Main Menu

New Signing?!

Started by Northern Cottager, July 11, 2013, 10:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

God The Mechanic

Quote from: cmg on July 11, 2013, 01:43:00 PM
Quote from: Northern Cottager on July 11, 2013, 01:35:43 PM
Quote from: The Moose on July 11, 2013, 01:12:41 PM
There's no guarantee Jol will get more funds. The new owner could be a cowboy in ir solely for profit a la The Glazer's. A bit racist of me but I'm not particularly keen on an American taking over. There's a good chance he'll demand Jol sign American's and this will inevitably lead to a flood of Parsons and Dallas types.
Al Fayed did a superb job and the likes of Jenkins and Kenright do too. Sure they may not invest enough but they are fully aware of the size of their club. We don't need our own Fernandes to ruin the club.
I wonder whether Khan even understands the rules of football?

Oh god, Now I'm feeling nervous again!

Don't panic. How many club directors (or supporters, or players, or even referees) do understand the rules of football?

If ownership of football clubs was restricted to those who understand the rules we'd be down to you, me and that geeky bloke who turns up on television now again talking about quantum physics (and, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure about you).

I wasn't around then, but I'm sure there were similar concerns when Mo took over.  If not...

Northern Cottager

There's no guarantee Jol will get more funds. The new owner could be a cowboy in ir solely for profit a la The Glazer's. A bit racist of me but I'm not particularly keen on an American taking over. There's a good chance he'll demand Jol sign American's and this will inevitably lead to a flood of Parsons and Dallas types.
Al Fayed did a superb job and the likes of Jenkins and Kenright do too. Sure they may not invest enough but they are fully aware of the size of their club. We don't need our own Fernandes to ruin the club.

Don't panic. How many club directors (or supporters, or players, or even referees) do understand the rules of football?

If ownership of football clubs was restricted to those who understand the rules we'd be down to you, me and that geeky bloke who turns up on television now again talking about quantum physics (and, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure about you).

Cheers CMG ! :)

filham

It would seem unlikely that MAF will sanction big transfer money being spent while attempting to complete negotiations for the sale of the club. Lets just hope the negotiations are completed quickly , any major hold up and we start the season short of good players in one or two areas.

The manager must be in a very difficult position unable to bring in players and of course his own job must be on the line.

BarryP

Technically you are probably not being racist just bigoted. You do recall that MAF wasn't British either.  Just a foreign businessman who took an interest in Fulham.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Holders

Quote from: BarryP on July 11, 2013, 08:00:03 PM

Technically you are probably not being racist just bigoted. You do recall that MAF wasn't British either.  Just a foreign businessman who took an interest in Fulham.

If it's Khan don't you think we should give the bloke a chance?  He seems to be a good businessman and Jacksonville seem to like him.

He's not American by birth - he lived in Pakistan until he was 16 so will at least understand cricket and hopefully have an appreciation of football as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jmh

A)  An American owner will definitely demand that the manager sign American players, which is why Manchester United have so many American players.
B)  An American owner will be in it solely for profit, which is why Manchester United haven't won anything since the Glazers bought the club.

Riverside

A step closer to being the Man U of the South ?

Bassey the warrior

The best owners are people who know and love the game. They tend to be more willing to back the manager and to stick by him when times are hard, and perhaps most importantly they give him the freedom to sigh his own transfer targets.
I'm talking about those I mentioned and I'd add to that Peter Coates (even though I hate Stoke) and the mutual ownership of Swansea with Huw Jenkns as chairman. Jeremy Peace is also a good one.

Bassey the warrior

Mo is Egyptian, not American.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: jmh on July 11, 2013, 08:19:44 PM
A)  An American owner will definitely demand that the manager sign American players, which is why Manchester United have so many American players.
B)  An American owner will be in it solely for profit, which is why Manchester United haven't won anything since the Glazers bought the club.
Man Utd are the biggest football brand in the world. They've already broken the US market. They'reone of the richest too, possibly the richest. And yet Ferguson has very little to spend relative to the other huge clubs. He had to bring Scholes out of retirement because they wouldn't allow him to splash out on a successor.

jmh

Quote from: The Moose on July 11, 2013, 08:55:49 PM
Man Utd are the biggest football brand in the world. They've already broken the US market. They'reone of the richest too, possibly the richest. And yet Ferguson has very little to spend relative to the other huge clubs. He had to bring Scholes out of retirement because they wouldn't allow him to splash out on a successor.
None of that proves what you said previously about demanding signing Americans or being in it only for profit.  And you're saying that the problem with the way the Glazers run United is that they don't spend enough money?  Really? 

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: jmh on July 11, 2013, 09:34:05 PM
None of that proves what you said previously about demanding signing Americans or being in it only for profit.  And you're saying that the problem with the way the Glazers run United is that they don't spend enough money?  Really? 
Liverpool tried to get Dempsey mainly for marketing purposes, same with Villa and Brasley. Utd are the exception because they already have a huge following in America.
And yes given how much money they make from Man Utd they don't spend much.  By all rights Man Utd should've come third last season, they have the third best squad behind Man City and Chelsea. It was the Fergie factor along with RVP that saw them to the title.

BarryP

Quote from: The Moose on July 11, 2013, 08:41:26 PM

Technically you are probably not being racist just bigoted. You do recall that MAF wasn't British either.  Just a foreign businessman who took an interest in Fulham.

Duh on the Mo is Egyptian comment.  That still makes him a foreign businessman in terms of being Britiish! Like I said, your comment was bigoted which you have only further pointed out.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

BarryP

Quote from: The Moose on July 11, 2013, 10:14:07 PM
Liverpool tried to get Dempsey mainly for marketing purposes, same with Villa and Brasley. Utd are the exception because they already have a huge following in America.
And yes given how much money they make from Man Utd they don't spend much.  By all rights Man Utd should've come third last season, they have the third best squad behind Man City and Chelsea. It was the Fergie factor along with RVP that saw them to the title.

grasping + straws

jmh

And yes given how much money they make from Man Utd they don't spend much.  By all rights Man Utd should've come third last season, they have the third best squad behind Man City and Chelsea. It was the Fergie factor along with RVP that saw them to the title.
So "demanding that the manager sign Americans" equals trying to sign one American player and failing?  

And why do you assume that either of those signings were for marketing purposes?  Dempsey had scored 17 league goals the season before Liverpool tried to sign him, a season where they scored just 47, their fewest in the entire Premier League era.  Yeah, there's no other reason than marketing that they might have wanted him.  And Michael Bradley is a 25-year-old box-to-box midfielder who's been a regular in Serie A for two years, and was a regular in the Bundesliga for two years even before he was on loan at Villa, but they couldn't possibly have been interested in him for that reason.  Now, Villa actually HAVE signed American players, but given that Brad Friedel has been an established Premier League keeper for ages, and that Brad Guzan was their Player of the Year in his first full year as a Premier League keeper, it's pretty clear that they have actual value and aren't just there for marketing.  

And why should United spend more money than they do?  They've won the Premier League five of the eight years that the Glazers have owned the club, often by large margins, and barely missed out on two more, last year by goal difference and in 2010 by one point.  How much more money should they spend, and what would be the point?  Having a whole bunch more players doesn't guarantee success, as you yourself noted regarding Chelsea and City.  Should they spend another 50 million pounds a year and win the league by 17 points instead of 11?

And, you can't dismiss van Persie as if he's not a part of this.  They spent, what, 24 million pounds on a 29-year-old who'll have no resale value at the end of his contract?  And, in doing so, bought the best player away from one of their rivals the summer after he'd been the only guy in the league who scored more goals than a guy they already had.  So, yes, by all rights they should've have finished third, except that they spent a lot of money and bought the best player in the league.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: BarryP on July 11, 2013, 10:17:49 PM

Duh on the Mo is Egyptian comment.  That still makes him a foreign businessman in terms of being Britiish! Like I said, your comment was bigoted which you have only further pointed out.
Where did I say I have a problem with foreign businessman? It's always useful to read a comment properly before replying to it.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: BarryP on July 11, 2013, 10:21:21 PM

grasping + straws
How so?

dino1828

Ok question, what is the best way to build a teamin the league building itfromwithin with your own young players or is it spending money for free agents? Oh and is there a salary cap?

BarryP

Quote from: The Moose on July 12, 2013, 12:00:31 AM

Duh on the Mo is Egyptian comment.  That still makes him a foreign businessman in terms of being Britiish! Like I said, your comment was bigoted which you have only further pointed out.
Where did I say I have a problem with foreign businessman? It's always useful to read a comment properly before replying to it.

I fully understood the bigoted nature of your comment.  It's just an American businessman you have a problem with. Your prejudice was fully understood.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: BarryP on July 12, 2013, 12:35:15 AM
Quote from: The Moose on July 12, 2013, 12:00:31 AM

I fully understood the bigoted nature of your comment.  It's just an American businessman you have a problem with. Your prejudice was fully understood.
You clearly didn't or you wouldn't have brought Mo into it. That is completely irrelevant. I'm using evidence here, I'm not making a point to say I hate Americans ergo American owners are bad. Hating a nation of people is absurd. Though I must admit to despising much of the capitalist culture over there.