more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23/08/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 23, 2013, 04:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

MISSING MEMBERS

for the 20 or so people who joined FoF this week and suddenly find their membership has disappeared I'm sorry,  :dft001: I lost the database.

if you email me  john @ friendsoffulham dot com with your username and password I'll reset your account

WhiteJC

Tamworth boss backs former Fulham FC man to make his mark

DALE Belford has backed striker Richard Peniket to make a name for himself at The Lamb this season.

And the Tamworth boss believes the former Fulham forward has what it takes to battle his back into the Football League one day.

Belford said: "Richard has been unbelievable for me so far and I am delighted with him.

"He has a big part to play this year, with his pace and power.

"His work rate is fantastic. I have never seen a forward work as hard as he has done to be honest.

"I know fans were disappointed to see (last season's top scorer) Adam Cunnington leave.

"But the fact is we simply couldn't afford to keep him at the club.

"We have managed to bring in three players for the money that Adam was on.

"Richard is one of those players and, for me, three players represents terrific value for money.

"He's come from the under-21s at Fulham and so his quality is not in doubt.

"He will score goals too, as he has already shown in pre-season.

"But there's no pressure on him to do so. Scoring goals is a collective effort and I want all the lads to chip in."

He added: "The team ethos we are building is one of team ethic and togetherness so we will not be putting pressure on any of the lads. We are all in it together.

"All we ask is that the lads listen to what we tell them, stick to the game plan and enjoy their football."

Meanwhile, Belford is looking for his players to maintain their good form as the Lambs prepare for a Bank Holiday double-header.

Belford's unbeaten troops travel to Hereford United on Saturday before hosting Dartford on Monday (kick off 3pm).

And Belford is keen to banish memories of last season's 5-2 defeat at Edgar street.

He said: "From a personal point of view, I want to put things right from last season.

"We got thrashed there and it was possibly the only performance that I was disappointed with when I took over as manager.

"I am sure that it will be another tough test this weekend.

"They are a big and strong side, very physical and they will cause you a lot of problems if you are not organised.

"So we have to make sure we are fully prepared and committed."

The Lambs will also come up against a familiar face as the Bulls include Michael Rankine in their line up.

Rankine had a trial at Tamworth in the summer, scoring in the 2-0 friendly win over Atherstone Town.

"Michael's a smashing lad," said Belford. "He did well for us but we decided to go for Richard Peniket.

"I am sure Michael will be out to prove a point and he's certainly a handful when he's fit.

"But it's about more that Michael. Hereford are a strong side full stop but we are looking forward to the test."

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/story-19692550-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Diarra handed Fulham chance

FULHAM will wait until Mahamadou Diarra returns to full fitness before making a decision on his future.

The Mali midfielder hasn't featured for the Whites since December due to a serious knee injury.

Diarra, 32, is a free agent after his deal expired in the summer but is still training at Motspur Park as he tries to prove his fitness to Martin Jol.

"He is doing a lot of ball work and the warm-up with us," said the Dutch manager of the former Real Madrid star.

"He needs another three or four weeks before playing games with us or the reserves and then we will make a decision on him."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/08/22/82029-33758448/?#ixzz2clG2KUXX

WhiteJC

Chelsea, Spurs and Fulham In Race For England U21 Star

Chelsea have been tipped as the favourites to sign Sporting Lisbon's English-born centre back Eric Dier.

The 19-year-old was recently called up to the England Under 21 side for their friendly against Scotland last week.

He regularly appeared for Sporting last year but has a £4.2 million buyout clause that has tempted a lot of European clubs to his signature. He made his debut in November 2012 and since has retained his place in the side as he appeared 14 times for the Portuguese giants last season.

Dier was born in England but moved to Portugal when he was 10-years-old as his mother got a job in the western Europe country during Euro 2004.

He was part of Peter Taylor's FIFA U20 World Cup squad this summer, in which England exited at the group stages.

He has previously moved on loan to Everton but failed to make enough of an impression to break into the first team.

ITV are reporting that Spurs are the frontrunners in the chase for the youngster, with Fulham also preparing a bid.

http://theyouthradar.com/2013/08/22/chelsea-spurs-and-fulham-in-race-for-england-u21-star/?

WhiteJC

Darren Bent can recapture golden form at Fulham - Curbishley

Loan star: Bent is hoping to revive his career at Fulham this season

Darren Bent is a footballer who divides opinion. There are some like Fulham manager Martin Jol who believe he is still one of the best predatory strikers in the Premier League, which is why he has brought the striker on loan for the season from Aston Villa.

There are others, such as Paul Lambert, Bent's boss at Villa, who remain unconvinced.

One man firmly in the Jol camp of Bent advocates is former Charlton manager Alan Curbishley, who signed the striker from Ipswich in June 2005 for a fee of £2.5million and sold him to Tottenham two years later for £16.5m.

Curbishley believes Fulham have done good business in signing Bent, who could make his debut for the club in Saturday's match at home to Arsenal.

"We all have our opinions but the statistics don't lie," says Curbishley. "Throughout his career Darren has scored close to one goal every two matches and that is impressive."

Bent netted 31 goals in 68 League appearances during his spell at The Valley and Curbishley says: "Darren is an out-and-out goalscorer.

"The secret is not to ask him to do things which could detract from that. I don't know what went on at Villa, maybe there was a personality clash or perhaps he couldn't get in because Christian Benteke was doing so well.

"When Darren was at Charlton I asked him to play on the shoulder of the last defender and not to worry too much about build-up play.

"We had Danny Murphy in a three-man midfield that season and he would just pick out Darren who would get right on the end of things."

At the end of the 2005-06 season Bent finished as the leading English striker in the top flight with 22 League and cup goals and Curbishley believed his in-form striker was a certainty to be selected for the World Cup finals in Germany.

"I was so sure he would be picked I took him off at half-time of our last game of the season at Manchester United to protect him.

"I was shocked when Sven-Goran Eriksson left him out of the squad," said Curbishley, who has been out of management since 2008 when he left West Ham.

Curbishley remains optimistic Bent can recapture the golden form he demonstrated at Charlton now that he has moved to Fulham, where the 29-year-old striker has been reunited with Scott Parker, who joined from Tottenham this week.

Curbishley added: "Martin doesn't seem to mind signing experienced players and I can see him working really well with Dimitar Berbatov, who likes the ball to feet rather than running in behind.

"What with Scott Parker in midfield, Fulham have done some shrewd business and I can see them doing well this season."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/darren-bent-can-recapture-golden-form-at-fulham--curbishley-8779788.html

WhiteJC

Bent to make flying start for Fulham against Arsenal
The well-travelled striker has scored seven goals in 11 games against the Gunners

Darren Bent was an unused substitute for Fulham in their 1-0 win against his former club Sunderland, but the striker will surely make his debut against Arsenal if Martin Jol is aware of his record against the Gunners.

In 11 matches against Arsenal, Bent has scored seven times for four different teams, and he is a good bet to find the net again at 9/4 to score in the 90 minutes.

In his past five matches in all competitions against the Gunners Bent has scored five times, including winners for both Aston Villa and Sunderland.

The only team Bent has a better record against is Bolton, and Jol would be wise to use him either from the start or off the bench.

Laurent Koscielny is unavailable for the match after being sent off against Aston Villa and Bacary Sagna will be required to fill in at centre-back in a makeshift defence.

Villa ruthlessly exposed the Gunners' vulnerability to the counter attack at the Emirates, and Bent will thrive on long balls in behind the high line Arsene Wenger favours.

After a morale-boosting win over Fenerbahce in the Champions League play-offs, Arsenal will be desperate to get their league campaign back on track.

The visitors are 23/20 to win, but with Fulham likely to pose a sterner test than the Turkish side, backing the draw at 12/5 could be the better bet.

It is also notable that in the past three matches between the two sides at Craven Cottage there have been four red cards, with both Steven Sidwell and Olivier Giroud sent off last season.

Fulham were unable to overcome the early dismissal of Sidwell last year, and lost 1-0, but with Bent in their ranks they will be hoping for at least a point this term.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/bent-to-make-flying-start-for-fulham-against-arsenal_168878.html

WhiteJC

The Marathon Trip

For the first game of the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season, our new title sponsor Marathonbet treated 200 Fulham fans to free away travel to Sunderland.

What they didn't tell them was they would be giving each fan their own brand new Third team shirt to wear for the match, and enlisting the help of Fulham legend, Luis Boa Morte as a surprise landlord.

Before arriving at the Stadium of Light, the four coaches pulled up to a pub for a scheduled pit stop to let fans refuel and grab a pre-match pint.

It was then that Marathonbet exclusively revealed Fulham's brand new Third kit and gave each lucky fan a shirt for the match, making them the first people other than players to wear it.

However the surprises didn't stop there, as the 200 buoyant Fulham fans wearing blue and orange entered the pub, they saw Fulham legend Luis Boa Morte behind the bar pulling pints.

As chants of 'Boa Morte' rang around the pub, he had a bite to eat with the travelling Fulham faithful and posed for photos before everyone headed back to the coaches for the final leg of their 'Marathon Trip'.

To top it off, Fulham came away with three points in the bag after a narrow 1-0 victory, so for the 200 fans it was the perfect start to the 2013/14 campaign. Bring on Arsenal at home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCm2pucx0D0&feature=player_embedded#t=0

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/21/the-marathon-trip?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham to wait before discussing Mahamadou Diarra deal

Mahamadou Diarra: Free agent has been training with Fulham

Mahamadou Diarra must prove his fitness to Fulham before they will consider offering the midfielder fresh terms.

The 32-year-old was released by the Cottagers at the end of last season and has not figured for the club since suffering a knee injury in December 2012.

Diarra is yet to return to full match sharpness and remains in the free-agent pool as a result.

He has, however, been training with Fulham over the summer and could be handed a new deal at Craven Cottage if he can convince Martin Jol that he is deserving of a place in his squad.

"He is doing a lot of ball work and the warm-ups with us," the Dutch coach told the Fulham Chronicle of the former Real Madrid enforcer.

"He needs another three or four weeks before playing games with us or the reserves and then we will make a decision on him."

Meanwhile, Jol has revealed that he will look to send promising forward Chris David out on loan this season in an effort to get the 20-year-old important game time.

He said of a player who moved to England from FC Twente in January: "He's a very talented left-footer. He looks good but he needs games.

"Abroad they go into the first team at 18 or 19, but you don't see that in England.

"They go on loan, like (Alex) Kacaniklic, come back and be better. That is my idea with the youngsters, to try to find clubs for them."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8882786?

WhiteJC

Cox: Jol set to start Parker against Arsenal

Fulham rarely hit the headlines for either their on-pitch performance or their off-field antics, so it's no surprise that their summer transfer captures have hardly dominated the footballing news agenda in recent weeks.

However, quietly, Fulham have gone about their recruitment very effectively. The extent of a side's transfer dealings are often summarised by a balance sheet-style profit or loss figure, but Fulham's signings offer quality without causing a huge dent in new owner Shahid Khan's savings.

The last fortnight has turned Fulham's summer from 'decent' to 'very good'. The Cottagers seemed to be lacking numbers in midfield positions – but the signings of both Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt means they now have an impressive squad. With Derek Boateng, Fernando Amorebieta and Maarten Stekelenburg already signed, and Darren Bent providing another striking option, Fulham have done well.

Parker should be in line for his debut this weekend, and Jol has to decide who makes way – after Boateng and Steve Sidwell started together in the 1-0 win against Sunderland last weekend. There's not a huge difference between the three players stylistically – all are tenacious, energetic and committed tacklers.

Parker will expect to slot into the side immediately, however, which means one of last week's starters will drop to the bench. Although Sidwell was dismissed in this fixture last season, against one of his former sides, he'll probably remain in the team. Boateng was removed midway through a quiet Premier League debut, and Sidwell's Premier League experience will probably be favoured.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/22-08-2013/cox-jol-set-to-start-parker-against-arsenal/843326?#ixzz2clHjoWwY

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer news: Sako close to Forest switch

Fulham are in danger of losing out to Championship side Nottingham Forest in their bid to sign winger Bakary Sako from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol has been targeting Wolves player Sako all summer but the two clubs have been haggling over a fee.

Wolves wanted £4 million for the player but Fulham were not prepared to increase an initial £2.5m bid.

Now Forest could pull off a coup by stealing the player from under the Londoners' noses.

Forest have made a 100 per cent start to the season and are top of the Championship, with boss Billy Davies showing he has a squad capable of winning promotion to the Premier League.

But Davies wants to strengthen still further, despite bringing in nine players this summer - including the re-signing of former Forest defender Kelvin Wilson from Celtic.

Now he has set his sights on the flair of Sako, although - once more - the fee could prove a sticking point.

Wolves are under no pressure to sell and get Sako off the wage bill, despite going down to League One last season.

And Sako - despite a summer protest over the stalled Fulham switch - is not causing a fuss and continues to impress under Wolves boss Kenny Jackett.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/30670-fulham-transfer-news-sako-close-to-forest-switch.php

WhiteJC

Fulham v Arsenal

By Jonathan Pearce
BBC Match of the Day commentator
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 24 August

Fulham manager Martin Jol must decide whether to give ex-Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker his debut against Arsenal.
Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg injured his shoulder at Sunderland so David Stockdale is set to start.
Arsenal's Laurent Koscielny is banned after his sending off against Aston Villa last weekend.
Nacho Monreal is back in the Gunners' squad, but Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee) has joined a lengthy injury list headed by Thomas Vermaelen (back).
MATCH PREVIEW

The alarm sirens for Arsene Wenger's reign will be screeching if Arsenal lose back-to-back opening league matches for the first time since the inaugural Premier League season 21 years ago. If they surrender as meekly as they did against Villa then Fulham can record successive opening Premier League victories for the first time.

But the Gunners reminded everyone that they're not far short of being a really good team when they won handsomely at Fenerbahce in the Champions League on Wednesday. Arsene Wenger has been overly-cautious in the transfer marker so far, but some of the criticism of him has bordered on the hysterical.

Fans have rightly been frustrated that big-name signings have been mooted yet no deals have been forthcoming. But it's not Wenger's fault that Liverpool wouldn't sell Luis Suarez. The Anfield club told me last week the Uruguayan was never going to move to the Emirates.

Yohan Cabaye's smooth passing and movement would add numbers and quality to midfield, a composed defender like Ashley Williams is a must, while a consistently reliable goalkeeper like Asmir Begovic would be an improvement.

A marquee signing up front would also appease the fans - although actually the side already has plenty of potency with four players reaching double figures last season. Olivier Giroud will always be unfairly compared to Robin van Persie but his 19 goals from 49 games ratio is a decent return. He scored twice in the home game last season against Fulham, who've never won at Arsenal.

Martin Jol has significantly added bite to his midfield with the signing of Scott Parker. The loaning of Darren Bent is also sharp business.

Fulham certainly have enough quality to stay up, although they will have to end their miserable Spring slump at home where they've lost their last four games.

But Fulham's opening win at Sunderland was flattering. The home side dominated possession and had 14 shots. The Cottagers won it with their only effort.

There is also a lack of pace in key areas of Jol's side. Theo Walcott, supplied by Santi Cazorla, can exploit that. It'll be tight and tense but I can't see Arsenal being beaten again.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Three of the last five meetings between the two clubs have ended in a draw.

Fulham have won just three of 24 Premier League matches against the Gunners; all three of those wins have come at Craven Cottage.

Arsenal have won on eight of their 12 trips to Craven Cottage since Fulham were promoted to the Premier League.

There have been four red cards in the last three Premier League fixtures between the teams at Fulham.

Fulham
Fulham have lost their last four home matches dating back to last season, including April's 1-0 defeat to the Gunners. They were beaten nine times at Craven Cottage during the 2012-13 campaign - the equal-most home defeats in last season's Premier League.
The last time Fulham started a campaign with back-to-back victories was their 2000-01 promotion-winning season when they won their opening 11 fixtures.
Darren Bent has scored six goals in his last eight Premier League games against Arsenal.
Martin Jol's men have scored six of their last eight goals in the second half of matches

Arsenal
Arsenal took 19 points in London derbies last season, more than any club from the capital. Victory would see them become the first club to register 100 London derby wins in the Premier League.
Only Manchester City (34) conceded fewer goals than the Gunners (37) last season.
All 12 of Olivier Giroud's 12 Premier League goals have been scored in London (11 at the Emirates Stadium).
The Gunners have been given more Premier League red cards since the start of last season than any other side (six).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23744679?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Arsenal (12:45)

Who would have thought that Fulham would have bought more players by this stage of the season than Arsenal? They have bought well, too.

I felt the Cottagers still needed a midfielder but they have got a quality one in Scott Parker and Martin Jol's squad looks strong.

Winning at Sunderland was a great start and this will be a real test for Arsenal.

I watched the Gunners against Fenerbache in their Champions League qualifier in midweek and, although it took them until the second half to really get going, they were convincing winners.

Their home defeat to Aston Villa was a bad result but it was blown out of proportion because it was the first weekend of the season - they did not actually play that badly.

Whatever happens in this game, people are going to be talking about who Arsene Wenger could or should buy, and that will continue until the transfer window shuts.

Prediction: 1-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23784502

WhiteJC

Arsenal shouldn't underestimate Fulham on Saturday
The west London side have the potential to cause an upset on home soil

Dimitar Berbatov oozes class (©GettyImages)

Arsenal visit Fulham on Saturday for a lunchtime kick off and the North London side will have to be on song to ensure they recover from their opening day horror show.

Arsenal go into the London derby with a number of significant injuries.Thomas Vermaelen, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Mikel Arteta all are unavailable with injuries, not forgetting the the absence of Laurent Koscielny, who is banned after receiving a red card against Villa.

With these injuries and bans the Arsenal defence will have a make shift look to it, with it likely containing Gibbs, Mertesacker, Sagna and Jenkinson.

It is here that Fulham may be able to capitalise. With the likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Hugo Rodallega, Darren Bent and Bryan Ruiz, Fulham aren't short of firepower!

They have also brought in the likes of Scott Parker from Tottenham and Adel Taarabt from QPR on a season-long loan to bolster their midfield.

Arsenal are also stepping into the game with poor Premier League form. Following their 3-1 loss to Aston Villa in the opening game of the season things are looking bleak for the North London side this season.

However, with a 3-0 win midweek in the Champions League play-off first leg against Fenerbahce, spirits in the Gunners camp could well be a lot more healthier than after last Saturday's result.

Fulham go into the game in buoyant mood after beating Sunderland 1-0 in their first game of the season. Despite being largely outplayed for most of the match the west London outfit showed a clinical side to their game as they secured maximum points at the Stadium of Light.

Predicted Line-ups:

Fulham (4-4-1-1): Stekelenburg, Reither, Hangeland, Hughes, Briggs, Duff, Sidwell, Taarabt, Kacaniklic, Ruiz, Berbatov

Arsenal (4-2-3-1): Fabianski, Jenkinson, Sagna, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott, Giroud

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

http://www.givemesport.com/371514-arsenal-shouldnt-underestimate-fulham-on-saturday?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

Fulham and Crystal Palace eyeing Inter Milan's Ezequiel Schelotto

Ezequiel Schelotto: Linked with moves to Fulham & Crystal Palace

Sky Sports understands several Premier League clubs are chasing Inter Milan winger Ezequiel Schelotto.

Inter are willing to listen to offers for Schelotto as he does not figure in new coach Walter Mazzarri's plans at the San Siro.

The highly-rated 24-year-old only joined Inter last January in a €6million from Atalanta and scored his first goal for the club in last season's Milan derby.

Inter are thought to be willing to loan out Schelotto with the option to buy at the end of the loan spell.

Italian agent Augusto Carpeggiani has been given permisson by Inter to sound out interested clubs and he is thought to be speaking to several clubs about signing the pacy attacker.

The news has alerted a host of clubs across Europe with the likes of Fulham and Crystal Palace thought to be admirers of the powerful wide player.

Schelotto, who was born in Argentina, is an Italian international and he made his senior debut against England last August.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8883318?

WhiteJC

Bremen step up Riise interes

German side Werder Bremen are ready to move for Fulham full-back John Arne Riise, who has been allowed to move on as a free agent.

Riise has a year left on his contract but has revealed he will be allowed to move on if he can find a club before the transfer window closes on September 2. Bundesliga outfit Bremen were linked with the Norwegian defender earlier this month and Weser-Kurier have now reported that the German side are trying to agree a deal with Riise. The 32-year-old was a regular for the Cottagers last season but wasn't included in the squad for the opening-day victory at Sunderland as Kieran Richardson started at left-back.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/bremen-step-up-riise-interest-1620527.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham build momentum

New Fulham arrival Scott Parker could make his club debut this weekend versus Arsenal.
The talking stops and for those of us besotted with the game, the first round of matches immediately answers a number of questions. The great joy of the digital age is how social media has created this global democracy whereby everyone has the chance to express a view and provide opinions. Fulham fan sites continue to proliferate, debates rage, reputations are trashed, new heroes championed.

I like to believe content reflecting our own unique club is a cut above the rest. To my mind, we certainly have a high quotient of erudite and articulate followers spread around the globe. Nobody can question their dedication or passion for the colours, even though Fulham have repeatedly disappointed, like an unfaithful spouse, throughout history.

Results from round one suggest few radical changes to the old order in the Premiership, despite three of the top four changing managers in the summer. Manchester United remain formidable for as long as Robin van Persie stays fit. His instinctive mental capacity to sniff out chances is unsurpassed. Manchester City spent the most, and with a more steely hand on the tiller appear a juggernaut that will take some stopping. Chelsea cannot be ruled out as genuine title contenders under Jose Mourinho, still with the capacity to spend more.

But Arsenal? Fulham's summer spending-spree took a while to get going, testing the fans' patience while leaving us in the dark -- understandable with the club changing hands in early July. But the Gunners seem to have gone into hibernation. Home defeat to Aston Villa was the big shock of day one. Will it take another loss at Fulham to wake the board from their paralysis?

Let's hope we can add to the Gunners problems this week. Factors in our favour are a horribly long injury list for Arsene Wenger, plus an early kick-off Saturday lunchtime on the back of a trip to Turkey for the Champions League with Fenerbahce. At time of writing Wenger is down to one central defender in Per Mertesacker, and while Arsenal still parade a number of star names, this is a game Fulham can face without fear.

There's no team news this early in the week coming out from the boss. But so ineffective was our midfield engine at Sunderland I am certain Scott Parker will go straight into the side. Now signed to his fifth London club, even at 32 the tigerish midfielder and England international with a strong work ethic has much to offer. This at last is a combative player for the big occasion with the presence to inherit Danny Murphy's crown.

This mouth-watering derby will surely see the debut of Darren Bent up front, especially as the Arsenal are weak at the back. With our new Dutch keeper nursing his bruised shoulder for a fortnight, it's another chance for David Stockdale to press his credentials, but he was in goal the last time we beat Arsenal in January 2012 and won't let anyone down. Skipper Brede Hangeland was arguably MoM at Sunderland in negating the threat of Jozy Altidore, so the spine of the team looks impressive, should Scotty start.

Who else gets the nod and how we set up tactically will however be a test of Martin Jol's acumen. It's not going to be easy to drop either Adel Taarabt or Pajtim Kasami after that win over Sunderland. One of our U.S. sites has been promoting a very fluid line of four offensive minded players playing almost a free role behind Bent, naming Bryan Ruiz, Dimitar Berbatov, Taarabt plus one (either Ashkan Dejagah or Alex Kakaniklic). That's way too cavalier for Fulham to consider at this early stage. In recent fixtures between the clubs, Fulham have done really well to subdue Arsenal down the flanks, even last spring when we played 80 minutes with ten men. I can't ever recall Theo Walcott having a good game against us. Let's hope that trend continues this week, where Fulham, as we know, do have issues currently at left-back.

There are interesting links between our two clubs. A merger was proposed in 1913 but rejected by the FA. One Henry Norris, an enterprising and colourful character, was Fulham's chairman at the time when he then took on ownership of Woolwich Arsenal after the club went into liquidation. A former mayor of Fulham and property developer, Norris used his freemasonry and political contacts to re-locate Arsenal to a new site in North London, Woolwich was dropped from the name, Archibald Leitch, the architect behind Craven Cottage, was hired to build on the site that became Highbury, and the energetic Norris made Arsenal the first London club to go fully professional.

Once the FA told Norris he could not be chairman of two clubs, Fulham were jettisoned as Norris saw greater potential in North London. A decade later, and now knighted, he enticed Herbert Chapman down as manager -- the man who delivered up the first golden age for the Gunners with three consecutive league titles. Fulham meanwhile, charted a different course.

After one shady deal too many Norris ended his days having been banned from any association with football. He was found guilty of paying his chauffeur via club accounts and once sold the Arsenal team bus for £125 and kept the cash!

Check back later in the week as we preview Fulham's first London derby of the season with Arsenal -- always a fascinating fixture.

twitter@fulhamphil

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1243?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Fulham v Arsenal: Cottagers can inflict more woe on weary Wenger

Jaymes Monte previews Saturday's early kick-off as Fulham host Arsenal at Craven Cottage...

Fulham v Arsenal
Saturday August 24, 12:45 BST
Live on BT Sport 1

Less than 72 hours after an arduous trip across Europe to all but book their place in the Champions League group stages, Arsenal are required to line-up at Craven Cottage for a Premier League clash that even at this early stage in proceedings takes on huge significance.

It's not very often that I find myself siding with Arsene Wenger, but he has every right to feel aggrieved at the Premier League's scheduling of this one. Surely the powers that be should be doing everything they can to help English clubs prosper in European competition. Is there any logical reason why this game couldn't have been scheduled as Sunday's 16:00 televised game?

We know that every other country in Europe does their utmost to give their teams every chance in the Champions League. Why isn't it the same in England?

Match Odds
Fulham 3.9 v Arsenal 2.14; The Draw 3.55

Such has been the hysteria and overreaction to Arsenal's start to the season that their odds on winning this game have fluctuated from as low as 1.63 prior to the game against Aston Villa to a high of 2.34 as reports of potential injuries to most of the back four surfaced in the early part of this week. Following the midweek win over Fenerbahce they have now settled at a more sensible 2.14.

The hosts' price has also oscillated accordingly and at their high of 4.7 they'd certainly have been worth a bet, but their terrible record against the Gunners - three wins in the last 24 league meetings - is a stumbling block when considering a punt at the current odds of 3.9.

Given Arsenal's poor start against Villa, the inevitable strains that the midweek trip to Turkey will have had on a notably thin squad and Fulham's poor win ratio in this fixture, the draw looks to be the best bet here at odds of 3.55.

Over/Under 2.5 Goals

From what we saw against Aston Villa at the weekend and Fenerbahce in midweek, Arsenal do not have any concerns in the offensive department. Their problems lie in defence. And they are big problems.

Thomas Vermaelen is out for at least another few weeks yet, Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker are accidents waiting to happen and there is nobody in midfield to effectively protect the back four.

Villa were able to exploit the Gunners' deficiencies through Gabby Agbonlahor and Christian Benteke, Fulham also have the weaponry to do so. Although they represent a different type of threat Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent are each, in their own ways, potent goal threats.

This game has goals in it, at both ends, and the 1.88 about Over 2.5 goals is undoubtedly the best bet of this fixture.

To Score

In my weekly Sidemarket Special column I wrote about how the stars have aligned for Darren Bent to get on the scoresheet here. Not only does Bent have an extremely good record of scoring against Arsenal - six goals in his last eight Premier League appearances against the Gunners - but he has also scored on debut for Charlton, Sunderland, Aston Villa and England Under-19s throughout his career.

So long as he starts the game, as we expect he will, then the 3.6 about him scoring anytime is an absolute steal.

Cash Out

As I'm predicting a high scoring game that could end level, my best Cash Out opportunities come in the Correct Score market. The 2-2 scoreline is currently available to back at odds of 15.5 and the 3-3 draw an I'll-take-the-kids-to-Disney-land-if-it-comes-in 70.0.

Early goals could see those prices tumble, especially if Fulham take the lead, and we should get some prime opportunities to Cash Out for a guaranteed profit. But if you can hold your nerve a little longer then I'd advise waiting until half time at least, when we could be sitting on a small fortune.

Best Bet
Back Over 2.5 goals @ 1.88

Recommended Bets
Back The Draw @ 3.55
Back Darren Bent to score anytime @ 3.6

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/fulham-v-arsenal-cottagers-can-inflict-more-woe-on-weary-wenger-220813-159.html?

WhiteJC

Diarra could earn another Fulham deal
by DAN on AUGUST 23, 2013

Martin Jol says he will consider whether to offer Mahamadou Diarra a pay-as-you-play deal once the midfielder returns to full fitness.

The Malian international has not featured for Fulham since last December's 3-0 home defeat by Tottenham and the 32 year-old's contract expired in June. Diarra has been training at Motspur Park as he attempts to persuade Fulham to offer him a short-term deal and the Fulham manager hasn't ruled out the possibility despite adding Derek Boateng and Scott Parker to his midfield options over the summer.

He is doing a lot of ball work and the warm-up with us. He needs another three or four weeks before playing games with us or the reserves and then we will make a decision on him.

The former Real Madrid midfielder could feature in some of Fulham's under-21 fixtures before Jol makes a final decision on whether to extend his Craven Cottage career.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/08/diarra-could-earn-another-fulham-deal/?

WhiteJC

Bent can hit old heights at Fulham

Darren Bent can reinvigorate his career during his loan spell at Fulham, according to the striker's former manager Alan Curbishley.

Curbishley, who took Bent from Ipswich to Charlton in June 2005 and managed him for two seasons before the forward moved on to Tottenham, believes that the England international's record speaks for itself.

We all have our opinions but the statistics don't lie.Throughout his career Darren has scored close to one goal every two matches and that is impressive. Darren is an out-and-out goalscorer.

The secret is not to ask him to do things which could detract from that. I don't know what went on at Villa, maybe there was a personality clash or perhaps he couldn't get in because Christian Benteke was doing so well. When Darren was at Charlton I asked him to play on the shoulder of the last defender and not to worry too much about build-up play. We had Danny Murphy in a three-man midfield that season and he would just pick out Darren who would get right on the end of things.

Bent, who scored 31 league goals in 68 appearances at the Valley, was a surprise omission from Sven-Goran Eriksson's 2006 World Cup squad.

I was so sure he would be picked I took him off at half-time of our last game of the season at Manchester United to protect him. I was shocked when Sven-Goran Eriksson left him out of the squad.

Curbishley believes that Martin Jol has picked up a couple of considerable bargains during his transfer window business.

Martin doesn't seem to mind signing experienced players and I can see him [Bent] working really well with Dimitar Berbatov, who likes the ball to feet rather than running in behind. What with Scott Parker in midfield, Fulham have done some shrewd business and I can see them doing well this season.

Bent, who an unused substitute during Fulham's win at Sunderland last weekend, could make his debut for his new club in the London derby against Arsenal at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/08/bent-can-hit-old-heights-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on Inter winger

Fulham and Crystal Palace are both preparing to offer Ezequiel Schelotto an opportunity to end his nightmare spell at Inter Milan with a move to the Premier League.

New coach Walter Mazzarri left the Italian international out of Inter's pre-season tour to America and has told the 24 year-old that he is free to look for another club, despite only joining the Nerazzurri in January. The winger struggled to live up to the £5m that Inter paid Atalanta for his signature, despite scoring in the Milan derby, and the 24 year-old, who made his international debut against England last August, would be available on loan, with an option for a permanent transfer.

Martin Jol is a long-term admirer of Schelotto and Fulham were heavily linked with the winger in January before his move to Inter. Both Fulham and Palace will face stiff competition from a number of European clubs, according to reports from Italy.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/08/fulham-keen-on-inter-winger/?