watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jacksonville jaguars

Started by kempkong, July 13, 2013, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

I have registered as grandad & I am waiting for validation.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Aaron

Packers fan here so unfortunately can't jump on the Jaguars band wagon..

Incidentally, I think FF has a point.  I never thought I'd see it happen, but I reckon soccer could be the biggest sport in the US in 10 or 15 years time.

Buffalo76

Quote from: dino1828 on July 13, 2013, 05:35:33 PM
Quote from: Buffalo76 on July 13, 2013, 05:32:51 PM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on July 13, 2013, 04:13:50 PM
Quote from: mangoputney on July 13, 2013, 04:02:14 PM
Sorry... The proper Florida team for me... fins up #perfect

But been a massive follower since 1986 so ping me any questions

Glory hunter   :022:

If you're a glory hunter then you don't follow Miami   064.gif

Well the same can be said for the Bills

But i never said i was a glory hunter did i,  smart ass.

SoCalJoe

Quote from: Aaron on July 13, 2013, 09:24:03 PM
Packers fan here so unfortunately can't jump on the Jaguars band wagon..

Incidentally, I think FF has a point.  I never thought I'd see it happen, but I reckon soccer could be the biggest sport in the US in 10 or 15 years time.

It won't be the biggest sport in the US as far as popularity anytime in our lifetimes, or our kids' lifetimes. The attendance and quality of the MLS has grown exponentially, but nobody watches it on tv. American viewership has exploded for the Premiership, Champions League, and World Cup because for the casual sports fan they know it's the best of the best. However, the sport is just beginning to be semi-accepted by the mainstream media that has always ripped it apart, and as pointed out the 2 hours for a match is good for the ADHD generation.

As far as the Jags are concerned, they hit rock bottom the year before Kahn got there, and because their quarterback is horrendous they will be lucky to win 5 or 6 games this season. As a life-long Seattle Seahawk fan I think the Jags made a great hire in the new coach (who was an assistant is Seattle), but you can't have the worst quarterback in the league and win.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

Rhys Lightning 63

Read it and weep. STILL top of the food chain, despite San Fran's best efforts last year
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

First State

Quote from: NadsFromMauritius on July 13, 2013, 02:28:50 PM
Is American Football the same as French Rugby? I've seen some matches, and I totally love it (mainly the fights which are kind of brutal). The players are like gladiators and when I watch a match, I'm more like under the impression that I'm visualising a fighting game.

That would be Ice Hockey my friend.

First State

Quote from: Buffalo76 on July 13, 2013, 05:32:51 PM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on July 13, 2013, 04:13:50 PM
Quote from: mangoputney on July 13, 2013, 04:02:14 PM
Sorry... The proper Florida team for me... fins up #perfect

But been a massive follower since 1986 so ping me any questions

Glory hunter   :022:

If you're a glory hunter then you don't follow Miami   064.gif

If you're looking for a Fulhamish team, the Philadelphia Eagles welcome you with open arms. Go Eagles!

dino1828

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on July 13, 2013, 11:48:25 PM

Read it and weep. STILL top of the food chain, despite San Fran's best efforts last year

OMG dude the last decade before last year 9ers were the as bad as the Jaguars are now shut up! Wow all these NFL fans here in England, I  thought it was not very popular over there?

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: dino1828 on July 13, 2013, 11:56:43 PM
Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on July 13, 2013, 11:48:25 PM

OMG dude the last decade before last year 9ers were the as bad as the Jaguars are now shut up! Wow all these NFL fans here in England, I  thought it was not very popular over there?

Selling out 85,000 at Wembley every year would prove otherwise. I still maintain that San Fran would have won that Superbowl with Alex Smith at QB, but yes before last year, they were just god awful
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

dino1828

I get in that argument with every 9ers fan How would Alex be better, Alex Smith for 6 years was as bad as Blaine Gabbert, Alex had 1 and 1/2 good seasons.

YankeeJim

I should warm my fellow yanks that if you keep on talking about pointy ball on the main forum, the locals will take offense.
Take it to the exiles & lower class board.  :033:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

dino1828

We did not put this on the main board one of you Brits did.

First State

PaulUMD

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 13, 2013, 10:44:31 AM
Here's what you need to know.  The sport is in a slow death spiral.  Mothers are keeping their children out of school teams and 'Pop Warner' (nonschool recreation) leagues in ever increasing numbers.  The concussion injury studies are damning.  The players have a massive class action suit against the league, claiming it covered up its own studies about the effects of concussions, the likelihood of getting a concussion playing the game, the incidents of concussions.  It doesn't matter if you have state of the art helmets.  When 250-to-350 monsters collide into each other, especially with all the performance enhancing drugs making them nuttier and unnaturally stronger, and their helmets come in contact, the brain is suddenly forced to the back of the brain pan, like a boxer taking a punch to the head, but sometimes worse, as an arm throwing a punch cant be equated with enormous men running full speed at each other.  Some predict the game will become even more ghetto-ized than it is now because of the concussion scare, and the scare of advanced arthritis and other maladies that appear in young player retirees.  So, if suburban moms are saying 'no' in increasing numbers, then who is left to play the game?  And if you haven't played the game--at any level--you have less interest in it.  Too many other divertisements compete for your ever-shrinking free time.  Your smart phone.  Online gaming.  Hand held device gaming, incessant texting, posting of inane sentence fragments to one another...   But it isn't just NFL football that is running on vapors (ticket prices are ridiculous).  Most baseball teams are seeing trailing attendance figures.  And low TV ratings.  The NHL hockey league and its players union have shot themselves in the foot so many times that, today, you have to hunt to find a game being broadcast on first or second tier TV network.  The NBA?  I'd have to check, but I suspect fan interest is flagging.  Suburban kids, middle class, upper middle class, lower middle class, they are playing soccer.  It doesn't take much to forecast a rosier picture for U.S. soccer. 

Wow this could not be more wrong. 

I will also add that the Jags are a terrible franchise but Khan has done good things in his short time in charge. 

Artful Dodger

Sorry, Patriots fan here! Started following American Football in about 1984 when it first came on tv over here and chose the patriots since they had 'England' in the name (ok, I was only about 12 and needed a reason to follow someone!!).
Faber est suae quisque fortunae