News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is the Taarabt signing a shot across the bow for Ruiz?

Started by Aaron, August 07, 2013, 10:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I'm not Ruiz bashing here (Well.. not deliberately) but does anyone think that the Taarabt signing is Martin Jol's way of giving his golden boy a nudge without writing him off completely?

Having thought about it multiple ways I have come to the conclusion that Taarabt and Ruiz in the same 11 is not a possibility.  Neither is an out and out winger, neither is a CM nor a striker.. That basically leaves the number 10 position and there's only one of those up for grabs. 

Taarabt is volatile, Ruiz is inconsistent neither of them should be playing every week.  Taarabt is also a Martin Jol golden boy, so are we going to see alternation of these two based on their form?

If this had been a permanent deal I wouldn't have liked to have been Bryan Ruiz as he'd have found himself being, at best, the 2nd best player in any position that he can supposedly play in.  For a £10m+ marquee signing to all of a sudden find himself benched would have been too much to stomach and wouldn't have been a popular choice with a lot of fans or the board.. Is this Jol's way of addressing the Ruiz problem, but discreetly?

JackyFulham90

Jol will find a way to play Ruiz , Taarabt & Berbatov. Kacaniklic is the one who will suffer from Taarabt signing for us

Captain Fulhamerica

I think it should definitely push Ruiz, although I doubt this is Jol's way to getting him out of the team.  I agree that it doesn't seem feasible to have both Taarabt and Ruiz in the same team.  It seems like we would lose too much defensively.  I would be very surprised if Taarabt starts for us against Sunderland.  I expect to see him come off the bench for a few games, if he impresses then Ruiz might be in trouble.

MJG

I'm just waiting to see Ruiz start as sweeper as Jol finds more imaginative ways to play him.

Lighthouse

I would imagine Dejagah is the player most in danger as if Ruiz and Taarabt and Berbatov play behind a striker there would be no room for wide player.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

JHunter_Fulham4Life

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on August 07, 2013, 10:55:45 PM
Jol will find a way to play Ruiz , Taarabt & Berbatov. Kacaniklic is the one who will suffer from Taarabt signing for us

Actually, I think it's Duff that's going to lose out here, unless Jol wants to use Kaca and/or Frei for a change of pace in the second half. Either way, we're going to be a LOT faster up front than we have been... assuming Taarabt doesn't go all pouty -- as he does.

Bassey the warrior

If indeed he does play wide left I hope Kaca still plays plenty and starts some games. I suppose it gives us options, we can play narrowly with the right technical players in Ruiz, Berba and Adel or wide with a number of wingers available too.

Ruiz11

Ruiz will move to the right, Dejagah to the left and Taarabt in behind Berbatov in the number ten role. Maybe this is the answer to our slow, predictable build up play: Taarabt is much faster and livelier than Bryan and really flourished when he was played there by QPR (like when they beat us 2-0 with him scoring both). However, this does mean that we go back to the problem of Bryan on the wing, and also lose the combination between Riether and Dejagah.

filham

I saw Taarabt as the long awaited attacking CM replacement for Dembele  and possible understudy for Ruiz when he is not available.  Taarabt. Ruiz and Berbatov together provide loads of attacking talent but have to agree that organisation and work rate of the team may drop a notch with all three present.

After 2 full seasons and a lot of experimenting with Ruiz Jol must have learnt by now that the only position to play him is as a number 10 just behind the main striker. Surely Jol wouldn't want to lose face by having his £11m striker on the bench so can't see Taarabt as the number 10.

Fernhurst

Hmm A trio of luxury players is two too many !,

Anyone who witnessed Bryan's  half - hearted quarter - hearted challenge on Luiz which did sod all to prevent him lashing in the first for our mother-in - law down the road last season will quickly realise midfield combativeness is essential in the Prem.

Roy's solid tactics of using his wingers as hard working defenders to crowd out midfield has long gone, leading to performances like getting overrun and losing four goals at home to a team already relegated ?..

All that said... And off my chest... Cant wait for the season to start to see if Uncle Jol can allay my fears and gel a formation to toast most opposition ....... COME ON YOU WHITES  049:gif
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Fulhampete

Watching Ruiz stroll about against Betis was too much for me. Even when the ball was going to a player within a few steps of him he failed to even challenge. Anyone who goes sideways when competing for a fifty fifty ball to avoid contact is beyond defending. As difficult as it may be for some people to accept he is hindering any chance of this team improving. The only role he could fill is that done by Berbatov and I know who I, and most fans, would rather have. Time for us to get our head out of the sand and admit this is a mistake on a level with Marlet.

rusty shackleford

I am a fan of Ruiz, however I would be struggling to play him ahead of Taarabt