News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could a pressure on Martin Jol be holding him back?

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, August 08, 2013, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

When he was first appointed, Martin Jol spoke of his desire to return to England and to work in the Premier League, and I wonder whether it's this fear of being without England and the Premier League as to why he isn't spending the resources Khan has said will be available. I understand both Martin Jol and Alistair Macintosh will be looking for value for money in the market, but with now 3 weeks left of the transfer window and 8 days until the season starts, time is catching up on us. I don't want to be a doom and gloom supporter, but as it stands, the centre midfield area of our side is still not top ten standard, admittedly I am not a Steve Sidwell fan, but should he be in our best starting XI? I don't think so.

Another season like the last, and I'd like to see Martin Jol relieved of his duties at the end of the season. He's had three years to build a squad, admittedly he lost his two best players late last summer but he's spent over £30m in his time as Fulham manager; managing 9th and 12th as well as dropping out of the Europa League in the group stages, two 4th round exits in the FA Cup and two exits of the Capital One Cup at the first attempt. I just hope Gus Poyet isn't in a job by that point.

fulhamben

What money has he said is available? All I've ever heard him say is we will follow the plan in place. Which was obviously going to be a little naff as mo wanted out
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2013, 08:29:35 PM
What money has he said is available? All I've ever heard him say is we will follow the plan in place. Which was obviously going to be a little naff as mo wanted out

He has openly said, numerous times, that he will not micro manage FFC and his job is to give the club resources but hold people accountable.

Chrisp

I'm not convinced by khans comments about resources being available - a plan was in place and he is going to support that was the message I've taken from hearing him which to me sounds more like business as usual. We probably can buy a couple of players like Bent and probably another midfielder but I'd doubt there is huge money.

It will be interesting to judge it all at the end of the transfer window as if you say you have cash to splash the prices always go up, I'm sure Jol will spend most of whatever he has.

Progress so far this transfer window has been good, the Midfielder we need is still missing but that's not a quick fix it might take longer to find the right player with what we have to spend

fulhamben

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on August 08, 2013, 08:32:45 PM

He has openly said, numerous times, that he will not micro manage FFC and his job is to give the club resources but hold people accountable.
and what if those resources are 10 mil, 6 of which we have already spent?

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2013, 08:35:44 PM

That wasn't his money...

fulhamben

Quote from: Chrisp on August 08, 2013, 08:34:52 PM
I'm not convinced by khans comments about resources being available - a plan was in place and he is going to support that was the message I've taken from hearing him which to me sounds more like business as usual. We probably can buy a couple of players like Bent and probably another midfielder but I'd doubt there is huge money.

It will be interesting to judge it all at the end of the transfer window as if you say you have cash to splash the prices always go up, I'm sure Jol will spend most of whatever he has.

Progress so far this transfer window has been good, the Midfielder we need is still missing but that's not a quick fix it might take longer to find the right player with what we have to spend
we have had nearly a year to find tha player though, how long does it take

fulhamben

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on August 08, 2013, 08:36:13 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2013, 08:35:44 PM

That wasn't his money...
yes but my point stands, anyone can say they have the resources but without knowing what it is, then it could be anywhere between a pound to a hundred mill. If we had a big kitty then surely we would have put a good bid in for someone by now.

Chrisp

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
Quote from: Chrisp on August 08, 2013, 08:34:52 PM

we have had nearly a year to find tha player though, how long does it take

Good point, I mean until the end of the transfer window though as there is still time to get someone in - we could prob bring in Cattermole right away but he's useless so I'm hoping we are still looking for better!

Admin

There was a plan in place whilst Mo was still at the helm, whether it was Jol's plan or Mackintosh's plan is either here nor there.

What you've got to remember, is that Khan has come into this club knowing practically nothing about who and what we want.

He's prob been given the low down from Mackintosh and spend a short period of time with Jol, but that's it.

In a nut shell, I recon Khan has said he'll support the current plan and if funds need to be made readily available, then they will be.

At present, we seem to be sticking to the current plan and no money is needed.

like I've always said, Khan won't be micro managing the club, but he will however hold those accountable who balls up.

Let's just hope, and I'm only speculating here, that Mackintosh plan to scrimp and scrape once again comes off.  

fulhamben

Quote from: Admin on August 08, 2013, 08:46:24 PM
There was a plan in place whilst Mo was still at the helm, whether it was Jol's plan or Mackintosh's plan is either here nor there.

What you've got to remember, is that Khan has come into this club knowing practically nothing about who and what we want.

He's prob been given the low down from Mackintosh and spend a short period of time with Jol, but that's it.

In a nut shell, I recon Khan has said he'll support the current plan and if funds need to be made readily available, then they will be.

At present, we seem to be sticking to the current plan and no money is needed.

like I've always said, Khan won't be micro managing the club, but he will however hold those accountable who balls up.

Let's just hope, and I'm only speculating here, that Mackintosh plan to scrimp and scrape once again comes off.   
dont see how you can balls up when ( up till now ) we have had very little to spend. Yes spending money does not guarantee success ( think qpr) , but if you spend a lot less then those around and you have a bad season, then who's fault is it? You can hardly say its the mangers fault cos he couldn't shine a turd. Part of me wishes mo was still here cos then we would have known this window would be bad as usual , but now I have hope of better things to come.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on August 08, 2013, 08:18:08 PM
When he was first appointed, Martin Jol spoke of his desire to return to England and to work in the Premier League, and I wonder whether it's this fear of being without England and the Premier League as to why he isn't spending the resources Khan has said will be available. I understand both Martin Jol and Alistair Macintosh will be looking for value for money in the market, but with now 3 weeks left of the transfer window and 8 days until the season starts, time is catching up on us. I don't want to be a doom and gloom supporter, but as it stands, the centre midfield area of our side is still not top ten standard, admittedly I am not a Steve Sidwell fan, but should he be in our best starting XI? I don't think so.

Another season like the last, and I'd like to see Martin Jol relieved of his duties at the end of the season. He's had three years to build a squad, admittedly he lost his two best players late last summer but he's spent over £30m in his time as Fulham manager; managing 9th and 12th as well as dropping out of the Europa League in the group stages, two 4th round exits in the FA Cup and two exits of the Capital One Cup at the first attempt. I just hope Gus Poyet isn't in a job by that point.

Not really sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying he's holding back from spending money to improve the squad because he's afraid of failing and not getting another job in the PL?

Burt

I haven't seen any indications of a change yet in the club's philosophy i.e. live within our means.

Which I am actually quite happy about. I don't want us to become the next Leeds/Pompey/Coventry/etc.

Admin

Quote from: Burt on August 08, 2013, 09:57:12 PM
I haven't seen any indications of a change yet in the club's philosophy i.e. live within our means.

Which I am actually quite happy about. I don't want us to become the next Leeds/Pompey/Coventry/etc.

True, which one of Swansea, Southampton or Norwich will be following suite if they carry on.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Jol has also brought money in through sales: Dembele £15m, Dempsey £6m plus others. Given that, our overall outlay in his time must be minimal.

This window he has secured Riether and brought in Stekelenburg, Amorebieta, Boateng and Taarabt so far. That's been a pretty successful window and there is more to come.

Jol tried to get Stekelenburg and Boateng in earlier windows. He has worked with Berbatov and Taarabt before and they have come to Fulham to work with him. So Jol has long term plans in place.

Jol has said we need a striker and a midfielder so he knows what's missing.

If we get suitable recruits as Jol hopes then we should be comfortable if not better than that.

It is too early to be pessimistic and talk about sacking the manager or relegation which shouldn't be on the agenda at all.

How are we going to break through into regular European challengers? Try discussing something more positive.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Admin on August 08, 2013, 10:03:10 PM

True, which one of Swansea, Southampton or Norwich will be following suite if they carry on.

Do we know they aren't doing so already? Yes they've spent lots of money but they're getting lots for TV rights. On this basis I feel we can spend more than last season. We are debt free. Not saying we have to spend lots but we shouldn't be afraid to and I'm sure we aren't.

fulhamben

Quote from: Admin on August 08, 2013, 10:03:10 PM

none, they are just spending the extra 30 mil that they have got this year

JBH

I am personally getting sick of reading all the negative crap posted on here MJ will always do his best with what ever funds he is given so let him do his bloody job anf get off his case!

The window is open for another 4 weeks so if he has targets lined up there is still plenty of time to do a deal at least he isn't throwing stupid money around just to please us fans he wants the right players for ffc anf I for one am willing to wait for him to do so.

COYW

MJG

The transfer fee balance for sales and purchases during Jol's time is almost the same. We have recived slightly more, maybe 4m at most. I have nit got the exact figures in front of me but I looked it up a couple of weeks ago. And that does not take into account free transfers.
People go on about the 21 m from D&D but we haven't sold much more than that since he joined.