News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR but football related ( Any Muslims Here ?)

Started by Sammyffc, July 24, 2013, 12:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe McDonald

Quote from: HatterDon on July 24, 2013, 02:26:41 PM
Quote from: Vinnieffc on July 24, 2013, 01:34:19 PM

Lending and borrowing per se is not contra Islam. Interest is. Muslims cannot 'make money out of money'.

Cheers Sipwell. Simple answer to a simple question. Thanks mate..

It used to be against Christian beliefs also, but there was money to be made, so religious principles got sacrificed for the readies.

As for being able to play, for several seasons the magnificent NBA center Hakeem Abdul Olijuwan observed Ramadan strictly and, somehow, managed to still be the strongest player in the league. He'd routinely lose about 15-20 pounds every season. Bear in mind, the guy had a BMI of about 8.5, so he was burning muscle. He was an amazing example of how a person can succeed and still maintain his standards. 

[/quote]

Nobod has managed to pull off the 'dream shake' quite like him, one of the most graceful big men to have played

sipwell

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on July 24, 2013, 02:42:50 PM

Wouldn't you be asleep during those hours. I'd find it very easy to fast whilst I was in bed

In theory you would be asleep. Do visit your local Muslim area though and you will be amazed how awake, vibrant, active (and extremely friendly) everyone is. Now is an ideal time to visit the Muslim bakeries, because they will normally have a delicious cookie on offer.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Vinnieffc

Quote from: sipwell on July 24, 2013, 03:19:36 PM

Wouldn't you be asleep during those hours. I'd find it very easy to fast whilst I was in bed

In theory you would be asleep. Do visit your local Muslim area though and you will be amazed how awake, vibrant, active (and extremely friendly) everyone is. Now is an ideal time to visit the Muslim bakeries, because they will normally have a delicious cookie on offer.

Absolutely cruel and inhumane. 'Here's a lovely just baked hot cookie that you can't eat'.

NadsFromMauritius

Indeed, we are not supposed to be eating or drinking anything during the day, but if you gonna eat healthily before sunrise and after sunset, you gonna be fine. Only the last few minutes (or hours) before sunset is difficult, the completion of one fasting day being scheduled at sunset.

As for making money from interests, Islam condemns any method (such as gambling) of earning money without having worked hard to obtain it and you do not really deserve the money. If we analyse more deeply, it kinda brings instability in the economical side of a country (not to mention the other facets that can be affected - nurture of child, relationships, etc).
"Mauritius was created first, and then heaven; and that heaven was copied after Mauritius" Mark Twain
(http://www.facebook.com/BeautyOfMauritius)

sipwell

Quote from: Vinnieffc on July 24, 2013, 03:32:39 PM

Absolutely cruel and inhumane. 'Here's a lovely just baked hot cookie that you can't eat'.

Can't see why. Muslim shops are selling their goods in abundance at the moment. It is perfectly fine to buy cookies during daylight and eat them at night. Or do you eat everything you buy immediately? :)

jarv

What about football club ownership? If a muslim owns a club and  buys Clint Dempsey for a million then sells him for 6 mill.  is that making money or is it work?
If it is work, not a bad deal for 20 minutes effort. :54:

westcliff white

Oops typo I meant 3am and 10pm
Every day is a Fulham day

sipwell

Quote from: jarv on July 24, 2013, 05:26:16 PM
What about football club ownership? If a muslim owns a club and  buys Clint Dempsey for a million then sells him for 6 mill.  is that making money or is it work?
If it is work, not a bad deal for 20 minutes effort. :54:

I think that is called an investment, which is allowed.

YankeeJim

I've wonder how one finances a business or a house if the lender can't make some interest. Perhaps this helps explain the strong family/tribal ties in so many Islamic countries. Is anyone able to explain this to this simpleton?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YankeeJim

Hypocrisy is hardly unique to Muslims. Hit Las Vegas and count the Mormons or liberals who oppose freedom of choice in schools who send their kids to private schools who want taxes raised while evading their own and too many Catholic priests or TV preachers....

I suspect Muslims, like all people, are sometimes good and sometimes not. General characterizations are usually just wrong.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

sipwell

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 24, 2013, 05:57:17 PM
I've wonder how one finances a business or a house if the lender can't make some interest. Perhaps this helps explain the strong family/tribal ties in so many Islamic countries. Is anyone able to explain this to this simpleton?

Islamic banks also don't have to pay interest on the money you save... so I guess it is a break-even.

Holders

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on July 24, 2013, 12:55:45 PM
If I remember my Year 9 R.E lessons correctly, I thought you only had to fast DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS. So surely Cisse could just get up at 4am and have a massive feast that would tie him over for the rest of the day (Weetabix would be my suggestion), then maybe have a yoghurt or something at 10pm when the sun goes down

In more southern latitudes, of course, the hours of daylight are much shorter at this time of year than in the UK, with which most of us compare it. Remember the video from Costa Rica where the lads were going out at 6.30 pm and it was dark?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

sipwell

Quote from: Holders on July 24, 2013, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on July 24, 2013, 12:55:45 PM
If I remember my Year 9 R.E lessons correctly, I thought you only had to fast DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS. So surely Cisse could just get up at 4am and have a massive feast that would tie him over for the rest of the day (Weetabix would be my suggestion), then maybe have a yoghurt or something at 10pm when the sun goes down

In more southern latitudes, of course, the hours of daylight are much shorter at this time of year than in the UK, with which most of us compare it. Remember the video from Costa Rica where the lads were going out at 6.30 pm and it was dark?

The hours are set by the imams. My friends use a specific calender which does not really take Belgian darkness and light into account... I'm not sure but I think the light in Mecca is the standard...

Shredhead

On the Channel 4 weather forecast tonight I noticed they had the sunrise and sunset times for a London mosque and it was roughly 4am and 10pm. That is a brutal fast.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

HatterDon

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 24, 2013, 06:08:43 PM
Hypocrisy is hardly unique to Muslims. Hit Las Vegas and count the Mormons or liberals who oppose freedom of choice in schools who send their kids to private schools who want taxes raised while evading their own and too many Catholic priests or TV preachers....

I suspect Muslims, like all people, are sometimes good and sometimes not. General characterizations are usually just wrong.

including that one?  064.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: westcliff white on July 24, 2013, 05:39:13 PM

Oops typo I meant 3am and 10pm

That would make a lot more sense
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

stevehawkinslidingtackle

My last post was removed, so I will amend my thoughts and fall in line.

I love Muslims. They're all great.

Hope that is more acceptable. Cheers