watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR how can they get the weather so wrong

Started by epsomraver, July 27, 2013, 11:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

This morning 7 oclock, Epsom, heavy rain from 9 am onwards till noon the even heavier rain from 4 pm , at present wall to wall sunshine, seaweed still dry and pine cone still open, it is money for old rope the Met office, all they say is " oh we got that a bit wrong, a rogue shower that rained for 3 hours" Millions are paid by the taxpayer for this mickey mouse service for someone to tell me on TV to " take  a brolly with you today "  rant over :dft007:

Jack Fulham

Nature can be unpredictable. Still plenty of time left in the day for rain.

MJG

Agree, I'm in Guildford at the moment and it's baking. Even brought out one of those rain coats that fit in a bag. Stupid idea.

Lighthouse

On the South Coast we had a storm last week according to the Weather people. 5 drops is all I saw. Today these storms will be spectacular with a months rain in a few hours. A few wispy clouds and 55% humidity is what we have.

Time for them to get it right I suppose.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Airfix

I've always said that the Met Office know what's going to happen. They are just never entirely sure when it will happen.

epsomraver

My seaweed and pine cone say different 064.gif

epsomraver

Quote from: Airfix on July 27, 2013, 12:12:52 PM
I've always said that the Met Office know what's going to happen. They are just never entirely sure when it will happen.

Like Eric and Ernry, the right notes but not :005: neccesarily in the right order

jarv

I believe predicting the weather in UK is not easy (unless you live in Scotland) due to facing the atlantic and being a relatively small island.
Here in USA, weather patterns seem to be much more predictable. Regularly they will tell us, for example, the snow will start around 3.30 (so leave work early) and sure enough, 3.30 on the dot.

epsomraver

They were more accurate in the 40's , without computers and satellites, they predicted the storms in the channel that delayed D day! these storms are supposed to be coming from the near continent, you should see them from the Dover cliffs, all they do nowdays  is input  data into a computer module at it tells them what it thinks. Any other government funded department with such a poor performance record would have been shut down years ago, they spend 5 minutes of the forecast telling us what the weather has been like , no sh*t sherlock I could manage that! and a smug look on their faces when we have good weather as if they had a hand in it!

Lighthouse

Does Jol work for the Met Office? Nice to see them getting support for the same sort of job.  :Get Coat gif:

The Doctor

Because atmospheric physics is a complicated subject that isn't fully understood?  No scientific discipline has perfected 100% predictive accuracy...a big issue in scientific circles is how to communicate uncertainty to the public.

Like everything else, you're probably best off making your own informed judgements on likely weather from a range of sources.  ECMWF is a good one, and their ensemble approach implicitly communicates the uncertainty in the forecast

epsomraver

So you are endorsing my pine cone and seaweed then? :005:

The Doctor

If it works, it works.  But we must make sure that we're sustainably harvesting the pine cones if we're to create a dense monitoring network

epsomraver

we are knee deep in them, I will set up a monitoring chain and contact the BBC straight away, might need a computer module though...........is open dry or wet?

The Doctor

No idea.  We should get a botanist on board!

HillingdonFFC

Used to curse the Met office. Was thoroughly p****d off with playing cricket and would check every Friday hoping it would rain do we could have a few beers in pub  .So many times they said it would rain and it never did.
Also funny how they predicted 10 years of unsettled summers and a crap July and it's been sweltering for weeks

ScalleysDad

The rather plush offices and lab are just around the corner from my house and about two miles from my office. I need to tap into the weather forecasts from time to time, closing pitches or planting projects stuff like that, and I'm sure they don't even look out of the window sometimes. I wonder if they spin a bottle or play pick a card for some predictions. At the moment it is very possible the Saturday and Sunday leagues won't be kicking off, literally, in mid August. There is very little grass on the pitches, the paint won't stick to dust and the ground is rock hard. It will of course be all our fault.

Lighthouse

OOOO OOOO South Coast very dark. Could it be?

Berserker

No sign of rain here in the mid west, mind you rain is just waiting for me to start on my gardening i expect. Don't pine cones close when it is wet?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Lighthouse

Well it rained but not for long. Still there is time.