watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

After last night

Started by kempkong, July 15, 2013, 11:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kempkong

I watched the game last night and whilst it was a good win especially for a friendly it was clear we are lacking in key areas;

LB - neither Riise or Richardson are good enough and it was clear last night we need a better option unless Briggs is ready...?

RB - we could do with cover here even if its just a loan player because if Riether gets injured we're screwed

CM - serious issues here Sidwell is just not good enough to push us forward, boatang is good and will be better with time but is all about protecting the back 4. No creativity there whatsoever

ST - we will start with berba and Ruiz but it would be good to not have to rely on rodders. I would love to see us get a young untapped  striker who can get some game time as a sub.

We should be able to get all of these for less than 25 million...now lets hope we get some cash.

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Agreed with everything you said. We also need another winger because I am afraid Duffer has lost it and we need competition for Dejagah and Kaca...
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

Lighthouse

Not sure last nights game did anything to change my mind about what we still need. Still need another forward. Full back cover and yes first team left back although Riise did ok last night. People are making Sidwell out to be the weakest link. He isn't but yes we could do with one more central midfielder especially as Enoh wasn't really there at all.

But another forward to add something we haven't got up front is essential and the depth of the squad is poor in places. But not a huge sum needed.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

tommy

I don't think you can judge Duff in yesterday, you gotta remember its gonna take him a while to get for.

zschwartz

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 15, 2013, 11:42:51 AM
Not sure last nights game did anything to change my mind about what we still need. Still need another forward. Full back cover and yes first team left back although Riise did ok last night. People are making Sidwell out to be the weakest link. He isn't but yes we could do with one more central midfielder especially as Enoh wasn't really there at all.

But another forward to add something we haven't got up front is essential and the depth of the squad is poor in places. But not a huge sum needed.

ya, would be a shame to read too much into the single friendly after the break but i thought Riise had a fine game. A few very decent crosses and won a penalty going around 3 players. he was a constant threat on the overlap. if anything the performance pushed jol to downplay the significance of bringing in a replacement with richardson's rotation.

Creative CM, backup RB and backup striker i agree with (in that order) and am hopeful we can get some quality in before the window winds down.

SKSW6

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on July 15, 2013, 11:38:14 AM
Agreed with everything you said. We also need another winger because I am afraid Duffer has lost it and we need competition for Dejagah and Kaca...

If Frei stays and Mesca makes the step up then I don't think it's particularly a priority. I don't think Duff's as bad as everyone makes him out to be either, but don't think he should be a starter.

EJL

BASICALLY, KHAN, SPLASH THAT DOSH. In all seriousness, Richardson wasn't poor last night, his performance was just uneventful. Same goes for Riise, although his was eventful with him being extremely wasteful. However, it was a friendly, so I don't know why it matters that much whether anyone played 'badly' or not. Number one area for improvement is still bringing in that elusive creative midfielder.

westcliff white

i agree with the sentiments but a CM that is a good passer is the priority.

However I cannot see us spending any money from Mr Kahn until he has met up with Martin Jol. Kahn is going to Costa Rica apparently sometime this week to meet him, then in the days/weeks to follow I think it will be come clearer in terms of funds available, and who we will look (if anyone) to sign.
Every day is a Fulham day

cebu

Quote from: westcliff white on July 15, 2013, 12:32:04 PM
i agree with the sentiments but a CM that is a good passer is the priority.

However I cannot see us spending any money from Mr Kahn until he has met up with Martin Jol. Kahn is going to Costa Rica apparently sometime this week to meet him, then in the days/weeks to follow I think it will be come clearer in terms of funds available, and who we will look (if anyone) to sign.

Khan did mention in one of his interviews that he would invite Jol & Hangeland to visit him this week.

westcliff white

thats what I am referring to, however i thought he said he would be going to CR and seeing them there
Every day is a Fulham day

Northern Cottager

I panic every time Richardson goes to sprint or even pick the ball up for a throwing. I think I'd be happy to see Mesca and Frei and Kaca with Kasami. The problem however is Jol probably won't use them from the off and we'll be stuck with limited options and us crying out for more players come December.

HatterDon

twenty-two guys played for Fulham yesterday. TWENTY-TWO Nobody played more than 45 minutes. How anybody can parse anything from the results of the first practice match of a season is beyond me. I think Jol could deduce more about what is needed from one good afternoon at Motspur Park than any of us could based upon that match.

I'm just glad to see Dejagah's name on the team sheet and, if nobody got hurt, I'm thrilled.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

well said Don.

SIDWELL...I wish people would stop knocking him. He has his limitations but we saw what happened to the team when he missed games at the end of the season. He was the main man and he got sent off twice because he was the only player actually trying to win the ball when several others had their holidays booked at 40 points.

For over 40 years I have seen a lot of poor players at Fulham but never have wished any ill will or criticised like some supporters do. We are Fulham supporters. An opinion is fine but abusive comments is not and SS has received more than his fair share. (That's my opinion, not trying to wind anyone up).

FFC1987

Quote from: jarv on July 15, 2013, 01:08:18 PM
well said Don.

SIDWELL...I wish people would stop knocking him. He has his limitations but we saw what happened to the team when he missed games at the end of the season. He was the main man and he got sent off twice because he was the only player actually trying to win the ball when several others had their holidays booked at 40 points.

For over 40 years I have seen a lot of poor players at Fulham but never have wished any ill will or criticised like some supporters do. We are Fulham supporters. An opinion is fine but abusive comments is not and SS has received more than his fair share. (That's my opinion, not trying to wind anyone up).

Just to clarify, I whole heartedly disagree with your second paragraph. I'll respect it but clearly we were watching two different players. Whilst scanning up in this thread, no one has been out of line or within the scope of abusing SS. (Maybe on other threads but this one has been clean *after a quick scan)

JBH

Once again we have the merchants of doom posting on here about how poor certain players are etc, etc.

It is basically a training camp in Costa Rica with a few games thrown in and this will be used to assess the squads strengths and weakness in a view to seeing what positiions we need to invest in prior to the start of the season.

So enjoy the sunshine and leave the issues of the squad to MJ who is far more qualified to deal with them than all of us put together.

Remember this is real life not Football Manager 13 or FIFA 13   fp.gif

RaySmith

You're right  JBH, though i don't think Jol is using these games to really assess the squad's strengths and  weaknesses - he surely is already aware of these.

These are meaningless friendlies, and thus  don't have any significance - and are  just to do with gauging/improving fitness  , as part of pre-season training..as well, in this case, as a marketing/public relations exercise .

Admin

Quote from: tommy on July 15, 2013, 11:43:24 AM
I don't think you can judge Duff in yesterday, you gotta remember its gonna take him a while to get for.

Take him a while?! Damien Duff is now 34. His days of skinning defenders are gone. Unfortunately, he's in his last year for the club and will only be a bit part player this season. 

kempkong

One thing was clear the players worked really hard and kept running do hopefully that means jol has said his starting 11 is up for grabs to the players who perform best. I would lie to see kasami get game time when Ruiz is being rested.

ToodlesMcToot

I'm just too happy at having the chance to see Fulham playing again to be critical of anything. The feed was great for the most part, no one on the team got hurt (maybe Amorebieta will have a bruise on his knee cap  :005: ), and it was an entertaining game.

As a bonus, I'm actually excited about the remainder of this transfer window.  :54:

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

cebu

Quote from: westcliff white on July 15, 2013, 12:36:54 PM
thats what I am referring to, however i thought he said he would be going to CR and seeing them there

Unfortunately, I don't know which statement is newer. Maybe he decided visiting the whole squad in CR was a better idea.