watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR dogs are best

Started by spikey norman, August 13, 2013, 10:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey norman

Having just watched a really good programme on tv called Life of Dogs has reinforced why I love my dogs and dogs in general so much and why if you are going to have a pet, a dog is the best choice over ones like cats,rabbits,snakes,birds,etc - they are so boring in comparison
Anybody else think dogs are the best?

tommy

There don't call dogs mans best friend for nothing. My Weimaraner is part of the family. You don't get that with a cat.

jelmo

I watched that program too.  Was pretty interesting

spikey norman

Dogs are so intelligent that only they can do work such as sniffing out drugs/ bombs,humans under collapsed buildings and helping those with disabilities such as sight and hearing,etc

The Bronsons

Love my Border terrier.

Cats are fine too, but my advice is don't buy anything bigger than a hamster that you'll expect to live in a cage. Our daughter when she was 8 nagged us into getting a rabbit. Never again: the poor thing was miserable as sin despite having access to grass and runs etc. and ending up going near psychotic.

YankeeJim

Quote from: tommy on August 13, 2013, 10:50:04 PM
There don't call dogs mans best friend for nothing. My Weimaraner is part of the family. You don't get that with a cat.

Generally I'd agree with your comments about cats but I have an old tom who is past 18 and who still meets me when I get home and the last time I was sick, sat in bed with me most of the day. I also have a year old female who has a toy mouse that she brings to either my wife or me so that we can toss it and she'll fetch it. So, there are exceptions. Even with that my avatar is the finest dog the good Lord ever put on the face of the earth. Its been almost three years since she passed and I still can't bring myself to replace her. My kids on the other hand...... :005:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

RidgeRider

I had to join in. I have refused to get a dog my entire adult life, but my two kids have been relentless in trying to get me to cave in. I'm mean relentless. They cared for my sisters two dogs while she was on vacation recently and did a great job I must admit.

A friend has some pure bred golden labs coming soon and she wants me to have one for my kids when they are at the right age. 6 weeks I guess.

Should I gave in? Are dogs that great to have around with the kids?

Deanothefulhamfan

I love dogs, and when I have my own house I will defintley have them...

Ridge if you do give in the happiness in your kids faces will be priceless.... I was about 14 when we got our dogs, I wanted them for ages as well.... When we finally got them I couldnt have been happier...

btings

I am allergic to dogs, and as result am skittish around them.

However, I have always loved this blog about dogs watching conference football: http://nonleaguedogs.tumblr.com/

Berserker

I'd like a dog but work full time and do feel it's unfair to leave one alone all day, therefore i don't have one. I like cats as well and have two of them as they are more independent and can go in and out through the cat flap
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

King_Crud

i like cats and dogs equally, because of the different qualities they have

sipwell

I don't see the point in saying "dogs are better than cats". Like King_Crud, I like them both. Living in a big city however, I consider all those who keep a dog in a tiny appartment not as "dog lovers" but as "dog mistreaters". A dog should be able to run, roam and discover, not sit indoors for most of his life.

RR, you should buy your kids a dog. In fact, you should have already bought your kids one. Owning a dog brings great responsibility, which is learned very naturally (you take care for your dog because you love him/her, therefore you are learning without realizing it).

That said, I like cats too. The mere fact that they treat humans as unequal is hilarious!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Vinnieffc

Why is it that dogs are Man's best friend, whilst Women get Diamonds ? Did we miss a trick here, chaps ?  :022:

beijing ben

Quote from: The Bronsons on August 14, 2013, 12:19:06 AM
Love my Border terrier.

Cats are fine too, but my advice is don't buy anything bigger than a hamster that you'll expect to live in a cage. Our daughter when she was 8 nagged us into getting a rabbit. Never again: the poor thing was miserable as sin despite having access to grass and runs etc. and ending up going near psychotic.

Rabbits are underrated. They're best when they are little. Mine was non stop entertainment when she was young. Still great now. Had to take her to the vet today because i'm going away for a few days. Hate it when your pet is not around..

YankeeJim

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 14, 2013, 04:23:19 AM
I had to join in. I have refused to get a dog my entire adult life, but my two kids have been relentless in trying to get me to cave in. I'm mean relentless. They cared for my sisters two dogs while she was on vacation recently and did a great job I must admit.

A friend has some pure bred golden labs coming soon and she wants me to have one for my kids when they are at the right age. 6 weeks I guess.

Get a dog if it will be a member of the family. If you plan it it being out side all the time or god forbid, chained up, than don't get one.
Labs are 65-100 pound lap dogs. They are sweet and generally won't harm a fly. They do have a deep base bark so some early training is required. They learn quickly. Labs are like having a drooling, noisey, large 12 year old in the house.  :005: That being said, before anyone harms your kids they'll have to kill the dog.
Dogs are a very positive thing to have around. They'll teach you what love and loyalty are all about.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

LordNelson

Read Byron's "Epitaph for a Dog" if you have any doubt about why people love their dogs so much.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

MikeCdawg

..."I wouldn't go so far to call a dog filthy, they're definitely dirty. But dog's got personality and personality goes a long way."

jarv

Bejing Ben...rabbit's underrated? have you ever eaten rabbit pie?, must disagree with you there.

In my mate's local in Winchester, the landlady had a good idea. Pie contest. many brought pies, the pub cooked the veggies and it was only 2 quid for Sunday dinner for all those who wanted it. The rabbit pie took first prize. The pub was the winner cos it was packed with people buying booze.

Oh yes, dogs....I had a dalmation once. very nice but never again. I like to travel quite a bit which is a problem (3 week trips home to UK for examle). Ties you down and dogs never learn to use a toilet, another big problem for me.. 

RidgeRider

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 14, 2013, 04:53:05 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on August 14, 2013, 04:23:19 AM

Get a dog if it will be a member of the family. If you plan it it being out side all the time or god forbid, chained up, than don't get one.
Labs are 65-100 pound lap dogs. They are sweet and generally won't harm a fly. They do have a deep base bark so some early training is required. They learn quickly. Labs are like having a drooling, noisey, large 12 year old in the house.  :005: That being said, before anyone harms your kids they'll have to kill the dog.
Dogs are a very positive thing to have around. They'll teach you what love and loyalty are all about.

Ok, you've sold me. Thanks Jim.

NogoodBoyo

My dogs have earned my wife and I a decent living for the last 11 years.  They don't get paid, they don't want holidays.  All they want is a bit of good food, plenty of exercise, some playtime (see our video on how we do that - In Dogged Pursuit of Geese VI - Border Collie Playtime).  Oh yes, they want  work..... and MORE WORK.
Only one team of dogs can do that - it's a black and white open and shut case, m'lud!  The Fulham dogs.

Nogood "it being a dog's life, isit" Boyo