News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NBC Sports Network is running a show which is essentially "the Prem for Dummies"

Started by RidgeRider, August 11, 2013, 04:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btings

Quote from: Holders on August 11, 2013, 05:06:01 PM
Yes, nothing new there. If there's any link to it that we can view, I'd be interested.

Just out of curiosity - how does TV work there with the different time zones? I presume you have local TV stations but the national networks, how do they cope? Say you've got a series that goes out at 8pm - do some people have to see it in the morning or do they show it each 8pm, like rolling repeats throughout the day? Sorry to sound so ignorant, just curious how it works!

Varies by network and content.  Live sports are shown live (ie, here in California I watch do most of my Prem viewing at 7 in the morning), although they are sometimes re-run later in the day or week, depending on what the network is.

For non-sports stuff, the TV networks usually tape delay their stuff so at least East & West coast see an 8pm show "at 8pm".  For example, Saturday Night Live runs live at 11:30pm in New York, and then is run on tape delay 3 hours later on the west coast.  Central tz (eg Chicago, which is one hour behind NYC) usually just watches everything an hour early.  Mountain tz (2 hours off) sort of varies.

The big cable network shows (eg Mad Men, Breaking Bad) often just re-run the new episodes a few times during the night to hit the major time zones.  Like, if Breaking Bad airs at 9 (and I have a DVR, so I'm not really sure when it's actually on), I could watch it "live" at 6 along with the east coast, or watch the re-run at 9.

Rolling re-runs also help.

RidgeRider

Now a countdown show to the Premier league is on.....Rebecca Lowe the host with Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe as analysts

Well if anything, NBC is creating a lot of new jobs for you Brits! ;)

PaulUMD

I thought the show was fun and light-hearted.  Of course it wasn't aimed at Yanks who are already fans and was dumbed down for people who may have a passing interest in the Prem. 

Denver Fulham

The show wasn't for us.

The fact that a major U.S. media company is using multiple platforms to promote an overseas league ahead of showing every match live for free on TV and digital platforms is unreal for those of us here in the States. Pretty much mindblowing after years of finding online streams and then pay channels and premium digital subscriptions and whatnot.

I'm not going to get worked up over a stupid studio show that was targeting newbies in a silly way.

Logicalman

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 11, 2013, 07:50:44 PM
The show wasn't for us.

The fact that a major U.S. media company is using multiple platforms to promote an overseas league ahead of showing every match live for free on TV and digital platforms is unreal for those of us here in the States. Pretty much mindblowing after years of finding online streams and then pay channels and premium digital subscriptions and whatnot.

I'm not going to get worked up over a stupid studio show that was targeting newbies in a silly way.

The show was simply to provide some advertising to get people in the know and watch NBC for EPL rather than looking to the Fox Sports channels. Great idea to cement the expenditure they have already laid out on obtaining the rights to the games, and being shown for free? That is a BIG black eye for Fox, and shows just how much Fox have been fleecing the US population over the years (should we be surprised - all owned by Murdoch).

btings

Agree with what others have said.  NBC is putting real effort into trying to grow the viewing base in the US (which they need to, to justify their investment.  America!).

I don't mind the fact that they ignore Fulham.  I like the fact that the club is a little obscure over here.  I saw a guy in a FFC hat in Logan airport (Boston) yesterday, and it felt like discovering I had another sibling.

rusty shackleford

btings

Quote from: rusty shackleford on August 11, 2013, 10:00:37 PM
Is nbc showing every prem game live this year?

In some form, yes, although some will be as online streams.  Some are on the main NBC, some are on NBC Sports (NBCSN, on cable), a couple on CNBC, etc.  The rest will be streamed.  Here's the schedule they released a couple weeks ago for the first couple months of the season:
  http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/premier-league-tv-schedule-for-nbc-sports-group-released/

Fulham doesn't have a game on main NBC through November, although we have plenty on NBCSN.

First State

Near the end of the broadcast, Fulham were highlighted as a relegation candidate. Not the publicity I was looking for.

JHunter_Fulham4Life

Quote from: PaulUMD on August 11, 2013, 07:22:04 PM
I thought the show was fun and light-hearted.  Of course it wasn't aimed at Yanks who are already fans and was dumbed down for people who may have a passing interest in the Prem. 

They kinda-sorta did the same thing when F1 came over to NBCSN. At least they hired good people for that. Not sure about this host -- reminds me too much of the showgirls BEIN Sport uses. (Sky may be the anti-Christ, but you can tell the women they feature have a few brain cells to rub together.) Mustoe and Earle aren't bad as talking heads, but Fox Soccer's still got the best studio crew. What I want to see is if they use the Brit announcers or they try to put their own announcers over the feed, like BEIN Sport does with Serie A and Ligue 1.