watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Everton beat real betis 2-1

Started by General, August 11, 2013, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

I know a wins a win but we did have the ball in the net a couple other times which were disallowed... Everton haven't seen any major outgoings from what was a solid and competitive side last season... Can we take heart from being around the same level as them going into the new season?

Obviously Martinez is there instead of motes which may be misleading but all teams ee played in preseason are solid top ten sides in their respective leagues... Perhaps all things considered were not doing too badly.

Werder were ahead of us in their preseason when we played them.. Parma is the only real game where we've seemingly been uninspired whore the weakest of theeuropean sides we've played but even then I don't think we played our strongest side (no amorebieta) and conceded both goals after we ad made a raft of changes to the team..

Deanothefulhamfan

Clutching at straws but hey you have to get optimism from somewhere....

Lets hope your theory is correct and we a get some sort of positive result on saturdsy

TheManOnTheBus

Admin

We can look at it which ever way we chose to. They beat them, we lost to them, but they easily beat who ever, blah, blah.

Obviously it all starts as of next weekend, but from what I've seem of us in pre-season so far, I really am not convinced.

I even said last year that we'd struggle, based on what I watched up at a friendly against Wycombe Wanderers. Even then, we still had Dembele' in the side but we just looked poor, had no creativity or togetherness as a side.

This season doesn't seem to be much better, god I hate being negative, really I do, but I know enough about football to say that we have still not rectified last years problems and if they are not sorted quickly, we will struggle with that team.

I'm expecting a busy week this week after witnessing that Parma performance, and if we FAIL to add to the squad for what ever reason, something isn't quite right behind the scenes.      

Count Berbatov

Well some of us were disappointed but not overly worried. Sorry to mention Man Utd, but we've been crap all pre season long. Chelsea got the worst pre season the year they won with Ancheloti. Pre season is pre season. The mindset is different
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

JBH

Pre season for christ sake results mean diddly squat  :bump:

alexbishop

Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

JackyFulham90

The real business is next week pre season means very little

Lighthouse

It is not the results but the performances that are worrying because the same problems of last year are still there. So can we stop pretending the friendly games mean nothing. We play as we did last season and have made no progress. That is what they have taught us.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Admin

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 11, 2013, 08:55:13 PM
It is not the results but the performances that are worrying because the same problems of last year are still there. So can we stop pretending the friendly games mean nothing. We play as we did last season and have made no progress. That is what they have taught us.

I wanted to type something along these lines thanks, but I'm starting to get fed up of trying to get the point across.

We need to sign at least 3 player before the start of the season, 2 minimum being a striker and creative midfielder. Realistically, these should have been our main priority at the start, not a goalkeeper and another defensive midfielder. 

We're running out of time, we've got a week until the business end starts, we still got the same problems as last season, if not recified quickly, we're in for another poor season.

HURRY THE BLOODY HELL UP AND SPEND SOME GOD DAMN MONEY ON PLAYERS THIS CLUB NEEDS. MR MACKINTOSH, PENNY PINCHING TO EARN BROWNY POINTS AT THIS STAGE OF THE SEASON IS NOT GOING TO GAIN YOU MANY ADMIRERS. IF ANYTHING, YOU WILL MAKE YOURSELF AND MARTIN JOL RESPONSIBLE IF THIS ALL GOES BELLY UP.

rusty shackleford

It doesnt feel like a new season at all. Feels like the summer has been a mid season break and next week we will be back to what we were last year. None of the problems have been addressed. We are in for a tough year unless there is some big changes in the next couple of weeks, and since we've had like 2 years to address the issues and havent i cant see it happening now either.

ScalleysDad

I don't want to do this in block capitals but if the Club are not going to invest in players then at least do something with the back up team and make more of what we have. Okay on the science side we might be fine but just looking at the subs being put their paces made me wonder why I had bothered. Never, never, never do I want to see such a lazy effort again. Yes it was a friendly fixture but the players still needed to be tuned in and made match ready. Karagounis had to retrieve the ball countless times when even a laxidasical passing drill went tits up as passes to the players went all over the place and only very occasionally to feet. What exactly did that little exercise prove? The players were due to play in a competitive match not be ball boys. Coaches and training set the tone and as the oldest saying in the coaching manual says ......fail to prepare prepare to fail

Count Berbatov

I agree with one thing. You need investments. Otherwise you'll be a midtable fearing relegation club forever. Changing the manager won't help either
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

alfie

Quote from: Admin on August 11, 2013, 09:14:02 PM

I wanted to type something along these lines thanks, but I'm starting to get fed up of trying to get the point across.

We need to sign at least 3 player before the start of the season, 2 minimum being a striker and creative midfielder. Realistically, these should have been our main priority at the start, not a goalkeeper and another defensive midfielder. 

We're running out of time, we've got a week until the business end starts, we still got the same problems as last season, if not recified quickly, we're in for another poor season.

HURRY THE BLOODY HELL UP AND SPEND SOME GOD DAMN MONEY ON PLAYERS THIS CLUB NEEDS. MR MACKINTOSH, PENNY PINCHING TO EARN BROWNY POINTS AT THIS STAGE OF THE SEASON IS NOT GOING TO GAIN YOU MANY ADMIRERS. IF ANYTHING, YOU WILL MAKE YOURSELF AND MARTIN JOL RESPONSIBLE IF THIS ALL GOES BELLY UP.

Mr Admin, don't keep trying to get your point across, you have made it adequately, some people like myself will read and understand, not always agreeging with everything, others will totally ignore, those that have blind faith in MJ and those that want him gone, will never change their views or listen to others point of view. If the club are not putting up the money then we cannot blame Jol, if they are and Jol cannot find a suitable player then we can. It has been said time and time again that it is not Jol who negotiates with players/agents and it must be just as frustrating for him when he does not get someone that he wanted in.
Anyway thats my view.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Arthur

The transfer window still has three weeks to run. While Darren Bent is someone in whom we're interested, the delay with regard to his purchase is, in my opinion, most likely an indication that we are aiming to acquire a better player.

It may be that we're holding on until the final week of the transfer window, anticipating that such a player's fee will be drastically reduced; it may be that the player's Club will not do business until it has signed a replacement; it may even be that the player we're after is procrastinating - wondering whether a 'better' club will want him.

If so, it represents a gamble. If we fail to secure a more ambitious target and resort to bringing in Bent just before the window closes, many supporters will be critical of the fact that he didn't arrive sooner. Possibly worse still, Bent may have gone to another club.

Nevertheless, criticism of the CEO and/or manager for seemingly failing to identify sooner the players they want should be tempered by the apparent fact that, when Kahn took over, one list of purchases - including Sako and Alexe - was torn up and another - seemingly containing more illustrious names such as Osvaldo and Gargano - was pulled out from the back of the filing cabinet. Yet, I imagine, with the same edict from the top: to only pay a 'fair' price.

No one is in any doubt that we need two-or-three more players. However, if they don't arrive this week, it isn't necessarily the case that the Club is either too complacent or too miserly. Because the Club's transfer strategy is not public knowledge, it's more difficult not to become frustrated. All the same, we may have to wait until the end of the transfer window before we can pass judgment.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Admin on August 11, 2013, 09:14:02 PM

This breaks the guidelines for both swearing and use of CAPITALS.

I imagine everyone knows your and Lighthouse's views on Fulham, Jol and Mackintosh. No need to keep repeating it in every thread.

Everyone, including Jol, is in agreement that we need a goalscorer and to strengthen midfield.

Having a temper tantrum ins't going to make anything happen.

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: Arthur on August 12, 2013, 09:49:59 AM
The transfer window still has three weeks to run. While Darren Bent is someone in whom we're interested, the delay with regard to his purchase is, in my opinion, most likely an indication that we are aiming to acquire a better player.

It may be that we're holding on until the final week of the transfer window, anticipating that such a player's fee will be drastically reduced; it may be that the player's Club will not do business until it has signed a replacement; it may even be that the player we're after is procrastinating - wondering whether a 'better' club will want him.

If so, it represents a gamble. If we fail to secure a more ambitious target and resort to bringing in Bent just before the window closes, many supporters will be critical of the fact that he didn't arrive sooner. Possibly worse still, Bent may have gone to another club.

Nevertheless, criticism of the CEO and/or manager for seemingly failing to identify sooner the players they want should be tempered by the apparent fact that, when Kahn took over, one list of purchases - including Sako and Alexe - was torn up and another - seemingly containing more illustrious names such as Osvaldo and Gargano - was pulled out from the back of the filing cabinet. Yet, I imagine, with the same edict from the top: to only pay a 'fair' price.

No one is in any doubt that we need two-or-three more players. However, if they don't arrive this week, it isn't necessarily the case that the Club is either too complacent or too miserly. Because the Club's transfer strategy is not public knowledge, it's more difficult not to become frustrated. All the same, we may have to wait until the end of the transfer window before we can pass judgment.

This is really, really good. You ought to put this is an article somewhere.

Bryanthebroom

I was at the Everton Game. One goal was a horrendous mistake by the Betis goalkeeper and one came about from a defensive mistake by Betis. I think Everton had something like 2 shots to Betis' 9 - so it was clear who was the Better side on the day.

Everton just got lucky and I'm sure their fans would tell you the same.

Arthur

Quote from: BenjyUK on August 12, 2013, 10:12:29 AM
You ought to put this is an article somewhere.

Thank you for saying so, but I'm content for it to be here. (I see now that I used 'seemingly' twice in the penultimate paragraph: one reason why I wouldn't make a journalist.)