watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Initial Reaction - Fulham Chronicles

Started by ChesterTheTabby, August 24, 2013, 02:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

Hey lads, I am starting a new series of football writing on my buds sports website FootballandFutbol. The site is dedicated to the NFL and EPL with new articles everyday. As I diehard lifelong Fulham fan and member of the faithful, I decided to begin a series called The Fulham Chronicles, basically I write during and just after each Fulham match and just let my emotions go. The good thing - It's therapeutic and I don't yell at my screen, the bad - some of my quick comments and writings will be horribly biased and subjective due to it being written during the live coverage. I would write more in depth articles, but I do not have much time on my hands to do so, so this will have to suffice. Let me know what you think and feel free to completely butcher me. I know this will not be perfect, and maybe not even correct at all when we relax from the game and reflect, but it is just for fun!
- Mike

FULHAM CHRONICLES
Fulham v Arsenal 24 AUG 13

Fulham kicked off their home games of the 2013/14 Barclays English Premier League campaign in a rainy London Derby defeat to Arsenal. The defeat was marked with reminders of last season –depression, desperation, and poor offensive displays. The question to ask is how in the world can Martin Jol continue to play with the same formation that failed last year. To put it simply Fulham are like a broken fence that after last season survive but at times barely stood upright. This summer Jol did some decent business in the transfer window with the addition of Adel Taarabt, Scott Parker, Derek Boateng, Fernando Amborieta, and Darren Bent. I thought we had possibly fixed some of the glaring issues that were realized at the end of the 12/13 campaign. Did we? No. By continuing to play the same formation with one striker up top, we have simply painted over the broken fence in order to give the façade that it has been repaired, but it has not.
Throughout the game Arsenal were by far the better and more organized side, showing the world that their shock 3-1 home defeat to Aston Villa was a fluke with a calm, cool, and collected 3-0 win overseas against Turkish side Fernebache. Similarly, from the get go at Craven Cottage the Gunners released volley after volley against Fulham, battering them into a defensive posture until the halftime whistle where the Arsenal lead 2-0 thanks to goals from Oliver Giroud and Lucas Podolski.
One shining light in a day of gloomy play for Fulham was Adel Taarabt. Taarabt is able to provide the creativity and forward drive that Fulham fans have desired for a long time – yet, as said earlier, if the formation is not changed Adel cannot apply all of his qualities. In the second half Adel started brightly, stretching the Arsenal defense and opening up Fulham's few chances at goal. After this opening, however, Arsenal reasserted their dominance and sliced through the Fulham defense at times like a hot knife through butter. During such eloquent displays from the Gunners, I was finding myself saying 'it's just too easy' out loud. As expected, on the 60th minute Darren Bent was brought on for Damien Duff, hoping to provide the much needed firepower for a lack luster Fulham offense. What happened was a goal from Darren Bent, yet not before another Lucas Podolski goal, scoring Arsenal's third and final goal of the game. The final 30 minutes of the second half was the only real time where Fulham showed some life in their game and sprightliness in their play, yet, it was not good enough. A poor start to the game was what caused such a poor result, and a start that was far too difficult to overcome.
In one word Fulham's game was pathetic. Only upon the introduction of Darren Bent was a Fulham goal scored, proving his worth and the quality he brings in a striking partnership with Dimitar Berbatov. Jol must learn from his poor management and team selection this game, and continue to play Tarrabt and Bent and develop players such as Alexander Kacaniklic if Fulham are to win more games and stay clear of relegation. Too often have commenters throughout the past two seasons used phrases like "nothing has come from Fulham", "Fulham have been completely out played", etc. As a diehard fan, I am absolutely disgusted and sick of watching my Fulham play as if they were forced to be on the pitch at gun point rather than out of passion and motivation. Things need to change immediately – formation, tempo, and quite possibly manager. Martin Jol's inability to adapt and change his squad to achieve at least a high level of quality performances from his team will make Fulham contenders for relegation. I know that the season has just started, but after a fluke 1-0 win at Sunderland where only one real chance on goal luckily went in, and the absolute thrashing suffered at home 3-1 to Arsenal, a depressed fan can only imagine the difficulties ahead for his team.
Fulham need to shape up immediately, or this season could be a long and potentially fatal one for Fulham's survival in the Premier League.
PROS:
-   Scott Parker provides an excellent passing outlet and his calm under pressure
-   Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov could prove to be a great forward pairing
-   Sascha Reither was as good as always with excellent crossing into the Arsenal box.
-   Adel Taarabt looks to be the creativity Fulham have been missing.
CONS
-   Same defensive formation began the game that does not work with Fulham's chemistry
-   Martin Jol continued to use one striker, limiting if not completely eroding Fulham's attacking power.
-   Poor organization and use of players
-   Not enough high tempo, offensive play.
-   Rarely put Arsenal on the back foot except for the final 15-20 minutes.

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"