more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (20/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 20, 2013, 08:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Academy Scholarships

The Club is pleased to announce a number of players from the Academy have signed scholarship agreements from 1st July 2013. Academy Director Huw Jennings gives us the lowdown on each of our young hopefuls:

Wesley McDonald - "Wesley came to us from Crystal Palace at the age of 12 and is one of a number enrolled at Coombe School*. He is a central midfield player who always looks to break the play up and get us moving forward; he can chip in with a goal or two as well. He recovered from a very nasty knee injury last year when he had to have an operation and was out for six months, but he's recovered in time to be fit for the start of the season which is encouraging."

Magnus Norman* - "A goalkeeper who has been with the Club since he was 10-years-old, Magnus is a local boy. He's always been a prominent goalkeeper in his age group and his younger brother Felix is also with us at the Academy."

Aaron Redford - "A striker who has progressed through the Coombe School programme and has had a lot of injury problems. He suffered a difficult injury to his ankle and then his back, so he is not in full training but he is starting to make progress. When fully fit he's quick and a good runner who is good at stretching defences and getting into positions to score."

Patrick Roberts* - "Pat played a lot for the Under-18s last year and also made the step to play for England Under-16s in the Victory Shield competition amongst others. He is a very talented wide player and can also play in the number 10 role."

Josh Smile* - "He came to us from Oxford United at 14-years-old and is another to be enrolled in the Coombe School. He's a central midfielder who sits deep and has a nice eye for a pass to move the team forward."

Mehki Leacock-McLeod* - "He is from Chiswick and has been with us for a long time. Mehki is a wide player who is very quick and strong. He's getting over a broken foot at the moment and is very powerful and direct. He's skilful on the ball and also has an eye for goal."

Ryheem Sheckleford* - "From Brixton, Ryheem arrived here at 14 years of age. He can play centre-back but predominantly he's a right-back; very athletic, he gets up and down the line very well and he is a strong defender."

One player has also been brought into the Club from outside of the Academy, Slovakia goalkeeper Marek Rodak from MFK Kosice.

Huw says: "We brought Marek in last year on his 16th birthday from Slovakia. He established himself as the number one goalkeeper in the Under-18s last year and also played for the Under-19s at the Dallas Cup. He walked away with two winners' medals in two months, so he will be looking to continue his good start at the Club."

*Currently, 50 Fulham youngsters are enrolled at Coombe School, which is located very close to the training ground at Motspur Park. The school has made a major contribution in the development of the players highlighted: Wesley McDonald, Magnus Norman, Josh Smile, Patrick Roberts, Mehki Leacock-McLeod, Ryheem Sheckleford.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/19/academy-scholars?

WhiteJC

Deportivo Saprissa Preview

The Whites' final pre-season friendly of our Costa Rican tour takes place on Saturday when Fulham face Deportivo Saprissa S.A.D at the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José. Here's all you need to know about our opponents...

The Whites' final pre-season friendly of our Costa Rican tour takes place on Saturday when Fulham face Deportivo Saprissa S.A.D at the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José. Here's all you need to know about our opponents...

Magic Numbers

7 – The amount of appearances Saprissa have made in the CONCACAF Champions Cup Final, with three wins and four defeats

8 - The amount of head coaches they have had in the past 10 years

29 - The number of Primera División de Costa Rica titles they have won

64 – The number of consecutive years in which they have been competing in the Costa Rican top flight

106 – Saprissa's ranking in world football in August 2008

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/19/saprissa-preview?

WhiteJC

Al Nasr snubbed in Cottage target bid

Fulham are still in the race to sign striker Peter Odemwingie after West Brom snubbed Dubai outfit Al Nasr's £850,000 bid for him.

Albion are looking to get the 32-year-old Nigerian forward out of the club this summer following a fall-out in January over a failed move to QPR. Odemwingie, who has been linked with moves to the Cottagers, Crystal Palace and Hull City in recent weeks, has been left out of West Brom's pre-season tour of Germany as the club look to recoup at least £2million for his signature. Boss Steve Clarke had initially wanted £4.5million, but with Odemwingie now into the final year of his contract and the club wanting to free up space on the wage bill, they are willing to cut the asking price by over half. However Al Nasr's bid falls well below what the Baggies see as acceptable so the player is still up for grabs with Fulham now the favourites to sign him following last week's take over by billionaire tycoon Shahid Khan, who bought the London club from Mohamed Al Fayed for £150million.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/al-nasr-snubbed-in-cottage-target-bid-1608234.html?

WhiteJC

Transfer rumour: Liam Ridgewell wanted by Fulham?

West Bromwich Albion transfer rumour: Fulham thought to be pondering move for Liam Ridgewell

Fulham are pondering a move for West Brom defender Liam Ridgewell according to our sister site the Fulham Chronicle .

The left-back berth was a problem position for the Whites last campaign, with John Arne Riise, Kieran Richardson and Matthew Briggs sharing the spot.

Ridgewell, who can also play at centre-half, has featured 45 times for the Baggies since his switch from Birmingham City 18 months ago.

The Londoner, 28, is entering the final year of his contract at the Hawthorns, and Fulham are considering a swoop to bring the former Aston Villa youngster to Craven Cottage.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-transfer-rumour-5150291

WhiteJC

Ashkan Happy To Return

Now that he is back from injury, midfielder Ashkan Dejagah is pleased to be playing a part in our pre-season tour of Costa Rica.

Dejagah suffered ankle ligament damage in the 3-2 win over Queens Park Rangers on 1st April, which ruled him out of the remainder of the season. But he returned to training earlier this month and proved himself fit enough to travel with the team to Costa Rica and participate in both games so far.

"It is good so far," he told the official website. "The weather is nice and we are working hard here. I think the games have been good and we won, but we can always play better and we have time to improve."

The Iran international has shown no signs of being behind the pace on his return to the side, and thinks that he can further improve his fitness out on tour.

"It has been very hard for me as it was my first big injury," he said. "After three months it is not easy to come back, but I am working hard and trying my best and hopefully I have shown I am ready to play in these few games.

"When I returned to training in London, I felt good. The breathing is hard for me here, but I think in two or three weeks then I will be up to the same level as everyone else.

"I am very happy to come back and play on the pitch. I enjoy my football and I love the Premier League, Craven Cottage, the fans and everything. I try and play my best."

Dejagah joined on transfer deadline day in August from German side VfL Wolfsburg, and is now looking forward to preparing himself fully for the season ahead.

"I think it will help me to have a full pre-season with the team. It is very important," he said. "This year I can train for the whole summer and play some games, and hopefully I can be ready for the new season. I am looking forward to being a part of the side in 2013/14."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/19/ashkan-happy-to-return?

WhiteJC

Pogrebnyak to Return?

Could it possibly happen, could Pavel Pogrebnyak make a return to Craven Cottage?

Apparently so!

After having had one spell with us, a spell that saw the Russian striker score 6 goals in 12 appearances, before deciding the lure of more money over at Reading suited him better, we`re now listed as one of three clubs who are, supposedly, interested in giving him as return to Premier League football.

Over in Royal Berkshire, with Reading, Pavel was on a cool £65,000 a week, I`m hoping that salary will be enough to let the other two teams reported as showing an interest, Cardiff City and Hull City, fight it out.

But, then again, my views might differ to yours, so I`ll ask the question - Would you welcome Pavel Pogrebnyak back to Craven Cottage?

Please feel free to comment below!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=325398#ixzz2ZZRKHyUF

WhiteJC

Ridgewell on Fulham Radar!

The local media are inferring that Fulham are casting a look towards acquiring somebody who plays for West Bromwich Albion.

It would seem that Fulham are mulling over the idea of making an approach for Liam Ridgewell who is about to enter the last year of his contract at the Hawthorns.

Would Ridgewell, a versatile player, be the sort of acquisition you`d approve of at Craven Cottage?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=325405#ixzz2ZZRWT17u

WhiteJC

Under-21 Fixtures Released

The Premier League have this afternoon released the fixtures for the 2013/14 Barclays U21 Premier League.

In a new format for the age group, sides play each other only once in a 21-team national league, with the top-four advancing to the Semi-Finals in April.

Kit Symons' boys get their campaign underway with an away trip to Manchester City on Sunday 11th August, before welcoming Middlesbrough to Craven Cottage five days later.

London derbies at home to Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur follow before Christmas, whilst there's also a trip to Manchester United to look forward to at the end of October.

The first game of the New Year sees our U21s travel to Bodymoor Heath to face Aston Villa on January 13th, before the Whites host local rivals Chelsea on Friday 7th February. From then on, though, we're playing all northern teams, with fixtures that include trips to Stoke City, Sunderland and West Bromwich Albion.

Symons' team lost only one of their final eight matches last season to secure third place in Group One of the second phase, and the U21s boss will be keen to carry that form into the new campaign.

The full fixture list can be viewed here.

For home matches, Season Ticket Holders will still be given complimentary access on production of a valid Season Ticket Card. Members must pay (Adults £3, Under-16s/Over 65s £1) for entry to games.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/19/u21-fixtures-released?

WhiteJC

Fulham Interest In Eyong Enoh Boosted As Ajax Boss De Boer Says He is Ready To Send The Cameroonian Midfielder On Loan

Fulham have been offered encouragement in their pursuit of Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh.

Ajax coach Frank de Boer admits Enoh is not in his plans for the new season and would be happy for him to return to Fulham on-loan.

De Boer made the announcement at a media conference today.

http://www.afrikansoccer.com/2013/07/fulham-interest-in-eyong-enoh-boosted-as-ajax-boss-de-boer-says-he-is-ready-to-send-the-cameroonian-midfielder-on-loan/?

WhiteJC

The Week That Fulham Went Global
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on JULY 19, 2013

It is said that a week is a long time in football, and the last week at Fulham has certainly proven this statement to be true. In the space of the last 7 days, we, as fans, and as a club, have been on a rollercoaster of excitement and hyperbole that is only now beginning to plateau into something of a bed of regularity.

Our story here begins a little over a week ago upon the breaking of news that our beloved, now former, Chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed was in the process of selling the club to a mysterious unnamed American. What ensued was three days of absolute radio silence from all parties. The presence of water tight legal non-disclosure agreements having something to do with this I'm guessing.

Inside the heads of fans, ideas whirled and sizzled for the latter half of the week. Was it true? If it was true, what would the new owner be like?

With the rumour first surfacing on an internet messageboard two days before the papers got the story, I think there were more than a few fans seriously doubting whether it was indeed happening. That most the newspapers ran the same story incorrectly categorising all three new summer arrivals as free transfers just added to the vision that the popular press give little time to researching and fact-checking stories about Fulham.

Then, at 9.15pm on Friday, the news broke for definite. Mohamed Al-Fayed, stalwart owner of Fulham Football Club for the past 16 years was selling up, with the moustachioed billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Shahid Khan, to be our new owner.

There is not a lot a can say about Mr Khan that you've not already heard, read or seen. His story has been well told over the past week; born in Pakistan, he moved to Illinois, USA aged 16 and has gone on to found and run one of the most successful automotive parts suppliers in North America. A keen sports fan, Shahid Khan attempted to purchase the St Louis Rams before finally landing himself a National Football League franchise when he purchased the Jacksonville Jaguars for the princely sum of approximately $500m in 2011. Biography over.

Following the announcement confirming the change appearing on the club's website on Friday evening, a press conference was scheduled for Saturday lunchtime at Craven Cottage. From the realm of rumour to putting a face to camera within 24 hours was, it has to be said, superb media work from the Fulham press team. Weeks of uncertainty could have caused serious ructions within the fanbase, whereas, almost universally, the feelings towards the takeover have been positive from the Fulham Faithful.

The downside of such a quick turnaround is that it has been hard for us all to adequately look back at the remarkable 16 year journey Mr Al-Fayed took us on. The excitement of looking forward to the Shahid Khan era has simply been too alluring this week. In truth it still is, with Martin Jol meeting Shahid Khan this week so we are told, perhaps we only have a little bit longer to wait before our summer transfer window can kick back into gear having been previously stalled for what are now obvious reasons.

I'd like to take this opportunity to personally thank Mohamed Al-Fayed and wish him all the best for the future. As the only Fulham chairman I've ever had the fortune of supporting FFC under, he was quite simply the best Chairman we could have asked for. Sensible and outrageous in equal measure, Mr Al-Fayed came to resemble Fulham itself. From the statue that shall not be named to the superb one of Johnny Haynes, the club would not be what it is without 16 years of determined leadership, vision and financing from Mohamed Al-Fayed. For this, and much much more, Thank You Mo.

The press conference on Saturday was itself akin to theatre. In the way that only Chairman Mo could, he turned up to welcome Shahid Khan wearing an oversized fake moustache (which, note to club, should be given away to all at the Arsenal game!) to replicate our new owners remarkable trademark facial hair.

The answers delivered to the press were clearly calculated, as you'd expect after a debt free £200m transaction. They were also though very comforting. If Mo has chosen this man to be his successor, then we owe him at least a chance to show why. It has however, not become a question of owing Mr Khan a chance, the nature and content of the rhetoric spoken has led most fans to embrace our owner with open arms.

Whilst all of this was going on, Martin Jol was on a plane to Costa Rica with our first team squad seemingly none the wiser. What marvellous timing. The distraction of a change of ownership can often derail footballing preparations. The Costa Rica trip, planned presumably months ago, has provided a superb escape for our players and management to bond and physically prepare for the rigours of a new league season with the nagging backdrop of questions about off field matters left some 3,000 miles away back in South West London.

The Costa Rica tour has also provided Fulham with an opportunity to explore a football mad Latin American country unopposed. While all our domestic and European rivals are sweating in the humid well-trodden streets of the likes of Bangkok, Jakarta and Nagoya, Fulham have had San Jose to themselves. Fulham's friendly matches have been against opposition of a higher calibre than the "All-Star" South East Asian XI's put together to face certain other teams on their travels. Yes, Costa Rica's national team players are off at the Gold Cup, but Cartagines and Alajuelense have provided decent opponents for our opening preseason gambit, with Deportivo Saprissa still to come.

The use of Costa Rica's national team facilities and national stadium has added quality to this adventurous backdrop, while the tropical humidity is likely to be such that you'd be hard pushed to see even a dedicated cupcake aficionado fail to lose a few pounds after a few days of activity, let alone a squad of some of the fittest footballers on the planet working hard to get into game ready condition.

Then there is the x factor reason for our trip west. Bryan Ruiz. Fulham's new number 10 [after an offseason change in number from 11] is Costa Rican, and the best one at that. The trip to his homeland was a two way stroke of genius. Use Bryan's commercial popularity to sell brand Fulham, whilst simultaneously giving our leading creative asset the best possible preparations going into a season where his form could well dictate our level of success.

Bryan has scored two goals in two games; the third goal in Sunday's 3-0 win over C. S. Cartagines and a very well taken third in Wednesday's 3-1 win over his old club L. D. Alajuelense in tropical downpour conditions.

The trip has served to bring the new acquisitions and various youngsters into the first team fold, with the likes of Mesca, Pajtim Kasami and Derek Boateng particularly impressing alongside establish talent such as Dimitar Berbatov.

The week is yet to reach its conclusions though, with manager Martin Jol, team captain Brede Hangeland, ceo Alistair Mackintosh and new owner Shahid Khan to hold a press conference in Jacksonville later this evening. Presumably not to unveil anything or anyone major, this will likely be an introduction of Fulham to Khan's US sports marketplace.

Following the weekend's friendly with Saprissa, Fulham will finally return home, and hopefully, the transfer window can open at Motspur Park. For while this week has felt like a summer, there is still time left for Fulham to get the chequebook out and improve a squad in need of reinforcements. Time is beginning to get away from us. While the veil of secrecy shrouded over the takeover enabled it to be completed within an incredibly short timeframe, it also appears to have hamstrung the pursuit of on-field talent over the past month and a half.

This will only prove an issue if Martin Jol's chief targets have already gone elsewhere. For everyone's sake let's hope this is not the case. Time is of the essence.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/07/the-week-that-fulham-went-global/?

WhiteJC

Martin Meets Mr Khan

Exactly a week after Shahid Khan closed on his purchase of Fulham Football Club, the Whites' new owner met Manager Martin Jol in Jacksonville.

Flown in from Costa Rica on Friday morning, Jol was accompanied by Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh and Captain Brede Hangeland. All three were made to feel incredibly welcome as the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars - and now the Whites - met the travelling party at the airport.

Mr Khan then personally drove Jol to EverBank stadium where a welcome party awaited, including the famous Jaguars cheerleaders and their equally famous mascot, Jaxson De Ville.

Following a tour of the facilities at the Jags' stadium, Jol and Hangeland were introduced to the US media for the first time since the takeover, highlights of which are available here.

Mr Khan said: "The one regret from last week was leaving London without the opportunity to meet with Martin Jol or Brede Hangeland. I'll be joining the Club on Sunday in Costa Rica for the match [pre-season friendly with Deportivo Saprissa] but couldn't wait to meet Martin and Brede, so they're here today. I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly welcome Martin and Brede, thank them for their commitment to Fulham and wish them the best as we begin our 13th season in the Barclays Premier League."

Jol added: "I'm delighted that Mr Khan has such a passion for football and has great ambitions for what we can achieve. A link with the Jacksonville Jaguars is very exciting and I know we're all looking forward to a successful future together.

"Mr Al Fayed was a fantastic Chairman and I would like to publicly thank him for what he did for Fulham and the fans. Without him, the Club would not be in this position so we all owe him a great debt of gratitude as he passes his custodianship over to Mr Khan."

Hangeland said: "As Captain, I'd like to take this opportunity to speak on behalf of the playing squad in welcoming Mr Khan and his team to Fulham, in what I'm sure will be an exciting future together.

"As many of you will know, this week we've been in Costa Rica for our pre-season training camp, where last weekend's announcement was greeted with much positivity and excitement.

"We're only a few weeks away from the start of the new season, and we're very much looking forward to sharing the experience and journey with our new friends here in the States. We want to make it a campaign to remember for everyone involved."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/19/martin-meets-mr-khan?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham boss Martin Jol meets with new owner Shahid Khan

New Fulham owner Shahid Khan has met with manager Martin Jol for the first time during a stop-off on the club's pre-season trip to Costa Rica.

Khan, who owns NFL franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars, bought the club from Mohamed Al Fayed last week, ending the 84-year-old businessman's 16-year association with the Cottagers.

Jol and club captain Brede Hangeland were flown from Costa Rica to Jacksonville to meet the new chief on Friday and the Dutch manager said he hoped to form a strong working relationship with his new boss.

"I'm delighted that Mr Khan has such a passion for football and has great ambitions for what we can achieve," Jol told Fulham's official website.

"A link with the Jacksonville Jaguars is very exciting and I know we're all looking forward to a successful future together.

"Mr Al Fayed was a fantastic chairman and I would like to publicly thank him for what he did for Fulham and the fans. Without him, the club would not be in this position so we all owe him a great debt of gratitude as he passes his custodianship over to Mr Khan."

American billionaire Khan, who did not get chance to meet Jol when he completed his takeover last week, will be present for the Cottagers' pre-season friendly against Deportivo Saprissa this weekend.

"The one regret from last week was leaving London without the opportunity to

meet with Martin Jol or Brede Hangeland," Khan said.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly welcome Martin and Brede, thank them for their commitment to Fulham and wish them the best as we begin our 13th season in the Barclays Premier League."

Hangeland, who has been with Fulham since 2008, admits there was an air of excitement among the players as news of the takeover was revealed last week.

"Last weekend's announcement was greeted with much positivity and excitement," Hangeland said. "We want to make it a campaign to remember for everyone involved."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8832226/?

WhiteJC

Khan: Synergy between Jaguars, Fulham FC vital

aguars Owner Shad Khan: "Fulham is absolutely perfect for us for a number of different reasons."

JACKSONVILLE – As Jaguars Owner Shad Khan saw it, the situation had to be right.

Khan, speaking at a press conference Friday welcoming officials from the Fulham Football Club to Jacksonville, said when deciding to purchase the English Premier League team last week, many factors were taken into consideration.

Timing. Location. History. As importantly, Khan said it had to fit with the vision for the Jaguars, something he said Friday afternoon he believes is very much the case.

"It had to make sense," Khan said Friday at an event attended by Jaguars President Mark Lamping, Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh, Fulham Manager Martin Jol, Fulham Captain Brede Hangeland, Jaguars General Manager David Caldwell and Head Coach Gus Bradley and Jacksonville Mayor Alvin Brown.

"It has to be the right team . . . Fulham is absolutely perfect for us for a number of different reasons."

Jaguars President Mark Lamping, who will serve as a director with Fulham, said the Jaguars and Fulham will operate independently, but will share "strengths and best practices where appropriate."

"In short, it's business as usual here at EverBank as well as at Southwest London and Craven Cottage," Lamping said.

Khan called it a virtual certainty that Fulham will be playing "friendlies" – exhibition matches – in EverBank, likely before the 2014 season. That would coincide with the projected rollout date for $63 million of proposed, state-of-the-art improvements to EverBank.

"Absolutely we want to do that," Khan said, adding that the deal to purchase Fulham came together very quickly. "What a statement it would be to the global audience. It's going to show Jacksonville at its finest."

Khan also said Friday that a major appeal of Fulham was its location in London, a city crucial to the Jaguars because of plans to play a regular-season game there for the next four seasons.

"For us to have synergies, it has to be a London team," Khan said, adding, "Synergy obviously is vital. Fulham is the right club for us. We didn't go over there, saying let's just buy a club.' It had to have certain attributes and as we went through it, that (Fulham) was it. They were the only one."

Khan said he also was drawn to Fulham's history, its location within London, its connections to the United States, as well as its reputation as a fan-friendly franchise.

"There are football clubs overseas that aren't that fan-friendly," Khan said. "It (Fulham) has a great feeling, a great environment."

Also on Friday:

*Khan declined to predict a 2013 record for the Jaguars, who open training camp next Friday, but said he is confident of the direction on the field under Bradley and Caldwell. "I absolutely think Dave and Gus are the two right guys for us," Khan said. "Our goal is to start building a sustainable team. Our goal is to start moving in that direction – simple as that."

*Khan said he is still considering the issue of the Michael Jackson statue outside Fulham's Craven Cottage Stadium. Former Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed had the statue built following Jackson's death in 2009. Many Fulham fans dislike the statute, but at a news conference announcing the sale of the team this past weekend, Al Fayed said the statue would remain. "You have to take a deep breath and reflect," Khan said. "I'm in a Lotus pose and doing my yoga meditation." Khan added, "I didn't think it would be that big of a deal – that big a deal to the fans and frankly, that big a deal to the chairman (Al Fayed)."

*Khan said he is unconcerned about the city of Jacksonville's ability to finance $43 million toward the state-of-the-art video boards expected to be installed at EverBank Field for the start of the 2014 season. "I think the city is going to do the right thing for Jacksonville," Khan said, noting that the team has invested $10 million in locker room and facility in publicly-owned EverBank and plans to contribute $20 million to the video-board project. "For Jacksonville to have a future to have sports here – talking about Gator Bowl, Florida-Georgia, whatever – you have to have a good stadium. I think it's very, very important, not only for us, it's important for Jacksonville."

*Khan addressed his potential interest in the Shipyards project near EverBank Field. "We have those discussions going," he said. "That's been a project that has been around a long time. With all candor, I think nobody stepped up. I offered that to the mayor, 'Let us have a crack at it.' I think we're talking to him and we're going to do it to serve Jacksonville.

*Khan said he plans to attend every Jaguars home and away game this season.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Khan-Synergy-between-Jaguars-Fulham-FC-vital/eee15023-16f4-4139-999a-1caa649db6e9?

fulhamben

Do you reckon bredes head touched the ceiling in that plane even when he was sitting down.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

WhiteJC

Fulham owner Shahid Khan looks to host friendly in Jacksonville

New Fulham owner Shahid Khan has announced the club will likely play a friendly match next season at EverBank Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida.

The announcement was made at a press conference held at the home of Khan's NFL team, the Jacksonville Jaguars. Joining Khan was Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh, manager Martin Jol and captain Brede Hangeland, who flew into northern Florida to meet the new owner before continuing down to pre-season training in Costa Rica.

Khan met the trio at the airport and personally drove them to EverBank Stadium where they were met by a greeting party that included Jaguars cheerleaders and their mascot, Jaxson De Ville.

After a tour of the facilities, Jol and Hangeland were introduced to the U.S. media for the first time since the takeover. In addition to noting that it's a 'virtually certainty' he will bring a Fulham friendly match to Jacksonville, Khan explained that he's still reflecting on whether to keep the Michael Jackson statute at Craven Cottage.

Here are some other highlights from the conference:

Shahid Khan: "The one regret from last week was leaving London without the opportunity to meet with Martin Jol or Brede Hangeland. I'll be joining the Club on Sunday in Costa Rica for the match [pre-season friendly with Deportivo Saprissa] but couldn't wait to meet Martin and Brede, so they're here today. I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly welcome Martin and Brede, thank them for their commitment to Fulham and wish them the best as we begin our 13th season in the Barclays Premier League."

Martin Jol: "I'm delighted that Mr Khan has such a passion for football and has great ambitions for what we can achieve. A link with the Jacksonville Jaguars is very exciting and I know we're all looking forward to a successful future together.

"Mr. Al-Fayed was a fantastic Chairman and I would like to publicly thank him for what he did for Fulham and the fans. Without him, the Club would not be in this position so we all owe him a great debt of gratitude as he passes his custodianship over to Mr Khan."

Brede Hangeland: "As Captain, I'd like to take this opportunity to speak on behalf of the playing squad in welcoming Mr Khan and his team to Fulham, in what I'm sure will be an exciting future together.

"As many of you will know, this week we've been in Costa Rica for our pre-season training camp, where last weekend's announcement was greeted with much positivity and excitement.

"We're only a few weeks away from the start of the new season, and we're very much looking forward to sharing the experience and journey with our new friends here in the States. We want to make it a campaign to remember for everyone involved."

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/19/fulham-owner-shahid-khan-looks-to-host-friendly-in-jacksonville/?

WhiteJC

Nice to meet you Mr Khan! Jol stops off in Jacksonville to greet new Fulham owner

New Fulham owner Shahid Khan has met with manager Martin Jol for the first time during a stop-off on the club's pre-season training trip to Costa Rica.

Khan, who owns the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team, bought the club off Mohamed Al Fayed last week ending the 84-year-old businessman's 16-year association with the Cottagers.

Jol and club captain Brede Hangeland were flown from Costa Rica to Jacksonville to meet the new owner on Friday and the Dutch manager is hoping to form a strong working relationship with his new boss.

Greetings: Khan welcomes Jol to Jacksonville

'I'm delighted that Mr Khan has such a passion for football and has great ambitions for what we can achieve,' he told www.fulhamfc.com.

'A link with the Jacksonville Jaguars is very exciting and I know we're all looking forward to a successful future together.

'Mr Al Fayed was a fantastic chairman and I would like to publicly thank him for what he did for Fulham and the fans. Without him, the club would not be in this position so we all owe him a great debt of gratitude as he passes his custodianship over to Mr Khan.'

American billionaire Khan was in London last week to complete the takeover but did not get chance to meet with Jol and will be present for the Cottagers' pre-season friendly against Deportivo Saprissa this weekend.

Jetting in: Khan meets Fulham captain Hangeland at the airport

'The one regret from last week was leaving London without the opportunity to meet with Martin Jol or Brede Hangeland,' he said.

'I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly welcome Martin and Brede, thank them for their commitment to Fulham and wish them the best as we begin our 13th season in the Barclays Premier League.'

Hangeland has been with Fulham since 2008 and has played a key role in the club maintaining its Premier League status and reaching the Europa League final in 2010.

And the big Norwegian admits there was an air of excitement amongst the players as news of the takeover was revealed last week.

'This week we've been in Costa Rica for our pre-season training camp, where last weekend's announcement was greeted with much positivity and excitement,' he said.

'We're only a few weeks away from the start of the new season, and we're very much looking forward to sharing the experience and journey with our new friends here in the States.

'We want to make it a campaign to remember for everyone involved.'

Ice breaker: Hangeland in conversation with Khan

Jacksonville Jaguars: Jol is shown around the EverBank Stadium

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2370978/Martin-Jol-stops-Jacksonville-greet-new-Fulham-owner-Shahid-Khan.html#ixzz2ZZVifvyF
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Sam: "Big Thinking Khan Style"

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
When it comes to business acumen, Shad Khan's is well documented.  So it initially seemed strange when it was revealed that he was interested in buying a Premier League team.  Earlier this year and in 2012, Khan said he "didn't like the business model" in the EPL.  "They don't have a salary cap."

But clearly he changed his mind and negotiated to buy Fulham, a team that's stayed in the Premiership for the past 12 years.  "Things change," he told me after introducing the Fulham management and their captain.  "They have a new television contract, they've gotten their sponsorship in place and it's all about revenue.  They can create revenue."  Khan believes Fulham can be a profitable club especially with some stadium improvements and expansion and whatever synergy they can create with the Jaguars of the NFL.  "They're a fan friendly club.  They have a neutral stand (for fans) where you don't have to be a supporter of the home club.  They're in the right part of the city. Their grounds are on the banks of the Thames.  They're a perfect fit for us."  Although they will operate as separate business entities, Khan believes there is plenty of opportunity for cross promotion, cross sponsorship and cross money-making.

"Every time they talk about Fulham, they'll talk about Shad Khan, the Jaguars and Jacksonville," said Jaguars President Mark Lamping who will also serve as a Director for Fulham.  "There will be chances to for the synergy of the two clubs to come together but this does nothing but raise the profile of Jacksonville."  Khan noted that every game in the EPL will be televised and as the most popular league in the world, it's possible that 300-million viewers could be watching Fulham play some of their games against high profile opponents like Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

At the informal introduction of Fulham's CEO, their Manager and the team Captain, there was real excitement in the room when the Fulham reps talked about Khan and his "custodianship" of the Cottagers.  They were impressed by the facility the Jaguars have put together to practice and play games in and were genuinely excited at the prospect of playing a game at our stadium some time next year.  "About this time in 2014, Fulham will play a game here," Khan said when talking about the two cities and the two clubs.  "It's important that our EPL team was in London to raise the profile of the Jaguars in that city and internationally.  The chance to enhance the revenue for both clubs is great.  There's a lot going on here (in Jacksonville) that we can take advantage of.  It seems easy that the equation of two plus two can equal ten.  You just have to have the right two plus two."

When it was noted early on in Khan's tenure as the Jaguars owner that the Weavers had "passed the baton to a faster runner," I'm not sure anybody realized just how fast this runner was.  Khan is a big thinker and is trying to drag the city and the city leadership along.  When it comes to building the franchise, Khan will make that happen and raise the profile of Jacksonville internationally as well.

A few wins wouldn't hurt either.

Get on board.

Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/sam-big-thinking-khan-style/-/475646/21080694/-/q53d92/-/index.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham makes moves to Bagg West Brom boys
NEW Fulham owner Shad Khan has sanctioned a move for West Brom's controversial pair - Peter Odemwingie and Liam Ridgewell

Striker Odemwingie, 32, would cost around £1.5m, centre-back Ridgewell about £500,000.

Odemwingie caused outrage among Baggies fans in January when he drove to Loftus Road in an attempt to force through a move to QPR.

Just weeks before that Ridgewell, 28, was pictured wiping his backside with a wad of £20 notes at his £1.5m home in Birmingham, infuriating supporters.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/327666/Fulham-makes-moves-to-Bagg-West-Brom-boys?

bobby01

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 20, 2013, 09:21:44 AM

Fulham makes moves to Bagg West Brom boys
NEW Fulham owner Shad Khan has sanctioned a move for West Brom's controversial pair - Peter Odemwingie and Liam Ridgewell

Striker Odemwingie, 32, would cost around £1.5m, centre-back Ridgewell about £500,000.

Odemwingie caused outrage among Baggies fans in January when he drove to Loftus Road in an attempt to force through a move to QPR.

Just weeks before that Ridgewell, 28, was pictured wiping his backside with a wad of £20 notes at his £1.5m home in Birmingham, infuriating supporters.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/327666/Fulham-makes-moves-to-Bagg-West-Brom-boys?
[/quot

Well thats an underwhelming pair of signings. What happened to reducing the age of the squad?
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WhiteJC

my thanks to KCat for finding this...

Jacksonville Restaurant Adds Fulham Sandwich to Menu

by Cole Pepper

Ever since Shad Khan purchased Fulham FC of the English Premier League, sports fans in Jacksonville have begun jumping on the bandwagon. Jacksonville has, by proxy, adopted Fulham as the city's favorite English soccer team.

And now, an Avondale restaurant is joining in.

Pine Grove Market and Deli (1511 Pinegrove Ave., Jacksonville, FL 32205) has rolled out a sandwich they're calling "The Fulham."

"We were already working on the sandwich, but we didn't have a name for it," said Ron Bajalia of Pinegrove. "My buddy came up with the name and it just works perfectly."

The sandwich (shown above) consists of "homemade London Broil fresh from our butcher shop, with Gruyere cheese and a homemade horseradish cream on a pretzel roll!" according to Pinegrove's facebook page and costs $10.

Everything was made from scratch for the sandwich, except the pretzel roll. It's the only sandwich Pinegrove offers that uses the pretzel bun.

Reaction to the sandwich has been very good. They sold out on Friday.

http://colepepper.com/2013/07/jacksonville-restaurant-adds-fulham-sandwich-to-menu/