watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (02.05.10)

Started by White Noise, May 01, 2010, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/800906/SCHWARZER-GERMAN-TAUNTS-FIRED-US-UP.html

SCHWARZER: GERMAN TAUNTS FIRED US UP

Why Thursday was a good night for Fulham

By Aidan Magee, 01/05/2010

MARK SCHWARZER only needed to look at the German newspapers after last week's first leg in Hamburg to help inspire Fulham to the Europa League final.

The Australian keeper's parents are from southern Germany and emigrated from the country four years before Schwarzer was born.

The Fulham star is fluent in the language and was shocked at the rough treatment his side received at the hands of so-called local experts covering the game.

He read out some of the cutting remarks on the plane home from Hamburg last Friday and believes it gave the players added determination against the Bundesliga side as they won through to a final showdown with Atletico Madrid on May 12.

Fulham edged out Hamburg 2-1 on the night with goals from Simon Davies and Zoltan Gera after the goalless draw at the Nordbank Arena a week earlier.

It means Schwarzer will have a chance to make amends for the 4-0 thrashing he suffered with Middlesbrough in the UEFA Cup final in Eindhoven in 2006.

"When people keep putting you down it lifts you," he said.

"I said to the boys after last week's game that a lot of the so-called German experts had written us off and said we weren't any good.

"They had written and said that Hamburg only had to come to Craven Cottage and play decent football and they would beat us.

"I translated the papers and heard the reports and that got players going even more so. And we showed them what we could do with a great performance.

"I don't think Hamburg can have any complaints about the way the game went on the night. It just shows what you can do if you believe strongly enough.

"I've said to the players all through this campaign 'you've just got to believe', have faith in the team and what we're doing and really go for it.

"I don't think anybody would have thought that Fulham would be where they are today. It just goes to show that anything's possible.

"When I played for Middlesbrough against Sevilla, 4-0 was not an accurate reflection of the way the game went. We conceded three in the last 15 minutes while we were chasing the game and Mark Viduka missed a chance from six yards out.

"Don't forget also how good Sevilla were. They won the UEFA Cup the year after and then went on to play in the Champions League."
Memorable

Schwarzer, 37, whose side host West Ham today, believed his chance of appearing in another European final had passed him by.

The Australian international also gave a unique insight into the kind of team spirit that has kept Fulham going in the competition and seen them produce memorable fightbacks on the way to the final in Hamburg in 11 days' time.

"Our song tonight was 'I've Got a Feeling' by the Black Eyed Peas. That was played many times before the game," said the Sydney-born keeper.

"Why did we choose that one? Simple, we had a feeling that tonight was going to be a good night! One of our keepers Pascal Zuberbuhler kept playing it and we said 'it's broken, it's on repeat' so it just kept on playing and playing.

"In the end the boys are going 'oh my God, can you turn it over,' but afterwards they were all saying we've got to keep playing it from now on."

Roy Hodgson has hinted that he is ready to throw in the towel on his attempt to lead his Euro heroes to another top 10 finish.

The Fulham boss admits he will be asking a bit much of his side to finish strongly in their last three games because they have already played 59 games this campaign.

It means the club will almost certainly miss out on up to £3million of prize money as a result of having to name weakened sides in their remaining games as they prepare for the Europa League final a week on Thursday. Fulham were spared a fine or even a possible points deduction by the Premier League this week when West Ham's complaint that Hodgson had rested key players in the defeat at Hull on March 27 was dismissed.

Outstanding

Last season they achieved their highest place finish in the top flight since they were promoted nine years ago, and the Fulham chief believes a similar feat will have to be sacrificed if they are to have a realistic chance of beating Atletico Madrid in Hamburg.

"Thursday was our 59th game of the season and the players have been outstanding," said Hodgson.

"I don't have a big squad and many of these players have played a large number of games and we've still got four to go, so it is going to be quite incredible.

"More attention will now focus on the final and everyone will understand that.

"It would be nice if we could keep our league form going but I can't keep whipping these boys time and time again.

"I suppose they could crack up but they haven't done so for 59 games so maybe I will manage to get another four out of them. It's been hard because we are playing such good teams.

"We had to beat Basel and Roma to get into the group stages and then we played Shakhtar, Juventus and Wolfsburg, the German champions.

"I don't think there was ever going to be an easy way and we have to be happy that we could compete let alone beat them."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/800961/SUNDERLAND-PURSUE-CITY-ACE-IRELAND.html

SUNDERLAND PURSUE CITY ACE IRELAND

Zamora interest likely to be in vain

By Neil Ashton, 01/05/2010

STEVE BRUCE wants Manchester City outcast Stephen Ireland in a £4million deal this summer.

The Sunderland chief is convinced he can resurrect Ireland's career after a frustrating season on the sidelines at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Ireland was City's Player of the Year last term, but is one of a number of stars expected to leave the club this summer.

He has made just 16 Premier League starts this season, but has rarely featured under Roberto Mancini.

Bruce also fancies Fulham striker Bobby Zamora, but Roy Hodgson will offer him an improved contract this summer.

The Black Cats chief is also keen to tie down loan signing Alan Hutton from Tottenham on a permanent deal.

The Scottish right-back has already become a firm favourite with Sunderland fans who call him the 'white Cafu' after the Brazilian World Cup-winning wing wizard.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/800980/YOURE-JUST-TOO-FUL-OF-YOURSELF-JOSE.html

YOU'RE JUST TOO FUL OF YOURSELF, JOSE

Inter boss could take a leaf out of Hodgson's book

01/05/2010

WHEN Jose Mourinho was manager of Chelsea and I was boss at Macclesfield, we were drawn together in the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge.

Jose couldn't have been nicer. In the build-up to the game he paid us the ultimate compliment of scouting Macclesfield in the same way he would have Manchester United or Arsenal for a Premier League game.

Although we lost 6-1 there was no crowing from Mourinho. In fact, he went round every single one of the players and shook their hands, got them signed Chelsea shirts and treated us wonderfully.

In short, he was a class act.

So, having seen that side of Jose, it really wound me up on Wednesday when he showed another side of him that does him no favours whatsoever.

Beating Barcelona over two legs was a magnificent achievement and I know from personal experience how much it would have meant to every single Inter fan to make it to the Champions League Final.

But why did Jose have to make it all about himself? Why that mental run across the pitch at the final whistle? Why all the showboating?

Don't get me wrong, his record is absolutely phenomenal. If you want a guarantee of success, dig deep and hire Mourinho, no question.

Wednesday night, though, should have been about the Inter players.

As a manager, you can plan and organise until you're blue in the face but it's about the fellas who actually go out onto the pitch and make it happen that count.

People like Lucio, Walter Samuel, Wesley Sneijder and Esteban Cambiasso, players who ran themselves into the ground, put their bodies on the line and who fought until they dropped to keep Barcelona.

They were the heroes in the Nou Camp not a bloke in a suit, no matter how big a part Mourinho played.

To me it looked like nothing more than an audition for any Real Madrid director or fan who was watching.

Look at me, look what I did to your biggest rivals in the Nou Camp. Gissa job and I'll do the same on a regular basis next season.

Contrast that with Roy Hodgson 24 hours later.

I would argue that taking Fulham to the final of the Europa League is a greater achievement that Inter reaching the Champions League Final yet what did Roy do at the final whistle?

He shook hands with his staff. He commiserated with the Hamburg bench and then he quietly walked off across the Craven Cottage pitch and into the dressing rooms.

There was no hogging the limelight. No leaping about or self-congratulation, he just acted with absolute dignity even though he must have been bubbling inside.

Even the next day he wasn't telling the world what a brilliant job he'd done. Roy simply accepted all the praise and spoke with great humility, paying tribute to his players and then insisting he'd keep his feet on the ground because Fulham hadn't actually won anything yet.

That's a mark of the man, somebody with wonderful experience who's seen the best and worst side of football and never acted any differently.

A few weeks ago I said that Roy would be my manager of the year and Thursday night simply underlined how brilliantly he's done this season.

If he wins that award, then I'm sure he'll be happy. If Jose won it, he'd be rubbing everybody's noses in it from now to next season.

Both men are fantastic managers. Only one has real dignity.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/800821/Hodgson-takes-Rob-Shepherds-vote-for-boss-of-the-season.html

ROY'S THE BOY FOR MY MANAGER OF THE YEAR VOTE

European exploits make Fulham boss the ideal choice

Rob Shepherd thinks Capello should succeed Sir Alex.

01/05/2010

A COUPLE of months ago when I ventured to suggest that Roy Hodgson should be considered as manager of the year, the most polite remark I got was: "That's a bit left field."

Now everyone thinks Hodgson should get a gong.

I just hope the Fulham boss and his team go on to beat Atletico Madrid in the Europa League final later this month.

That would be another testament to the virtues of 'old school' management and why, if Fabio Capello does quit England in the summer, Hodgson is the best man to take over.

He was a better bet than Sven Goran Eriksson when Kevin Keegan quit in 2001.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/800772/WILLIAMS-FEARS-LIBERTY-STADIUM-EXODUS.html

Leon Britton, who will be out of contract at the end of the season, is also wanted by Wigan while Spanish full-back Angel Rangel is on Fulham's shopping list.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7664227/Fulhams-miracle-season-has-been-built-on-hard-work-says-manager-Roy-Hodgson.html

Fulham's 'miracle' season has been built on hard work, says manager Roy Hodgson

As an endorsement it does not get much more effusive. Sir Alex Ferguson was filled with boyish enthusiasm as he described Roy Hodgson's achievements with Fulham this season as a "miracle".

By Duncan White

Published: 4:41PM BST 01 May 2010

The story is captivating. As successive European giants have been put to the sword, the money-saturated cynicism of modern football has faded, replaced by the honest and naïve celebration of heroic achievement. It is fairy-tale stuff down at the Cottage.

Hodgson is not easily turned. He is proud, fiercely so, of what his team has achieved but also alert to any hint of condescension towards Fulham. Yet, fresh from speaking to Sir Alex to thank him for his support, even he is ready to concede that these are special, probably unique, times in the history of this club.

"We really need to enjoy this while it lasts because this will not happen to Fulham every year," he said. "It might have captured the imagination because it taps in to what sport is about, overcoming the odds. What it does is show that with a good bunch of players, who are willing to sacrifice their egos to the greater good, you can achieve more than you might imagine.

"I want to savour this because you know next season I have to get back to my main job which is keeping Fulham in the Premier League. It has been an amazing challenge – starting in July and ending in May. I'm not a great lover of comparisons but it is one of the best moments in my career. I remember when I won my first championship with Halmstads in 1976.

"I never thought it would get better than that. However, these two seasons can compare with anything I have achieved in the game. When I have retired and look back at my career I'm sure these days will be among the very best of my memories."

As Basel, Roma, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, Wolfsburg and Hamburg were left in their wake, the inspiring comparison drawn is that of Greece, who won Euro 2004 as complete outsiders. Fulham, though, have managed to beat some of the best sides in Europe while also fighting on the Premier League front and, crucially, they have often done it playing entertaining football.

The journey has an epic quality. It started in Lithuania nine months and 18 games ago and it has encompassed everything from Clint Dempsey's sublime chip against Juventus to the squad defying a traffic jam by marching up and down the hard shoulder of the autobahn on their way to Hamburg.

They've even taken volcanic eruptions in their stride. "It has been a marathon. The semi-final was our 59th game and we were rather hoping to play 63. We've got that now. Most seasons here we'd be happy playing 43 or 44 games – that would be thought a half decent season. It's effectively playing a season and half, with what is a limited squad."

If it looks serene on the surface it's only because the engine is working so hard underneath. Fulham's revolution has been industrial, a reassuring translation of graft into success.

It is Hodgson's mantra: repetition, repetition, repetition. "Strangely football is a sport in which some don't expect to rehearse or practise," he said. "It's baffling. If you play tennis you will go out and spend hours and hours just working on your serve. If you are a golfer you will go out and spend hours working on one particular shot with one particular club.

"You have to bring that culture to football. There's no point in doing something for 10 minutes and then just have a game of five-a-side. The important thing is that what you are coaching the players to do has direct relevance to what will happen in a match situation.

"People worry that it can get boring but I actually think players get bored if training isn't serious, if you're just doing passing drills and games of five-a-side. If I turned up now and just threw the ball out to my players they would not be happy with it. They've completely bought into what we are trying to do."

For all the preparation, mental and physical, there is something more instinctive in play, a visceral emotional response to the unfolding story that, in the intimacy of Craven Cottage, has fused fans and players to common purpose.

What Hodgson, 62, is keen to stress is that the support has been made more meaningful by the fact that they were there for him and his players in the bad times as well as the good. In his first nine league games, after taking the job in December 2007, Fulham got just 13 points. Relegation appeared inevitable but the fans did not turn on them.

"The fans have been good from the very first minute and we have been tremendously grateful for that," he said. "In terms of results they were in a dark place that was getting darker. They took to us from the very first minute and they stuck with us. It is tremendous that we can pay them back."

A by-product of Hodgson's success has been a restoration of faith in English coaches. Steve McClaren could win the Dutch title with FC Twente this afternoon and become the first English manager to win a league title since Hodgson won the Danish league with Copenhagen in 2001.

"What Steve has done tells you that there is real English coaching talent. It's a fantastic achievement and he deserves every accolade. He's gone from sinner to saint but maybe we in England should think a little bit about how quickly we turn saints into sinners.

"I'm certain he will have picked up things from seeing people who have a different way of doing things. I think it sets a great example to other English coaches and it shows that we are just as capable of working abroad as foreign coaches are capable of working in England."

Hodgson believes that English coaches need more support, which means greater opportunity for exchanges of ideas at the planned centre of excellence in Burton and a technical director to oversee the coaching of coaches, like the coaching guru Allen Wade, who had such a profound influence on his own work. That man could well be Hodgson himself.

"You have to decide what are the principles that you want to promote. I think the quicker the FA centre gets off the ground the better. Then the FA needs to plough money into the coaching of players and the coaching of coaches. There is a lot of talent in this country but it is dangerous to just let it blossom of its own accord. There needs to be co-ordinated coaching at all levels.

"I certainly think I've got a lot more to offer to players at the top level for several years yet. But you never know what route your life will take. Maybe when I do decide to call it a day and step out of the fray I would have the time to devote myself to a project like that. I'd like to think I'd have something to contribute. There is no doubt that it is a job that does need doing."

There can surely be no man better qualified to do it. There will be plenty of challenges before that: the 2012 Olympic team? Liverpool? England? All in good time. Atletico Madrid in Hamburg first, as Hodgson seeks the perfect end to this compelling story.

Roy's incredible journey: Hodgson's managerial career

* 34: Years spent in management (eight in England)
    * 12: Clubs managed (Halmstad, Bristol City, Örebro, Malmö, Neuchâtel Xamax, Inter Milan, Blackburn, Grasshopper, FC Copenhagen, Udinese, Viking Stavanger, Fulham).
    * 3: National teams managed (Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Finland).
    * 5: Languages spoken (three fluently).
    * 10: Trophies won (six Swedish leagues, two Swedish cups, one Danish league, one Danish Super Cup).

Marathon men: Fulham's draining season in numbers

* 63: Games Fulham will have played by the end of the season - the most they could have played is 78.
    * 18: The London club have completed 18 Europa League games in reaching the final in Hamburg - Inter Milan and Bayern Munich have played 12 to reach the Champions League final.
    * 18,136: Miles covered by Fulham on their Europa League adventure.
    * 30: Players used by Roy Hodgson in all competitions - none have been ever-present.
    * 8: Fulham were eight minutes from going out of the Europa League against Juventus until Clint Dempsey's strike secured a place in the last four.

White Noise

White Noise

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2040986,00.html

Fulham: The unexpected finalists

We track Fulham's magnificent rise from near extinction in 1996 to the Europa League final in 2010.

"Stand up if you still believe, stand up if you still believe." It rang out like a mantra from each corner of Craven Cottage, followed by the clatter of plastic chairs as every home supporter sprang to their feet, writes Claire Harmer.

Fulham's hopes of making the Europa League final had been dealt a sickening blow. In any other circumstances, Whites fans might have been able to appreciate the quite beautiful strike from Hamburg's Mladen Petric. But not now. Not with their European final at stake.

Even at 1-0 down, with Hamburg scoring that all important away goal in the semi-final second leg, Fulham fans really did still believe they could get to the final. After all, in a quite incredible season, they had come back from behind to beat the mighty Juventus, seen off holders Shaktar Donetsk and brushed aside Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg. And that was just in the Europa League.

In the Barclays Premier League, they had comfortably beaten champions Manchester United 3-0 and outplayed Liverpool with a 3-1 win.

dire straits

Fourteen years ago, the thought of Fulham beating just one of those teams would have been laughable. Not even in the dreams of the most diehard fan.

A year before multi-millionaire Mohamed Al Fayed's takeover in 1997, the club was in dire straits.

Bottom of the football league, with home gates averaging only 4000 and just seven full time members of staff, the club faced the prospect of non-league football and even the possibility of extinction.

Just months prior to Harrods owner Al Fayed's arrival, the situation had started to improve, with the team securing promotion for the first time in 15 years. Al Fayed promised top-flight football within five seasons and there was even mention of Fulham becoming the Manchester United of the South.

While comparisons with the Red Devils still remain few and far between, Fulham found themselves in the Premier League in 2001, meeting Al Fayed's pledge to play top flight football with a year to spare.

After a few mid-table finishes under managers Jean Tigana and Chris Coleman, the Cottagers flirted with relegation for two successive seasons. The second of which, the 2007/08 term, saw the departure of Lawrie Sanchez and the arrival of Roy Hodgson.

ultimate miracle

Few Fulham fans could have guessed that the former Blackburn Rovers manager could have had such a dramatic impact on the club's success. Despite enjoying a successful career abroad, little was known about Hodgson on English shores.

But after masterminding the club's escape from almost certain relegation in 2008, his reputation grew and grew, and he quickly became the darling of the Fulham faithful. When Fulham stayed up on the last day of the season, after three successive away wins for the first time since their promotion, many fans thought Hodgson had pulled off the ultimate miracle.

spine-tingling

However this was quickly bettered the following season. The club recorded their highest ever Premier League finish of seventh, thanks largely to Hodgson's tactical nous, canny ability in the transfer market and excellent man-management skills that saw players low on confidence transformed in to world beaters. That fantastic season ensured Fulham's passage to European football for the first time since they won the now defunct Intertoto Cup in 2003.

Fast forward 18 European matches later, and Fulham, who have never lost at home in the Europa League, are 1-0 down against Hamburg. In a spine-tingling second half, Hodgson's side rallied, with well worked goals from Simon Davies and Zoltan Gera booking their place in the final.

Chants of "Stand up if you still believe" were quickly re-jigged. "Stand up for the Roy Hodgson" bellowed around the ground as Fulham fans saluted their manager and his well drilled team.

Few would have thought that when they lined up against Lithuania's Vetra nine months ago, Fulham would be among the last two of 193 clubs left standing in the competition.

The last team in England left playing European football, Atletico Madrid await Fulham in the final at the Hamburg Arena on 12th May.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/7664208/Henry-Winter-football-emerges-from-era-of-player-power.html

Henry Winter: football emerges from era of player power

Everybody is pontificating about the Manager of the Year when really we should be celebrating the Year of the Manager.

By Henry Winter

Published: 5:30PM BST 01 May 2010

Managers show who is the boss as football emerges from era of player power
Captain of the Bridge: Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti Photo: ACTION IMAGES

From Roy Hodgson to Jose Mourinho, the stars of the European season have been emerging from dugouts to stride across the pitch at the final whistle, dodging sprays of Champagne or water sprinklers.

From Carlo Ancelotti to Sir Alex Ferguson, the kings of the Premier League campaign have been strong men in suits guiding young men in boots.

Even Avram Grant has shown the importance of a touch of quiet wisdom in the technical area. Even, amazingly, the Wally with the Brolly, Steve McClaren, has found sunshine after the rain. Fabio Capello confirmed this to be the Year of the Manager by taking only 10 minutes to strip John Terry of the England armband.

Over the past decade, as the ramifications of Bosman gave power to the playing people, managers seemed increasingly undermined. How do you keep a twentysomething disciplined and hungry when he boasts millions in the bank?

Football went mad, choking on soaring salaries and egos, but the encouraging evidence of this season is that the warders have regained control of the asylum.

Some wonderful footballers have taken the breath away this season from Wayne Rooney to Lionel Messi and Xavi, from Cristiano Ronaldo to Arjen Robben.

Frank Lampard, Florent Malouda, Paul Scholes, Carlos Tévez and Steven Pienaar have lit up the Premier League. James Milner, Joe Hart and Jack Rodwell give hope for England's future. Any other Js? Yes. Jack Wilshere, improving nicely. There's young talent about but this season has been about the older generation.

Take Real Madrid (and Jose probably will). On May 22, the elegant Bernabeu will pay homage to Mourinho and Louis van Gaal, coaches who have bended teams to their iron will and tactical game-plans. Inter Milan and Bayern Munich are not overstocked with star quality, barring Robben and the suspended Frank Ribery for the Germans. They march to their manager's beat.

When Robben reacted stroppily to being subbed against Lyons, Van Gaal reacted as a strict father putting a young child in his place. Robben was the picture of contrition afterwards. To borrow a line from the Bayern fans' bewitching anthem, Van Gaal is "the star of the south''.

Uefa has chosen an ironic venue for the Champions League final. Real's decision to bow at the altar of the great god Galactico, rather than relying on strong, savvy management, has again been punished. If Ronaldo, majestic player though he undoubtedly is, is valued at £80m, what price the alchemist Mourinho?

When set against their individual contributions, managers are undervalued financially. Look at Owen Coyle. It is no hyperbole to hail the likeable Scot as the £100m man.

If a year in the Premier League is worth a minimum of £50m, including TV cash and increased ticketing and merchandising revenues, then Coyle's midterm defection from Burnley to Bolton Wanderers had a season-defining impact on both clubs. To think that Bolton paid only a laughably low £1m compensation for Coyle, the best piece of business Phil Gartside has ever done.

Compensation figures will surely spiral up as a managers' transfer market echoes players' prices. Wages have risen and rightly so. The manager is the club's key employee and his payslip should reflect that. Currently most managers would struggle to make the top five earners. Should Michael Ballack really rake in more than Ancelotti?

Rooney, the one true on-field star of a drama-rich, technically-average season, is worth every penny of his £100,000-a-week wages but Ferguson, the architect of Manchester United's dominant position on the English landscape over the past decade, is more important to the club's long-term health.

And Ferguson doesn't get injured or disappear on international weeks. When Ronaldo left United, Old Trafford resembled Trafalgar Square without one lion. When Ferguson eventually departs, it'll be like Trafalgar Square without Nelson's Column.

The enduring prominence of Ferguson, and welcome presence of Ancelotti, highlight this to be the Year of the Manager. Ferguson could finish with only the Carling Cup yet even his stellar reputation has been enhanced. He lost Ronaldo, failed to land the centre-forward he wanted in Karim Benzema, which in hindsight may not have been such a disaster, yet is in with a shot of a record fourth successive title.

Those of a churlish disposition might argue that the successful 4-5-1 system was forced upon Ferguson by the Ronaldo/Benzema outcomes but it has worked. His purchase of Antonio Valencia from Wigan Athletic and work at Carrington on Nani's mind and delivery promise much for the future. United have kept in the title race partly because of their manager's strength of personality.

Ancelotti has brought some calm to the court of Tsar Abramovich. Chelsea's engaging coach often inquires after the health of his players' families, a human touch appreciated by Malouda and company. After a few months of tweaking, Ancelotti has made this the most watchable Chelsea team in living memory. He has even got the best out of Didier Drogba and turned Branislav Ivanovic into a rampaging right-back.

Yet it is a sign of the managerial quality out there that Ancelotti could do the Double and not win Manager of the Year. Ancelotti, once of AC Milan, seems to have his life haunted by coaches with Inter connections. First Mourinho, now Hodgson.

Ferguson, Ancelotti and the rest of the nation's dugout dwellers gather in London on May 10 to celebrate the season and salute their pick as Manager of the Year, expected to be a case of Hodgson's choice. Scarcely 48 hours later, Fulham take the field against Atletico Madrid in Hamburg. Even if Sergio Aguero and Diego Forlan find a way past Aaron Hughes and Brede Hangeland, Hodgson still deserves sustained acclaim.

As he unwinds over a glass of wine in the summer, savouring the view across Tuscany or the Thames, Hodgson can reflect proudly on the year that he took some journeymen on a magical journey. This is not to disparage the qualities of Simon Davies, Danny Murphy, Bobby Zamora and company but Hodgson has made them punch above their weight.

The tightening of purse-strings has placed greater onus on a manager's skills of tactical acumen and man-management so Hodgson makes the ideal representative of the era. The managerial industry has also been assisted by having a strong union leader in Richard Bevan. The LMA's chief executive can look around the London dinner with a feeling of satisfaction, knowing he has given the organisation more bite, particularly in the protection of contracts.

Despite the FA's craven decision to waste £757m on Wembley rather than invest properly in home-grown coach development, some English managers are high-profile LMA members. Harry Redknapp has revived Tottenham Hotspur, making them perform with panache.

His ability to make players believe is seen in the much-improved Michael Dawson. Like Redknapp, Steve Bruce is committed to attack, playing with two forwards, and his Sunderland side are highly capable of upsetting Ferguson this afternoon. Sam Allardyce has made Blackburn difficult to beat.

Respected managerial figures are everywhere. A distinguished graduate of the Scottish talent factory, David Moyes, settled Everton down after Joleon Lescott's messy exit to finish the season with a flourish. Stoke City are hardly a purist's dream but Tony Pulis has them well-organised and has clamped down on player dissent.

In the spaghetti junction of West Midlands football, Martin O'Neill continues to be the star of the Aston Villa firmament. Along with Steve Walford and John Robertson, O'Neill keeps making good players like Milner better. Across at St Andrew's, Alex McLeish has turned Birmingham City into a respected, mid-table force built on a solid defence.

Up at Molineux, Mick McCarthy has also worked quiet wonders, comfortably keeping Wolves from the trapdoor. For all the controversy over his white flag of a team selection at Old Trafford, a damaging incident for the Premier League's beloved "sporting integrity'', McCarthy has single-mindedly led Wolves to safety. Apart from the excellent Kevin Doyle, Wolves have no stars. The manager is the main man at Molineux.

Even those managers who have singularly failed still have admirers.

Even Rafa Benítez, whose cold hand is thankfully at last being prised from the Liverpool tiller, is still regarded highly enough as a tactician to send the Old Lady of Turin into a swoon.

The Year of the Manager extends outside the chandeliered ballroom of the Premier League. Chris Hughton has kept Newcastle united and guided them back up with a touch of style.

Ditto Roberto di Matteo at West Brom. Ian Holloway has performed miracles at Blackpool. Paul Lambert has lifted Norwich City up off their knees. Eddie Howe's achievements at Bournemouth almost defy belief.

Fingers crossed, touching wood and buying Lady Luck a large G&T, the Year of the Manager will extend into the World Cup finals because England will then have a chance.

Other countries like Spain, Brazil, Argentina and France can boast far deeper playing resources but none can match the influence of Fabio Capello, who moulded a collection of individuals into a team in qualifying that believed in itself, its tactics and its coach.

Capello is so revered that if England melt on the Veld then the headlines will focus on English player inadequacy rather than any mistakes by the Italian. After all, this is the Year of the Manager.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-stars-hail-Hodgson-as-club-braces-itself-for-summer-approaches-article411133.html

Fulham stars hail Hodgson as club braces itself for summer approaches

Published 23:00 30/04/10

By Neil McLeman

Roy Hodgson is hot favourite to be named Manager of the Year after leading Fulham to their first-ever European final.

His players and fellow managers queued up yesterday to heap praise on the veteran who has taken the Cottagers from the brink of relegation to the Europa League final.

And the final leg of their "great journey" back to Hamburg to face Atletico Madrid on May 12 will not be done by bus.

Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed said he expected approaches from other clubs for Hodgson's services this summer and the veteran boss would certainly bring stability to ­Liverpool.
Click here to find out more!

The spontaneous applause in the press room after Thursday's victory over Hamburg showed the warmth of affection for the down-to-earth 62-year-old who has worked miracles this season.

Brede Hangeland, who was also coached by Hodgson at Viking Stavanger, said the manager is as calm and collected in the dressing room as he is away from it.

"I remember him ­celebrating with the team when we stayed up at ­Portsmouth a couple of years ago," recalled the Norwegian. Other than that, he is mostly always calm.

"When we score I think he is already one step ahead and thinking about the next attack or the final 15 or 20 minutes. That is probably why he gets such good results.

"He organises the team really well and gets the best out of his players. We have all played our part but mostly it is down to him."

Hangeland said previous miracles – especially coming back from 4-1 down against Juventus – had meant the players still believed they could beat Hamburg even after falling behind.

"If we scored four against Juve, why couldn't we score two against Hamburg? We were all confident we could do it," he said.

Striker Bobby Zamora said: "Roy has got to be Manager of the Year in my eyes. He has taken this club from almost relegation to a European final in two seasons and that is unheard of." A

And Aussie keeper Mark Schwarzer said: "The manager has put a team together that has no real big names – there are no superstars in the side. They all just want to fight for one another."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger described Fulham's ­achievements this season, which also include an FA Cup quarter-final and a comfortable 12th place in the Premier League, as "fantastic".

He said: "Roy's the one who has made the team more than anybody else and his side fights above its weight.

"The career of people ­sometimes has mysterious ways. Maybe he is at the best period of his life now. It is a job that needs a bit of ­experience."

Tomorrow Fulham host West Ham in their 60th game of a long season. Their 63rd and last will be at the Nordbank Arena but Hangeland insisted they still won't be favourites in the biggest game in the club's 131-year history.

"This is a small club and I think in every knockout stage in this ­competition we have been the underdogs," he said.

"Atletico will be favourites but so were Juventus, Shakhtar, ­Wolfsburg and Hamburg. So we will see what happens..."

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bobby-Zamora-I-ve-got-one-game-left-in-me-this-season-the-Europa-League-final-article411177.html

Zamora: I've got one game left in me this season

Published 23:00 30/04/10

By Neil McLeman

Bobby Zamora insists he can battle on for one more game this season – the Europa League final.

The Fulham striker needed an injection to play an hour of the semi-final win over Hamburg. Now the 19-goal hitman faces a race against time to be fit for the May 12 final against Atletico Madrid.

"The injury is not the greatest, but I just want to make sure I'm fit for the final," he said. "I'd be devastated to miss it.

"I think I have one game left in me this season. I am not even thinking about the World Cup."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227306%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

Burnley have a back-door route into the competition if they maintain their place in the Fair Play table and Fulham defeat Atletico Madrid on May 12.

Clarets boss Brian Laws said: "We are all Fulham fans at the moment and it would be fantastic for our club. We have proved we are not a dirty club and we have played the game the right way in the Premier League.

"That would take care of our pre-season. I want to be at the club next season and we can take heart from the way West Brom have shown you can bounce back.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227597%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

Rafa Benitez has paved the way for an emotional farewell in front of the Kop today - by insisting he's been betrayed by broken promises from Liverpool's owners.

And as the Spanish boss prepares his shell-shocked stars to face Chelsea today, he gave his biggest hint yet that his six-year love affair with Liverpool is drawing to a bitter close.

Senior club officials have also acknowledged that his time is up - Juventus want him and AC Milan are also interested - and they have taken the first steps for life after Benitez by drawing up a short-list of contenders to replace him.

Jose Mourinho is top of that list, with Fulham's Roy Hodgson, Aston Villa's Martin O'Neill, Turkey boss Guus Hiddink and Bayern Munich's Dutchman Louis van Gaal possible choices.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227589%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

2 May 2010

EURO HERO HODGSON LEAVES 'EM GUESSING

Roy Hodgson has given his strongest hint yet that he could be willing to quit Fulham, writes DAVE KIDD.

After leading Fulham to the Europa League final, Hodgson (left) admits he might still move on to a more high-profile job.

Hodgson, 62, has been widely tipped as a potential successor to Fabio Capello and has also been linked with the Liverpool job, with Rafa Benitez likely to be heading for the Anfield exit.

And asked if he wanted to finish his career at Craven Cottage, Hodgson said: "I don't know. I am only 62 years of age and I don't know where I will end my days. Let's see where Fulham go from here and see where that takes us."

Hodgson believes he will not be handed significant transfer funds this summer, despite three seasons of miracle-working.

And the Europa League final appearance comes on the back of the club's highest-ever topflight finish of seventh place. But chairman Mohamed Al Fayed has spent vast sums on Fulham over 13 years, and is unlikely to make any more massive investment.

Hodgson signed a one-year rolling deal at Fulham last year, to keep his options open.

The manager's relationship with Al Fayed is good and he admits the chairman will give the side a hefty bonus if they beat Atletico Madrid in Hamburg on May 12 and clinch their first major silverware.

Hodgson said: "He is very generous and is always prepared to reward us."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227599%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

2 May 2010

FULHAM will wear blue

Fulham will wear blue - the colour of West London rivals Chelsea - for their Europa League final with Atletico Madrid. The fans were hoping to see the team in their traditional white shirts for their first major final since 1975.

But Atletico will be in their red and white home strip in Hamburg ... leaving Fulham in an unfamiliar third kit for the biggest night in their history.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227604%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

2 May 2010

ROY'S HAPPY TO SEE DOUBLE

HOTLINE

Alan Nixon; Dave Kidd; Steve Bates; Tom Hopkinson; Dean Jones; Alan Oliver; Pete Jenson

Fulham have made Steve Sidwell a £3million target as Roy Hodgson prepares a double swoop on ASTON VILLA.

Sidwell, 27, has been on the bench for much of the season and it is believed Villa boss Martin O'Neill could be willing to sell at the right price.

The Europa League finalists are unlikely to spend big in the summer despite this season's heroics and Hodgson wants former Chelsea man Sidwell in his central midfield.

Hodgson also wants to clinch a permanent deal for Villa left-back Nicky Shorey - a team-mate of Sidwell's at Reading - who has had a successful loan spell at Craven Cottage since January.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227600%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

2 May 2010

Ve have vays of making you play better

German spy Schwarzer lifts Fulham to Euro glory

Dave Kidd

Fulham v WEST HAM

Today, KO 3pm

Mark Schwarzer last night admitted he was the German-speaking spy who inspired Fulham to Europa League semi-final glory over Hamburg.

Fulham's Aussie keeper, who has parents from Stuttgart and is a fluent German speaker, revealed that he translated German press and TV reports which belittled Roy Hodgson's team after the drawn first leg.

The criticism motivated Fulham to a 2-1 second-leg victory which booked a final date with Atletico Madrid on May 12 - when the west London side can win the first major trophy in the club's 131-year history.

And Schwarzer said: "Nobody thought this could happen but you're going to have to believe us soon! When people keep putting you down and writing you off it motivates you.

"I said to the boys after the first leg that a lot of the so-called German experts had written us off and said we weren't any good, that Hamburg only had to come here and play decent football and they would beat us comfortably.

"I read and heard the reports and translated them, which got the players lifts going even more - and we showed them. I don't think Hamburg could have any complaints about the way the second leg went."

Fulham had already knocked out Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg in the quarter-finals and will return to Germany for the third time in five weeks for the final in Hamburg, hoping to complete the greatest German fairytale since the Brothers Grimm wrote Hansel and Gretel.

Schwarzer was also part of the last unfashionable English side to reach a European final - the Middlesbrough team which Steve McClaren led to the 2006 UEFA Cup final.

They lost 4-0 to Seville, after a series of amazing comebacks to rank alongside Fulham's current run.

And Schwarzer said: "If anything, this run has been even more remarkable than that Boro campaign, if you look at the teams we've beaten.

"We've played a few more games and beaten the reigning champions Shahktar Donetsk, then Juventus in such dramatic circumstances, Wolfsburg, the champions of Germany, and now Hamburg.

"It's probably slightly more impressive what's happened here - but it was still a remarkable achievement for what we did at Middlesbrough, as well.

"The 4-0 scoreline in that final was not a reflection of how the game went - they scored three in the last 15 minutes, Mark Viduka missed from six yards and the keeper made a fantastic save.

Fantastic

"A penalty decision went against us at 1-0 and we pushed forward in the last 15. That was against an unbelievable Seville side, so you still look back at it with fantastic memories.

"I've said to the boys all through this campaign: 'You've just got to believe. Believe in the team and what we're doing and really go for it.' I don't think anybody would have thought Fulham would be where we are today."

Today's Premier League clash with London rivals West Ham is likely to see a party atmosphere at Craven Cottage.

And Schwarzer, 37, insists he does not want to be rested, having already featured in 54 club matches this term, as well as longhaul trips to play for Australia. Schwarzer said: "Some of the younger players want to keep playing and I'm one of them!"

Schwarzer admits Fergie helped rouse the Fulham troops - the lead singer of Black Eyed Peas, not Sir Alex!

He said: "Our song for the Hamburg game was 'I've Got A Feeling' by the Black Eyed Peas. That was played many times before the game.

"The words were right: 'I've got a feeling, tonight's gonna be a good night.' I think they're all saying we've got to keep playing it from now on until the final."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/news/news/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227496%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

2 May 2010

AND ANOTHER THING ... If

Dave Kidd

And Another Thing ... If Rochdale pensioner Gillian Duffy was a Fulham fan, she wouldn't be moaning about eastern European immigrants - not after Hungary's Zoltan Gera earned a place in the Europa League final.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22227602%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

2 May 2010

ZAM THE MAN FOR ECK

HOTLINE

Alan Nixon; Dave Kidd; Steve Bates; Tom Hopkinson; Dean Jones; Alan Oliver; Pete Jenson

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has made Fulham striker Bobby Zamora a £5.75 million summer target.

Birmingham have struggled for goals this season - Cameron Jerome is top scorer with 10 - and McLeish wants Zamora to beef up his attack.

After Zamora's scoring heroics this season, which has attracted Fabio Capello's interest, Fulham will want about £7m. The player, who has only one year left on his contract, will not rush into a decision as, at 29, he knows his next move will be his last big pay day.

January are Another Fulham striker, Diomansy Kamara, 29, wants to make his loan spell at Celtic permanent but the Cottagers want a £3m fee.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/800843/BOBBY-ZAMORA-CLAIMS-I-NEVER-THINK-ABOUT-ENGLAND.html

ZAMORA CLAIMS: I NEVER THINK ABOUT ENGLAND

Goals are just numbers on a piece of paper

By Neil Ashton, 01/05/2010

TO Bobby Zamora they are just numbers on a piece of paper, a statistical record of a remarkable season.

For Fabio Capello they are World Cup currency, forcing England's manager to reconsider his options before announcing his provisional 30-man squad.

The Fulham striker is finally on Capello's radar, a potential World Cup wildcard after a stunning season.

Zamora's 19 goals in 47 appearances only tell half the story, deflecting attention from his work-rate and the responsibility of leading Fulham's frontline.

"Let's get one thing straight, if you asked people at the start of the season who would be scoring goals they wouldn't say Bobby Zamora," he admitted.

"I've had a good season, but to me the goals are just numbers on a piece of paper.

"I hold the ball up, I create chances for other people but the difference this season is that the ball's gone in the back of the net."

Recognition does not sit comfortably with the Fulham striker, reluctant to accept that his Europa League exploits have catapulted him into World Cup contention.

He remains uncapped, at a disadvantage when Capello searches for a potential strike partner to the undisputed talent of Wayne Rooney.

The Manchester United striker is the only certainty, guaranteed a place from a pool that also includes Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Darren Bent, Emile Heskey, Carlton Cole and the untried Zamora.

"I never think about England - ever," admitted Zamora, despite the growing clamour for Capello to include him in his preliminary World Cup squad next month.

"Most English strikers in the Premier League have already played for the country and they will all be ahead of me.

"Darren Bent has scored more than 20 goals this season and hasn't had a look in apart from playing against Brazil.

"It's not easy to play Brazil is it, they're half decent. After that there is Heskey, Crouch, Carlton Cole, Gabby Agbonlahor and then there's Rooney. I look at their performances and - with the exception of Rooney - I feel I'm on a par with the rest. That's the way I see it, I've had a decent season and that's it.

"I thought Egypt was a possibility in March, but it didn't happen. I'm not beating myself up about it. Playing for Fulham won't make a difference, he will pick me if he wants to.

"Jimmy Bullard has been in a squad. Ryan Shawcross at Stoke, he looks at every player to see if they have it.

"I've had no communication with England, but why would I? It's not down to me, I'm not going to ask someone to send Fabio Capello a DVD of my goals." He doesn't need to. Capello is well aware of Zamora's impressive run, earmarking the Fulham forward for a possible audition against Mexico next month.

The Achilles in his left ankle is very sore, but he will put an operation to cure the condition on hold if the call comes from Capello.

He will not play against his former club West Ham today, resting his injury as the countdown begins for the Europa Cup final against Atletico Madrid.

The striker has a condition called tendinopathy, a painful inflammation in his Achilles that requires rest and possibly an operation to provide a cure. He still threw himself into last Thursday's humdinger against Hamburg, declaring himself fit to play just an hour before kick-off.

"It's so sore and I've not been training at the same intensity, but I just hope the swelling will ease off before the final.

"I've known about the condition for a while and it has been really sore, but there's time for it to improve before the final."

Those Thursday night Europa League matches have brought Zamora's goalscoring form sharply into focus, altering perception of a player who scored just four times last season.

"Playing in Europe has been a big stage for the team, it has been great for the club," he added.

"It singles us out, it's the only football that's on TV on a Thursday night. It's great for our club to go out there and put in the performances we have.

"To beat the likes of Shakhtar Donetsk, Wolfsburg and Hamburg in the Europa League, as well as Manchester United and Liverpool in the league is something special.

"In the last two years the manager has built a new team and last year was a learning curve, taking time for players to gel. This year we have been more the finished article. The Europa League has affected our Premier League form and our position doesn't do the team justice.

"We have played nearly 60 games this season and it's hard for a club with the size of our squad to keep churning out results."

Zamora's nine Premier League goals still count, a decent return for a striker playing alone up front after Andy Johnson's injury ruled him out for the rest of the season.

He is convinced that little in his game has changed, other than the odd slice of luck in front of goal and a more muscular approach in a Fulham shirt.

"The perception of me outside the club is different, but in terms of performances nothing has changed for me since last season," he added. "When I was 18 or 19 coming up against Sol Campbell or Tony Adams I was bouncing off them, but I have put a lot hours in the gym since then. When I was young I was always the little one in the team, so I knew I needed to get stronger.

"When you come into training and the facilities are there, I put in half an hour of work a day. I've had to alter my game - I've got stronger, I've grown, I've developed. It is a physical game, so quick and strong that I have to be able to compete.

"In terms of football intelligence and touch it has never worried me, I always felt OK with that.

"The only thing that has changed is the number of goals.

"Statistics showed that I created more chances for the team last season, putting seven people through one-on-one.

"Those things never get talked about, but I did it for the team. In terms of holding up the ball, being closer to midfield because that's what I was asked to do, then I had a good season.

"Roy Hodgson has been brilliant, really top drawer. I owe him a lot, even when I wasn't scoring. Goals are all that people look at, but he understood what I give to the team.

"Last year I had a bit of stick from the fans, but the manager stuck with me and that's important."

Zamora was getting it in the neck at the start of the season, accused by a small section of Fulham fans of failing to put in a decent shift.

That is one thing he will not tolerate, always noted for his work ethic at Bristol Rovers, Brighton, Tottenham, West Ham and Fulham.

And he has responded brilliantly, top scorer under Hodgson (bottom left) at Craven Cottage and enjoying the most productive spell of his career in the Premier League.

At first he was bitter, but now it's a by-product of this successful season, forgotten the moment his fortunes with Fulham took an upturn.

Zamora added: "There was a little section, about four of them giving me stick when I was running down the touchline.

"They would make their feelings known, but I hope they have changed their perception of me now. Not many of them were keen on me when I wasn't scoring, but that's their right. It doesn't bother me."

He didn't let it affect him, not the type to take his work home with him when he walks away from the training ground. Zamora loves the game, but leaves the hype to others, switching off in the afternoons when others are submerged in breaking news and talk of the Big Four.

The Fulham striker, 29, added: "I never let criticism affect me when I get home. I switch off away from football, I don't pay any attention to what's going on.

"I don't watch too much football on television, except for a game like Barcelona v Inter. I'm just not a football nut.

"It's 24/7 isn't it, it's my life, doing it day in, day out. To whack the football on the second I get through the door is not me.

"I'd rather sit down at home and watch a DVD, relax and think about something else.

"I'm not getting carried away with what's happened this season, I'm not going around giving it the big one.

"I just like to go home and forget about football. If I don't score goals next season, I know people will talk about me as a flash in the pan blah, blah, blah¿"

For now he has nothing to fear, rising to prominence during a magnificent season for Fulham and their fans. Capello will announce his provisional 30-man squad next month, with the majority of names already chosen.

After the season Zamora's had, he could still be a vital statistic.