NFR dogs are best

Started by spikey norman, August 13, 2013, 10:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

epsomraver

Got a collie cross and a doberman both bitches, love children although the doberman cannot eat a whole one! ( just joking ) they are both very good , brought up with German shepherds as favourite dog, had three altogether but inherited these two and they are fine. That program solved one mystery the doberman sometimes cannot see her orange ball in the grass, dogs cannot see orange , it is green to them, that explains it, I was worried her sight was going.

King_Crud

yeah dogs are colour blind, or see in black and white, or something like that

Holders

You can't beat a Border Collie, Boyo!

Couldn't make out how many you've got - is it 3 or 5?

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: King_Crud on August 15, 2013, 07:48:56 AM
yeah dogs are colour blind, or see in black and white, or something like that

That's why they can see in the dark better, it's intentional.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

alfie

Quote from: tommy on August 13, 2013, 10:50:04 PM
There don't call dogs mans best friend for nothing. My Weimaraner is part of the family. You don't get that with a cat.

Oh yes you do, my cat is most definately part of the family, in fact he runs the family
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 14, 2013, 04:23:19 AM
I had to join in. I have refused to get a dog my entire adult life, but my two kids have been relentless in trying to get me to cave in. I'm mean relentless. They cared for my sisters two dogs while she was on vacation recently and did a great job I must admit.

A friend has some pure bred golden labs coming soon and she wants me to have one for my kids when they are at the right age. 6 weeks I guess.

Should I gave in? Are dogs that great to have around with the kids?

I used to breed Goldies back in the UK, so we always had at least 2 in the house at any time. A fantastic family dog with great temperament, but be aware, they are not small and they are long-haired. Make sure they are AKC registered and that some lines are susceptible to hip displasia - so check out the parents histories first - or it could cost you an arm and two back legs!

spikey norman

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 14, 2013, 04:23:19 AM
I had to join in. I have refused to get a dog my entire adult life, but my two kids have been relentless in trying to get me to cave in. I'm mean relentless. They cared for my sisters two dogs while she was on vacation recently and did a great job I must admit.

A friend has some pure bred golden labs coming soon and she wants me to have one for my kids when they are at the right age. 6 weeks I guess.

Should I gave in? Are dogs that great to have around with the kids?
yes definitely consider getting a dog but do research first as some breeds are more suitable than others.Terriers for example can be quite yappy so if you don't want to upset your neighbours go for a quieter breed.
I have Pointers (on my fifth one now) and they are so gentle,obidient and quiet that they are such a pleasure to own and great for going on long country walks.If you do get a dog make sure you insure it as recently one of my dogs was diagnosed with cancer and treatment cost approximately £3,000 which apart from the excess of £75 all was covered.

As for whether dogs can see in colour the TV programme I saw  stated that dogs  do see in colour, but many fewer colours than normal humans do. Instead of seeing the rainbow as violet, blue, blue-green, green, yellow, orange and red, dogs would see it as dark blue, light blue, grey, light yellow, darker yellow (sort of brown), and very dark grey. In other words, dogs see the colours of the world as basically yellow, blue and grey. They see the colours green, yellow and orange as yellowish, and they see violet and blue as blue. Blue-green is seen as a grey.
Funnily the most popular colours for dog toys today are red or safety orange (the bright orange red on traffic cones or safety vests). However red is difficult for dogs to see. To a dog it may appear as a very dark brownish grey or perhaps even a black. This means that that bright red dog toy that is so visible to us may often be difficult for a dog to see. That means that when your dog runs right past the toy that you threw for them she/he may not be stubborn or stupid. It may be our fault for choosing a toy with a colour that is hard to discriminate from the green grass of your lawn