watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Another club is "re-branded"

Started by Airfix, August 09, 2013, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

I see myself agreeing with Rhys on this one.

Though I don't agree with this re branding stuff, I tend to accept this is the way all sports are moving ahead in this world, and Football IS the worlds favorite sport, and so dinosaurs like myself, and some others on this MB, might not like it, or agree with it, but we need to learn to accept it, it's just not British, that's all.

PaulJ123

I'm a huge cricket and they only use those names for T20 to attempt to get a new image for that side of the sport to try and get a wider audience involved.

Football doesn't need to do this and it is really down to what the owner wants as it is his/her business after all.

Admin

The day Fulham F.C are re branded to something like the Fulham Cottagers or Fulham Jaguars is the day I turn my back on football all together.

Count Flapula

If we rebrand officially as the Fulham Cottagers there is no point half-arsing it - we may as well go the whole hog , have Billy the Badger put down and appoint George Michael as our new mascot.

LBNo11

...The Fulham Thames Siders, The Craven Idols, The Thames-Bankers, The London Riversiders, The Fulham Cottage Piemen, The Craven A-Team, or Jol's choice - The Berba-Toffs...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cmg

Quote from: ron on August 09, 2013, 11:04:47 AM

When you see, for instance, cricket teams called "Northants Steelbacks", then you can't help feeling that substance is being forfeit for the sake of "image".  

"T20" is an OK sort of entertainment, particularly if you are not too keen on cricket. I am sure Northamptonshire's success in this year's competition owes a great deal more to their skills in this particular discipline than it does to the inspiration provided by their nickname.

'Steelbacks' is a particularly pathetic and inept example of a ludicrous trend towards apeing US practice. "Yankees" has historical resonance and "Steelers" has a sound connection with a hard, physical sport and the major steel-production area that hosts the team. "Steelbacks", which is a totaly made up word, is just plain stupid for a cricket team representing the county of Northamptonshire. Sure steel tubes are still produced at Corby, but even then it would still rank well behind Sheffield, Teeside, South Wales, Motherwell and even Scunthorpe in the national consciousness as a steel-producing area. Northamptonshire CCC have never played at Corby and it has no particular connection with cricket. The industry most readily connected with Northampton is shoemaking - so Northants Cobblers would be much more apt.

I've copyrighted "River Cottage Roadkillers".

gezkc

Quote from: Count Flapula on August 09, 2013, 12:37:30 PM
If we rebrand officially as the Fulham Cottagers there is no point half-arsing it - we may as well go the whole hog , have Billy the Badger put down and appoint George Michael as our new mascot.

064.gif

Riverside

How many Cardiff fans are still upset about their rebranding ?
Bluebird championship team or Red Premier League Team ?

Burt

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on August 09, 2013, 11:53:03 AM
Weren't Hull Cityy already nicknamed The Tigers anyway? All they're doing is adding the nickname onto the end of the official name. No different to us being called the Fulham Cottagers or The Arsenal Gunners. If they'd have gone completely out of the blue and called themselves the Hull City VIPERS or BEARS, then there might have been an issue.

This... not so much

They are Hull City AFC, but in their crest have "The Tigers" as their nickname.

There's a pic in the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23629379

Putney

Quote from: Riverside on August 09, 2013, 01:14:43 PM
How many Cardiff fans are still upset about their rebranding ?
Bluebird championship team or Red Premier League Team ?

A lot, but not enough.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: PaulJ123 on August 09, 2013, 12:09:06 PM
I'm a huge cricket and they only use those names for T20 to attempt to get a new image for that side of the sport to try and get a wider audience involved.

Football doesn't need to do this and it is really down to what the owner wants as it is his/her business after all.

So it's you responsible for eating my new plants ?

MikeCdawg

Quote from: PaulJ123 on August 09, 2013, 12:09:06 PM

thought i could hear a lot of chirping on this board....

alfie

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 09, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: alfie on August 09, 2013, 11:11:54 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 09, 2013, 10:16:46 AM
It deeply saddens me but when will have Fulham Jags to sell our team in the states? I have no idea why Hull think this new branding will help them in any way. Football needs to be very careful. Genesis wrote a song about 'Selling England by the pound'. Let's be careful.

Agree. Our individuality is under threat when we start on shallow imitations of what happens overseas.

When you see, for instance, cricket teams called "Northants Steelbacks", then you can't help feeling that substance is being forfeit for the sake of "image".  

Lack of substance has just got Northants through to T20 finals day

And that says it all. I used to follow cricket both live and on tv and radio. I have no idea what T20 finals day is and I no longer care what Terminator film it comes from. It simply isn't cricket and the Test Matches are the only interest I have.

Without being rude Mr L you continously go on about the boring football served up at Fulham and yet you like a 5 day test match, and nothing can be more boring than that. T20 is fast, entertaining, exciting with nail biting finishes, without the short form cricket would die.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

Quote from: alfie on August 10, 2013, 09:25:37 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 09, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: alfie on August 09, 2013, 11:11:54 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 09, 2013, 10:16:46 AM
It deeply saddens me but when will have Fulham Jags to sell our team in the states? I have no idea why Hull think this new branding will help them in any way. Football needs to be very careful. Genesis wrote a song about 'Selling England by the pound'. Let's be careful.

Agree. Our individuality is under threat when we start on shallow imitations of what happens overseas.

Lack of substance has just got Northants through to T20 finals day

And that says it all. I used to follow cricket both live and on tv and radio. I have no idea what T20 finals day is and I no longer care what Terminator film it comes from. It simply isn't cricket and the Test Matches are the only interest I have.

Without being rude Mr L you continously go on about the boring football served up at Fulham and yet you like a 5 day test match, and nothing can be more boring than that. T20 is fast, entertaining, exciting with nail biting finishes, without the short form cricket would die.

:005: Horses for Courses I guess. Sometimes the point of the game of cricket is to keep in and not just hit the ball as hard as you can like a kid. Football the point of the game is to score goals. It is boring not to try and shoot. But I do understand that cricket is trying to make tha game exciting. It just fails for me. Now if Jol could manage a cricket team he could do a good job over a five day test match.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Buffalo76

Should be rebranded Hell City Tigers  :yay:

jarv

Can't imagine it will do anything for Hull. Question, what is Hull like? The only people I have ever known who have been to Hull, are those from Hull.
Must go one day. Maybe if they stay up, will coincide with a Fulham game.