watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Another club is "re-branded"

Started by Airfix, August 09, 2013, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airfix

Last time it was Cardiff City, who had their colours changed from blue to red.

This time it's Hull City AFC, now to be known as Hull City Tigers.  When will owners realise that tradition is a huge part of football?

092.gif

RaySmith

Holders

It's total nonsense - just like happened in Rugby and pyjama cricket.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Southcoastffc

"Hull will be renamed Hull City Tigers, according to club owner Assem Allam.
The "Association Football Club" part of the Yorkshire club's name, which has been in effect since their formation in 1904, will be scrapped.
Any references to AFC on club branding will be phased out, but will remain on the shirt crest during their first season back in the Premier League."  

Oh no, please no.  They will go on and on and on with that stupid, cringe-inducing "you've been mauled by the tigers" nonsense.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

brightster

I wonder if St Andrews supporters were up in arms about rebranding back in 1898!

VicHalomsLovechild

They were, you couldn't hear yourself thinking for all the tut tutting.

Lighthouse

It deeply saddens me but when will have Fulham Jags to sell our team in the states? I have no idea why Hull think this new branding will help them in any way. Football needs to be very careful. Genesis wrote a song about 'Selling England by the pound'. Let's be careful.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Equalizer

Quote from: brightster on August 09, 2013, 10:11:16 AM
I wonder if St Andrews supporters were up in arms about rebranding back in 1898!

I heard that Mr Braithwaite from no. 47 kicked up a bit of a fuss, but the parson soon had him calmed down again with the promise of a nice cup of tea. Mrs Simmonds from Vereker Road brought some lemon drizzle cake around to the meeting where they were discussing the rebranding and this went down a storm. Ole' Colin the Costermonger farted then fell asleep again.

Attendance was pretty limited in those days.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Craven Mad

As long as we don't get rebranded "The Fulham Jaguars", by our enthusiastic new owner, I couldn't care less what other teams are called..

Ordar

I have to admit, I'm not totally against the rebranding of clubs as much as others seem to be. Things need to updated, clubs update their badges all the time. Stadiums need to be improved, sponsorship deals need agreeing. Modern football is about finding ways to compete, and this is just another way. Are Hull really going to be that affected if they become Hull Tigers... no. In fact as Hull is a massive rugby town it will probably help to bring the fan bases closer together.

The changing of Cardiff's badge and kit created a massive uproar... for about a month. Then the team starting winning consistently and the moaning stopped. (for the most part). I can see the rugby/nfl/ice hockey style branding becoming more common place as its easier to market items and merchandising with those style names.

Hull Tigers
Arsenal Gunners
Fulham Jaguars
Manchester Red Devils
Chelsea Lions Chavs
Palace Eagles
Brentford Bees
Liverpool Victim Syndrome

Rupert

Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Holders

Quote from: Craven Mad on August 09, 2013, 10:31:04 AM
As long as we don't get rebranded "The Fulham Jaguars", by our enthusiastic new owner, I couldn't care less what other teams are called..

I truly think it's the thin end of the wedge/slippery slope.

Do we really want football to go the way of the "franchises"? I sincerely hope not.

Most football clubs have nicknames and most don't use them - for good reason. To manufacture new ones is cringeworthy.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ron

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 09, 2013, 10:16:46 AM
It deeply saddens me but when will have Fulham Jags to sell our team in the states? I have no idea why Hull think this new branding will help them in any way. Football needs to be very careful. Genesis wrote a song about 'Selling England by the pound'. Let's be careful.

Agree. Our individuality is under threat when we start on shallow imitations of what happens overseas.

When you see, for instance, cricket teams called "Northants Steelbacks", then you can't help feeling that substance is being forfeit for the sake of "image".  

alfie

Quote from: ron on August 09, 2013, 11:04:47 AM

Agree. Our individuality is under threat when we start on shallow imitations of what happens overseas.

When you see, for instance, cricket teams called "Northants Steelbacks", then you can't help feeling that substance is being forfeit for the sake of "image".  

Lack of substance has just got Northants through to T20 finals day
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

Quote from: alfie on August 09, 2013, 11:11:54 AM

And that says it all. I used to follow cricket both live and on tv and radio. I have no idea what T20 finals day is and I no longer care what Terminator film it comes from. It simply isn't cricket and the Test Matches are the only interest I have.

ron

Quote from: alfie on August 09, 2013, 11:11:54 AM

I wonder if they should have a "Seventh Over Stretch" for the crowd, so that limited attention spans can be re-focused?

Rhys Lightning 63

Weren't Hull Cityy already nicknamed The Tigers anyway? All they're doing is adding the nickname onto the end of the official name. No different to us being called the Fulham Cottagers or The Arsenal Gunners. If they'd have gone completely out of the blue and called themselves the Hull City VIPERS or BEARS, then there might have been an issue.

This... not so much
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Two Ton Ted

Hull City AFC were so called because Hull FC (rugby league) existed. A lot of northern football teams are AFC (Sunderland for example) to distinguish between the two codes.

Of course, Hull FC and Hull Kingston Rovers merged to form the dreadfully named Hull Sharks, named after the dogfish found in the humber Estuary*.

*This could be true, or it could be another BS rebrand from the sport ridden with them.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on August 09, 2013, 11:53:03 AM
Weren't Hull Cityy already nicknamed The Tigers anyway? All they're doing is adding the nickname onto the end of the official name. No different to us being called the Fulham Cottagers or The Arsenal Gunners. If they'd have gone completely out of the blue and called themselves the Hull City VIPERS or BEARS, then there might have been an issue.

This... not so much

But it is horrible. Fulham Cottagers 2 v Arsenal Gunners 4     We don't want this in football. Otherwise we might as well all do it. 'Lighthouse fat and always wrong' just doesn't fill me with glee.