watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Everyone knows how I feel

Started by Tempest, August 11, 2013, 11:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Jol's comments. May I suggest that Jol is not the problem within FFC but those above him.

As for constant reference to D & D, since we received a fair few million quid for them have we replaced them? No! I'm assuming Jol's continued and increasingly more public comments is a joint statement to us fans plus those above him to start bringing in targets he has identified.

How many times has he talked about a new forward? More pace? the players are out there and certainly within a budget you'd expect FFC to be operating in. I sense a little frustration from Jol.

Jol can only do so much, in essence, little more than identify talent, its others who complete the other 80% of the work so Jols hands are tied as to who does/doesn't come in.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jol walk as soon as a more appropriate position becomes available and I for one wouldn't blame him.  The circus then just goes back in to repeat mode with the new manager operating under the same restrictions.

I for one would like the club to issue some kind of mission statement each year, backing the manager, backing the players, their goals, league position aiming for, cup run, how far etc. Never going to happen but at least this would take a lot of pressure off the manager plus we can all go to games understanding a little more about what the club are looking to achieve.

Not saying we all need to love jol but maybe a little more understanding of his possible situation, based on his own words. Another manager of course can make more of this squad but there are an awful lot more managers who would manage to do a much worse job.

Be careful what you wish for. We can be the next Charlton, Pompey, Leeds, Wolves, sheff Wed. 3 of those clubs clearly much bigger than we are. Nothing wrong with "ambition" but be happy for each season we remain in the PL.
Live in Falmouth!

alexbishop

Can't argue with what you have said here. My only concern however, is that Jol does have a pretty decent squad of players to work with and seems to be getting nothing out of them...

Stek - Dutch No. 1
Reither - one of the better RBs in Prem
Hangeland - one of better CBs in Prem
Boateng - impressions so far are that this is a top player
Duff - intelligent winger, yes ageing now, but still good player
Dejagah - International winger
Kaca - developing winger with potential
Berba - we are weary of his flaws but he is clearly a brilliant footballer
Ruiz - there is clearly talent there and an ability to score goals

These are some darn good players. Yes we know where needs strengthening but I see no reason why these players can't produce some good football and achieve good results. This is Jol's job, to produce results with the talent at his disposal. I have seen no evidence this Pre-season of any tactical changes from last season designed to bring out the best of this group of players and that worries me most.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Deanothefulhamfan

Quote from: alexbishop on August 11, 2013, 11:51:14 AM
Can't argue with what you have said here. My only concern however, is that Jol does have a pretty decent squad of players to work with and seems to be getting nothing out of them...

Stek - Dutch No. 1

These are some darn good players. Yes we know where needs strengthening but I see no reason why these players can't produce some good football and achieve good results. This is Jol's job, to produce results with the talent at his disposal. I have seen no evidence this Pre-season of any tactical changes from last season designed to bring out the best of this group of players and that worries me most.

Great post..... Couldn't agree more

General

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on August 11, 2013, 12:04:33 PM

Stek - Dutch No. 1

Just imagine what Hodgson may have done with a squad like this...

zander

Stek - Dutch No. 1

Agree completely.

I'll never put the blame for transfer activity on Jol because he has little involvement in negotiations. However his fundamental job, as you said, is to manage the squad he has got. I've seen no real desire to change tactics or even significantly experiment with them given that's what pre-season is for.

I know Jol has a philosophy that wants the squad to adopt but sometimes players just aren't suited to certain styles. There is no reason I can see as to why we can't have a few different approaches to games. For Jol to have any real success here he needs players suited to how he wants to play because clearly he can't mould it from what he's got.

LBNo11

Quote from: zander on August 11, 2013, 02:45:51 PM

Stek - Dutch No. 1

Agree completely.

I'll never put the blame for transfer activity on Jol because he has little involvement in negotiations. However his fundamental job, as you said, is to manage the squad he has got. I've seen no real desire to change tactics or even significantly experiment with them given that's what pre-season is for.

I know Jol has a philosophy that wants the squad to adopt but sometimes players just aren't suited to certain styles. There is no reason I can see as to why we can't have a few different approaches to games. For Jol to have any real success here he needs players suited to how he wants to play because clearly he can't mould it from what he's got.

...Alex, Zander the great replies, agree totally...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

valdeingruo

One the Dem's money. I dont think that was ever ours to play with. I assume MAF used that money to help write everything off. However good points are made else where
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

RidgeRider

Quote from: General on August 11, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Stek - Dutch No. 1

This has been my basic argument for why I feel our manager is not getting it done. Maybe there is more going on behind the scenes than I understand that is making his job more difficult. But Hodgson had less talent than we have now and did so much more in terms of results.

EJL

Stek - Dutch No. 1

Never thought about this.

Hodgson may not have preached the most 'exciting' style of football (although that never occurred to me at the time), but he knew his players strengths, he knew how to get the team to play to them, and he knew how to compensate for their weaknesses.

EJL

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 12, 2013, 12:54:52 AM

Stek - Dutch No. 1

This has been my basic argument for why I feel our manager is not getting it done. Maybe there is more going on behind the scenes than I understand that is making his job more difficult. But Hodgson had less talent than we have now and did so much more in terms of results.
A lot of Hodgson's success was based on partnerships: Hughes and Hangeland, Etuhu and Murphy - the perfect spine. Whenever Jol finds a partnership that works well one of the players leaves (Dembele and Diarra, Ruiz and Dempsey), or he breaks it up to accommodate Ruiz and Berbatov, such as separating Dejagah and Riether.