watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I have a mate who supports Spurs

Started by JackyFulham90, July 23, 2013, 09:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

He says Bent would be a quality player for us he said if he is fit & given good service he can get 20 goals he also said Huddlestone would be a decent signing but isn't very mobile & he thinks we should make a move for Livermore he speaks highly of him, just thought I would pass on some info from a guy I have found to have good football knowledge

leonffc

I know loads of Spurs fans with good football knowledge. They ALL says he's a lazy waste of space and have done since he signed for them.

Jack Fulham

Bent has shown he can score goals given decent service at every club he has played for. His price, nationality and age makes it unlikely we will sign him despite speculation. The only English players we sign these days are youth players or on a free.

FFC1987

Quote from: leonffc on July 23, 2013, 01:07:42 PM
I know loads of Spurs fans with good football knowledge. They ALL says he's a lazy waste of space and have done since he signed for them.

In my opinion and experience with Spurs fans, thats simply not true. Maybe he just divides fans opinion but like I said, i haven't exactly had that response. Then again (without inciting a Demps discussion) recently people who knew Spurs fans argued the performances of him which again divided opinion. Maybe we just listen to fickle fans.

St Eve

a friend of mine also supports Spurs and he is hoping we take Huddlestone off thier backs

General

Quote from: leonffc on July 23, 2013, 01:07:42 PM

I think we're meant to be asking Sunderland fans? They'd say the opposite or you could ask villa fans who would say he's hit and miss. I think if you wiki him though his more recent record has been pretty impressive and I'd like to think given villas woes and policy of sticking with youth last season I think our experienced side may give him the nudge he was hoping for. Playing alongside Berba etc... Plus we have pacey wingers who could supply him balls to his feet.

Scrumpy

I read a book on holiday called 'Football numbers' or something similar. It had some very interesting stats about Bent and basically proved that he was the most valuable striker in a specific season. His goals have been worth more, because they tend to be either the first or second goal of the game, which are the most valuable goals of any game. Funnily enough, they reckoned that Chelsea would have been better off signing Bent than Tores!!

Personally, I'm not so sure that Bent and Berba could play in the same team. Distinct lack of work rate there!

(Incidentally, Berba's stats were not so good, since he tends to score against lesser sides, or the third and fourth goal in a 5-0 thrashing).
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Big Martin Jol

I had a quick look at the Newcastle forums and their sentiment was much the same. They're basically cheering us on.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

jarv

Only seen Bent once, at the Cottage when we beat spurs 3-1. He was useless. I left wondering how these players get evaluated. I recall he was slow and had a coupe of chances which he scuffed like a sunday league player.
Having said that, if he signs, I will hope for good things and support him.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: jarv on July 23, 2013, 01:54:59 PM
Only seen Bent once, at the Cottage when we beat spurs 3-1. He was useless. I left wondering how these players get evaluated. I recall he was slow and had a coupe of chances which he scuffed like a sunday league player.
Having said that, if he signs, I will hope for good things and support him.

That was a long time ago. He's a far better player now. That being said I'm not sure about signing him. If he is willing to be a back up then yes, but I want Berba up top and Ruiz playing off him.

fulhamben

I really don't get this work rate stuff, if we play with 2 strikers, then who really cares what they do when we don't have the ball. Even if they just sit down and do nothing, we would still have 9 more players to try and prevent a goal. To me it's a bit like saying our keeper is lazy cos he doesn't join up in attack when we have the ball. I'd like to see our attackers on the shoulders of the centre backs so that we can attack
with venom when we get the ball, and not have our wingers isolated cos our strike force are still in our own half
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

westcliff white

Bent 2 years ago was  massive yes, now I am not convinced )hope to be proved wrong if we sign him) he is 30 his pace is his main asset and that will be going soon.
Every day is a Fulham day

leonffc

Quote from: fulhamben on July 23, 2013, 03:58:02 PM
I really don't get this work rate stuff, if we play with 2 strikers, then who really cares what they do when we don't have the ball. Even if they just sit down and do nothing, we would still have 9 more players to try and prevent a goal. To me it's a bit like saying our keeper is lazy cos he doesn't join up in attack when we have the ball. I'd like to see our attackers on the shoulders of the centre backs so that we can attack
with venom when we get the ball, and not have our wingers isolated cos our strike force are still in our own half

Have you not seen us play away? Jols tactics are woeful away, playing deep with Berba the lone striker (where as Rodellega would at least chase cleared, long balls). I can't see how Bent would change things.
It's not just work rate, Bent doesn't hold up the ball, doesn't bring other players in and doesn't really beat players with the ball. Granted, the boy can finish but how many times last season did we create zero chances away from home? If we aren't creating them for him there's little chance of him creating them himself. Just my opinion obviously but unless Jol is prepared to change things (which I doubt) then Bent would be a waste of money.

epsomraver

Quote from: leonffc on July 23, 2013, 04:34:13 PM

Have you not seen us play away? Jols tactics are woeful away, playing deep with Berba the lone striker (where as Rodellega would at least chase cleared, long balls). I can't see how Bent would change things.
It's not just work rate, Bent doesn't hold up the ball, doesn't bring other players in and doesn't really beat players with the ball. Granted, the boy can finish but how many times last season did we create zero chances away from home? If we aren't creating them for him there's little chance of him creating them himself. Just my opinion obviously but unless Jol is prepared to change things (which I doubt) then Bent would be a waste of money.

Spot on.  :plus one:

fulhamben

but surely if jol buys bent then he is changing things as surely we will be playing with 2 up?

leonffc

Quote from: fulhamben on July 23, 2013, 10:11:56 PM

but surely if jol buys bent then he is changing things as surely we will be playing with 2 up?

It would be nice but we had Rodellega and Petric on the bench away from home last season and persisted with berba up top when things weren't working. Jol simply didn't want to play two up and point blankly refused to take berba off. Even wigan at home was a prime example. Although maybe Bent would have scored the two that Rodellega possibly should have when he came on, we'll never know.

Creating away from home is my biggest concern.

fulhamben

Quote from: leonffc on July 23, 2013, 11:29:43 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 23, 2013, 10:11:56 PM

It would be nice but we had Rodellega and Petric on the bench away from home last season and persisted with berba up top when things weren't working. Jol simply didn't want to play two up and point blankly refused to take berba off. Even wigan at home was a prime example. Although maybe Bent would have scored the two that Rodellega possibly should have when he came on, we'll never know.

Creating away from home is my biggest concern.
true but we also won't be linining up with the bubble and psycho Sid in the middle which will also make a huge difference

Forever Fulham

Bent is a selfish one-way player who won't track back.  He comes to life only when he has the ball.  Not sure he's a proper fit for Berbatov and Ruiz.  We need a big man up top who isn't as selfish as Bent (ball go into Bent, ball never come out again), who can set up the trailing teammate.  Bent has one way of playing: Running at the goal and trying to beat the defender one on one.  He's not especially good at incorporating his teammates into the play once he has the ball.  If you midfield is really solid, and you play high pressure defense upon losing possession, then you can take a shot at putting Bent up there.  But he's a bit of a one trick pony.  I don't know why people disparage Huddlestone so.  He is the straw that stirs the drink on that team.  Oh, sure, Bale is the star of that show.  But Huddlestone powers that ball up the spine and passes with accuracy and pace.  He's not shabby on defense either.  He would immediately improve Fulham's line, but I don't see the manager selling him.