watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol on Taarabt and hangeland

Started by Zu-Meister, August 18, 2013, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zu-Meister

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2396668/Adel-Taarabt-desperate-shake-bad-boy-image-Martin-Jol.html

Fulham star Adel Taarabt says he is mystified by his bad boy image.

The Moroccan midfielder made his debut for Martin Jol's side in their 1-0 win at Sunderland on Saturday, working in tandem with Dimitar Berbatov and matchwinner Pajtim Kasami.

His return to the Premier League with The Cottagers came after securing a season-long loan from Queens Park Rangers earlier this month.

Former Spurs playmaker Taarabt was allowed to leave by Rangers boss Harry Redknapp after indicating he did not want to play in the Championship following last season's relegation.

And Taarabt has vowed to make an impression with Fulham and bury his reputation as a maverick.

He said: 'QPR wanted me to stay, but having played Premier League last season I wanted it again this year. I didn't want to drop back. When they told me Fulham were interested I told them I wanted to come here.

'Saying I do not want to play in the Championship does not make me a bad person. I was very lucky coming here because Martin Jol knows me not just as a footballer but as a person too. He knows the real Adel Taarabt.

'He signed me at Spurs when I was 17. Everyone says I am a bad boy but not Martin. Yes, I can get a bit upset on the pitch, who doesn't? I just want to win badly and I need to play well. The manager knows that.

'People who say I am a lazy footballer won't be saying that after Saturday's game at Sunderland. It was hard because for three months I was training very much on my own and I only played 20 minutes against Parma. My fitness isn't where I want it to be, so while it was a good game for me it was also a very hard one and I'm so pleased I lasted 90 minutes.

'A lot of people criticize me and give me a bad image. I don't know why. I am not this guy they paint a bad picture of. They call me lazy and I only play when I feel like it but this is not true. I love football and all I want to do is be on the pitch.'

Jol signed Taarabt for Spurs, and revealed he had also chased him for Hamburg and Ajax before landing him on 'virtually a free transfer' for this season at least.

The Dutch coach is convinced Taarabt and Berbatov can play together, and will not be a luxury for the long season ahead.

The Fulham boss said: 'If you are a team like we are it is always nice to be able to get players like Adel Taarabt. Eighteen months ago he was valued at £15m to go to PSG, I wanted him when I was at Hamburg, I wanted him at Ajax and on this basis to get him on a free is really good.

'And Darren Bent to be honest too. He was £15m when we bought him for Spurs and £23m when he went to Aston Villa, so to get him on a loan basis is great.

'I have seven or eight like that and it is nice to collect these players. We have got them because they were not doing well at their club but hopefully they will do well at our club now. My priority is to get them to 100 per cent.

'Is it a gamble? It is a better gamble than signing players who were maybe in the Championship. Last year Berbatov came to us three or four days before the transfer window closed and scored 18 goals for us and probably saved our season. It is nice to have all of these qualities. The only thing is how well will they play together?

'Like Berbatov, Taarabt is unbelievable on the ball and they have to do it every week. Adel is a young kid and young player and I think he was involved in 40 goals in the Championship but you have to wait to see what they can do in the Premier League. I saw Adel play against us last season and they beat us 2-1 and he scored two goals, so maybe it is small evidence but it is good evidence for me.

'I saw him in training for a week and he is a wizard on the ball and he can play for us. He will be good but players like him are always in a situation where people probably blame them for results when they go wrong. He is a good footballer and the defensive part is not one of his favourite hobbies, that's for sure, but he worked hard against Sunderland.

'That is impossible they are luxuries. But it is better to have them on the ball than not on the ball. We sit down and we speak about it and if you saw Berbatov on Saturday, he worked as hard as he ever has. If you give him one finger he gives you his hand.'

Jol meanwhile believes securing a contract extension in the summer for captain Brede Hangeland could be an even smarter piece for business for the Craven Cottage club.

He added: 'We offered him a new contract, then I told him that something like 60 players have left Fulham in the last three or four years but probably two or three are doing well.

'So he thought about it overnight, came back the next day and wanted to sign the contract.'

Black, White and Fred

Love Jol referencing the Fulham curse for players that have left the club.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

JackyFulham90

He has a good knowledge of football Jol, I like him hope he is here long term

General

The fact that we let a lot of the players go when they can no longer cope with their age and performing at this level is a different matter... Although Zamora, Dempsey are two that may buck that trend... Dembele has done well for himself though... Murphy and etuhu haven't though.

Fulham4Ever

Steve Finnan did ok, how many other of these "60" Fulham players did well :) , Saha wasn't too shabby either......Van Der Sar hmm I think it may be more than a few.

Good to see Brede keeping the faith though !!

rusty shackleford

Dembele and Smalling have done ok for themselves.

epsomraver

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on August 18, 2013, 11:09:00 PM
He has a good knowledge of football Jol, I like him hope he is here long term

Yes,one day he might use it and surprise us all

Ruiz11

Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu, Sa, Zamora, AJ have all totally flopped.

MJG

Quote from: Fulham4Ever on August 19, 2013, 07:42:53 AM
Steve Finnan did ok, how many other of these "60" Fulham players did well :) , Saha wasn't too shabby either......Van Der Sar hmm I think it may be more than a few.

Good to see Brede keeping the faith though !!
he said over the last 3 to 4 years, so I wouldn't count the Tigana lads.