watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Controversial Opinions at FOF The return of The Scapegoat

Started by Chutney, August 12, 2013, 08:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chutney

Just re-watched the parma game and I am confused as to how people have come away with the conclusions that ruiz is the problem and that boateng looked good.

Boateng is without doubt fantastic at reading the game and breaking up play but he lost possession far too easily and was caught on the ball due to his poor first touch on several occasions. He reminds me of a more mobile Etuhu, with better passing ability. But the praise he is getting seems slightly farfetched and may be down to the fact people are so determined that new signings have to play. I am not saying he played badly, he did his job which is to defend, but he wasn't a world beater by any stretch of the imagination.

The Ruiz bashing is back for another season, and I still don't understand it, he is being played in a free role just behind berbatov and is charged with running the creativity of the team, at times single handedly. He has the hardest job in the team and the stick he's getting is ridiculous. Every attack of note was started by or involved ruiz. Much of his good work goes unnoticed.

I am confused about many of the opinions on this board, and even more confused at the amount of people agreeing with them. Opinions are what they are and I guess this is mine but I just don't understand. Is Ruiz being used as a scapegoat? Furthermore, I am sure Boateng will only improve as he blends with the team, but his constant praise is just an example.

C O Y W

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jack Fulham

Ruiz isn't the problem. Playing Ruiz and Berbatov together seems to be a problem.

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 12, 2013, 08:26:28 PM
Ruiz isn't the problem. Playing Ruiz and Berbatov together seems to be a problem.

It just isn't though.

The 'problem' is that we need a 3rd attacker alongside them - a player of pace and clinical finishing that can work off the vision, technique and class of Ruiz and Berbatov.

Yeah, Ruiz is the attacking scapegoat. He receives the ball probably the most of any player in the team, and thus probably loses it most. The latter part is recognised, the former not so much.

Thought Boateng was good though.

Patrick

Spot on about Boateng....performances like Saturday could cost us many points/goals in the coming season.....we need someone more assured/calm in that position...

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Watching Boateng on Saturday was the real worry for me
The guy is a defensive mid with no core strength,  he got pushed off the ball more times than was decent.
I was expecting better ......................

And  on the subject of scapegoats I would bet   van Persie  would look very ordinary if he got the supply  
Rodders got .................... it was only scraps

Alan

Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 12, 2013, 08:26:28 PM

I've got to disagree. In my opinion, it's not playing Ruiz & Berba up top together, it's the lack of a ball player in the midfield...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

Lighthouse

If you had the greatest midfielder in the world, he couldn't pass to nothing. Berbatov is too slow as a loan forward and Ruiz too deep. We need a forward as well as a midfielder who can actually pass the ball.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Alan

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 12, 2013, 08:58:31 PM
If you had the greatest midfielder in the world, he couldn't pass to nothing. Berbatov is too slow as a loan forward and Ruiz too deep. We need a forward as well as a midfielder who can actually pass the ball.

But I don't think Ruiz would drop so deep if we had someone in the midfield that could play. Again, just my opinion...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

DevonFFC

Berba is a class act but he needs class around him. He needs to be fed constantly and needs to be found and not have to go looking to receive the ball. It's not something we are used to.

Ruiz is technically sound and again needs to be in a team with players moving around him to create space for him as to allow him to do his thing. I think the whole team needs a complete Re shape as we have too many players are not able to adapt to this new style that jol is looking to adopt

Barnettski

The problem is, is that Ruiz (in the eyes of some fans) is expected to play in three positions at once, holding midfield, playmaker, and forward, and whenever he has a good game as one of the three (like against Parma, he had a good game) he gets absolutely slaughtered.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: ollienixs on August 12, 2013, 09:38:43 PM
Berba is a class act but he needs class around him. He needs to be fed constantly and needs to be found and not have to go looking to receive the ball. It's not something we are used to.
Ruiz is technically sound and again needs to be in a team with players moving around him to create space for him as to allow him to do his thing. I think the whole team needs a complete Re shape as we have too many players are not able to adapt to this new style that jol is looking to adopt
I don't know what new style Jol is looking to adopt.  I don't see it.  Is it to attack more, to get the ball in the attacking half ASAP?  As to class players needing class around them, I don't agree.  I think quality will out regardless of who is nearby.  Everyone looks better with better people around him.  But a class player shines regardless.  Which puts a big question mark over Bryan Ruiz.  

Chutney

Quote from: Forever Fulham on August 12, 2013, 09:49:21 PM
Quote from: ollienixs on August 12, 2013, 09:38:43 PM
I don't know what new style Jol is looking to adopt.  I don't see it.  Is it to attack more, to get the ball in the attacking half ASAP?  As to class players needing class around them, I don't agree.  I think quality will out regardless of who is nearby.  Everyone looks better with better people around him.  But a class player shines regardless.  Which puts a big question mark over Bryan Ruiz. 

Does it put a question mark over bryan ruiz? In my opinion he shows his class, but it often goes unnoticed by people that expect every pass he makes to create a goal. His first touch and technique shine game after game.
C O Y W

The Old Count

Spot on about Ruiz Chutney. 

What we need is a striker who can provide pace and movement. An outlet for Ruiz's evident skills. Someone who Berba can flourish with.

Anyone for Bent?

Why can't we just buy the geezer?

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: The Old Count on August 12, 2013, 10:03:22 PM
Spot on about Ruiz Chutney.  

What we need is a striker who can provide pace and movement. An outlet for Ruiz's evident skills. Someone who Berba can flourish with.

Anyone for Bent?

Why can't we just buy the geezer?

We'll either buy him deadline day for the £6m, or he'll be whisked away by Newcastle or similar in about a week for £5m.

He will, we hope (and think, I really do) make the world of difference tactically.

Forever Fulham

With footballers on the team I support, I'll take effective over evident or elegant skills any day. 

Chutney

I completely agree, what I'm saying is that ruiz is effective but doesn't get the praise he deserves for it, often because he doesn't hide from the ball during games like some other players. The team as a whole however, the skills are there, but not being used effectively.
C O Y W

Ordar

Ruiz certainly didn't play well against Parma. Taarabt come on and looked 100x better.

Ruiz needs to learn to play between the lines. Stop dropping so deep, where he more often than not loses the ball. God knows how he played as a wide attacker at Twente as he's terrible wide. Ruiz got 7 assists last season 4 of those were from corners he took. He's not the creative genius that some on here believe.

Fulhampete

More surprising than the criticism of Ruiz is the rush to defend him. He is a gutless player who will never make it in the Premier. Watch him closely when he plays and his shortcomings are obvious. He approaches 50/50 tackles with absolute fear and does everything to avoid them. He can be standing yards from an opponent who is receiving a pass and do nothing to put him under pressure. When put under physical pressure himself he gets rid of the ball as soon as possible, usually to the opposition. His pace, strength and bravery are highly suspect. In short he is no more than a passenger in most games.

General

There's obviously quite a bit wrong with the team... Boateng giving the ball away, Sidwell doing the same, Ruiz being given too much responsibility, berbas lacsidasical approach and playing as a lone front man - you could say its tactics or just personnel or both. Let us be honest here, the only ones who've come out with a good name still are riether and hangeland.. Dejagah still needs more fitness, riise and Richardson are a weak link... We cannot play a 4 2 2 1 1 with the ageing and lazy squad we have... Berba needs to be supported and our midfield, especially in the centre isn't good/reliable enough.. Steklenberg has looked shaky too.