watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(31/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 31, 2013, 04:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham put in improved bid for Darren Bent as Newcastle interest continues to simmer

The 29-year-old's representatives are set to meet Joe Kinnear this week as the Toon look to add a striker to their squad

Plenty of interest: Darren Bent is being targeted by Fulham and Newcastle
Neville Williams

Darren Bent is moving closer to an Aston Villa exit as Fulham and Newcastle tussle for the striker's signature.

The Cottagers have put in a bid that comes closer to Villa's £6million valuation as Martin Jol tries to add to his squad ahead of the new season.

But The Times reports that Joe Kinnear is looking to meet with Bent's representatives later this week and hopes to secure a move for the England international to Newcastle.

According to the report, Fulham had an offer rejected for the striker over the weekend and have put another bid in since.

With Kinnear yet to make a signing since becoming Newcastle's new Director of Football, the pressure is on to buy a new player and the 29-year-old is on his radar.

Villa recently agreed a new contract with Christian Benteke, further pushing Bent down the pecking order.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/darren-bent-transfer-fulham-put-2104503#ixzz2aam0ejul
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Mesca Out To Impress

After signing a new contract with the Club earlier this year, Buomesca Tue Na Bangna is delighted to have been given a chance to show his skills in pre-season with the First Team.

The winger has been regularly called into action on the tour of Costa Rica and was also brought on for the injured Alexander Kačaniklić against Werder Bremen on Sunday. Now in a training camp in Austria, the youngster is focused on the future.

"It's been great, we've been doing well," he told the official website. "But we lost the last game [in Bremen] and I was a little bit disappointed. We'll keep working hard and we'll improve to make it all good by the start of the season.

"It's been a good summer so far, I feel really fresh. I didn't play a lot of football last season, so it's good to be back with a ball at my feet again. I've been working really hard in the gym and out on the training pitch – as a result I feel strong."

After catching the eye at this point last year, Mesca has played a part in all of Fulham's pre-season games to date and has impressed with his attacking intent and drive.

"I'm very happy to have been given the opportunity," he said. "It gives me great confidence and the Manager always wants to push me, to make me work harder and to show what I've got.

"I try to do my best to make sure that I impress the Manager and to make it into the First Team. I'm really enjoying getting a chance."

After impressing in pre-season last summer, the 20-year-old, who was born in Guinea-Bissau and has represented Portugal at youth level, suffered a cruciate ligament injury which ruled him out of much of the campaign.

"I felt like maybe I wouldn't get the opportunity this year because of the injury and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get back fit to make an impact this season," he added. "But the Club has been great, they've helped me to push on and to get stronger.

"I'm so happy to come back and go straight into the First Team squad for pre-season, and hopefully I'll get even stronger. It's important for me to play games again; it was something that I missed. That's what I want to be doing, it's my job. My time on the sidelines was tough, but I'm fully recovered and looking forward to showing everyone what I can do."

Mesca is now focused on making his mark on Martin Jol's side when the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season rolls around in just a few weeks' time.

"I'm looking forward to coming home and I want to make sure that I show people what I can do on the Craven Cottage pitch in front of the fans," he said. "I hope I can play for the team and help us to win and get good results next season.

"I'm 20, so I'm no longer a teenager anymore. Some young players like to go out on loan, but my preference is to prove myself here at Fulham. Of course, that's not my decision, because the Club may want me to go out loan in order to gain experience.

"But I like to think that if I continue to work hard and make progress, then my chance will come with the First Team. I'm an ambitious player and that's something that I will try to achieve. It's up to me.

"It's a big season for me, and hopefully I can make a breakthrough at some point. It would be a dream come true and a significant moment in my life if I could make my debut. We have a lot of football ahead, so who knows what will happen."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/30/mesca-out-to-impress?

WhiteJC

West Ham, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Newcastle & Celtic target allowed to leave for free

Abdisalam Ibrahim, Norway. Picture: Nigel French/EMPICS Sport

Transfer news: In-demand Manchester City youngster Abdisalam Ibrahim has reportedly claimed that the Etihad outfit have granted him a free transfer.

The 22-year-old Norway youth international has been linked with a host of clubs this summer, including London trio West Ham, Crystal Palace and Fulham.

The likes of Newcastle, Swansea, Hull, West Brom and Scottish championsCeltic are also said to be interested.

Ibrahim is currently on loan at Norwegian side Stromsgodset, but he is keen to seal a move to a Premier League club soon.

"Yes, it's true the club gave me a free transfer last week and my advisors are speaking with clubs at this stage," Ibrahim is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

"I'm hoping to have my future sorted in the next couple of weeks hopefully by mid August.

"Stromsgodset have been really good to me and I have developed so much here, but now I would like to test myself at the highest level which is playing in the Premier League week in week out."

http://www.london24.com/sport/west-ham/west_ham_crystal_palace_fulham_newcastle_celtic_target_allowed_to_leave_for_free_1_2307158

WhiteJC

Which club is better for Darren Bent? Fulham or Newcastle United?

Fulham are back in the race to sign Aston Villa striker Darren Bent according to the latest reports.

Several sources suggested last week that Fulham were out of the running to sign the England man, leaving Newcastle United seemingly free to complete the deal at their leisure.

However, Fulham's interest seems to have been revitalised and Bent has a tough decision to make over which side is going to be better for him heading into the new season.

Fulham, under their new ownership, are probably in the best position to be able to offer him a deal which is similar to the one he currently enjoys at Aston Villa.

He's one of the best paid players at Villa Park and the financial side of things is something that Bent, and any other professional, will factor in when making his decision over where best to move.

In terms of game time and playing style, Fulham would also be able to offer him a lot more support than he may find at Newcastle.

Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and Hugo Rodallega are all superb players in possession and in terms of their creativity in the final third of the pitch, which panders to Bent's ability as a goal poacher.

However, that could be a weakness and an advantage to Newcastle United because should Bent move to St James Park, he'll more than likely have a better chance of becoming the lead striker at the club.

Bent has always been at his very best when he's been the main man. Pressure seems to drive him on and get the most out of him, elevating his game to a point where he looks like one of the best English strikers around.

Newcastle would also represent the chance to enhance his popularity dramatically because of the immense support base the club has.

Bent's recent time at Villa has been frustrating because he's not had the opportunity to bathe in the glory and create that legendary status with the supporters which can be so addictive, especially for front men.

Fulham at the moment probably have a better chance of finishing in a higher league position.

They know their limitations and use basic, clever tactics to get the most out of the side and they stand a great chance of getting into that group of the top eight by the close of the coming season.

Fulham also arguably have the more exciting future under the new ownership of Shahid Khan, who could make heavy investments in the team over the next few seasons to drive them forward.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/30/ld-which-club-is-better-for-darren-bent-fulham-or-newcastle-unit/?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa reject two bids from Fulham for striker Darren Bent as Newcastle United step up interest
Fulham have made the first moves in the chase to sign Darren Bent after tabling two bids for the Aston Villa striker.

Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, offered £4 million for the England international on Saturday before returning with a restructured offer 48 hours later, but Villa are understood to have turned them both down and are standing firm on their valuation.

Newcastle United are expected to step up their bid to sign Bent this week, after more than a month of hesitation, with director of football Joe Kinnear under pressure from Alan Pardew to complete a deal.

Kinnear is yet to make a first-team signing since his controversial appointment and Newcastle are refocusing their efforts on recruiting Bent after growing frustrated in their pursuit of Lyon's Bafetimbi Gomis.

Villa want a minimum £6 million for their record signing, even though Bent is training with a group of outcasts and has been told he will not play for the club again.

The 29-year-old is determined to kick-start his career and is believed to favour Newcastle over Fulham, despite his previous spell in the North East with Newcastle's bitter rivals Sunderland.

Bent is also setting his sights on making an impression on England manager Roy Hodgson, with the World Cup less than 12 months away, and wants a move to make up for a frustrating campaign last season.

Newcastle are scheduled to hold talks with Bent's representatives in the next few days, but any move is unlikely to happen before the weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10211617/Aston-Villa-reject-two-bids-from-Fulham-for-striker-Darren-Bent-as-Newcastle-United-step-up-interest.html

WhiteJC

Fulham target's Bundesliga move

Fulham appear to have missed out on the signing of Junior Malanda, who looks set to join Wolfsburg and be loaned back to Zulte-Waregem.

Fulham may have pulled out of the race in the wake of concerns about their acquisition of French teenager Ange-Freddy Plumain, but Malanda had been targeted from last season and was recently in London for talks. The 20-year-old freed himself from his deal at Zulte-Waregem by using Belgian employment law and the reports claiming he is to return to the club for next season on loan could be Wolfsburg's way of heading off any trouble from the Belgians in the future. Newspaper Sudpresse claim the Belgian Under-21 star will undergo medical tests with the Bundesliga club and be loaned straight back to his former club, who face PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League on Tuesday night. Malanda is ineligible for the tie, but could be available for the next round if the Wolfsburg deal goes through quickly.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-targets-bundesliga-move-1611142.html?

WhiteJC

Jol Rues Injury Blow

Over in Germany, there`s no arguing that Fulham suffered a hefty blow when our young Swede Alex Kacaniklic picked up a hamstring injury.

The injury will see Kacaniklic miss the start of the season and Martin Jol has every reason to rue his absence and when asked about the injury had this quote for the media,

"Kaca had made a lot of big steps with us so it`s a blow."

"It`s not what you want in pre-season. You want your players fit."

Indeed you do and I get the impression that Kacaniklic may well have had a key role to play in the opening few matches that start with a difficult looking trip to a Paulo Di Canio rejuvenated Sunderland!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=326681#ixzz2aanxtiCb

WhiteJC

Looking for an Influx of Two?

As the new season approaches the vibes from within the camp suggest that Martin Jol is still looking to bring in a couple of players.

It would seem that a striker is a priority with Jol looking for a classy operative to take some of the expectation levels off of the shoulders of Dimitar Berbatov.

Also, it would appear that Jol is keen to boost the midfield area of the squad with the following remark appearing in the morning press about the striker want and the middle of the park,

"We have some top players in consideration and we`d like another midfielder as well."

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who Martin might be keeping a close eye on?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=326682#ixzz2aao7M9wf

WhiteJC

Fulham FC Wants You

Have you ever wanted to be a part of the Fulham FC matchday experience? Well now you can, as David 'Diddy' Hamilton is looking for some assistants.

- Watch Diddy on Sky Sports News on Thursday 1st August from 9am

Our matchday announcer at Craven Cottage is after two budding reporters (one male, one female) to help out at all 19 games when the Whites are at home this season: interviewing fans on arrival in Bishops Park/Stevenage Road and within the ground at half-time; getting into the stands to talk to fans and, of course, ensuring that our mascot Billy the Badger is involved as well.

This is your chance to prove why you should be helping out Diddy for Fulham! Just send us the link to a 30 second clip of yourself on YouTube interviewing a friend or family member about the Club. We want to know: What does Fulham mean to you?

You can submit your clip's YouTube URL to the e-mail address: [email protected] or through Twitter by using the hashtag #ffcshowtime.

Make sure to share your clip with your friends and have them get involved as well - tweet us @fulhamfc or post on our Facebook wall to get the word out. You have until Friday 9th August, ahead of the friendly game against Parma on Saturday, to get your submission in. Best of luck!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/30/fulham-fc-wants-you?

WhiteJC

Team Focus: Martin Jol Need Not Worry About Adding Another Striker

Martin Jol was fairly accurate with his recent assertion that his Fulham squad is in need of another striker to lessen the goalscoring burden on Dimitar Berbatov. The Bulgarian only just completed his transfer to Craven Cottage in time last summer - he joined on the final day of the transfer window - and Fulham would be a whole lot worse off if that hadn't gone through in time. He was the only Fulham player to score more than 5 Premier League goals last season, bagging 15 himself, with Mladen Petric and Bryan Ruiz following (5 apiece). Petric scored 2 of his goals on debut back in August and he has now left the club. Jol is exaggerating, though. Another goalscorer isn't needed, just helpful.

Nonetheless, it would be a poor decision to compromise Berbatov's attacking input in any way and that may put off players from moving to southwest London. Operating primarily with just one man up front last term, Jol isn't able to promise a regular spot in the starting lineup to strikers he looks into buying, and rightly so.

The former Tottenham and Manchester United man has managed to stand out just about wherever his football has taken him, but arguably nowhere more so than last season at Fulham. Playing ahead of a midfield that oft contained the likes of Steven Sidwell and an ageing Giogos Karagounis, Berba was always going to be the star of the show and he delivered with seeming ease.

What Jol will have to be careful of when bringing in any more attack-minded players is that the team does not suffer when a new striker plays. The likelihood is that the manager will not switch from playing with a lone striker, so another attacker would force Berbatov to play deeper in the number 10 role and Bryan Ruiz would thus move out wide, likely taking 34-year old Damien Duff's spot in the side. Whilst a new striker could provide the pace that Jol believes his side need to 'get in behind' the opposition defence, both Ruiz and Berbatov may not take to kindly to being moved to accommodate such a player.

Ruiz maintained a WhoScored rating of 7.35 in his preferred attacking midfield role, compared to just 6.4 when moved out wide. Similarly, Berbatov scored 7.32 on average when playing up front and that dropped to 6.95 when playing deeper. Furthermore, Berbatov scored 14 goals and assisted 3 more in his 26 appearances as a striker, but could only net once in 6 appearances in the number 10 role that many consider him most suited to. Given his lack of pace, his technical ability and eye for a killer pass that few else would spot, there is good reason to believe he would be better off playing behind another striker. In terms of the good of the team, this is far from the case, though.

Fulham won 11 Premier League matches in the 2012/13 campaign; 10 of those wins came in the 26 games with Berbatov playing as a centre-forward (the only other victory being the aforementioned in which Petric scored twice - a 5-0 win on the opening day of the season against Norwich). That 38.5% win rate with Berbatov starting up front was much of the reason they finished as high up the table as they did. In the 6 games when he started in AMC behind either Petric or Hugo Rodallega, the Cottagers failed to win a single game, and only managed to score twice. That is, with Berbatov in attacking midfield, Fulham gained an average of 0.5 points per game, scoring 0.33 goals per game, while when the Bulgarian started up front, they won an average of 1.54 points and scored an average of 1.46 goals.

It was not as if the games he played in a deeper position were more difficult. Amongst those matches were 1-1 draws at home to Wigan and Southampton, a goalless draw at Norwich and a 1-0 loss at Stoke. The other two games were meek 3-0 losses at home to Spurs and Chelsea. The only reason to compromise Berbatov's attacking capabilities would be if there were sufficient quality brought in to replace him up front but with the season opening drawing near, the chances of Jol doing so appear to be fading.

Papers aplenty have linked the Dutchman with a reunion with Darren Bent, whom he brought to White Hart Lane for a club record transfer fee, and it wouldn't be a bad idea for Jol to push for that transfer to happen. His goalscoring exploits is up there with the best in recent times in England; only 5 players have scored more Premier League goals over the past 4 seasons than Bent, who has netted an impressive 53 times, despite only starting 8 games in the most recent campaign.

But would having Bent as a striker and Berbatov deeper be an improvement for the Cottagers? Arguably not. Interestingly, Berbatov is one of those five to have netted more goal than Bent since the start of the 2009/10 season. Those goals have almost exclusively come from a striking berth and there is good reason to believe that he should retain the spot at Craven Cottage. Bent has not played regularly for well over a year and, despite his relative pedigree, would represent something of a risk at £6m, the reported fee. He is far from happy at his lack of opportunities at Villa Park at present and would certainly not be any happier doing a similar job at Fulham.

The fact of the matter is however that Berbatov plays best when played up front and Fulham perform best when Berbatov plays well; they lost only 1 of the 14 Premier League games in which he scored last season. The combination of Ruiz-Berbatov as the 10-9 in the Fulham lineup worked, and while another option up front would be beneficial, only back up is really necessary. Fulham do not have endless funds and six million pounds is a lot of money. Martin Jol has signed young talent before and he could do so again. The club have no need to rush into buying another striker and should not worry too much if they fail in their pursuits. A top half finish is wholly achievable; it was always going to be with Dimitar Berbatov around.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/EOlXd0_9hEOMWjSGxqxIJA/Show/?

WhiteJC

Fulham target Uruguayan

Walter Gargano of Napoli has been targeted by Fulham as they look to add depth to their midfield, The Daily Mail reports.

However, the newspaper goes on to claim that a number of midfielders are being considered by Martin Jol.

Gargano

The 29 year old midfielder has spent the past season on loan at Inter Milan, the midfielder tends to play deep and protect his defenders.

The player will bring with him a wealth of experience as he is currently part of the Uruguayan national team set up and has earned 56 caps since his debut back in 2007.

Gargano has also been at the top of the game in the Serie A with a satisfactory career at both Napoli and Inter Milan.

In a deal which could be worth around £6 million, it is a chance for Fulham to add real steel to their midfield at a relatively cheap price, which is very difficult in today's climate.

Gargano's agent Alessandro Lucci is in London to agree terms with Fulham as the player is said to be keen on a move to England, according to The Daily Mail.

Alternatives

The paperl also identified in the article that Fulham are monitoring the situations of Tottenham Hotspur man Tom Huddlestone, Sunderland midfielder Lee Cattermole and Marseille's Morgan Amalfitano.

However, if Fulham decide to go after the latter of the players then they will face competition from Hull, West Brom and Olympiakos.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/fulham-target-uruguayan/59234/?

WhiteJC

Fulham weigh up third bid for Darren Bent after £4m move is rejected
• Aston Villa turn down second offer for striker
• 29-year-old favours move to Newcastle

Fulham are considering lodging a third bid for Darren Bent after seeing a second offer rejected by Aston Villa, despite the fact that the England striker is thought to favour a move to Newcastle United.

The London club, now under the ownership of the car-parts billionaire Shahid Khan, had a £4m bid rejected over the weekend and returned with a restructured offer for a similar amount this week. Villa are seeking at least £6m for a player who was their record signing when moving from Sunderland for £18m two years ago but whose star has fallen to such an extent that he is currently training away from Paul Lambert's first-team squad.

Newcastle's interest in the England forward extends from last season and the manager, Alan Pardew, had been hopeful a deal would be concluded for the 29-year-old, with whom he worked for six months at Charlton in 2007, earlier in the summer. Yet their pursuit appears to have been complicated by Joe Kinnear's appointment as director of football, with talks now apparently pencilled in with Bent's representatives for this week.

Bent is understood to favour working with Pardew again – the manager would intend to use the striker in a slightly more withdrawn role, behind Papiss Cissé – despite his connections with Sunderland, and feels the move would offer him an opportunity to regain an England place before next summer's World Cup finals. Yet given how long it has taken for talks with Newcastle to come to fruition and with the perception that Kinnear's appointment has rather undermined the manager's position, there remains the possibility that Fulham could tempt the former Ipswich and Spurs forward back south, particularly if an increased bid matches Villa's valuation.

Newcastle are still exploring the possibility of taking the France striker Loïc Remy on a season-long loan from relegated Queens Park Rangers, albeit only with the Championship club supplementing a proportion of the forward's £70,000-a-week wage package. They retain an interest, too, in Lyon's Bafétimbi Gomis despite failing with a bid worth almost £7m for the 27-year-old, whose contract has only 12 months to run.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/31/fulham-darren-bent-newcastle-aston-villa?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ryan Williams joins Oxford on loan
FULHAM are sending highly-rated Aussie winger Ryan Williams, 19, to League Two Oxford on loan.

The Australian has opted to try and get more first-team opportunities at Oxford united

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/329705/Fulham-s-Ryan-Williams-joins-Oxford-on-loan?

WhiteJC

Porto sign Fulham & Besiktas target Sinan Bolat

Porto have signed Sinan Bolat on a five-year deal which will see the Turkish international goalkeeper at the club until June 2018.

Bolat was closely linked with moves to Fulham and Beşiktaş after being released by his former club Standard Liege.

The 24-year-old keeper joined his new teammates for training this morning at Centro de Treinos e Formação Desportiva PortoGaia.

Bolat missed most of the season with a cruciate ligament injury however, has recovered and was recently called up for the Turkish national team.

The Turkish international keeper famous for being the only goalkeeper to have ever scored a Champions League goal in open-play kept 19 clean sheets in 52 appearances in 2011-12.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=4957

WhiteJC

Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio's a man with a plan

INDECISION over selection for the Premier League opener doesn't seem to be a problem for Paolo Di Canio.

From the moment the team sheets sprang off the printer in the Hong Kong Stadium last Wednesday, the Sunderland head coach gave the strongest possible indication that he was well aware of his first-choice XI to face Fulham on August 17.

The prominent among Sunderland's summer signings were all included in the side which started both games in the Barclays Asia Trophy, as were the faithful descendants of the old regime.

But with only one more friendly for Sunderland's players to mark their mark, where do Di Canio's selection dilemmas lie in the next two-and-a-half weeks?

Certainly, further additions to the squad could change matters.

As Di Canio told the Gazette out in Hong Kong, there is a very definite list of requirements he still wants addressing before the window slams shut – two full-backs and a creative midfielder.

The continued absence of a specialist full-back in the squad – if the ostracised Phil Bardsley is not counted – remains the biggest concern among supporters, primarily because Sunderland have historically struggled to address the positions on either side of the defence.

Seeing deals for Gino Peruzzi, Benjamin Mendy and Lucas Orban fall through, plus Tottenham's refusal to sell Danny Rose, has only heightened those worries.

The problem for Di Canio now is that even if he does sign a full-back or two before Fulham visit the Stadium of Light, then there is precious little time to integrate them into the fold.

They need a right-back more than a left-back too, with Craig Gardner serving the final game of a three-match ban on the opening day against Fulham.

Yet if Sunderland can make it through the Cottagers clash, Gardner and Jack Colback could well find themselves in the full-back slots if the new recruits take their time settling or are deadline-busting arrivals.

Is that a worry?Certainly, Colback is arguably as strong at left-back as he is in midfield and shepherded Aaron Lennon superbly in the Barclays Asia Trophy – although admittedly the Spurs winger couldn't use his pace on such a sorry surface.

And while Gardner had several rushes of blood at right-back last season, he still played there more than in midfield, and produced some excellent performances.

Long-term, the Black Cats need specialists, but in the immediate term, neither stop-gap measure is a cause for sleepless nights.

The make-up of the other two members of the back four is far more predictable.

John O'Shea will surely be Sunderland's skipper this season, and is the organiser of the defence, while Wes Brown adds the Rolls Royce element to the back-line.

Di Canio freely admits that he wasn't planning anything around Brown. In fairness, neither were supporters.

Everyone had accepted that the 33-year-old would receive a cheque in the post from Sunderland to bring down the curtain on his playing career.

Everyone that is apart from Brown himself.

Suddenly, he has not just been thrust back into contention in the squad, but into the starting XI as well.

Di Canio continues to want to test Brown's resilience. That is why he kept the former England international on the mud-bath pitch for the full 90 minutes against Manchester City on Saturday.

But with no full-backs yet on board and Modibo Diakite only resuming training with the main group again today, the defensive line is decided.

It is a similar story in midfield, at least until Di Canio can sign that midfielder capable of "unlocking the doors" as he put it.

Seb Larsson will be the most vulnerable, if and when that player is brought on board, with Cabral shining in the Far East.

The former Basel man has certainly not been brought in to make up the numbers.

The two wide midfield slots don't seem in any doubt, with Emanuele Giaccherini and Adam Johnson both very much Di Canio favourites, and likely to start at Fulham.

Like the wingers, Sunderland's two up front look assured of their places for Fulham, even at this stage.

Stephane Sessegnon has reaped the benefits of a tough pre-season programme, and seems to be revelling in the philosophy Di Canio is attempting to implement.

Sunderland could still be tempted to offload Sessegnon should they receive an acceptable offer for the Benin international.

But with Steven Fletcher likely to miss the start of the season and Connor Wickham and Ji Dong-won still to prove themselves for the Black Cats consistently, it would be foolhardy for Sunderland to offload Sessegnon now.

Arguably, the only big selection decision Di Canio has to make for Fulham is who starts the campaign as his No1 goalkeeper.

The presumption was that Keiren Westwood would be first-choice after the departure of Simon Mignolet.

But Di Canio gave a strong hint from his unchanged selection in Hong Kong of his preference for Vito Mannone, with the £2m arrival starting both games.

From the very first moment he stepped into the job, Di Canio has had a grand blueprint that he has been desperate to implement.

He knows what he wants, and he is making sure his players know it too.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-boss-paolo-di-canio-s-a-man-with-a-plan-1-5905852

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man bags third double in four games for Lambs

Tamworth striker Richard Peniket bagged his third double of pre-season as the Lambs secured a 7-0 win over Heather St John on Tuesday night.

The former Fulham striker, a Welsh under-21s international, has also netted braces against Aston Villa and Stoke City.

The Lambs cruised to victory against their Midland Alliance rivals, having been invited to Heather to play a friendly match to celebrate the opening of their new 106 seater stand.

After soaking up Heather's early pressure, the Lambs took the lead on 11 minutes through Richie Baker.

The Lambs doubled the lead on the half hour mark. Former Walsall man Jake Jones was brought down just outside of the box having beaten two players.

Baker took the free-kick and hit a firm low shot under the wall for his second of the game.

Peniket was then twice denied before making it 3-0 in the 41st minute, finishing off a good passing move.

Peniket, who started out at Walsall, added the fourth in added time at the end of the first half, hammering the ball home.

Dale Belford made seven changes at half time and substitute Stuart Hendrie made an instamnt impact with the fifth Lambs goal on 49 minutes with a low shot into the right corner.

Andy Todd made it 6-0 in the 75th minute and three minutes later it was 7-0 as Lloyd Kerry was well placed in the box to fire home after another good passing move.

Tamworth: Cameron Belford (Jose Veiga 45), Andy Todd, Tom Eckersley, Ben Richards-Everton, Connor Gudger, Duane Courtney (Louis Harris 45), Richard Baker (Lloyd Kerry 45), Tony Capaldi (Scott James 45), Richard Peniket (Darren Byfield 45), Justin Richards (Stuart Hendrie 45), Jake Jones (Kaiyne Woolery 45)

Heather St.Johns: George Woodward, Matt Addcock, Chris Waldrum, Eoin Bradford, Steve Dennahy, Ben Minshull, Martin Davies, Ryan Pirrie, Conal Powall, Jimmy Slack, Richard Lonsdale. Subs all used:- Angus Parker, Jacob Wright, Alex Rowland, Joe Price, Lee Barrow, Nathan McAllister, Jack Keyte, Dan Harris

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/story-19592968-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer news: Malanda-Adje deal closer

Malanda-Adje [Action Images]

Fulham have stolen a march on Arsenal and Manchester United in the race to sign Belgian midfielder Bernard Malanda-Adje.

United and Arsenal had been leading the chase for the Zulte Waregem player, who is now a free agent, but SportsDirect News has learned that Fulham boss Martin Jol is closing in on his signature.

The west London club had a £3 million+ bid for the player turned down, with the Belgian club valuing him at closer to £5m. Unite boss David Moyes also made a move for the player when he was managing Everton.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/29196-fulham-transfer-news-malanda-adje-deal-closer.php

WhiteJC

Fulham Step Up Chase for £6m-Rated Uruguayan Defensive Midfielder

Cottagers are keen to strengthen in the centre of the park for the upcoming campaign.

Fulham are keen on signing experienced Napoli midfield player Walter Gargano this summer, according to reports in the Daily Mail.

The west London club are understood to be desperate to add as many bodies in midfield for the new season after allowing a number of players in that position to leave Craven Cottage since the end of the previous campaign.

So far, Cottagers head coach Martin Jol has inquired about possible summer deals for a trio of highly rated central midfield players, including Tottenham Hotspur's Tom Huddlestone, Lee Cattermole of Sunderland and Olympique de Marseille's Morgan Amalfitano.

However, it is believed that the Dutchman has now switched his attentions towards Napoli's Uruguay international Gargano instead after the holding midfield player's proposed move to Serie A giants Inter Milan fell through over his club's £6 million asking price for the 29-year-old.

Gargano spent the previous campaign on a season-long loan at San Siro, playing in 36 matches in all competitions for the Nerazzurri, including in 27 league outings for the club.

And with the Uruguayan desperate for regular first-team football next season so as to be able to represent his country at next summer's World Cup in Brazil, Gargano is said to be happy to move to the capital this summer, with the player's agent Alessandro Lucci due in London this weeks for talks with Fulham over a possible move.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/07/31/fulham-step-up-chase-for-6m-rated-uruguayan-defensive-midfielder/?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa receive no follow-up from Fulham as Darren Bent waits
Aston Villa were this afternoon yet to receive an acceptable offer for Darren Bent, with Fulham still to follow up on their initial enquiry.

The striker is wanted by both the Cottagers and Newcastle but the Londoners are the only club to have made a tentative move for the England man.

They are believed to have approached Villa and suggested what they would be prepared to pay – which would not meet the club's valuation.

Reports elsewhere had suggested Fulham made an initial bid of around £4m.

But the Cottagers have not returned with any follow-up move for Villa's record signing, who cost the £24m from Sunderland in 2011.

Reports from the north east suggest the Magpies were due to meet Bent's representatives today but any talks would leave them open to being reported to the FA and Premier League for breach of rules.

Bent, 29, is not in boss Paul Lambert's plans, is training away from the first team and was handed squad number 39 this month.

He is not expected to play any part in tonight's friendly at Walsall but is continuing to train at the club's Bodymoor Heath training base.

Meanwhile, Villa head to the Banks's Stadium tonight backed by a sell-out 3,750 travelling army.

It will be the first time most fans will have had the opportunity to see Lambert's new signings close to home turf with Villa's only Villa Park friendly against Malaga next week.

A crowd of around 7,000 is expected for Walsall's 125th anniversary game (7.30pm) with Villa the Saddlers' first-ever opponents in 1888.

It is Walsall's final game before Dean Smith's side kick off their League One season on Saturday at home to Tranmere.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/07/31/aston-villa-receive-no-follow-up-from-fulham-as-darren-bent-waits/?