watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In fairness to Jol

Started by JackyFulham90, August 26, 2013, 12:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

We were quite poor defensively against Arsenal but they are a very good team. Jols prefered back 5 is
Stekelenburg
Riether Hangeland Amorebieta Richardson

Only Riether & Hangeland played out of them 5.

Getting Stekelenburg & Amorebieta back fit & Bent & Parker settled will see us be a far better team

Big Martin Jol

I agree. We're yet to put out what we think is our strongest team, particularly with regards to defence.

Also, people seem to think that you can buy five or six new first team players and see instant results. They're not going to be fully integrated after two league games - it will take a little time to get the best out of what we have.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

SuffolkWhite

Have always said, judge by results generally after ten games and we will have an idea where we are. I hoped we would win our first two games but tbh if we had drawn at Sunderland and at home to Arse then I would have been happy with two pts!

The team needs time to gel and three pts from two games is ok.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Brown@FFC

It's not Jols fault for the injuries, and on their day, arsenal are very hard to beat. But it's the poor football that is annoying. The football is the reason I'm calling for Jol to change it or go.

Holders

I'm a patient bloke, grateful for mid-table mediocrity and I'm not calling for Jol's head but the point I would make is that, not just this game, but even when we have played Jol's preferred defensive line-up, we look shaky and vulnerable compared to the Roy days.

I really would like to know how the coaching differs in that respect, how most of the same players (last season at least) have forgotten the drilling and discipline they had under Roy and why our structure should have gone so far downhill. Surely when there's a change of management, the new manager builds on what was there before - not throw it out of the window?

If I can see it I've no doubt that the players can and Senderos has spoken out about it.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

I made the point about our defence  before the match. During the game I have to say I was pleased with the way we went forward although plenty of room for improvement. So there are signs of a good team coming. But there will always be doubts over Jol because he does make odd tactical choices. I am not sure how often we have to say the same thing about Berbatov being a loan striker. Not sure how often we have to say the same thing about the gaps in midfield. Our tactiacl policy seems to be all or nothing.

I am sure when we have players fit and well we will do well. This will be Jols side. Still to be convinced Jol can bring out the best out of his team. But the early signs are not that bad.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on August 26, 2013, 12:22:53 AM
We were quite poor defensively against Arsenal but they are a very good team. Jols prefered back 5 is
Stekelenburg

Getting Stekelenburg & Amorebieta back fit & Bent & Parker settled will see us be a far better team

Don't make excuses for him, he can think up his own without your help

Holders

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 26, 2013, 10:36:07 AM
I made the point about our defence  before the match. During the game I have to say I was pleased with the way we went forward although plenty of room for improvement. So there are signs of a good team coming. But there will always be doubts over Jol because he does make odd tactical choices. I am not sure how often we have to say the same thing about Berbatov being a loan striker. Not sure how often we have to say the same thing about the gaps in midfield. Our tactiacl policy seems to be all or nothing.

I am sure when we have players fit and well we will do well. This will be Jols side. Still to be convinced Jol can bring out the best out of his team. But the early signs are not that bad.

I'd like to think that there is a plan and, as you say, there are some promising signs to be seen. I just question the quality of coaching, particularly defensively. Without good coaching no-one will bring out the best, even if the players are right. It can't be left to accident on a Saturday, it has to be done on the training pitch.

Bryanthebroom

I agree, but I also think that Jol has BIG problems when it comes to integrating all of these players into a team; we're so imbalanced with Berbs/Bent/Taarabt and Ruiz - you can see why Jol might have splashed out on a solid defensive 32 year old in Scott Parker.  

It's difficult integrating any two of these so-called "luxury" players into a starting XI - never mind three or four!

I sympathise with how the problem has come about; Jol bought Ruiz first, then couldn't turn down Berbatov at such a low price - nor such quality as Taarabt and Bent on loan. But it's obvious that Jol has signed all of these players for their individual qualities - not considering how they will fit into our team as a whole.

Good luck Mr Jol, time to prove your worth as a tactician.

Holders

Start by drilling them to work as a unit.

epsomraver

Good luck Mr Jol, time to prove your worth as a tactician. 064.gif 064.gif 064.gif

Vermeer

Roy did indeed build a machine like team. The team plan and work ethic was everything. Each player was given a very clear job to fulfill, to not fall short of and also limits not to exceed. Drilled with huge repetition apparently. His squad seemed to be of one mind and the consistency was superb. Personally I never got bored and loved all the clean sheets we kept. This is Jol's crunch season when he must bring some real team spirit and cohesion to this motley crew. Hard graft required

the nutflush

Quote from: epsomraver on August 26, 2013, 10:38:59 AM
Stekelenburg

Theres something drastically wrong when Richardson is part of your preferred back five. 

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: the nutflush on August 26, 2013, 11:50:35 AM
Quote from: epsomraver on August 26, 2013, 10:38:59 AM
Stekelenburg

Theres something drastically wrong when Richardson is part of your preferred back five. 

When fit he's pretty good. I think Jol was hoping he wouldn't have to spend on a left back. Now we shall see whether he thinks he has to spend or whether he feels Riise, Briggs and the makeshift left back Amorebieta will be sufficient.

the nutflush

Quote from: Holders on August 26, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

They need to be flogged on the training track until it becomes second nature by someone who doesnt pander to egos and players throwing their toys out the cot because they arent getting time on the pitch.  My ideal manager....Guus Hiddink.  If he came in to take charge the whole squad wouldnt know what hit em.  

JackyFulham90

Maybe but Richardson is better than Riise, Stekelenburg & Amorebieta will improve us massively

Holders

Quote from: the nutflush on August 26, 2013, 11:56:04 AM
Quote from: Holders on August 26, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

They need to be flogged on the training track until it becomes second nature by someone who doesnt pander to egos and players throwing their toys out the cot because they arent getting time on the pitch.  My ideal manager....Guus Hiddink.  If he came in to take charge the whole squad wouldnt know what hit em. 

I'd rather they did know what hit them so that they can heed it.

Vermeer

Andy S

Again I'll say it we have had two games. Sunderland away where a lot of teams will get nothing and Arsenal at home again a lot of teams will get nothing as we did. Even Newcastle away is not going to be a walkover. Lets take it easy and watch the season unfold