watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged: Scotty Parker Threads

Started by jelmo, August 14, 2013, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelmo

Ill start with the cons as these are easier to think of...

Cons

He is 32 (will be 33 in October)

The average age of our squad will shoot up even more

Our other CM options are 30, 30 & 36 years old...

He doesn't offer anything going forward

He is a step backwards from the players we were linked with - Gargano, Chantome, Granero etc (even Malanda would be more exciting)

He will cost around £3M. Would be ridiculous to pay this amount for a soon to be 33 year old considering how tight we have been so far in this window.

This would just be yet another stop-gap.

Pros

He is an England international

It would P*ss off QPR fans if we get him

Err...

Its a signing I suppose.

GloucesterWhite

If we can get a year or two out of him he could then be replaced by one of the youngsters coming through. Seems a good idea IF we have a young one expected to be ready for the first team in a year or so.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Aaron

I already know what this is going to be before I click on it..

..and

..nicely done :)

Northern Cottager

£3.5 million to plug a gap for one or two years seems very different to the way we normally operate and plug our gaps. Over the last few years we've kidded ourselves with old over the hill signings on loans and free's, this makes no sense! Especially is Enoh is available for less than that, is younger, wants to play here and will be on lower wages!

jelmo

Lets hope its just paper talk. If not, then we have to wonder what the  powers that be at FFC smoking...

JIMMY D

Ummmm I don't get it? Why would we NOT wont him. He is a better player than any of our current midfield players.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: JIMMY D on August 14, 2013, 10:39:38 AM
Ummmm I don't get it? Why would we NOT wont him. He is a better player than any of our current midfield players.

On his day he's brilliant there's no arguing with that but he is also getting injured a lot, slowing down and obviously ageing. 5 years ago he would of been perfect but for a future he isn't what the club needs.

Jonno

He was, but not anymore. Injuries have taken their toll and I wouldn't touch him with a barge poll. Plus he is currently being paid double the amount any of ours will be.

Deanothefulhamfan

Ok hes old and injury prone..... but he would walk into our central midfield with so much ease.... It shows how poor we are really.... I would rather we use the money more wisely, and buy in an area that we actually need.... But he will improve our starting 11 without question

Fulham1959

I am not suggesting that there is necessarily any comparison  - in any respect  -  but how old was Danny Murphy when we signed him ?

jelmo

Quote from: JIMMY D on August 14, 2013, 10:39:38 AM

The cons list is a lot bigger than the pro list. If you can argue against the specific points I laid out then fair enough.

Lighthouse

Five years ago he was better than anything we have now. Sadly he really isn't going to walk in anywhere now. Hope the talk is rubbish. He has plenty to offer in the Championship. But not in a Prem side that wants more than scraping survival. Fulham should be better than wanting Parker.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jelmo

Quote from: Fulham1959 on August 14, 2013, 11:00:13 AM
I am not suggesting that there is necessarily any comparison  - in any respect  -  but how old was Danny Murphy when we signed him ?

But surely we are all in agreement about the need for the average age of the squad to come down? In the past it has been one of the few things this board has agreed on.

It odd because one minute someone will moan about how old the squad is and the next minute champion the signing of an old, past it player.

Id rather combine youth and age. At the moment we are combining age and age.

Deanothefulhamfan

Yes it does need to come down without doubt.... Im just suggesting he is better than what we currently have at the club in that position.

jelmo

Id much prefer Enoh if we are going to pay the money for Parker though. 5 Years younger, will have potential sell on value, already integrated into our team set up and the premiership, competent player and will cost the same as Parker if not less.

rusty shackleford

At this stage I want players who are better than the ones already in our first 11 for the upcoming season, regardless of age. If Parker is better than Sidwell then get him in

Deanothefulhamfan

I agree with everything about Enoh.... Except the fact he isnt as good as parker.... Enoh is a squad player and no better than what we have.... But parker would start....

Either way I hope we dont sign him.... The money has to be spent on players we need... striker first than a creatve midfielder and then a ldft back

jelmo

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on August 14, 2013, 11:42:13 AM
I agree with everything about Enoh.... Except the fact he isnt as good as parker.... Enoh is a squad player and no better than what we have.... But parker would start....

Either way I hope we dont sign him.... The money has to be spent on players we need... striker first than a creatve midfielder and then a ldft back

Well, looks as though we agree on this point!