more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (13/08/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 13, 2013, 04:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Werder confirm Cottage ace interest

Werder Bremen have confirmed their interest in John Arne Riise after he revealed that he is set to leave Fulham on a free transfer.

The 32-year-old Norway international and former Liverpool full-back has spent two years at Craven Cottage and made 75 appearances following his switch from Italian Serie A outfit AS Roma. Riise still has a year remaining on his Cottagers contract but he confirmed over the weekend that boss Martin Jol will allow him to leave on a free if a club comes in for him before the transfer window closes on September 2. And German Bundesliga outfit Werder Bremen's sporting director Thomas Eichin has now revealed that they are keen to take him to bolster boss Robin Dutt's squad for the new campaign. Eichin told Sky: "I'm talking with many agents and we're checking the market. Riise is certainly an interesting player and I have always said that we are looking for the left-back position. "There has been a discussion, but that does not mean anything yet."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/werder-confirm-cottage-ace-interest-1616046.html?

WhiteJC

The random thoughts of a Fulham man:

The following are a collection of random thoughts by myself, and while I do not like to use the first person medium when I write, it will be used this time because these are my own somewhat biased feelings about Fulham at the current time (12 August at the time of writing)
As I have stated before, this summer and now this season is huge for the progress of Fulham Football Club on multiple different levels.
First, this is Martin's last year under contract. Along with this it is a big year for him and the entire back room staff, for this season they will not only be under the microscope of the fans, but that of the new owner as well. As witnessed in Jacksonville Mr. Khan is not afraid to pull the trigger so to speak and relive many key members of the staff after a bad season.

Financial prudence will continue with the arrival of Mr. Khan. Our mustachioed new chairman has mentioned this in many interviews. What does this mean for Fulham? It really is too early to tell at this current time. What it means to me is that Fulham will continue on the path it currently has. That means funding the new stand and only purchasing the right player at the right time (sound familiar?) This could mean a loan like Taarabt or the splashing of a 5-10 million player that only just came available. I feel that the money we received for Dembele and Dempsey went to write off our debt and to the Riverside development. It was never ours to spend.
The takeover will increase the American contingent at least by a few due to the Jacksonville connection as the same will occur the other way. However I don't think it will have a profound increase in our numbers as most will just watch out for scores or highlights. This isn't to say we won't gain a few more passionate supporters who just needed a quality club to follow.

Jol has said the budget is good and he has demonstrated that he can get a good player in Berbatov. (Whatever faults people think he has, you cannot doubt his skill) This also means the supporters will be frustrated for the rest of the summer because Fulham likes to keep its cards to the chest. While this is not the most exciting for the supporters, it is very good business practice for a Club of Fulham' s stature. This ensures that we get the player we want for a decent price.
Jol has to improve his man management. He is a good manager; you can see that he has done well at previous Clubs. However, this is arguably the best squad that has collectively pulled on the Fulham shirt for a long time. Recognize the squad's strengths and its weaknesses and accommodate the formation to suit it. Too many times last season a squad was announced and a supporter pessimistically watched the match, knowing that this was the same line up that struggled to get a point or lost the previous match. A change was made often too late, usually in the last 5-10 minutes, not enough time to effectively change the outcome. When the squad fires on all cylinders it is a beautiful site, however to continue the auto reference when not all cylinders are firing it is a cringe worthy experience that you can't help but morbidly watch.

Jol has mentioned for almost a full year now the loss of Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele. Has this gotten annoying? Yes it has frankly. However this may be a public plea to those that work above him. I can only provide a theory as I do not know the inner workings of the club, but it seems to me that this is what it is. It may just be him saying "Look, we lost these players, we haven't replaced them and we need to and it's not happening, please let me sign who we need" I really can't see any other reason behind it than this. I don't know any other manager that consistently mentions former players at this rate without a reason. Maybe I am wrong though and it's just that.
We need a fighter in the squad, someone who will not only give his all but someone who will get in the squad's faces for not giving an effort. Currently our squad consists of a brilliant footballer whose means of voicing displeasure is to raise his hands, a player while gifted in midfield acts as if he is hit by a sniper's bullet and any contact, a very solid defender in the role of Captain who is not the ideal on field leader (Trust me I don't like talking bad about Hangeland, he is my current favorite first teamer)We also have some solid engines in Reither, Sidwell and Boateng. We have really missed Murphy and never replaced the quality he brought to the squad as Captain. I do not think he would have helped our squad in ability if he had stayed to play, but his mentality on the field was great. What would be ideal would be a local lad to come in and provide that to our team, however that is years off and the next best thing is an academy graduate to come in and fill that role. While I am not saying that it is wise for that graduate to come in and start bossing everyone around, he should learn, gain his respect from the first team and gradually assume this mantel.

The kits this year are decent to say the least. The sponsor and crest seem to be in the proper place and the fit is better this year as opposed to Kappa. I look forward to not having to have my wife peel me out of my shirt after 5 a side. While I did not like the home shirt at first, it is growing on me and I may consider purchasing it at some point. I figured it would be a template kit and I was correct in this regard as it was unveiled. The away shirt looks class and it was based off a kit that has some very good memories attached to it so I give a plus one to that. They aren't bad but they aren't stellar. The good thing though is they do not look anything like the experiment Warrior did with Liverpool's kit.

In regards to actual transfers this window will show us what to expect in the long run for Fulham Football Club. We have already secured some very good players. We have already seen our new signings in action and they look good. Some have indeed had some moments where you cringe but that is to be somewhat expected during preseason. In my opinion we need another striker, if not to compliment Berbatov, to be back up in case of injury. With Trotta and Hugo the only other recognized forwards in the squad, it would be mental to let the window close without another on the books. We also need another central midfielder, while this player will not be the sole answer to our midfield issues a creative player in the center of the park, it will go a long way in helping the forwards stay forward. At left back your guess is as good as mine. Recent comments from Riise indicate a departure leaving us with Richardson and Briggs. If Richardson can stay fit it will not be an issue that is a big if though. This is Briggs do or dies year in my opinion as well. At right back Hughes is decent cover, it would be nice to bring in another, though this seems to be a low priority.

As in every year we need to get behind the team, no matter what. Yes it may be hard if the squad is having a slow start and things look like nothing has changed over the close season, however the so called 12th man can have an impact. Here is to hoping The Cottage Fortress returns this season. Also it blows my mind that some can automatically judge a player from where they used to play. If you came to work from another company and you were judged just because you used to work somewhere else, you would think it's a bit unfair wouldn't you? A good reception could mean the difference from the player staying or leaving at the end of the season. I'm not just mentioning Taarabt in this sense as we have had many players past and present make the move from rival clubs. They wear the White and that is good enough reason for me to support them, my judgment of a player comes from their performance, not their history.

I think once again we will be close to the top of the fair play charts. This is even with Boateng and Amorebieta coming with a history of cards. It seems that there is something in the water at the Cottage that allows players with said history to stop being as critical in the tackle, though it could be the coaching. It's probably the coaching.

My players to watch this season:

Steve Sidwell: While his reputation was tarnished at the red cards at the end of the season he was arguably our best central midfielder last term. This could be due to the fact that Diarra was out injured, however he seems to be the only player we have at the moment to put the ball in the net from midfield.

Brede Hangeland: Will one part of our center half pairing continue to be a rock in the back or will he continue his post Sunderland form. It was quite obvious that he wasn't the same after the Sunderland red, however his form returned towards the end of last season and that was a good sign. It is a new slate and I think it will be a good season for him.

ReJagah or Deither: depending on how you look at it. These two players were crucial to our attacking phase of play during the bulk of last campaign. When Dejagah went down at QPR we seemed to be deflated.

Whoever plays on the left: I say this because it seems to be our week side. There were many different combinations during last year and I hope it begins to be as productive as our right. Kacaniklic is still learning and he needs solid cover behind him. This could be Briggs, Riise or Richardson. The same goes for our other wide players.

Taarabt, Ruiz (also on the right) and Duff could all be rotated into this position, and while I am all for squad competition it is nice to know you have a solid pairing instead of wondering who it will be this week.

Our central midfield pairing: This also was a combination that was played around with, multiple players filled in disrupting our flow of play. If a creative player can be teamed up with Boateng, this could be very promising news.

Stekelenburg: Simple really, it is his first season in the Premiership. How will he cope after limited playing time after last season. I am not too worried though, you don't start a World Cup final for the Netherlands if you aren't good. With David Stockdale vowing to give him competition for the number one shirt, it could be very exciting times for our Keeper department.

Berbatov: As usual we will rely on him for goals, hopefully we can give him the service he needs. If that can be provided he will do well.

Gentleman Jim: With my current location being Afghanistan I am going to rely on his oratory genius to bring the matches to life as only he can. Some may consider him plan B if their stream does not work, but he is always preferred in my view to a jumpy Spanish commentary.

Preseason while good for fitness and testing different combinations, not too much store should be taken. Hopefully we perform like we did in Costa Rica, rather than the last 3 matches.

Opening day is going to be a good barometer, at least for how we may play away. Di Canio has brought in a lot of players of various qualities which could be good or bad for them. Yes they are playing at home on opening day, with both manager and squad having something to prove, however as QPR fatally demonstrated, if the squad does not gel it will be a long season. If we are to go there and pressure them we can come away with at least a point. The key is to not sit on a lead if we take one and let them into the game, or just go there aiming for a point. The previous was a good strategy for Roy's squad, I have nothing against it either. Roy provided me and the rest of the supporters with many, many happy memories. However with the quality of player we have, this should not be our strategy, especially with another club of a similar stature.
The first five matches or so will also be a good gauge, this a time where we can still bring in players  and while I won't be happy if our style of play has not improved in the league since last term during this time, if it brings about a change in the playing staff I will accept it in the long run. After all I would rather have an Everton style slow start than the Fulham collapse of last year.

Relegation has been brought up this year by supporters and pundits alike, and while I realize that no club is too big for relegation I don't see it likely this year. The quality of the clubs that came up this year in my opinion won't be enough to stay up. While the teams around us have brought in some quality I just don't see the promoted clubs making a huge impact like those who have come up in previous years I.e. Southampton and Swansea.
With NBC buying the rights to show the Premier League this is good news for American supporters such as myself, however they were a bit gimmicky in regards to how to get new followers. I can understand the reasoning behind it, they could have done better. Our segment included the usual comment about the Michael Jackson Statue and some story about a boat. It wouldn't have taken much to ask the club or even a supporter for a brief synopsis that describes the club and what makes it unique. I just feel for the other clubs that got less time than us. I really can't see our American numbers swelling due to this coverage, the Jacksonville takeover had more of an impact in regards to that. Most Americans that pick a club due to NBC will more than likely gravitate towards a top four side.

In conclusion, if you have continued to read over 2,566  words in to this, I salute you. You must be pretty bored to trudge on reading four pages. As always I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. Come on you Whites.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=372

WhiteJC

Premier League Preview: Fulham

This is the 7th instalment of Gabriel Sutton and Kyle Norbury's Premier league Preview. You can let us know what you think by pinging a tweet to Gabriel @_thescore or Kyle @usernameofkyle. Enjoy.

World Cup Country Simile

As a team that produces stars, yet not consistently enough to compete at the top-level, Fulham draw parallels with Croatia. Fulham, like Croatia, are the outsiders with some young talents supplementing many experienced first-team professionals, playing a style based on a flowing passing style over pace and power.

The squad
Anatomy of the Team

The brain- A striking mastermind, Berbatov can't be matched for intellect on the football pitch. His languid style of finesse, flair and audacious vision to pass exquisitely to on-rushing teammates is a joy to behold. We all know that, but it's Berbatov's work for the cause that came on leaps and bounds in his first season away from Old Trafford. Desperate not to lose his place in the Fulham side, the elegant frontman stopped a repeat of what happened at United, where he was secluded from the team for reasons such as a lack of dedication on the pitch. If anyone can play football using deft control at walking pace, Berba can, but he needs to continue to up his tempo, especially during counter-attacks.

The heart- The midfield is packed with passion. Derek Boateng, Damien Duff, Georgios Karagounis and Steve Sidwell are all industrious veterans at the age of 30-plus playing off a pure love of the game. Therefore, there definitely won't be a lack of stealth in the middle of the park, but Fulham might struggle towards the end of games when their stalwarts run out of legs.

The spine- Martin Jol likes to tinker with his midfield, but aside from that, the rest of the side is fairly nailed on. The Holland number 1 Maarten Skelenburg will be the first choice goalkeeper, costing around the region of £4 million from AS Roma. Hangeland and Hughes make-up an ever-green centre-back pairing, with Sascha Riether and John Arne-Riise either side. Up front, there is the cool partnership of Bryan Ruiz and Berbatov, while Hugo Rodallega offers a more lively option from the bench. The foundations are there. There is a positive blend of youth and experience to suggest that Fulham will get into the top ten if their away form improves.

The legs- Kerim Frei is one speedy winger in the Fulham squad, along with Ashkan Dejagah on the opposite flank, who give a different dimension to the otherwise slow Fulham team. It's crucial for one of these wingers to feature every game, for an alternative to the attack.

The feet- Although used sparingly, Kieran Richardson can bamboozle defenders on his day. Once he hits top form, he's a different player, but his inconsistency and mental weaknesses have halted his progress right from word go at Manchester United. He had troubles with Sunderland playing him at left back, so parted company for Fulham, but if he worked harder, he could well have won back his place as the club's winger. Finding it difficult to get first team football, he has yet to benefit from the move to London and you start to wonder whether he's as good as he reckons.

Their Perception

Thomas McIlroy shared his views with the preview team; a Fulham season ticket holder since 1998. He is a 22 year-old, aspiring sports journalist, who you can follow on Twitter @thomasmcilroy.

What are your expectations for the season ahead?

"We're hoping to sneak into Europe. But a good cup run and a top 10 finish would be a successful season."

What are your team's fears?

"We finished last season in really bad form, so relegation is always a fear. Also you never know how it's going to be with a new owner. I don't think we'll sell Berba or Ruiz so selling players isn't as big a fear as last summer with Dempsey and Dembele."

What are your strengths?

"The strengths are in attack- Berbatov and Ruiz could play in the Champions League. Also the club is in a very good financial state thanks to Al Fayed and Khan is twice as rich I think."

What are your weaknesses?

"The main weakness is in central midfield. We're light on numbers there and there's a lack of creativity there. Age is a problem with the squad. We do need to lower the average age."

Who is you one to watch?

"Kacaniklic should have a good season but if Mesca stays fit, he could be a revelation. The most exciting player to come through the youth system for years."

Which of your chants best sums up your current team?

"'Sascha Riether baby, Sascha Riether oh oh' (Human League – Don't You Want Me). Riether sums up Fulham; underrated but quietly efficient."

The Neutral's Perception

Despite being recognised as England's 'nicest' football club, Fulham's away following lets them down.

The Reality

As the Fulham area is one of the most lucrative in London, the posh people who live there just aren't associated with passionate away support. Why would they leave their much more pleasant area? Last season, Fulham had the second-worst away following

Strengths

Particularly with Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz in the team, the one thing they won't lack is attacking flair. They have a lot of quality going forward, and players who can change the game with a moment of quality.

Weaknesses

With an aging squad, they may well struggle for consistency throughout the season, especially from an attacking point of view. In November, they were the third highest scoring team in the Premier League. They only scored 7 goals in their final 8 games. Injuries could also be a problem.

Key Man

Dimitar Berbatov. The Bulgarian has been the fulcrum in Fulham's attacks, and he's scored 15 goals last season, as well as contributing much in build-up play. The lanky Bulgarian is known to dwell on the ball at times, but the slowish tempo he dictates suits the makeup of this Fulham team.

An Optimist Would Say

Al Fayed has done a great job stabilising Fulham in the top flight, but Khan's financial backing will propel the club to the next level. With an old squad, the team is in need of a transition, and better finances will help them through it.

A Pessimist Would Say

Jol has failed to address the age issue this summer, and the squad's average age has still gone up. With the new owners coming in and willing to invest, he's missed an opportunity to add pace and long-term options into the squad. Old players won't improve with age, therefore Fulham can't improve on last season's 12th place finish.

in the league, with just 33,576 fans travelling to games per season, second only to Arsenal.

New Owners

The big news for Fulham is their new owners. Shahid Khan, the owner of automotive company Flex-N-Gate, and American Football Team Jackson Jaguars. His net worth is reportedly over £1.6 billion, and he invests approximately £80 million per year in Jackson Jaguars. If he can invest big money into the club, you would expect Fulham to be a consistent feature in the top half of the table.

The Manager

It's plausible that Martin Jol could start this season as a man under pressure. Sometimes when a new owner comes in, they have a plan to bring in their own manager, and it could be important for Jol's job security that Fulham get off to a good start. Whilst as a player he was never afraid to put a foot in, perhaps his Dutch upbringing has shaped his philosophy at Fulham, bringing in flair players such Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz.

Transfer Activity

It may come as slightly surprising that even though Fulham have the oldest squad in the Premier League, Jol has signed two 30 and one 28-year-old this summer. Then again, one of them is goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg from Roma, who will provide a replacement for the outgoing Mark Schwarzer. Stekelenburg could prove a good signing, he has much experience at the top-level, but he's conceded an average of 1.45 goals per game at Roma which isn't excellent. Another is defensive midfielder Derek Boateng, who has 46 caps for Ghana. This could also be a decent signing, as Fulham's midfield consists mainly of wide-men and industrious midfielders, so someone to break-up play in front of the back four may come in useful. In addition, Jol has signed Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta, who has European experience like Stekelenburg. Although, he may be used to playing at a very high tempo pressing game over the last couple of years under Marcelo Bielsa, which Fulham don't tend to do so much.

Lesson From Last Season

Fulham failed to counter attack quickly, as 30% of action areas in their games were in their own half. No other team in the Premier League spent more time in their own half. Sustaining pressure will be a key factor for Fulham's progress this season.

Kyle's Verdict:  10th With the new owner, Shahid Khan, on board, with more investment and bigger ambitions, Fulham are expected to get back into the top 10. Mark Hughes left the club in January 2011 due to a 'lack of ambition' shown by previous owner, Al Fayed, which was the only thing setting Fulham back, but Khan's cash could pay dividends. Fulham fans will be hoping that Shahid Khan keeps the faith in Martin Jol and doesn't change anything too drastically.

Gabriel's Verdict: 10th They'll finish slap bang in the middle, almost irrespective how the first half of their season pans out. If they get off to a good start, their aging squad won't have the stamina to sustain it. But if they start poorly, it's more than plausible that Shahid Khan will sack Jol, invest big in January, and bring in a new manager, which would freshen the team up. I can't see past mid-table for them.

Odds to be relegated: 6/1

http://the4thofficial.co.uk/2013/08/12/premier-league-preview-fulham/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=premier-league-preview-fulham

WhiteJC

Brede: Potential Is There

Fulham Captain Brede Hangeland believes that his side showed plenty of potential in the defeat to Parma in our last pre-season friendly on Saturday.

The Whites went ahead with a wonder strike from Steve Sidwell, but failed to capitalise and let the Italian outfit back into it as two second half goals condemned us to a 2-1 defeat. However, the Norwegian defender thinks we are on the right track ahead of the Barclays Premier League opener against Sunderland at the weekend.

"We look like a very good team when we get our passing movements going," he told the official website. "But when it doesn't work out then we look a little bit vulnerable and that is something we need to address. The potential is definitely there and we are searching for the right balance a little bit. Hopefully that will come."

After a rigorous pre-season campaign which saw the players depart for a successful tour of Costa Rica, followed by an alpine training camp in Austria and friendly games against Werder Bremen and Real Betis, Brede is pleased that we will be travelling to Sunderland at almost full strength.

"I'm definitely feeling fit and a big positive has been that we've done our pre-season without many of the players picking up injuries," he said. "Apart from Kača, who has a slight hamstring strain, it has been a real credit to the medical team, who I believe are second to none.

"I feel like we have a lot of players who are more or less the same level, so it must be hard for the Manager to pick a team. That's the type of headache that is a good one for him to have though."

Our skipper also believes that ending our pre-season with a defeat is no reason to feel down and thinks the players will be fully focused on their trip to the Stadium of Light.

"I'm sure we will be ready to go," he said. "We have work to do, of course, as we would have liked to have finished on a high with a win, but we weren't able to do that and now we don't need to read too much into it. I think we just need to prepare as best we can, go up to Sunderland and get a good result."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/12/brede-potential-is-there?

WhiteJC

Jol challenges Taarabt to prove himself

Fulham manager Martin Jol has challenged Adel Taarabt to prove he belongs in the Premier League.

The temperamental Moroccan, 24, was signed on a season-long loan from QPR last week and made his Whites debut as a second-half substitute in Saturday's friendly against Parma.

Having been a star of Rangers' promotion season, he struggled to hold down a regular first-team place during their two years in the top flight.

His conduct was a talking point throughout his time with the R's and West London Sport revealed last month that he had been sent home from their pre-season trip to Devon.

He quickly fell out of favour after Harry Redknapp – who sold him to QPR when Tottenham manager – took over at Loftus Road last year.

Taarabt subsequently made it clear he wanted to leave following the club's relegation to the Championship.

And Jol, who was Spurs boss when they signed a teenage Taarabt from Lens in 2007, had no qualms about taking him to Craven Cottage.

"He should not be in the situation he is now," said Jol.

"There are a lot of [good] players in this country and Europe who are in that situation and not playing.

"I always say that for us it is an opportunity to take them when they are 'bad'. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad players – we have to try to get the maximum out of them.

"For us it's not possible to get all these players who are 'good'. Dimitar Berbatov was probably an exception and so was Brede Hangeland.

"With the rest, you have to try to be creative and I think with Adel Taarabt we were very creative.

"A year ago he was probably going to Paris St-Germain for a lot of money.

"They threw him out of the QPR squad and I was happy to take him.

"But I think he has to prove now again that he can do a very good job. He's 24 now and hopefully he will prove to us and to anybody else that he can do a good job.

"We need creativity and that's why I took him. Adel is someone who can score goals and have five or six assists, I hope, at the start of the season."

Taarabt's exclusion from QPR's pre-season campaign means he is one of a number of Fulham's squad who are short of match fitness.

And Jol believes it is vital that the player gets back up to speed as soon as possible.

"He hasn't been included in a QPR team and we have to get him fit, so of course you can't start with him," said Jol.

"To be 100% it would maybe take three or four weeks, but I think we need him before that. I will try to get him into match fitness as soon as possible.

"We've got other players – Derek Boateng played 60 minutes [against Parma] and didn't play for a year and Ashkan Dejagah has come back from injury.

"Anyone we bring in in the next few weeks will be the same [in terms of fitness]. For us it's good we're starting the season, but maybe we could have done with a couple more weeks."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/qpr-matin-jol-challenges-adel-taarabt-to-prove-himself?

WhiteJC

Opening day lineup values
By rich on August 12, 2013

This probably doesn't mean anything, and who knows how we'll line up next Saturday, but here's how transfermarket.co.uk value our starting XI from each of the last four seasons.   Of course transfer value, especially estimated transfer value, doesn't mean that much, but this does rather show how lacking we might be at the moment.  A healthy squad would have more young, good players: these are the players who cost money.  Presently only Ruiz merits a decent amount here.  Whatever you think of him, that feels about right; who else might someone buy off us for big money? (Kacaniklic is the answer but he is injured, although he is only valued at £3.1m at the moment owing to an absence of extended contribution).

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/opening-day-lineup-values/?

WhiteJC

International Whites

A number of Fulham players will be in international action on Wednesday as there are a host of friendly games and one FIFA World Cup Qualifier.

Defender Aaron Hughes is set to play for Northern Ireland as they face Russia in FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group F.

Currently, the winless Northern Irish are well off the pace having picked up just three points from their five games to date and sit 11 off Portugal at the top of the table, although have played two games less. Russia, in second, can go top if they beat Hughes' side and will give themselves a great chance of finishing at the top of the tree once the group is complete.

Last year in Moscow, Northern Ireland lost 2-0 to Russia, but will be hopeful of turning things around on home soil in Belfast.

Captain Brede Hangeland has been called up to the Norway squad to face Sweden, but Alexander Kačaniklić will not travel with the Swedes as he is still recovering from a hamstring injury.

The friendly in Solna sees the two Scandinavian rivals meet again, but Sweden haven't beaten their neighbours since June 1994. The last time the two met was in 2005 and was a thrilling 3-2 win for Norway away from home.

Elsewhere, Bryan Ruiz may have missed Costa Rica's CONCACAF Gold Cup campaign to play for Fulham on our pre-season tour of his homeland, but he is back in the squad to face the Dominican Republic in a friendly.

Costa Rica are well placed in their World Cup Qualifying group behind the United States and will be using the friendly as important practise before a crunch clash at the top of the table on the 6th of September.

Philippe Senderos will hope to start for Switzerland against the might of Brazil in a friendly in Basel.

The defender spent time in nearby Austria during pre-season with Fulham and heads to his homeland for a friendly against one of the world's most feared teams. The two countries have met only twice in their history – the last a 2-1 win for the South Americans in 2006.

Pajtim Kasami will also be in action for Switzerland, but he will face Portugal in a friendly for the Under-21 side away in Setubal. The attacking midfielder, who spent time on loan at FC Luzern last season, has seen some matchtime during pre-season and will hope to prove he is worthy of a First Team place for the coming campaign.

From the Development Squad, Lasse Vigen Christensen has been called up to play for Denmark Under-19s against Northern Ireland at Stangmore Park, while on loan goalkeeper Jesse Joronen will play for Finland U-21s against Wales in a UEFA Under-21 European Championship Qualifier.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/12/international-whites?

WhiteJC

QPR close in on former Fulham defender

QPR are closing in on former Fulham defender Chris Baird.

The 31-year-old Northern Ireland international was released by the Cottagers at the end of last season, and is available on a free transfer.

He made more than 100 Premier League starts in six years at Fulham, and trained with QPR earlier this month, ahead of a move which is expected to be confirmed this week.

Rs manager Harry Redknapp said: "I like Chris Baird; he knows what he's doing and he's a good player. I'd like to do something with him."

Meanwhile, Redknapp confirmed that left-back Armand Traore wants to leave Loftus Road, with Dinamo Moscow ready to sign the 23-year-old former Arsenal man.

Traore joined QPR in August 2011, but after relegation last season the clubare willing to let the Frenchman leave. Redknapp added: "He's not fit again at the moment [but] I think he wants to leave."

http://www.london24.com/sport/qpr_2_5433/qpr_close_in_on_former_fulham_defender_1_2329548

WhiteJC

Barclays U21s: Fulham hit back to beat Man City
Cauley Woodrow scores twice to give Fulham victory in their opening match of the season

Manchester City 1-2 Fulham
Two goals from Cauley Woodrow gave Fulham victory in their opening Barclays Under-21 Premier League contest at Hyde FC.

City, watched by first-team manager Manuel Pellegrini, made the early running with Albert Rusnak, Marcos Lopes and Jordy Hiwula having chances while Seko Fofana hit a post. City took the lead on 31 minutes when Hiwula slotted past Neil Etheridge in the Fulham goal after a driving run from Fofana.

Woodrow, who captained Fulham to victory in the Barclays Under-18 Premier League last season, pulled a goal back on the hour with a low strike before adding the second 13 minutes later with a header into the top corner.

"We're pleased with the win, it's always good to open the season with three points," Fulham Under-21 manager Kit Symons told the club's website. "We didn't play particularly well in the first-half, and probably gave City too much respect at times. They created a few chances and went in front.

"I had a chat with the boys at the break, and talked two or three things through with them. Again, they showed great character to turn it around and in the second-half they played much better. There was a lot more urgency and energy to their play and in the end, for me, we were worthy winners."

Man City report | Fulham report
Last year's semi-finalists Everton open their campaign on a busy Monday of action which features a total of eight matches.

The Toffees, led by coach Alan Stubbs, travel to Telford for their match against Wolverhampton Wanderers at the New Bucks Head Stadium.

Everton put together a 16-match unbeaten last season before losing to Tottenham Hotspur in the play-off semi-finals and Stubbs is hoping his side can match the standards they set last year.

"All the matches seemed to be tough. You see from last year that the standard has risen and it will be no different," he told the club's website. "We'll go there and, as always, we'll concentrate on what we do rather than what the other teams do. We'll go there, know our job and know what is expected of us.

"If we can have anything like the level we had last season with our performances and results then we will be very happy."

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/aug/barclays-u21-premier-league-review-110813.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham: Adel Taarabt's talent 'unquestionable' - Hangeland

Fulham midfielder Adel Taarabt could prove to be a key signing for the club if he allies hard work to his ability, according in captain Brede Hangeland.

The 24-year-old Morocco international has joined on a season-long loan from Championship side QPR.

Hangeland told BBC London 94.9: "I'm very excited to have him on board and it was a welcome surprise for us.

"It will be down to him to prove he can be consistent and work hard. His talent is unquestionable."

He added: "He caused us a lot of problems playing for QPR last season so I am happy he is on our team now."

Fulham lost 2-1 to Italian Serie A side Parma on Saturday in what was their final pre-season friendly.

The centre-back is wary the Cottagers will need to improve ahead of their first match of the Premier League season, away to Sunderland on Saturday.

"I didn't think we played particularly well, especially in the second half," the Norway international, 32, said.

"In the first half we showed the type of football we are capable of playing and that's what we need to try and do a bit more often.

"It's fair to say in the summer you do a lot of hard work and run around with one purpose - to get to the first game of the season.

"Now we are quite close so everybody will be looking forward to it and ready to go."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23667280?

WhiteJC

Briggs Off on Loan Again

Although there are doubts about the Craven Cottage future of Jon Arne Riise, with the Bundesliga being touted as his next stop, it appears that Martin Jol is still keen to send the twenty-two year-old out on loan.

Last season Briggs gained valuable first team exposure with Watford as the Hertfordshire side failed at the last hurdle to achieve promotion from the Championship to the Premier League.

Speaking about Briggs, Jol is quoted as having remarked to the media,

"He could do with another 25-50 games - otherwise he will only be back up here."

It`s probably a fair statement but if Riise does leave could the situation change?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=328438#ixzz2boj9Ospz

WhiteJC

Baird Joining Championship Outfit!

It appears that Queens Park Rangers could be bolstering their ranks of ex-Fulham players.

With Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson already residing at Loftus Road it looks increasingly likely that they will be joined by Chris Baird.

The 31 year-old Northern Ireland international was released by Fulham at the end of last season and has been training with the Championship club where, it would appear, he has impressed Harry Redknapp enough to be offered a deal.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=328439#ixzz2bojKRpW2

WhiteJC

Fulham Season Preview 2013/14 - Optimistic, Pessimistic & Realistic

Where are Fulham headed this season? Europe, cup runs, mid-table obscurity or a relegation dog fight?

The first season of the Khan-Jol era begins this Saturday at Sunderland's Stadium of Light. The question on every Premier League supporters lips right now is "how will we do this season"? Man United are hoping Moyes can continue where Ferguson left off, City are hoping they can take advantage of the handover of power at United and Liverpool are just hoping they can make it through a season without a bite attack or racism controversy.

But what about our beloved Fulham? We've had a summer of change with Al Fayed handing the club over to Shahid Khan and a number of new players arriving. Lets begin by looking at those key changes.

Headline Arrivals

Maarten Stekelenurg - The man with the name that barely fits on a shirt will be our new number 1 this season replacing veteran Mark Schwarzer who left for the dark side. He comes with a good pedigree having previously played at Ajax, Roma and in a World Cup Final. From what I've seen so far it looks like he is at a similar level to Mark Schwarzer but with better distribution and a few less years on the clock!

Fernando Amorebieta - Fernando comes with a reputation as a bit of a strong tackler. Mostly because of an incident where he met the face of a certain Mr. Messi. He played 195 times in La Liga with Athletic Bilbao and in 2011 pledged his allegiance to Venezuela and has since been capped 8 times. Fernando will be aiming to push Hughes and Senderos down the pecking order to become the first choice partner of Brede Hangeland.

Sascha Reither - Last years loan signing and players player of the year turned into a permanent deal. Enough said!

Derek Boateng - Possibly the longest running Fulham transfer saga since Jason Koumas, Martin Jol has been trying to sign Boateng for almost 2 years now. Unlike Amorebieta Derek has moved around Europe almost annually. At the time of writing he has played in Greece, Crete, Israel, Germany, Spain, Ukraine and now England. He'll line up in a defensive midfielder position and look to break up attacks before moving the ball onto more creative players. Given the lack of choices in that position right now he is likely first choice by default.

Adel Taarabt - The word "mercurial" may have been invented for Adel. Massively talented but incredibly frustrating is the line coming out of QPR since his loan move. It remains to be seen whether the move will re-kindle his top flight career and whether he can play in the same team as Ruiz and Berbatov. If Jol finds a way to make it work then expect entertainment galore this season.

Season Predictions

To try and give some semblance of balance to our preview what will follow is 3 different routes our season could take. At the end we'll have a poll where you can vote on the outcome you're expecting. Since I'm a glass half full kind of guy lets begin with "Optimistic"

Optimistic

Over the remaining days of the transfer window Jol manages to bring in the remaining players he desires. Namely a speedy goal poacher striker and a cultured passing midfielder. The most likely names right now are Gargano and Darren Bent. We begin the season well picking up away points here and there while our home form is excellent even including an early season victory over Arsenal.

We make it through a few rounds of the League cup and are able to use squad players before getting an unfortunate draw away to a big 4 team and slip out of the competition. Meanwhile in the league the new fast striker and Berbatov are finding their feet as a partnership and goals are starting to fly in. Taarabt is working harder than he ever has before and becomes football soul mates with Berbatov. Ruiz finally finds his feet in England and some consistency.

By the time Man City at home rolls around Fulham are in the top 6, close to the top 4 and looking like this years surprise package. In January we have no need to really spend and can take our time and pick up a couple of youngsters for the future again. We also get a good cup draw and make it through the first few rounds with ease.

A few frustrating losses away in the league occur over the winter but home form is still good and Fulham stays comfortably in the top half of the league. We shock a good team in the FA cup and by April make a first Wembley appearance since 1975. League form takes a bit of a hit but we still finish in the top 8 and a few youngsters like Grimmer, Trotta and Mesca have impressed over 2014. Meanwhile Chelsea have gone through 3 managers this season and QPR have remained in the Championship!

Pessimistic

Jol isn't given the money he wants and we move into September having signed no-one new. On the final day of the window we make a desperation Kuqi type striker purchase. Our away form begins poorly as usual and we only pick up the odd point here and there.

A hammering at Chelsea is followed in October by a live TV halloween horror show loss at Crystal Palace. After losing to Man United and Liverpool Fulham slip into the bottom 3 and stay there through Christmas. Early losses in both cup competitions are expected and sure enough happen. At least one is considered a "giant killing".

At this point Khan loses patience with Jol and dispenses with him. An interim Benitez type manager comes in and is given 15 million to spend in January to try and save Fulham. Not being able to work well with Berbatov this experiment doen't go well. Taarabt has his loan spell cancelled and takes the bus back to QPR.

The lack of effort from attacking players to get back and defend results in goals being leaked left, right and center. Despite a late fight from some players the game is up and Fulham go down with on the last day of the season. The Jacko statue remains while QPR pass us in the other direction coming back up.

Realistic

Fulham bring in a new player or two over August that paper over the cracks for the short term. Our home form is solid enough and we pick up the occasional win away from home. The team is still pretty old though and as the season wears on we experience a similar problem to the final 8 games of last season as legs get tired.

The league cup isn't taken seriously, as always, but we manage to get through a few rounds in the FA cup. If we get lucky with a good draw there is no reason a Wembley semi final isn't possible. Berbatov scores 10+ goals again and Taarabt and Ruiz show fleeting moments of brilliance throughout the season along with games where they are booed off. A 11th - 13th place finish is achieved unless the injury bug really bites us hard.

The youth teams perform well and win more cups with 1 or 2 players looking ready to break into the team in 2014/15. At the end of the season the final count of Jol saying "ever so" in interviews stands at 172.

Like I said at the beginning of this I'm a glass half full guy so I'm inclined to believe the season will be somewhere between realistic and optimistic if we can buy that passing midfielder and fast striker. The final pre-season games haven't been encouraging going forward so these players are crucial to our success this season. Have your say in the poll below and COYW!

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/8/12/4609610/fulham-season-preview-2013-14-optimistic-pessimistic-realistic?

WhiteJC

Roma pushing Fulham target Pablo Osvaldo to accept Southampton move

SOUTHAMPTON'S bid to sign Italo-Argentine striker Pablo Osvaldo has received a boost after the player's current club Roma urged him to accept a move to the south coast.

Roma are pushing Pablo Osvaldo to accept a move to Southampton

Osvaldo has been linked with moves to Fulham, Tottenham, Atletico Madrid and Wolfsburg this summer but Southampton now appear to be in pole position after receiving Roma's endorsement.

Italian international Osvaldo is thought to hold a preference to remain in Italy to better push his case for inclusion in Cesare Prandelli's national team plans ahead of next summer's World Cup.

Pablo Osvaldo is thought to want to remain in Italy

Reports in Italy suggest that Bundesliga club Wolfsburg offered Roma £17m for Osvaldo including a proposal to pay the player £2.4m a year, only for the 27-year-old to reject the move.

But according to Il Messaggero Southampton are set to renew their interest in Osvaldo with Roma's director of football Walter Sabatini hoping to convince the player to accept the move.

Osvaldo is reportedly training well on the club's pre-season tour of America amidst reports that he has already secretly negotiated a move to another Italian team, thought to be Inter Milan.

Pablo Osvaldo wants to push his Italy claims

Pablo Osvaldo doesn't want to be overlooked by Cesare Prandelli

But Sabatini is believed to be concerned that Inter plan to only declare their interest in the final days of the transfer window in the hope of securing Osvaldo at a lower price than what is currently being asked.

Such a move would obviously come as a double blow for Roma given they would not only be forced into taking less than they want for Osvaldo but would also have limited time to secure a replacement.

The reports can only be good news for Southampton though with a move for Osvaldo now looking increasingly likely.

Walter Sabatini wants Pablo Osvaldo to join Southampton

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/421558/Roma-pushing-Fulham-target-Pablo-Osvaldo-to-accept-Southampton-move?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-sport-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Sport+Feed%29

WhiteJC

Dann wanted by Fulham and Everton as race hots up for wantaway Rovers defender

Fulham and Everton are showing interest in Blackburn Rovers defender Scott Dann.

The 26-year-old wants to leave the Championship club and Rovers are even willing to consider a loan to get his wages off the books.

In demand: Fulham and Everton are interested in securing the services of Blackburn's Scott Dann (right)

Everton are weighing up options with John Heitinga attracting interest from Turkey and Antolin Alcaraz out for the start of the season with a hernia.

Blackburn hope to off-load unwanted Argentine international Mauro Formica to Mexican outfit Cruz Azul. The wideman is for sale for a £500,000 fee - £3.5m less than they paid for him in August 2011. Formica, 25, is currently training with Rovers reserves as they look to cut their losses.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2390611/Scott-Dann-wanted-Fulham-Everton-race-hots-Blackburn-Rovers-defender.html#ixzz2bokxfhlO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham boss still in the market for a striker

Transfer News: Fulham manager Martin Jol has admitted that he is still looking for a striker in this summer's transfer window.

The Whites were reliant on Dimitar Berbatov to find the net last season and the Dutchman wants to add some support.

"Everybody knows how I feel about it," he said. "We need pace up front. We need goals and if you see our flank players they are very talented, but since Clint Dempsey left we have not scored enough. I think Adel [Taarabt] is capable of scoring goals, Berbatov is, Bryan [Ruiz] could be. But what I need is someone who can score more.

"We are a very good Premier League club and we have some good players, but I want to strengthen the squad."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_still_in_the_market_for_a_striker_1_2332109

WhiteJC

Giorgos Geared To Go

Giorgos Karagounis is looking forward to starting the new season in top shape, having had a full pre-season training schedule behind him this summer.

The veteran Greek midfielder put pen to paper on a new deal in July, which keeps him at the Club for another season, and was happy to commit his future to Fulham.

"I'm very happy because I wanted to stay on," he said. "I get on well with everyone here and people at the Club were welcoming towards me when I first joined. I have always felt very good here with my teammates, Manager, coaches and staff; in fact everyone around the place. Last season was a great experience for me to play for the first time in the Barclays Premier League for a team like Fulham which has always been good to me."

Karagounis endeared himself to the Fulham fans with his workmanlike attitude, along with a couple of long-range goals, and his warrior spirit is something that he feels stands him in good stead.

"I have found the fans have been very good to me," he said. "I found that fans like and appreciate players that work hard and do everything they can for the team when they step out onto the pitch to give 100 per cent, which is how I play. This is something that fans love and they have responded to me really well singing my name. I wasn't expecting this reaction from the fans."

Playing a part in every game on tour in Costa Rica, Karagounis was delighted to be in such a nice setting to get himself fully fit for the start of the season.

"It was the first time I've been to Costa Rica," he said. "The people over there were friendly and ready to help us at any given moment. It was hot and humid and sometimes it was hard to breathe, but all-in-all it was a great experience despite having to travel a fair distance. The training and matches were excellent and were very well organised, so credit must go to those that had an input in making it a successful trip."

With the trip to Sunderland on 17th August coming up fast, Karagounis believes he will benefit from an extended training period before we kick off the new campaign.

"I feel good. It's better for me this time round as I have managed to take part in pre-season training from the first day whereas last season I joined at the beginning of September without having prepared like I have now," he added. "Now, I think all the work we have been doing as a team will benefit me personally. The aim would be to do better than last season, for the team to finish in the top 10 and to have good cup runs. It would be wonderful to win something but most important is to try to keep doing better.   

Reunited with former Panathinaikos teammate Derek Boateng in the centre of midfield, the Greek is pleased with some healthy competition for a first team slot, which he thinks can only benefit the squad as a whole.

"I played two years with him at Panathinaikos and if I remember he played more as an offensive midfielder," he said. "He was and still is a great player and a good teammate for the squad.

"I'm sure that he feels good here because everyone makes that extra effort to make sure that new players integrate quickly. I try to help him when I can too, he is a lovely guy. There are a lot of good midfielders at this club with great quality which is good for the team and provides healthy competition. This can only be good for the players and the team as a whole in order to progress and for the level to remain high."

The 36-year-old is also keen to use his considerable experience to help the younger squad members develop.

"If the younger players look upon me as a good role model then I'm only too pleased to be available to help them if they have any questions," he said. "I am ready to help them because I remember what it was like to be a young player and I appreciated all the advice I received from the senior guys.

"It also gives me a lot of pleasure to help them because I can see a lot of quality amongst the younger players at Fulham. I think they have a great future ahead of them, not only individually but to do well for the team. They are a superb group and one day, they too will be required to be even better ambassadors for the Club and to pass on their knowledge to the young players."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/13/giorgos-geared-to-go?

WhiteJC

Clifford French to work on Fulham FC partnership with Brother UK

Office technology company Brother UK has brought in Clifford French to help promote its work with Fulham Football Club.

Martin Jol: Manager of Fulham FC

Clifford French was handed the retained brief to activate a variety of partnership rights throughout the 2013/14 season after Brother UK signed a deal to become the Premier League team's 'official technology partner' at the start of this month.

Included in the activation programme is a focus on Brother UK's work with the club's charity arm, the Fulham FC Foundation, including its Schools Enterprise Programme.

James Clifford, co-founder of Clifford French, said: 'This is much more than a badging exercise for Brother. We will be looking to use Brother's technological expertise to assist Fulham FC's performances both on and off the pitch and the Schools Enterprise Programme is a perfect example of how football can be used as a vehicle to get youngsters interested and excited in business.'

Brother UK is a member of the Brother Group, which has operations in 28 countries and is sold in more than 100 countries.

http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/1194813/clifford-french-work-fulham-fc-partnership-brother-uk/?

WhiteJC

Tottenham transfers: Seattle's Clint Dempsey expected to stay a Spurs
Tottenham transfers: Seattle Sounders midfielder Clint Dempsey says he didn't expect to leave White Hart Lane this summer

Clint Dempsey has admitted he was surprised to leave Tottenham Hotspur and complete a surprise return to Major League Soccer with Seattle Sounders.

The 30-year-old had a solid first season with Spurs following his £6m move from London rivals Fulham last season, scoring seven goals in 29 appearances in all competitions.

André Villas-Boas has signed Nacer Chadli, Paulinho and Roberto Soldado in the current transfer window, pushing Dempsey further down the pecking order.

And the United States captain admitted it felt like the right time to seal a return to the MLS, with Seattle Sounders making the midfielder one of the best paid players in the league.

"I had two years left on my contract at Tottenham and going back there in pre-season, I thought I was going to be there but I guess it is just timing," Dempsey told Sky Sports News.

"The right situation came along and MLS and Seattle Sounders, they moved mountains to get me back and I wanted to come back whilst I could still do it.

I wanted to come back and make an impact."

Last week, Seattle Sounders' majority owner John Roth revealed he was delighted to sign the midfielder.

"This is a historic day for Sounders FC and our fans. Clint is a world-class soccer player who can take this club to a higher level," Roth told Seattle Sounders' website.

Dempsey scored 60 goals in 225 appearances for Fulham before moving from Craven Cottage to the north London and netting 12 strikes in 43 outings.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/08/tottenham-transfers-seattles-clint-dempsey-expected-to-stay-a-spurs/?

WhiteJC

Fulham star insists he is ready for Sunderland

Fulham midfielder Giorgos Karagounis believes he is ready for his side's opening Premier League fixture at Sunderland.

The Greek midfielder agreed a one-year extension to his contract and has had a full pre-season to reach match fitness.

"I feel good. It's better for me this time round as I have managed to take partin pre-season training from the first day whereas last season I joined at the beginning of September without having prepared like I have now," he said.

"Now, I think all the work we have been doing as a team will benefit me personally.

"The aim would be to do better than last season, for the team to finish in the top 10 and to have good cup runs.

"It would be wonderful to win something but most important is to try to keep doing better."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_insists_he_is_ready_for_sunderland_1_2332247