more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (28/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 28, 2013, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham could face transfer embargo over signing of French teen

French Ligue 2 side Lens are furious over the transfer of 18-year-old midfielder Ange-Freddy Plumain, and could potentially take Fulham to court over the move.

Fulham confirmed the free transfer of Plumain on Thursday, but Lens claim in a statement on their official website that the Paris-born midfielder was still under contract and therefore could not be sold on a free.

According to Lens, Plumain was under contract, and had been absent from the club since July 8, therefore in violation of the contract.  They also said he had not received permission to speak with any other clubs.

The official statement from the club reads:

English club Fulham recently reported the signing of Ange-Freddy Plumain. Racing Club de Lens is surprised to hear the information to the extent that the player still under contract, and had no authorization on a possible engagement. The player has been absent from his place of work since July 8, without a valid reason. A procedure has been initiated against the various parties concerned.

This situation bears eerily similar basic pretenses as the spat Lens had with Chelsea in 2007 over the transfer of striker Gael Kakuta.

Kakuta, then with Lens in Ligue 1, signed with Chelsea against his former club's wishes, who then complained to FIFA.  The world governing body imposed an immediate and shocking 2-year transfer embargo on Chelsea.  Kakuta was suspended from play for four months, as FIFA declared both player and club were "jointly and severely liable."

Chelsea appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, who then ruled Kakuta's contract with Lens was not valid and therefore could not be breached, lifting the embargo in the process.  Chelsea also came to an agreement with the French side, compensating Lens about £100,000 for the player.

It would be hard to imagine, having already gone through the process once, that Lens would be putting a wrong foot here.

This could be a devastating situation for Fulham if a transfer embargo were to be placed on the club, and would serve as a serious blow to new owner Shahid Khan.  Many fans are expecting Khan to inject new money into the club to be used in the transfer market this summer.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/26/fulham-could-face-transfer-embargo-over-transfer-of-french-teen/related/

WhiteJC

Less is More.....
by barryhaylesgoalmachine

It was on Thursday last week that I found myself leaving London for Krakow in Poland and pondering how many of the 5/6 new signings Jol had been talking about would be secured in time for my inspection when getting home on Sunday. All hopes of having regular updates from various media outlets throughout what would no doubt be a rather messy stag weekend were dashed though when a certain mobile operator let me down on the international front in terms of Internet access.

I was left to ponder what I was missing out on and could only hope that Alistair Macintosh was busy working away in my absence. Some of the rumours in recent weeks had been promising with Darren Bent , Mohammed Rabiu, Tom Huddlestone, Jordan Rhodes, Jermain Defoe and even Javier Saviola being mentioned and with our bank balance now healthier than ever it was only natural to think that the money might be burning holes in Jol's pockets. However it appeared from the little information I could gather that the relative silence following the buyout was continuing although following a rather harsh practical joke at my expense, a fellow reveller had me convinced for a good six hours that we had confirmed the signing of Peter Odemwingie from West Brom. Needless to say I wasn't happy although eventually he ended up doing the decent thing and admitting it was a bare faced lie.

Now that I had the reassurance that this would not be the news that greeted me on my return, the first news story that I did read upon landing in Southend (Which for those of you not familiar with the delights of Essex is a shock in itself) was that " Martin Jol is still looking for "one or two" new players after seeing Fulham end their Costa Rica tour with another win." I quickly scrolled down and checked the other news to see what had happened..... Had we signed 3/4 of the promised 5/6 in my absence? Was the story wrong? Did Karagounis count as 3 of them? I was not best pleased to say the least... Was this just a follow up to the Peter Odemwingie deception?

Given a day to recover and time to absorb some of the other Fulham news on the web, it occurred to me that the only obvious explanation is that Jol has seen enough in the fringe players during the trip to Costa Rica that he may have decided only to bring in extra bodies where no current squad option exists. On that evidence we are probably looking at a striker and another body in central midfield. The positive side is that it means we won't have an overhaul of personnel so large that it takes time to blend in but given a few injuries we will need to put faith in relatively unproven players at premier league level with the likes of Kasami, Mesca and Trotta likely to feature more.

There is no doubt also that the more Jol chooses to spend in this window the more pressure there will be to get results early on, not just from the new owner but from the press as well who always seem to misinterpret a teams ambitions and expectations upon spending big during the transfer window. It may also be the case that these two players in question will be more of a focus on quality and as fans we should be positive that as a club we are willing to give younger players a chance before looking elsewhere for options.

Up front we have seen a few names mentioned and even today there are plenty of media outlets that would have you believe we are in advanced talks with Darren Bent. How he would be accommodated though in a formation that is very much based around Berbatov as a loan forward remains to be seen particularly given that this is the situation he currently finds himself in at Villa with Benteke. Berbatov in behind may be a possibility but then the prospect of playing Ruiz as a creative central midfielder does not sit well with me given the amount of times he is caught on the ball.

As far as another centre midfielder coming in, the only solid rumour at present is our pursuit of Mohammed Rabiu at Evian who while being a welcome addition to the midfield , is not the creative attacking type player that many of us had in mind. I was disappointing to see another of our long term targets Nacer Chadli join Spurs this week without as much of a link to Fulham. There is no doubt that we would struggle to compete with Spurs in terms of salary and ambition but what we could have offered was a place in a central midfield role, a position that he has occupied regularly for Belgium under Marc Wilmots and with the world cup around the corner, he will play more of a wide role at Tottenham next year and could have been tempted with the opportunity to further establish his place in the national team. There is always a chance for a few surprises in the coming weeks but at present it appears we are going to wait until January and assess the situation before spending big.

The 1/2 signings also seem to be referring to actual monetary acquisitions and don't take in to account the usual supplement of loans that Fulham seem to favour. Things have been rather quiet on that front although nothing tends to occur in that space until closer to deadline day. There has been murmurs regarding Clint Dempsey crawling back on his hands and knees through the gates of the cottage although no doubt other names will be mentioned as August progresses.

Admittedly my exposure to our performances in Costa Rica were hindered by the night life in Krakow and limited to watching the first game and a few sparse highlights of others. This is nothing when compared to the efforts of Marc Millington and co who travelled out to Central America to see the boys in action, but what seemed to be the main positives to come from the tour were the performances of Kasami and Mesca alongside winning more trophies in one week than we have in the clubs history.

Many of us have been asking for a while now why the former has not been given a decent chance to show what he can do in the league especially given our lack of depth in that area. Mesca while a little younger should have got some more game time last year were it not for an unfortunate injury following an impressive pre season. At times when watching him he seems to resemble all the qualities of Bambi on ice yet still seems to find a way past a defender or two and get in the right areas.

I am not in any way saying that this is a time to panic buy or to worry should we reach September 1st with only a couple of new faces but if the quotes attributed to Jol are correct then it seems as though either he has suddenly gained a lot more faith in players who previously were not deemed ready for first team action or the players he wants to bring in are just not available at the moment. Things can of course change quite quickly and we could be in for another exciting run in to deadline day. Our new owner and the raise in public profile might even mean Sky sports will have a reporter outside of Motspur park especially given that the regular Harry Redknapp correspondent will need to be assigned to Premier League duty this time round.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=301

WhiteJC

New era beckons for Fulham
by Ruiz11

On August 17th, Fulham FC will begin its 13th consecutive season in the Barclays Premier League, but for the first time the Whites will complete in the Premier League under the stewardship of a new owner, Pakistan-born American billionaire Shahid Khan. Khan's purchase of the club from Mohamed Al-Fayed has signalled the end of an era at Craven Cottage, as our beloved Egyptian has stepped down after 16 unbelievably profitable years on the banks of the Thames. Just what can fans expect next season, on and off the field?

Firstly, it goes without saying that these are undoubtedly exciting, if uncertain, times for Fulham. Whilst Khan is no Roman Abramovich, his arrival will provide a much needed boost to Fulham's financial firepower. Whilst Al-Fayed has rightly been lauded for bringing about the most successful spell in Fulham's history, it cannot be denied that the lack of transfer funds available towards the end of his tenure undoubtedly caused friction between manager Martin Jol and senior officials at the club, with Jol unhappy at the lack of cash at his disposal in the January transfer window. At 84 years of age, Al-Fayed was unwilling to commit to further major purchases and had begun the process of selling his most valuable assets, including Harrods, and had allegedly tried to sell Fulham twice in recent years. In stark contrast, Khan's arrival brings impetus and improved muscle in the transfer market, yet spending is promised on a sustainable and sensible level.

So, on the field, fans can look forward to a more settled campaign. Last summer, the well-documented and untimely departures of Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey left large holes in the side that Jol didn't have the time to fill. In January, due to the aforementioned lack of transfer funds, the manager was merely permitted to bring in a host of loan signings, and the team failed to gel. The spectre of relegation lingered over the club, albeit from a distance, up until the last game of the season. This campaign, however, promises much more. Jol has brought in Dutch international goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg to replace the ageing Mark Schwarzer, a fantastic piece of business that seems to have gone under the radar somewhat. Stekelenburg kept goal for Holland in the 2010 World Cup Final and is a full 10 years younger than his Aussie predecessor. Sascha Riether, last season's fans' player of the year, has made his move from Cologne permanent, Ghanaian midfield enforcer Derek Boateng has finally joined after numerous prior attempts to engage his services, and the highly-rated Fernando Amorebieta has also been acquired to shore up an ageing and cumbersome defence. And Fulham hardly had to loosen the purse strings.

Now that Khan has taken over, the rumour mill has understandably been going into overdrive. The most persistent and intriguing rumour links Fulham with out of favour Aston Villa centre forward Darren Bent. It's unclear at present how Bent would fit into the starting line-up, but the potential arrival of the proven Premier League marksman would certainly alleviate the goal burden on Dimitar Berbatov's shoulders. The pre-season tour of Costa Rica resulted in three victories out of three and the training sessions at high altitude will also provide an ideal boost to the fitness levels of the players ahead of a long, gruelling season. It is hoped that key player Bryan Ruiz, who is idolised by fans in his homeland, will be reinvigorated by the trip back to the land of his birth and will really kick on his third season in English football.

All in all, with the under-21s and under-18s continuing to excel, the club debt free (thanks again, Mo) and the promise of new signings, there is much to look forward to ahead of the new season. Shahid Khan has made all the right noises so far about preserving the club's illustrious history and developing and expanding Craven Cottage, but one's things for sure: the moustachioed maker or automobile parts has a very big pair of shoes to fill.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=298

WhiteJC

Noisy neighbours around the country
by Sheepskin Junior

Since my first Fulham, and indeed football match in December 2003 at the age of 6, the noisy neighbour status has shifted greatly around the Premier League.

Of the biggest rivalries in both my first season and the most recent being: Arsenal/Tottenham, Chelsea/Fulham, Manchester United/City and Liverpool/Everton, 3 out of 4 have undergone a power shift at some point. In 2003/4, Arsenal were the clear winners in 1st, with their North London rivals lying down in 14th. Last season they were separated by 1 point in 4th and 5th respectively. The only match-up without a change in status is our own. Having only beaten Chelsea once since I've watched Fulham, there has been no cause for change in that respect. 03/04 saw Chelsea finish in a very respectable 2nd place, while we achieved a very good 9th. Since then we have always finished below them, most recently with a gap of 3rd to 12th. A lot can be said about the changes in the status quo in the city of Manchester. In the 03/04 season, Manchester United finished 3rd. City all the way down in 16th. I think we all know what happened in the past two years, although United did reclaim both their dignity and their trophy at the end of Sir Rednose's reign. Liverpool have been through a torrid time recently, I've seen them achieve a record high 2nd in the Premier League, I've seen them win the Champions League and the F.A Cup (but not the Intertoto), yet from the 4th place of 03/04 to Everton's narrow escape from relegation in 17th, they have somehow degraded to 7th place, with Everton ahead of them in 6th.

I thought I'd throw in the facts before getting to my point – will there be any surprises or changes in the expected orders? Who will come out on top in Manchester, Liverpool and North London?

I'd like to think that this is the year we finally beat Chelsea again. Even if we have to give Luis Boa Morte a pay-as-you-play contract for those two games. In my lifetime, we have beaten them once. My lovely mug has been in a Shropshire newspaper more times than that.

Chelsea have so far signed Mark Schwarzer, Marco Van Ginkel and Andre Schurrle, so unless Mourinho has got something very special up his sleeve (Wayne Rooney for example) they don't look as though they are going to change much. Admittedly we have signed the same number of players (I'm not counting Riether and Karagounis) but we are looking at a serious defensive improvement. Having said that, unless Jol has something very special up his sleeve – Darren Bent being the most likely – the only substancial change will be their differing tactics from last season. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky this year.

As for the Manchester rivalry, well I personally think this will be the most exciting season for these two clubs, and for everyone else as a neutral. Both teams with a new manager, City having spent £76.9 on just 4 players. This, I think, will prove to be ineffective in their persuit of the title. Yes, I believe the noisy neighbours in sky blue will go one better than United, but the title will return to London in the hands of the special one.

The North London and Liverpudlian derbies are always, in recent times anyway, closely contested. However, with Everton under the control of a new manager, it may take time for the players to adjust to his style in the league. Liverpool ought to take advantage of this, providing their reportedly unsettled striker stays with them, for one, but also sinks his teeth into the league on his return from suspension. I doubt anything will change in the North London camps, neither team has changed much and the only big thing is whether Bale will keep the phenominal form he had in the last campaign.

And so concludes my first blog on FoF. It's certainly given me some thinking points for the upcoming season. Thank you and as always, COYW

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=333

WhiteJC

A Tribute and a word of patience.
by andersons11

Last season our only recognized right back was considered to be Stephen Kelly, with Aaron Hughes as first team cover. Once again Fulham supporters raised an eyebrow and uttered the phrase of "Who?" when Sascha Reither was signed on loan from FC Cologne, a club just relegated to the Bundesliga B. As stated above most people had never heard of him unless they followed the German leagues, even then it took a quick Google search to find out that he was a member of the League winning Wolfsburg side (along with Ashkan Dejagah.)

He filled Fulham's three criteria for a new signing. One he was an experienced player in his position, something needed in a mid –table side, in order to avoid any disruption. Two he was cheap, even more so that it was a loan. Third, he played against us in the famous Europa run, well that last one was made up, but it does seem like a large portion of the current squad has lined up against Fulham in Europe.

The season began and it was clear from the start the Reither was exactly what we needed at right back. A set of legs and an engine that would put the Energizer bunny to shame. (Apologies if this analogy doesn't translate directly) The little German can cross, defend and occasionally pop up with a goal. A charming personality and hard work rate quickly endeared him to the Fulham faithful and we couldn't imagine the right side of defense without him. He was many supporters choice for player of the season.

This brings up the next point, as proven with Reither, McBride, Saha and others. It is about the right player for Fulham, regardless of name or transfer fee. While we all wish for that big multimillion signing that would completely revolutionize our squad, it just isn't the Fulham way. A new owner in Shad Khan will not change this, atleast for the moment as there is every indication that the club will be run in the exact same way that it has been during the MAF tenure. If there is a midfielder available that fits our needs and he is at a reasonable price, then we will go out for him. Remember the team just returned from Costa Rica and Fulham holds its cards close to its chest.

When that signing comes in the coming days and you go "who?" or are a little disappointed at the "lack of ambition" in the signing, just remember he could very well be the name on the back of your shirt the next season.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=336

WhiteJC

Fulham Chase Pablo Osvaldo Deal | Stats Analysis of the Roma Striker

Following his appointment as the new Roma boss last month, Rudi Garcia has since managed to make an impressive start to life at the Stadio Olimpico by bringing in a host of exciting new talent ahead of the upcoming Serie A season.

The arrivals of Mehdi Benatia, Kevin Strootman and Maicon highlight the club's ambition to gatecrash the European spots this season and the Frenchman will have plenty more funds to play with after the recent sale of Brazilian defender, Marquinhos to mega-rich Paris Saint Germain for €35m.

Another name expected to depart the capital this summer is controversial striker, Pablo Osvaldo, with Premier League side, Fulham waiting in the wings to secure the Italian's signature.

It's hard to name somebody the 27-year-old hasn't upset during his two-year stint with the Giallorossi and for that reason, he is likely to leave the club this transfer window if the right money is put forward. Osvaldo is something of a fiery character, having been sent off nine times in the last six years of his career, and the Argentine-born forward had two separate altercations with team-mates, Nicolas Burdisso and Erik Lamela last season. The list of doubts that come with the obvious talent is endless.

Reports in Italy on Friday claimed Fulham, buoyed by the new ownership of Shahid Khan, had tabled an offer of around €12m but Roma are looking more towards the €17m mark. Southampton were strongly linked last month but the former Espanyol striker turned down the chance to discuss a move to St. Mary's and also Russian side, Zenit St. Petersburg.

Although his brief spell in Italian football has mainly been disrupted by arguments and criticism, Osvaldo has shown on many occasions that he is a quality striker on his day and would be a fantastic acquisition by Martin Jol  and the Fulham board this summer.

Last season, Osvaldo scored 17 goals in 26 games as Roma finished sixth in Serie A and were also runners-up in the Coppa Italia final. His best strength is scoring different types of goals, whether that be with an acrobatic strike or lifting the ball over the goalkeeper when running onto a through ball, and his anticipation in and around the box is sometimes overlooked.

Osvaldo is also very strong in the air, scoring five times with his head last season, and often likes to play one-twos with team-mates and drift into the box for deep crosses or pull-backs from the by-line. He is an intelligent footballer but much depends on how he could link-up with Dimitar Berbatov should he choose to follow Maarten Stekelenburg from Rome to West London this summer.

Like Berbatov, Osvaldo doesn't like to drift out wide and run the channels, nor does he put many crosses into the box, with just 5 of his attempted 24 last season being accurate. However, he does like to play short passes and drop inside on his right-foot, therefore the build-up play through the centre, along with Bryan Ruiz, sounds fruitful and that could be something Martin Jol might want to establish up top.

In 2012/13, Osvaldo attempted an average of 21 passes a match, totalling in 662 with 442 (71.1%) of those being successfully executed. He also showcased his overall team-play by creating 18 chances and although he was playing alongside world-class stars such as, Francesco Totti, Daniele De Rossi and Miralem Pjanic at Roma, Osvaldo would work well playing alongside the likes of Ruiz and ensure the goalscoring touch that has brought 39 league goals in the last three years of his career with both Espanyol and Roma respectively continues.

Berbatov (15) was Fulham's top goalscorer by a long stretch last season, with Mladen Petric (5) being the second highest and the Croatian has since been released, therefore more options in attack is something unquestionably needed at the Cottage before the start of the season. Osvaldo would be a shrewd choice to fill that void but it all hinges on whether he could form a superior partnership with the genius that is Berbatov.

He's a guaranteed 10 goal-a-season man and perhaps his cautious temperament, or the fact that Roma want to recoup most of the fee they paid to get him in 2011, is the reason why more clubs apart Southampton and Zenit haven't expressed an interest in his services. If they can handle his attitude and identify a system that suits both himself and Berbatov, Osvaldo would be a great signing by Fulham.

http://www.eplindex.com/epl-news/35952/fulham-chase-pablo-osvaldo-deal-stats-analysis-roma-striker.html?

WhiteJC

Sporting Lisbon keen on Orlando Sa

Portuguese newspaper A Bola is reporting that Sporting Lisbon have made a move on AEL Limassol forward Orlando Sa.

Having stayed without Ricky van Wolfswinkel and with Diego Capel and Armindo Bruma also linked with summer exits, the Lions are in desperate need for attacking reinforcements.

Seeing as how they are operating on a very tight budget, Sporting Lisbon are forced to only consider free agents or cheap players.

One such footballer is AEL Limassol forward Orlando Sa, with the Lions officials already contacting the player's representatives over a switch to Estadio Jose Alvalade.

The 25-year-old, one of the highest earners at the Cypriot club, has rejected a wage cut and is likely to be offered a mutual termination by club chiefs.

Sporting Lisbon are hoping the former Fulham forward will become a free agent in the coming days, which would give them a good chance to wrap up the deal.

Since joining AEL Limassol from Fulham last summer, Sa has scored 5 goals in 20 league appearances.

http://www.soccernews.com/sporting-lisbon-keen-on-orlando-sa/124484/?

WhiteJC

Forget year of the snake, it's the year of Bryan.
by andersons11

Bryan Jafet Ruiz González or just Bryan as it states on his kit is entering the third season of his contract at Fulham Football Club. If you were to rate players on how much they divide supporter's opinion on players, Ruiz would finish just behind Senderos and Berbatov. Brought in from FC Twente, via Gent and recent opponents L.D. Alajuelense, there were very high hopes for the Costa Rican, having had a good career in Holland.

It is coming on three years after former Chairman Mo Al Fayed parted with a large sum of money that ventured into Marlet territory, with various numbers bandied about by the papers. As always Fulham announced the transfer as undisclosed so the exact amount is unknown.

The first of Bryan's years here could be described as very unpolished. You could clearly see the talent he had in glimpses with a bit of skill here an amazing pass there or two outrageous chipped goals to mark the arrival of his scoring boots. It took a little while and it looked like a star was emerging by the Thames, but April of that year saw Ruiz injured away at Bolton.  It was an abrupt end to a season that threatened to spark into life.

The second season Bryan produced another mixed bag of results. However some of these cannot be placed on one player, let alone the team. Having trained more it looked as Ruiz had put on some more mass in order to cope with the more physical English League, whereas he had free reign of scoring areas in Holland, defenders in England aren't so keen to allow that. Ruiz was ever present in Fulham's first team this season. Once again he showed immeasurable skill and contributed to his team's cause with 5 goals and 7 assists. Rather impressive considering the fact that he was shuffled about Fulham's midfield like a hot potato. He played every position across the top aside from the left and even played two (?) matches in central midfield in a failed Dembele type experiment. While the two players are very similar in the technical aspect, Ruiz does not have the physical prowess to dribble and hold off opposition like Dembele did. (Side note, the Author does not believe Dembele would have been remembered as fondly as he is now if he was never moved to midfield. Ruiz' and Dembele's scoring record is very similar in the forward position)

Ruiz' second season also saw the arrival of a certain Bulgarian by the name of Dimitar Berbatov. It was proven time and time again during this season that both of these players would start regardless of output. After all, one was a high priced signing and the other probably wouldn't have arrived without the current manager and a guarantee of match time. Some would argue that both of these players cannot function in the same match day team. The two players can and do function well together, this is not the issue. The issue with these players is a lack of service.  During both months long rough patches of this season the highest attacking player was neither of these. Often times our forward players had to venture into the heart of midfield to receive the ball, which does not make attacking, or counter attacking for that matter an easy task at all. This makes it all the more impressive that Ruiz was Fulham's joint top rated player alongside Dimitar Berbatov, based on Opta Stats.

Production wise that season Bryan averaged 45.8 passes a match, completing 84.8 percent of these. Key passes in the final third came 1.7 times a match, while he was fouled in the same number. Being ever so consistent his tackles averaged 1.7 as well. A better service from deeper in the midfield should help his offensive output this season.

This upcoming season could very well be the season Ruiz wins over those who doubt his purpose at Fulham.  A preseason tour of Costa Rica geared very much toward his star in his homeland could do nothing but boost his confidence regardless of his output. There is nothing better to go to your backyard and play in front of those who first saw your career take off. Ruiz definitely made a statement in his homeland, being very much involved in the action. Scoring 3 in 3 and assisting others he looked lively throughout the tour. A well taken volley and a brilliant dummy, fooling both the defender flying in and the keeper were highlights of his tour. While the opposition wasn't up to the English League's standard it was a very good test for the squad as a whole. It was good to see David, Kasami and Mesca given chances and the return of Ashkan Dejagah.

He still has a lot to prove in the upcoming matches versus Parma, Werder Bremen and Real Betis.
Expect to see him get as much time on the pitch as Jol begins to solidify his first team for the coming season. Where will he play? Expect it to be just behind Berbatov, as it was last season. Kasami played well in this position, but not well enough to depose Ruiz in Jol's order. Though there is a possibility he could be tried out on the wing, looking good there in preseason, even though this provided mixed results during last season.

Ruiz has what it takes to be a professional footballer at this level. He has the range of passing, a whole bag of tricks, a wonderful free kick and decent pace and while his finishing last season wasn't the greatest, when he did finish it was classy. Confidence is everything in the profession of a footballer and it looks like Ruiz is full of it. All of his past experiences in the various leagues and his venture into the English League look to come together , and barring injury this could be a very, very good year for Ruiz.

However if footballing doesn't work Bryan could always push some high priced salons newest shampoo, he certainly has the looks for it.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=339

WhiteJC

Does our team have enough chemistry?
by Riether Lightning 63

So with the news that we might just miss out on Roma striker Pablo Osvaldo by €7m, it seems that we need to start looking elsewhere for our latest black and white star. My question is though, should we be looking for 'stars' in the first place? Or are we in danger of becoming like Man City and Q.P.R and just throwing money at the problem.

I want to take you back to 7 August 2008, the day we signed proven Premier League goalscorer Andy Johnson, to pair him up with our other new signing Bobby Zamora, in what was meant to be a partnership that would fire us to the top. Except the only problem was, only one of them fired in the goals that season. Due to our formation that season of 4-4-2, Bobby Zamora was meant to be the #9 (as his shirt number indicated), but he spent most of that season being in the shadow of Andy Johnson who top scored that season. Obviously they lacked the keyword of this piece 'chemistry', because most front two partnerships work when both players share the goals rather than being lopsided in one way or the other (I refer you to the Man Utd 99 season, Sheringham + Solskjaer and Cole + Yorke).

Let's compare that to our strike 'partnership' next season on. Bobby Zamora and Zoltan Gera took Europe by storm, because of their 'chemistry'. Bobby was given three options when he recieved the ball in the opposition half; play the ball out wide, play the ball back to Zoltan Gera or take the ball on and go for goal himself, rather than having to ALWAYS look for Andy Johnson.

THIS is why we struggled for goals last season. We had two players in Brian Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov who both wanted to play the #10 role, so when the ball went out to our two wingers, there was nobody in the box to score the goal. This is why many people were asking for Hugo Rodallega to start more often, because he was the typical #9 that would have stood in the box waiting for service.

So my question is how much chemistry does our team have? By my reckoning, 0. All our partnerships were taken apart this transfer window. Hangeland and Hughes (together sincce January 2008) gone, with Amorebieta set to take up Aaron's role, was the only real partnership we had (I'll allow you to argue Riether and Dejagah reliving their Wolfsburg days, but unless Martin puts Duff in his natural position of left-wing, that's never going to flourish).

The point I am trying to make is, when we make our signings this summer, not only do we need to consider the players quality (I'm sure Osvaldo is a very good player), but also how well they fit into our system. This may seem obvious, but we are not in a position to be ableto drop 1/2/3 league places again. If Man City start stumbling, they have the resources to fix the problem, but if WE start stumbling, we will be stuck with the players until the end of the season. Who knows where that will leave us ending up?

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=349

WhiteJC

Fulham could face transfer embargo over French starlet Plumain as furious Lens threaten legal action

Fulham have been threatened with legal proceedings over the signing of 18-year-old midfielder Ange-Freddy Plumain and could face a transfer embargo.

French Ligue 2 side Lens were furious when Fulham confirmed the transfer on their website and the club released a statement claiming Plumain was still under contract and Martin Jol's side had therefore broken FIFA rules.

Chelsea found themselves in a similar position over the signing of Gael Kakuta in 2007, which resulted in a two-year transfer embargo and a four-month suspension for the player.

Frenchman: Fulham could face legal action over the signing of Ange-Freddy Plumain

Like Plumain, Kakuta was also a Lens player and Fulham could now face a similar wrath having reportedly not sought permission to speak to the player.

'English club Fulham recently reported the signing of Ange-Freddy Plumain,' read an official statement from Lens.

'Racing Club de Lens is surprised to hear the information to the extent that the player still under contract, and had no authorization on a possible engagement.

'The player has been absent from his place of work since July 8, without a valid reason. A procedure has been initiated against the various parties concerned.'

Chelsea appealed their embargo in the Court of Arbitration and the order was lifted and £100,000 compensation was paid to Lens.

The 18-year-old is expected to be in Fulham's development squad for the coming season's Under 21 Premier League.

Plumain represented France at Under 16 level and made 22 appearances for Lens last season.

Been here before: Kakuta was at the centre of a similar dispute in 2007

Meanwhile, Hull City boss Steve Bruce has failed in his bid to be reunited with former Wigan forward Hugo Rodallega.

Fulham have rejected a bid of around £3million for 28-year-old, who signed a three-year deal at the London club after joining on a free transfer last summer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2379955/Fulham-face-transfer-embargo-signing-Frenchman-Ange-Freddy-Plumain.html#ixzz2aKPwBgpw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Liverpool, Arsenal...should we fear this invasion?

In the 17th Century, a group of Calvinists fled England to escape religious and political persecution. Leaving from Plymouth on the Mayflower, they headed for the new world – America. Since, the United States has developed into the globe's most dominant modern imperial power, with enough military might to take on the rest of the world combined, and a capitalist stranglehold on the world economy.

The money-loving Americans have it all, but now they want our football clubs. Fulham's recent change of ownership brings the tally of American owners of Premier League outfits up to six, along with the Glazers at Manchester United, Randy Lerner at Aston Villa, the Fenway Sports Group at Liverpool, the Gunners' majority shareholder of Arsenal Holdings PLC Stanley Kroenke, and Ellis Short, who took full control at Sunderland in 2009 after previously holding a 30% share.

The purchase of Fulham by Shahid Kahn, a Lahore-born entrepreneur said to epitomise the American dream, who bought the club outright from Mohammed Al-Fayed for £200million, is just another development in an incredibly alarming trend in the English game.

Call me a tad xenophobic, but there is a stark contrast between the influx of owners from the United States and those arriving from Russia and the Middle East. First of all, Russia have a strong heritage in the beautiful game; they are European Championship and World Cup regulars, whilst recently, their domestic clubs, most namely Anzhi and Zenit, have flexed their financial muscle to become emerging forces on the European stage. Culturally, football has always been popular, and is now regarded as the top sport in Russia following the break-up of the Soviet Union.

Granted, the Americans have come a long way in recent years. They held the World Cup in 1994, and the MLS has grown rapidly since its first season in 1996. But in cultural terms, it still remains behind American Football, Ice Hockey, Baseball and Basketball, and at youth level, is largely considered as a women's sport. Whereas Chelsea's Roman Abramovich and Reading's Anton Zingarevich had a basic, spectatorial knowledge of football before purchasing their respective clubs, the likes of John W Henry at Liverpool, or the Glazer clan at Old Trafford, have about as much footballing nous at the average English toddler. Overall, the United States is one of the only highly-developed nations in the world that hasn't fallen in love with the beautiful game.

In the Middle East too, football is a popular past-time. Perhaps their footballing investors are less equipped at understanding the Premier League in comparison to home-grown owners and chairmen, but compared to their American counter-parts, they have one distinct advantage – money. Manchester City's Sheiks have spent almost £1billion on the first team at Eastlands, whilst there have been obvious investments at many levels behind the scenes, including the club's new Etihad campus, designed to create a stronger academy.

For the likes of Sheik Mansour at City, as well as Abramovich at Chelsea, their clubs are prized possessions, that can be propped up no matter what by their personal fortunes. But the same cannot be said for the American businessmen making the trip over the Atlantic pond. They are businessmen first and foremost, not men with too much money, and they're here to make a quick buck rather than enrich the quality of the Premier League, and that alone is their soul motivation.

John W Henry and Tom Werner admitted as much to The Guardian in 2010, the Glazer family purchased Manchester United on a huge debt package in 2005, whilst Randy Lerner and Ellis Short have hardly filled Aston Villa and Sunderland with unprecedented dividends to propel them up the league table. All are here to increase their personal wealth; actual success in footballing terms comes a distant second.

Of course, that's hardly a rarity in the modern game. Most chairmen or board members come from the business world, often excited by the challenge of making money from an incredibly volatile industry, where profits can depend on performances on the pitch. But whereas Tottenham's Joe Lewis has an entrenched understanding of the club's unique connection to the Jewish community, or Norwich City's Delia Smith is well aware of the working class roots and values of the English game, the same can't be said for the American contingent that's rapidly expanded over the last decade.

Furthermore, these aren't simply businessmen from across the pond taking a punt on an alien industry, for the sake of advancing their portfolio. The vast majority own sports franchises in the United States; Khan also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL, Liverpool's Fenway Sports Group own Baseball side Boston Red Sox, and Malcolm Glazer has run the Tampa Bay Buccaneers since 1995.

But all have come to realise one fatal flaw in the American sports industry that is almost impossible to overcome and will one day stagnate the market; the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL are highly popular within the realms of the United States but none have global appeal, at least not to the same levels of the Premier League.  The English top flight is expected to make £3billion in profits next season, with half coming from TV revenue that sees games broadcast across the world. Similarly, shirt sales of star players brings in added profits that can't be replicated in the US; Real Madrid claimed in 2010 to have already sold £100million's worth of replica Cristiano Ronaldo kits world-wide. It's football's mass appeal the Americans wish to tap into, having realised the short-comings of their own native franchises.

Combining the two markets and creating synergy between the industries also appears to be a big part of the master plan. Fulham's new owner is a champion of bringing NFL games more regularly to England, whilst the Glazers and the Fenway Sports Group will be hoping their franchises' loose affiliations with Premier League clubs will turn more English fans towards American sports, or at least break down the cultural barrier that seems to severely limit our interest.

Its globalisation the Americans want, and it will remain their ultimate agenda. Most alarmingly about the current situation however, is the numbers of US owners, which only looks set to accelerate. Khan's acquisition of the Cottagers makes the American clique just one owner shy of having considerable power, as it takes seven votes to block any proposal put forward to Premier League proprietors at their collective meetings with representatives from all twenty top flight clubs, although they will need to increase their numbers considerably to 13 to pass their own suggestions.

But with the national game already in disrepute as it finds itself crushed under the financial power of the English top flight, it doesn't suggest any huge reforms for the sake of English football and English football alone, regardless of its hypothetical effect on the division's overall income, will be passed any time soon. Similarly, with the Americans pushing for globalisation at every opportunity, the chances of match-day rejuvenation to counterbalance the growing generation of armchair supporters who prefer to watch their football via their Sky Sports subscriptions in the safety of their own homes, remains incredibly unlikely.

The Premier League has always maintained its neutral stance on ownership, with nationality, race, colour, creed or background never used as a form of discrimination. It's allowed for unprecedented wealth and continuous expansion, but the influx of American businessmen is taking our game down a dangerous path. They have no interest in the quality of footballers produced or provided, the happiness of the fans or the intrinsic involvement our clubs have in their respective local communities. They have no wealth to offer us that others can't, and whereas Roman Abramovich or Sheik Mansour view their hefty financial investments as a gift to a project taken up on their own personal accord, the US contingent expect big profits in return.

They're here to make money, by whatever means, and their overall view of the direction the Premier League should be heading in is in disturbing contrast to the average English fan. The Premier League is being Americanized, at the cost of the heart and soul of the English game.

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/liverpool-arsenal-should-we-fear-this-invasion?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol sets Hugo Rodallega goal target

Fulham boss Martin Jol has challenged Hugo Rodallega to score at least 10 goals this season.

The Colombian striker, who joined the club from Wigan Athletic last summer, found the net three times in 33 matches during the last campaign.

"Hugo is a goalscorer and I feel he should get at least 10 goals, so that is something we have to work on," Jol told The Fulham Chronicle.

"He will say 'boss I didn't play all the matches', so you've got to look at it from both sides.

"People at Fulham only tend to score three, four or five goals, so I was very happy with (Dimitar) Berbatov scoring more than any other striker over the last eight years."

The Cottagers start the new campaign at Sunderland on August 17.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/jol-sets-rodallega-goal-target_95376.html

WhiteJC

Fiery striker Pablo Osvaldo set to join Fulham... this could go badly

Controversial AS Roma striker Pablo Osvaldo is close to securing a switch to Premier League side Fulham.

Why the negative vibe you ask? Well, he's got previous.

The only reason Osvaldo is leaving Roma is because he's had an almighty fall out with just about everyone at the club.

Do Fulham and their new mega-rich owner Shadid Khan really want to deal with Osvaldo's antics next season?

Also, what if he doesn't get along with Dimitar Berbatov? That has the potential, from those two alone, to make Fulham's locker room one of the stroppiest and most negative in the Premier League.

But it shouldn't all be doom and gloom.

Behind the veil of a troubled and flamboyant individual lies a sensational soccer player. How often do we see these mercurial talents gone bad in today's game? Mario Balotelli, Joey Barton, Carlos Tevez and a handful of others could easily take the mantle as soccer's bad boys.

Yet Italian international Osvaldo has the potential to be one of the very best. In flashes he has shown his goalscoring potential at Roma and in La Liga at Espanyol. The Argentine born striker has scored 47 goals in his last 99 league games, he is as strong as an ox, has incredible acceleration and can bring others into the game telepathically with his hold up play. On his day, he's sensational.

But when things don't go his way, it's not a pretty sight. He's been sent off nine times in six seasons, has returned late for winter camps, fans have vandalized his car at the training ground after he snatched a crucial penalty kick away from captain Francesco Totti... then missed it. The list goes on and on.

Like I said, he has previous.

But the latest blowout from Osvaldo is why he's on his way out of Roma. The 27-year-old was dropped for Roma's biggest game in years, a Rome Derby in the Coppa Italia final in May against their bitter rivals Lazio.

Following Roma's loss, Osvaldo refused to get his runners-up medal and insulted interim manager Aurelio Andreazzoli before punching an advertisement board used for post-match TV interviews. Andreazzoli didn't hide his feelings towards Osvaldo.

"Causing a scene when the TV cameras are running is nothing new for him," Andreazzoli said. "But then in private he just moans and whines. That's his problem, though, not mine. For a player who represents the national team, he should have better ethics. But again, that's his problem."

After hearing that interview, Osvaldo sent out the following Tweet. "You'd do more good if you admitted to being incompetent... Go celebrate with Lazio."

For that outburst Osvaldo was left out of Italy's Confederations Cup squad. Oh dear. Someone didn't go to the social media training day...

Anyway, at Fulham maybe Martin Jol can keep a handle on Osvaldo and get the best out of his talents. A change of scenery and a new challenge could do the Italian forward the world of good.

But if it all goes pear shaped, expect an in-game scuffle between him and Berbatov. Flip a coin, this could go either way for Fulham.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/26/fiery-striker-pablo-osvaldo-set-to-join-fulham-this-could-go-badly/related/

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Three chasing snubbed Sunderland full-back Phil Bardsley

Phil Bardsley: Sunderland full-back would prefer a move to London

Sunderland full-back Phil Bardsley is a target for Fulham, Newcastle and Blackburn, according to Sky sources.

The Scotland international angered manager Paolo Di Canio towards the end of last season when he was pictured in a casino.

Di Canio left Bardsley out of his squad for the pre-season Asia Trophy in Hong Kong, and the 28-year-old has been back on Wearside training with the reserves.

Bardsley admitted earlier this month his time at Sunderland is up, and Sky sources understand his preference is for a move to London.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/8843561?

WhiteJC

Wins For U21s/U18s

Fulham's Under-21s and Under-18s both continued their impressive pre-seasons with friendly wins on Saturday.

Kit Symons' Under-21s defeated their Celtic counterparts 2-0 as Marcello Trotta scored both goals in a behind-closed-doors encounter at the St George's Park National Football Centre in Burton.

And our Under-18s ran riot at Charlton Athletic's Sparrows Lane training ground with a comprehensive 5-1 win.

All six goals came in the first half. After a scrappy start, Fulham went in front when Jordan Evans' exquisite floated ball found George Williams who finished with aplomb into the bottom corner. Evans then made it 2-0, collecting Moussa Dembele's flick-on and firing home.

Dembele made it 3-0 when he found space in the box to score and the same player notched Fulham's fourth with a superb individual strike. Almost immediately it was five as Demeble's flick was buried by Evans for his second of the game.

Charlton reduced the arrears from the spot after Liam Donnelly had given away a penalty and the heat took its toll in the second period with no further goals from either side.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/27/wins-for-u21s-and-u18s?

WhiteJC

Newcastle eye Sunderland cast-off Phil Bardsley for shock move across the Tyne-Wear divide

Initial moves to take defender to Black Cats' bitter North-East rivals have been made PLUS Cattermole and Wickham latest

NORWICH, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 02: Phil Bardsley of Sunderland and Anthony Pilkington of Norwich City battle for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Norwich City and Sunderland at Carrow Road on December 2, 2012 in Norwich, England. (Photo by Jamie McDonald/Getty Images)

Joe Kinnear is lining up his first Newcastle signing – Phil Bardsley, who has just been ­released by big rivals Sunderland, writes Alan Oliver of the Sunday People.

The word from the defender's camp is that the Magpies have made ­"tentative ­inquiries" for Bardsley.

And Kinnear is not put off by the 28-year-old's bad-boy image, after he was pictured lying on a casino floor covered in £50 notes.

But if the Toon's director of football does decide to add Bardsley to the Geordies' ­rather threadbare squad – they are the only Premier League side not to have signed a first- team player in the close season – he will find competition from both Fulham and Blackburn.

However, reports linking Newcastle with Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac are wide of the mark.

Click here for the latest on the Geordies' striker search.

At the other end of the field, a £2.5million bid should bring PSV Eindhoven keeper Jeroen Zoet to St James' Park.

Meanwhile, Sunderland ­midfielder Lee Cattermole's hopes of j­oining Fulham on loan have been hit by a heel injury.

QPR boss Harry Redknapp is considering Sunderland's Connor Wickham on loan after Norwich beat him to Gary Hooper and losing Jamie Mackie to Nottingham Forest.

Other Championship clubs are also eyeing Wickham.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-transfers-newcastle-eye-bardsley-2096274#ixzz2aKSp3OBw
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Martin Jol faces transfer embargo after Ange-Freddy Plumain signing
FULHAM are facing a possible transfer embargo after signing Ange-Freddy Plumain from Lens on a free transfer.

The French club are furious, claiming teenager Plumain was still their player and had not been given permission to talk with other clubs.

Lens are also angry midfielder Plumain, 18, had been absent from the club since July 8 and therefore in violation of his contract.

The situation is similar to the one Chelsea had with Lens in 2007 over Gael Kakuta, which resulted in them being given a two-year transfer embargo and a four-month ban for the player.

It is unlikely Lens would complain to FIFA again unless they had a watertight case.

The French Ligue 2 side released a statement yesterday claiming Plumain was still under contract and Martin Jol's side had therefore broken FIFA rules.

It said: "Racing Club de Lens is surprised to hear the information to the extent that the player is still under contract and had no authorisation on a possible engagement."

Plumain, who has represented France at Under-16s level, played 22 times for Lens last season and scored 18 goals.

Fulham are in Germany where they play Werder Bremen today.

A spokesman said he was unable to comment.

Kakuta, then with Lens in Ligue 1, signed with Chelsea against his former club's wishes, who then complained to FIFA.

The world governing body imposed a two-year transfer embargo on Chelsea with Kakuta also suspended as FIFA declared both player and club were "jointly and severely liable."

The Stamford Bridge club appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, who ruled Kakuta's Lens contract was not valid and so could not be breached and lifted the embargo.

Chelsea came to an agreement with the French side, paying Lens about £100,000 for the player.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/329147/Martin-Jol-faces-transfer-embargo-after-Ange-Freddy-Plumain-signing?