watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Speeding on the A5

Started by Legate21, July 20, 2013, 07:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legate21

Lack of concentration on the way home from work this morning resulted in a flash behind me this heading northbound on the A5 in and around Colindale. No real excuses, but I can't have been doing much more than 35mph.

Was just wondering if anyone has been caught around here before and if they have been offered the option of a speed awareness course rather than the fine and 3 points.

Any response would put my mind at ease. Just like to know whereabouts I stand at the moment. 

Roberty

If you were not in a 20mph zone and were not driving reclessly you may well be offered the oportunity.
I think 37mph or there abouts is the cut off point in a 30mph zone.
Half a day of your time - if you are late for the course you will get the points and fine instead - and very interesting.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

westcliff white

i got a fine and points for doing 34 in a 30 after being caught with a flash, could be different area to area
Every day is a Fulham day

GloucesterWhite

Got a fine and 3 points for doing 34 in Aylesbury at 5.30 on a Sunday morning when the rest of the world was asleep :(

CincyFulham1

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: CincyFulham1 on July 20, 2013, 07:46:12 AM
Flash= A speed camera?
I think any other sort of flashing will get you more than 3 points  093.gif

CincyFulham1

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on July 20, 2013, 07:54:34 AM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on July 20, 2013, 07:46:12 AM
Flash= A speed camera?
I think any other sort of flashing will get you more than 3 points  093.gif

I didn't know if it was a speed camera or some sort of Brit slang for the flashing lights of a police car. 

Your correct, probably more likely to be 3 years.

Northern Cottager

Wish I had the speed awareness course. Forgetting some headphones on way to work at 10pm left me getting caught doing 54 in a 30. Stupidity and now I'm stuck with increased insurance. Go for the course.

Roberty

Quote from: westcliff white on July 20, 2013, 07:41:46 AM
i got a fine and points for doing 34 in a 30 after being caught with a flash, could be different area to area

I am not sure if it is national or not - in 2010 it depended on which county you were caught in - some offered the alternative and most did not.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Fletchino

You might get nothing some cameras run out of film or have not had there annual  calibration be sure to ask about its calibration certificates if any think does come through.

Andy S

How many flashes were there as they don't all have a camera in them. One flash no camera/faulty. two flashes a camera and  probably done. They do not all work especially if they have been in a few years. Even if you do get done ask to see the calibration certificate for the camera. Are there warning signs within reasonable distance of the camera etc.

I got done in a sneaky Police speed trap in Luton but got away with a Gatso static camera in Bushey, Hertfordshire. so if they are going to do you make sure everything is in place

SuffolkWhite

I got done coming back to Suffolk after our thrashing of  spuds in the F.A Cup couple of years ago on Tower Bridge 28mph and it's a 20!!!! Only 3 pts.  I had 3 spuds supporters in the car and I was singing all the way home much to their irritation....when I told them I had been caught on a speed camera they all loved it, karma I guess.

Back to the speeding....I was offered a speed awareness course but in London, I asked if I could take it in Norwich (35 mins away) and was told it had to be in Westminster!! I worked out it would cost me more than the increase in insurance to take a day off and travel to London.

On another note my partner was caught speeding and she did the awareness course and had no increase in insurance.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

WhiteJC

I got 3 points and a £60 fine for 36 in a 30, wasn't offered a speed awareness, my insurance has gone from £275 to £950!

Berserker

I did the same as Whitejc and didn't get offered the course. Luckily there aren't speed camera's in the Swindon area anymore, but i do drive alot more slowly after the fine anyway
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

tommy

If its one of the big gatso cameras then the chances are there is no film in it. If its one of the smaller ones then its digital and you will get a letter. If they don't offer you the speed awareness course then write to them and ask for it. It can only help.

Lighthouse

I never had the option of a safety awareness thingy.  I was travelling on the coast and suddenly a new bus lane had been put in just after traffic lights without any warning signs being put up yet. The bloke on my outside wouldn't give way so to stop being done for entering a bus lane I sped for fifty yards so I could make a turning right. No more than fifty yards

A policeman with a hand held was there and I presume was going to do me whatever happened as it was plain what I was trying to do. So for fifty yards of speeding I was done and had points taken off and a fine. Safety my arse nal. Just a money making venture.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bucksfulham

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 20, 2013, 10:43:02 AM
I got 3 points and a £60 fine for 36 in a 30, wasn't offered a speed awareness, my insurance has gone from £275 to £950!
Did you already have points on you license? When I got 3 points, I told my insurance company at renewal and they weren't bothered and didn't increase my premium

WhiteJC

Quote from: bucksfulham on July 20, 2013, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on July 20, 2013, 10:43:02 AM
Did you already have points on you license? When I got 3 points, I told my insurance company at renewal and they weren't bothered and didn't increase my premium

no, my first points since I started driving, 1978, I'm not a happy bunny

leonffc

Given your age and the time you've held your licence I'd say you're looking at a ban mate. I hope that puts your mind at rest ;-)

E.I.Adio

My wife recently got done for speeding in the Bristol area and she was offered a  speed awareness course near to us in Oxfordshire, so no points or fine for her