News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why no urgency - do our management (not Jol) want relegation?

Started by Hersham Henry, August 12, 2013, 09:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hersham Henry

WHY THE DELAY? It appears that everyone knows that we need a left back, creative midfielder and a fast proven predatory forward to support Berbatov and actually score 10 plus goals. Most supporters and also Martin Jol have known this for ages, well before the end of last season but our negotiators appear to be either blocking purchases or not being remotely proactive in obtaining players to cover these essential positions.

Why don't we act NOW, albeit very late, before the season starts, even if we have to pay slightly over the odds to sign the players we know we need to keep us in a safe mid table plus side with possibilities of further progress.  If Darren Bent is Jol's preference, just pay the extra £1m and get him integrated quickly into our system - if not go actively to get an alternative striker.

Surely the powers that be can realise that the cost of not acting quickly to allow new players to integrate could result in relegation. This would be far more costly and could even result in a slide down the divisions like Northampton, Sheffield Utd and Wolves to name a few.  Surely with a richer owner there are adequate funds to cover these urgent needs - if not, why on earth did he purchase the club?

There was a good start to the transfer window with Reither and some other promising signings but our deficiencies should be obvious to all. The press are almost making our first match with Sunderland a relegation 6 pointer with predictions of 15th to 18th in the league. Their forecasts are difficult to argue against with the proactive dealings by our near rivals have made but this could easily be corrected with the three quality signings that everyone knows are needed - and URGENTLY.

Having Berbatov, Ruiz and Taarabt is a luxury that we cannot afford at our level and Berbatov and Taarabt will be gone at the end of the season unless hopefully we have an option on Taarabt - does anyone know for certain? We therefore need to keep Ruiz and work out a system whereby he contributes the maximum to the team as he is a class player and part of our future but has not been utilised to his full potential. He will probably still be with us when the others have gone.

I have been a Fulham supporter since our 4-5 defeat against Newcastle in the FA Cup in 1954 and was a regular at the Cottage in the 1960's in the Haynes, Jezzard, Robson, Cohen, Langley, Leggat era and saw the 10-1 thrashing of Ipswich in 1963 and our Cup Final. Unfortunately for family reasons I cannot often go to matches nowadays and often rely on Sky but Fulham is in my blood and will always be.

Come on Fulham, show that you mean business and still hope to be a force in the game and secure these obvious players NOW that we all know we urgently need.

Matt Inglis

I do think that we desperately need a new midfielder and if we do not sign someone other than Taarabt on a permanent deal I will be very confused.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

JBH

So basically you want ffc to panic buy for the sake of it rather than get the right players in?

Sorry but that would be stupid so have a bit of patience and let the club make the decisions on who they want to sign and what they want to pay for their targets afterall we really don't have a clue what is going on with transfers at fulham and we never do until the player is signed and sealed.

Artful Dodger

It's about the only thing that everyone seems to agree on! Come on 'management', get a move on and close some deals out....
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

kiwiwaka

We don't know whats going on behind the scenes - could be some big moves coming. We're generally very quiet until it's pretty much finalised. Even then, medicals take a couple of days on top of that. We're only 2 players short - 3 with one behind a squad/backup player.

I'd much rather it take a little bit longer than pay over the odds and panic buy. As well as not spending £8-12m on every player possible.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: JBH on August 12, 2013, 10:04:48 PM
So basically you want ffc to panic buy for the sake of it rather than get the right players in?

Sorry but that would be stupid so have a bit of patience snd let the club make the decisions on who they wang to sign and what they want to pay for their targets afterall we really don't have a clue what is going on with transfers at fulham and we never do until the player is signed and sealed.
I don't think anyone is suggesting panic buys but if we have identified someone, don't argue about £1m here or there which is peanuts in today's football world and just get the guy in. The rumours over Bent for example have been going on for about 3 months and what are the odds we sign him on 31st August??

I accept we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but lots of other clubs seem to be doing a lot of business whilst we wait on the sidelines for a better deal or something!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

OHfulhamfan

I have a one word answer to your question, no.

Kahn didn't buy this club to have a Championship side. I think promotion and relegation scares the crap out of American owners who aren't used to it. I suspect if more Americans buy clubs, there will be a push to end it and have playoffs and divisions like in MLS.

grandad

I totally agree with HH. The Board must back Jol & get the players we need. Khan has said he wants to take us to the next level so do it.The window has a couple of weeks to go but the season starts on Saturday. We should by now have a starting team but Jol has no idea who will be added. I really feel sorry for Jol.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Beamer

How do you know there is no urgency, given the statements about what Jol thinks we need I would suspect that there is lots going on behind the scenes but have no way of knowing (nor should I).
Chill, wait and see - you may be disappointed but at least you won't have spent a couple of weeks worrying about it. Plenty of worrying time during the season.

StuFFC

Shad should sack AM and the others who are dragging their arses!!! I said this before about the board or micro managers. If they take this long trying to sign players imagine how long these fools take to choose their shirt to wear in the morning??

hongkongfulham

I think its best to reserve judgement until when the window is closed. It would be great to sign people early and get them in for preseason but if we are waiting for the right deals at the right price then so be it. If we haven't made the moves come September then we all have the right to be pretty livid. I agree though, my patience is running thin!

Big Martin Jol

I don't mind waiting until the very last day of the window if it means that the club get the right player and the right deal. What do we miss? Three games. I know every match is important, but there are thirty-five more to reap the rewards.

We're not a big-spending club and we have to give the management the time to use their resources in a way which will benefit us most in the long term as opposed to next Saturday.

Having said that, if we're in exactly the same situation on 3rd September then we'll be justified in feeling extremely put out.

Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

HatterDon

Sorry but that would be stupid so have a bit of patience snd let the club make the decisions on who they wang to sign and what they want to pay for their targets afterall we really don't have a clue what is going on with transfers at fulham and we never do until the player is signed and sealed.

Call a new poster "stupid" in his first contribution. Nice. Stay classy, Mr. Hairnet.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Welcome to the board HH!

Don't mind some of the natives. A couple of them are easily irritated and don't understand the rules of this board still......

General

I would be very surprised if shad coughed up any sort of money to allow us to get the players we wanted - I just don't see his interest in our club to be that genuine and I'm not sure he's willing to invest the type of money he is on the jaguars on us.. I think he thinks he's getting away with owning a premiership club with little responsibility of actually having to invest much because of the way we worked under al fayed... The reality though is fayed was a fulham supporter and a businessman... Shads is a businessman and not a fulham fan. His interest in us to succeed is purely for the jaguars interest, but we don't even know if his interest stems for long enough to care about even our short term future.

You're all thinking it... There's been very little genuine change or input from our owner - he's taking a lot of you for a ride if you think any differently.. I get the impression in your heart of hearts though it may be true.

I'm also wondering what happened to the dembele and Dempsey money...?

It's clear shads isn't managing the club well already and if anything I think there's a lack of communication at the top end of the club now al fayed has left and a lack of leadership - honest football men have been replaced by NFL stalwarts whore focuse on the business.

I don't think shads realised how much of a direction and clarity of job spec etc al fayed gave the club and those in charge and it clearly shows with Jols erratic attitude to one day being extremely confident of the high quality of player that wants to join and then getting frustrated at the time it's taking to bring in these players he says want to play for us. He's obviously clear in who he wants and knows we're in talks with players who want to come so something above him is messing us around.. Welcome to our new ownership.

Shads clearly had little plan for the club before buying it.

General

Quote from: StuFFC on August 13, 2013, 01:17:08 AM
Shad should sack AM and the others who are dragging their arses!!! I said this before about the board or micro managers. If they take this long trying to sign players imagine how long these fools take to choose their shirt to wear in the morning??

What sack the same guys who under maf signed steklenberg, amorebieta, riether and boateng before most clubs had even signed anyone. Get a hold of yourself.. It's the ownership change that's put us in this situation.

JBH

Quote from: HatterDon on August 13, 2013, 03:06:26 AM

Call a new poster "stupid" in his first contribution. Nice. Stay classy, Mr. Hairnet.

If you read the post  properly Hatter  it says "that would be stupid" not he is stupid

ScalleysDad

Well it would seem many of the people in the stands, many pundits, Jol himself and now the Captain, see Tuesday Fulham stuff, all agree there have been some iffey performances recently so surely a match ready midfielder or a goal hungry striker are about to be unveiled ........ any minute now .................................. ...........................  now   ................................................................ just a minute more ........................... ............. now ............ ................. ............. bugger

Welcome aboard HH. Good read.

Lighthouse

Welcome HH. I believe when Jol said we will hear something next week he meant it. Trouble is that was a week and a half ago. That is what is worrying. I truly believe Fulham are still trying to do things on the cheap and that will damage us. There is a difference between silly spending and not spending on more than loans and 36 year olds.

It is too late to bring in players who will be fit for the new season unless we buy a player who is actually training and playing. But we know those are not the players we are being linked with. A great concern because of what happened this time last season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jack Fulham

I feel like we're waiting to pick up some cheaper deals towards the end of the window. I'm sure Villa won't want Bent on there wage bill this season.