more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (08/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 08, 2013, 04:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Prepare To Make Bid for Tottenham Midfielder Tom Huddlestone

Cottagers keen on signing unwanted Spurs midfielder.

Fulham are lining up a bid for Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone according to Goal.com. The bush-haired midfielder looks certain to leave the White Hart Lane club this summer after being told by Spurs boss Andre Vilas-Boas that he is surplus to requirements.

Huddlestone reportedly grew increasingly frustrated at his lack of first team opportunities last season and knows that his chances are unlikely to improve this time round after Tottenham confirmed the club record signing of Brazilian midfielder Paulinho.

With Huddlestone already finding himself behind the likes of Sandro, Lewis Holtby and Moussa Dembele in the pecking order, it is understood the 26 year old is ready to cut his losses and try his hand elsewhere.

Fulham were thought to have made a bid for Huddlestone during the January transfer window and it looks like they are ready to revive their interest in the player.

Their bid of £6 million was turned down but it is thought that Tottenham may be more open to the deal now that Sandro has returned from injury.

Fulham are expected to make an offer of £5 million this time around but Spurs are aware of interest from Sunderland in the player and are hoping to use that to push the fee back to the £6 million mark.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/07/07/fulham-prepare-to-make-bid-for-tottenham-midfielder-tom-huddlestone/?

WhiteJC

Memory Lane

From the past or present, each week we catch up with a different Fulham personality. This Sunday, Tony Gale discusses his breakthrough season at the Cottage.

Having recently unveiled our new Home Kit for the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League campaign, we cast our minds back 36 years to our first season playing in an adidas strip.

The 1977/78 campaign saw us sport the famous three stripes on our shirts for the inaugural time, and it was also the season when a teenage Tony Gale embarked on a Fulham career that would see him chalk up 318 appearances for the Club.

"At the start of the season before [1976/77], I was an apprentice and Bobby Moore hadn't come back from America in time to play in the two Anglo-Scottish cup games," Gale told the official website when recalling his early days at Fulham.

"So, at 16 years of age, I made my debut for Fulham in the Anglo-Scottish, against Leyton Orient away and Norwich at home. Bobby then returned from America and proceeded to play the whole season – he didn't miss a match, I don't think.

"I was substitute in a couple of matches, one of which was against Chelsea away in front of about 50,000 people, but I didn't make it on. That year, Bobby Campbell, the then-Manager, said: 'Look, we're grooming you to be Bobby's replacement – I'm going to make you captain of the Reserves.' So I was in the Reserves, 16/17 years of age, and captain. Then, the next season, I made my full debut."

Like most professionals who have played alongside – or had any dealings at all for that matter – with Moore, Tony speaks with awe when discussing England's World Cup winning skipper.

"Bobby Moore was just the best footballing defender I've ever seen in my life," he admitted. "Watching him at close quarters every day for a season was a joy, and I even played with him once for the Reserves.

"He'd come back from America and needed a bit of fitness work so they put him in the Reserves with me. You didn't really need to be told anything by Bobby, you just had to watch, and that was the way you did it."

With Moore playing his last game for Fulham in the final match of the 1976/77 season, the stage was set for the 17-year-old Gale to try and fill the biggest boots imaginable. He made an excellent start to his Craven Cottage career, making 38 appearances in his debut season, and notching eight times in the process – only striker John Mitchell scored more.

"That's incredible considering I got 24 in my career," Gale admitted. "A third of my goals were scored in my first season! But the explanation for that was that for quite a few of those games I was playing in a midfield area.

"Obviously I started off at the back; number six would have been my number, then I wore eight when I went into midfield, which was innovative from Bobby Campbell when we played a 4-3-3 formation. I think I scored six goals in the eight games I played in midfield that season, and then I returned to the back again. Obviously I was doing too well!

"To play 38 of the 42 matches in my breakthrough season was great and I'll be eternally grateful to Bobby Campbell for giving me my chance. Obviously in your first season you're going to have a few dodgy games, but he stuck by me."

The Whites finished 10th in Division Two that season. Despite boasting one of the league's best defensive records (we only conceded once in Gale's first six matches), we also struggled to find the net at the other end – we only scored once in those first six matches, too.

"We were pretty good defensively but we had trouble scoring goals," Gale explained. "But I always remember that we were a good footballing side and we had quite a few good youngsters coming through at that time.

"It was sort of a changing of the guard that was going on because a lot of the older players like Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh had left the season before, and they were replaced by the younger players such as myself, John Margerrison, Terry Bullivant, Brian Greenaway, Tony Mahoney – another fellow apprentice who got a chance. So quite a few youngsters were coming into the team."

Gale and his teammates were the first Fulham players to play in an adidas kit, and now, more than three-and-a-half decades later, the worldwide sports brand has joined forces with the Whites once again. It's a partnership that our former defender was happy to see re-established.

"It's brilliant," he said. "And it's ironic because West Ham have gone with adidas as well this season.

"So the two former clubs that I love in my heart – West Ham and Fulham – have gone back to the kit manufacturer that I started playing with. I've got to say that adidas is a classic kit and I'm so pleased that both teams have gone with them – particularly Fulham as the white and the black just stands out brilliantly.

"The adidas three stripes will always have a fond place in my heart. I used to wear adidas boots as well when I was starting out. I think it's a great move for the Club, a fantastic move, and I welcome it and look forward to seeing us play in the new kit as it will certainly take me back a bit."

The boys of 1977/78
Tony Gale played with some of Fulham's most influential characters in his first season as a professional. Here he talks about three of the more famous from our history who featured in that campaign.

Galey on Les Strong:
"It's funny that time's moved on so much that Les (pictured) is 60 now and still acting like a 16-year-old! But obviously Les was one of the big characters in the team. I think football has lost its characters and the more Les Strongs there are in the game, the better it will be. Football's become a little bit antiseptic now, as far as characters are concerned, but Les was one of the big characters in the team, and a very good player as well."

Galey on George Best:
"I think I played eight times with Bestie, and for six of them I was in midfield. To play alongside him was incredible – it was his last season with us, and it was my first season and I was just so lucky that those great times overlapped. You think that you're going to be playing with great players like that for the rest of your career – you don't realise at that age."

Galey on Gordon Davies:
"Gordon was very raw when he came out of non-league football. He'd come from Merthyr Tydfil and I remember him scoring a goal at Blackpool in his first season. You never know what players are going to be like when they're coming out of non-league, but he took to it like a duck to water. Gordon just had a sixth sense around the goal area – he had very, very quick feet and he took his chances, and that's why he went on to become our record goalscorer. I had a little bit of telepathy with Gordon at free-kicks as well where he would come, check, and then I'd spot him with a quick run. So Gordon can thank me for a lot of his goals!"

The new Home Kit will be available to buy instore from Thursday 11th July, and is available to pre-order now.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/07/memory-lane?

WhiteJC

FULHAM BOSS MARTIN JOL LOOKING TO SPEND BIG

FULHAM manager Martin Jol is hoping to use money from the Cottagers' record-breaking sponsorship deal to buy four or five more players before the new season starts.

He has already signed Fernando Amorebieta, Derek Boateng and Maarten Stekelenburg and has plenty of room for more new faces in his squad after releasing 12 players since the end of the last campaign.

Fulham recently secured the biggest sponsorship deal in the club's history with bookmaker Marathonbet, who replace FxPro and will have its logo displayed on the shirts worn by Fulham's first team and Under-21s.

Jol insists he is happy at Craven Cottage, despite reports suggesting he could be leaving in the near future.

Fulham only won one of their last eight games in 2012-13, form which led to speculation that Gus Poyet – currently in a dispute with his former employers Brighton – could replace Jol, 57.

But the Dutchman said: "I am very happy and we will try to get some players in.

"We need four, five or six players – but that's normal at any club."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/324971/?

WhiteJC

Jol targets 'five or six' deals
Martin Jol could sign up to six more players this summer and hopes to complete at least one deal before Fulham head to Costa Rica on tour.

Jol has already brought in Venezuela centre-back Fernando Amorebieta, Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng and Holland goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg on free transfers so far this summer.

The Cottagers boss has been heavily linked with moves for Tottenham midfielder Tom Huddlestone and is expected to seal a swoop soon for Wolves winger Bakary Sako, with talks already confirmed by the League One club.

In addition, Jol could bring Cameroon international Eyong Enoh back to west London after the defensive midfielder impressed on loan from Ajax in the second half of last season.

Jol said: "We were quite early getting Amorebieta and the others - we are very happy to have them on board. It's always nice to integrate them, and take the new players away with us.

"We are still working on one or two - we want them going with us as well. There will be one or two coming back, because we had a few loan players. I'll try to get them in now, because 14 players are left and we're still working on five or six players to come to this club.

"Three are already here so that was good, because most of the time you do your business late. This was quite early, so that was a positive sign."

Fulham will play three pre-season friendlies against Costa Rican Primera Division clubs at the Estadio Nacional in the capital of San Jose.

Next Sunday, they meet last season's Verano championship runners-up Cartagines, followed by a midweek clash against Bryan Ruiz's former club Alajuelense who were Invierno champions in December.

The tour concludes with Fulham taking on the most successful club in Costa Rican football history, Deportivo Saprissa, on Saturday 20 July.

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/8811824/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham news: Club in race for US teenager

Fulham are snapping up American wonder boy Danny Barbir - under the noses of some of the top clubs in Europe.

The giant teenage attacker is a stand-out in the United States youth set-up and has dazzled in training during a brief stay at Craven Cottage.

Barbir - whose dad is Romanian - has his own website and has also been approached by leading sides, with Spanish team Malaga already offering him a move.

But manager Martin Jol is now getting down to business and offering the 6ft 3in forward a deal that will see him join them when he turns 16.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/27793-fulham-news-club-in-race-for-us-teenager.php

WhiteJC

Europa League shock for former Fulham and Bristol Rovers man

Wayne Brown's TPS Turku were on the receiving end of one of the biggest shocks of the first batch of matches in the Europa League this season, falling to a 2-0 away defeat to Jeunesse Esch of Luxembourg. Goals from Khalid Benichou and Chi Wang sealed the win for the Luxembourgers, who have not won a match in Europe for nine years.   

Brown – formerly of Fulham and Bristol Rovers, is in his second spell at the Finnish club having being the Midfielder of the Season during his first spell back in 2009. The 24 year old lasted until midway through the second half when he was substituted, having struggled to get a foothold in the game until that point. According to local press reports, Brown had a quiet game and was sacrificed to make way for another striker. Despite a lively end to the game, TPS could not claw a goal back.

If Jeunesse manage to progress into the second qualifying round, it will be the first time they have done so since 1963. It's all for TPS to do.

http://lesrosbifs.org/europa-league-shock-for-former-fulham-and-bristol-rovers-man/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=europa-league-shock-for-former-fulham-and-bristol-rovers-man

WhiteJC

Fulham and Hull chasing £2million Sunderland reject Lee Cattermole

Axed Black Cats skipper will be left out of pre-season so he can sort out a move as Paolo Di Canio clears decks

Jack Wilshere holds off a challenge from Lee Cattermole (left)
Getty

Sunderland are letting axed skipper Lee Cattermole sort out a move - with Steve Bruce's Hull City and Fulham in the £2million race.

Boss Paolo di Canio has frozen out Cattermole as he tries to change his squad and that has alerted both former boss Bruce and admirers Fulham.

Cattermole is expected to be left out of Sunderland's pre-season camp today to let him discuss the transfers.

Di Canio wants Cattermole to move on but the player may yet ask the chasing clubs just to take him on loan as he still sees a long-term future with the Black Cats.

Sunderland have also left Phil Bardsley in the cold since as the row over being pictured on the floor surrounded by £50 notes on a night out.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-transfer-news-fulham-hull-2036812#ixzz2YQDbM4N7
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham look to poach USA giant superteen Danny Barbir when he turns 16

The boy wonder is on the radar of the likes of Malaga, but Fulham look to beat the rush for his first professional signature

Big lad Danny Barbir
Twitter

Fulham are snapping up American wonder boy Danny Barbir - under the noses of some of the top clubs in Europe.

The giant teenage attacker is a stand-out in the United States youth set-up and has dazzled in training during a brief stay at Craven Cottage.

Barbir - whose dad is Romanian - has his own website and has also been approached by leading sides, with Spanish team Malaga already offering him a move.

But Fulham are now getting down to business and offering the 6ft3in forward a deal that will see him join them when he turns 16.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-transfer-news-cottagers-poach-2036781#ixzz2YQDwub65
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Martin Jol fears being priced out of Eyong Enoh move

FULHAM boss Martin Jol fears being priced out of a move for Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh.

Enoh, 27, caught the eye during a loan spell at Craven Cottage last season and Jol is looking to bring him back on a full-time basis – if the £2m asking price comes down.

Jol said: "We have an option to sign Eyong permanently. but we have to make a decision now."

Fulham need to bolster their midfield after Chris Baird, Simon Davies, Mahamadou Diarra and Giorgios Karagounis were all shown the door.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/413210/Martin-Jol-fears-being-priced-out-of-Eyong-Enoh-move?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-sport-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Sport+Feed%29

WhiteJC

Newcastle heading queue of suitors for forgotten England star

Newcastle, Fulham and Hull City will fight it out for the signature of Aston Villa forward Darren Bent.

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert will accept bids as low as £5 million for the club's record signing Darren Bent, according to The Sun.

Newcastle, Fulham and Hull City have all shown an interest in the former England forward, who only managed three league goals last season.

Bent fell down the pecking order at Villa Park, and was kept out of the team by Belgian forward Christian Benteke, who bagged an impressive 23 goals in all competitions.

Joe Kinnear, Newcastle's new director of football, admitted in a controversial interview with talkSPORT that recruiting a new striker is his first priority this summer.

Fulham are looking to add raw goals to the touch and guile of Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz, and Hull City have made multiple bids for strikers already this summer.

Newcastle are said to be in pole position for Bent's signature, who would be keen on playing first-team football in an attempt to force himself back into the England set up in the run up to next summer's World Cup.

Aston Villa were looking to recoup £8 million for Bent, but are now willing to accept £5 million, as they are desperate to offload his £65,000 per week wages.

The striker is set for showdown talks with Villa bosses this week.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/newcastle-heading-queue-of-suitors-for-forgotten-england-star/126413/

WhiteJC

Fulham snubbed by Romania forward

Marius Alexe has chosen to ignore interest from Fulham and sign for Serie A newcomers Sassuolo.

Martin Jol was on the trail of the FC Dinamo Bucuresti star and hoped to do a deal with the Romanian club.

Alexe, 23, can play on the wing and up top, with Jol said to be impressed by his versatility.

However, Sassuolo recently registered their interest and it appears as though a deal could be concluded soon.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130708/fulham-snubbed-romania-forward-201168?#ixzz2YRx4UAJ5
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130708/fulham-snubbed-romania-forward-201168?#4EcmOxmLR4JXtOLR.99

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz eyes more goals

Fulham playmaker Bryan Ruiz has revealed that he wants to improve his form in front of goal next season.

The Costa Rican international, who joined the club for £10.6m from FC Twente in summer 2011, has netted seven times in two years at Craven Cottage.

"My goal for next season will be to score more goals," Ruiz told the club's official website. "I create a lot but I have to score more."

Fulham start the new Premier League campaign at Sunderland on August 17.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/ruiz-eyes-more-goals_92505.html

WhiteJC

Sutton United boss revels in the excitement of Arsenal, Chelsea and Fulham visits to Gander Green Lane

Sutton United boss Paul Doswell is ready to put on a show when three big names come to Gander Green Lane to kick off the pre-season programme.

Teams from Arsenal, Fulham and Chelsea will provide the opposition in three of the opening four friendly games – with AFC Wimbledon sandwiched inbetween.

Although tickets will be available on the gate, anyone buying tickets in advance online will not have to queue.

And with more than 1,000 tickets already sold for each game, Doswell advises anyone wanting a seat in the stand to get to the ground early, get settled, and enjoy the show.

"I have never known a pre-season as exciting as this," Doswell said.

"The players are excited about the games, it does not matter if you're 21 or 30 years old, to play against a top Premier League side is exciting, and we've been told they will bring strong sides."

He added: "The players will be running their socks off, but I know they will be chasing the ball a lot. The opposition are at a different level to us."

The idea behind the three glamour ties is to get fans through the gates and then keep their attention when the Blue Square South season gets underway.

Doswell believes United can only move forward as a club if the attendances increase and more money is generated.

He said: "There is an excitement around the club given the signings we have made, these friendly matches and the general vibe.

"We're hoping that some of those who come to the games enjoy the non-League experience, and decide to spend £12 to watch their local team rather than £50 to a Premier League match."

He added: "We should not forget that AFC Wimbledon are coming, as well as Aldershot and Cambridge United, these are still big teams.

"And the results are not hugely important. If we lose 10-0 to Chelsea, nevermind, but if we lose 10-0 to Farnborough just before the season starts, then I will be worried."

The schedule: Arsenal (July 12), Fulham (July 13), AFC Wimbledon (July 20), Chelsea (July 23), Cambridge United (July 27) and Aldershot Town (August 3).

To buy tickets online, go to suttonunited.net

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/headlinesport/10532841._/?

WhiteJC

Fulham locked in head-to-head battle with Benfica over Ghana star

Fulham are locked in a head-to-head battle with Benfica to land Ghana international Mohammed Rabiu.

Both sides have opened discussions with the midfielder's current club Evian.

Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol is looking to inject more youth into his squad and Rabiu, 23, fits the bill.

The Ghanaian, who has been capped eight times at senior level, is expected to cost Fulham around £2.6m.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130708/fulham-locked-head-head-battle-benfica-over-ghana-star-20117?#ixzz2YSKviAhR
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130708/fulham-locked-head-head-battle-benfica-over-ghana-star-20117?#PosfQiKRBLskdPD7.99

WhiteJC

Fulham, Benfica in hot chase for Ghana midfielder Rabiu Mohammed

Fulham and Benfica are in a tussle to sign Evian Ghana midfielder Rabiu Mohammed, GHANAsoccernet.com can exclusively reveal.

Officials of the two clubs from England and Portugal respectively have held discussions with Evian over the potential sale of the Ghanaian international.

The 23-year-old is one of Evian's most important players but are struggling to keep him at the club next season as stellar European clubs make enquiries about his availability.

The 23-year-old has been linked with Marseille but insiders have informed Ghana's number one football website, GHANAsoccernet.com, that Fulham and Benfica are the most serious contenders for his signature.

The discussion is believed to have reached an advanced stage with Evian likely to decide on one of the  two teams.

The ex-Liberty Professionals enforcer is valued at 3million Euros.

Mohammed shot to prominence this year as he has competed with some of the best players in the Ghana squad before sealing a permanent.

He has effortless slotted into Michael Essien's position in the squad fending off competition from other formidable players like Anthony Annan, Derek Boateng and Emmanuel Agyemang Badu who are all highly regarded.

Mohammed played a key role in helping Evian to reach the French FA Cup final and during last season he was rated among the best midfielders in France.

The Ghanaian international still under contract through to 2016 but could be sold to boost the coffers of the club who are seeking to make a foray into the transfer market.

Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol is looking to inject more youth into his squad and Rabiu, 23, fits the bill.

The Ghanaian, who has been capped eight times at senior level, is expected to cost Fulham around £2.6m.

Mohammed will talk about his future when returns from holidays in his native Ghana.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/fulham-benfica-in-hot-chase-for-ghana-midfielder-rabiu-mohammed/?

WhiteJC

Fulham priced out Cameroon international transfer?

Fulham could be priced out of a move for Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh.

The 27-year-old caught the eye of manager Martin Jol during a loan spell at Craven Cottage last season, and the Dutchman wants to bring him back on a permanent basis – however, the £2m asking price could prove to be a fatal deterrent.

Decision time

The Express reported that Jol said: "We have an option to sign Eyong permanently but we have to make a decision now."

Fulham need to bring in more midfielders after letting go Simon Davies, Mahamadou Diarra, Giorgios Karagounis and Chris Baird.

The 27-year-old made 9 appearances at Craven Cottage after joining them in January. He had been an important part of the set up at the Amsterdam ArenA from 2008 until 2011. However, since then he has featured only 14 times in the league in two seasons.

Ins and Outs

Fulham have already brought in four players this season. Maarten Stekelenburg has arrived from Roma for nearly £5m, Sascha Riether from Cologne for £1.2m, Fernando Amorebieta from Athletic Club on a free and Derek Boateng from Dnipro on a free transfer.

As well as the players mentioned above, the Londoners have also released Mladen Petric, Mark Schwarzer, Richard Peniket, Corey Gameiro and Dan Burn.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/fulham-priced-out-cameroon-international-transfer/56745/?

WhiteJC

Fulham battle for Ghana midfielder

Fulham are keen on Evian's 3million euro-rated midfielder Rabiu Mohammed but face competition from Benfica, reports in Ghana suggest.

Mohammed, who has been capped eight times by the Black Stars, is expected to leave Evian during the summer and Fulham officials are believed to have held talks with the French side regarding a potential deal. However, Portuguese giants Benfica are also believed to have opened discussions with Evian and Fulham boss Martin Jol could face a battle to capture the highly-rated 23-year-old. Both Fulham and Benfica are willing to match Evian's 3million euro asking price, while Marseille have also been credited with an interest in Mohammed.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-battle-for-ghana-midfielder-1605516.html?

MikeR

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 08, 2013, 01:29:38 PM
As well as the players mentioned above, the Londoners have also released ... Dan Burn.
Whaddya know - we've released Burn just days after signing him to a new contract.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

Roberty

Quote from: MikeR on July 08, 2013, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on July 08, 2013, 01:29:38 PM
As well as the players mentioned above, the Londoners have also released ... Dan Burn.
Whaddya know - we've released Burn just days after signing him to a new contract.

Whaddya know - wrong information - he signed a 2 year contract extension that also has an option for a further year - so he is signed until June 2016.
His move to Birmingham was as a loan signing.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy