News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WHY are we so bloody quiet at the cottage?????

Started by terryr, August 26, 2013, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birmingham White

I thought the atmosphere was really poor on Saturday especially as it was our first home game & we won last week. I don't understand why the back of the Hammy End was so quiet. I don't sit near the back but join in (with others around me) when they start the songs. I think the atmosphere has been getting steadily worse at CC and yet you can guarantee every man and his dog will be singing at Burton. We need the Hammy End to generate more noise because it helps us wins games and we have lost our last 5 at home. COYW's!!!

MJG

We have never been a loud crowd. We have had our moments but in general its bit of 'come on fulham' and thats it. Its just the style of fulham.
BUT its also a reflection of what we eee on the pitch.under Roy in europe we seemed to raise our game and hence the crowd joined in.the lge was dull.
The city game when we drew 2-2 the crowd was great, but again partly inspired by the team as well.
As a team we are on five home defeats in a row. There is tension about Jol. We are poor and dull in many ways at the moment.not much to get us cheering.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

fulhams_finest

To add to my previous comments I also think it was a poor show that we didnt show Mohammed al Fayed more love for his reign over the club throughout the game

cottage cheese

Again why oh why do people care about others? We have this thread every bloody year and every year the answer is the same...PEOPLE CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.

ScalleysDad

Yes it is acoustics and numbers and whats on show. But lots of factors come into play as well. We had at least sixty Japanese tourists behind us, several rows of Gooners and the usual numbers that could not match the number on a ticket with a number on a seat. The away fans invariably get away with standing up and that immediately generates more atmosphere and noise. We stand up and the sleepy, useless security stewards are up like a shot. The Putney end full of 'home' fans was awesome.

Alan

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on August 26, 2013, 06:29:30 PM
Most teams have better vocal support away, as you usually get the more 'hardcore' fans who travel and when you are away all your support is in one area as opposed to being on 3 sides at home, also going 2-0 down didn't help

Exactly. We out sung The Arsenal at Ashburton Grove last season...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

Lighthouse

When 20 people travel away with Fulham, we can usually hear them. Fact is when the home fans have very little to sing about the away fans can usually out sing them. I have been to many away games when the away support made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as if they still believed. The Cottage can be an enclosed couldron of home noise, at least in the old days. But frankly what happens on the stage needs to be the trigger for the audience.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Huxley

Doesn't help that most of the well known/crowd favourite chants are redundant as they involve al fayed, the pog, dempsey, dembele, Aj, Zamora etc Duff wasn't doing anything of note to warrant a spontaneous Duff chant. Off teh starting line up, Kasami, Tarbat, Sidwell, Parker, Riise, Hughes, Reither, Stockdale do not have a chant that I can think off.

Enter the Frei

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 26, 2013, 07:41:20 PM
Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on August 26, 2013, 06:29:52 PM
The supporters, as a group, are pretty poor. The only real atmosphere is the back of the Hammersmith. I don't think I can blame the acoustics because the Europa League run was amazing for it's atmosphere. Noise needs to come from all four corners, which it's doing.

European games the Putney End was "home" supporters, away fans were restricted to part of the Johnny Haynes, acoustics do make a difference

I've always wondered why we can't do this for league games. I think it makes quite a big difference not giving the away team a set of away fans to attack.

Jack Fulham

Personally, I don't sing much as I don't like to disturb the rowing club.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Enter the Frei on August 26, 2013, 11:57:06 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on August 26, 2013, 07:41:20 PM
Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on August 26, 2013, 06:29:52 PM
The supporters, as a group, are pretty poor. The only real atmosphere is the back of the Hammersmith. I don't think I can blame the acoustics because the Europa League run was amazing for it's atmosphere. Noise needs to come from all four corners, which it's doing.

European games the Putney End was "home" supporters, away fans were restricted to part of the Johnny Haynes, acoustics do make a difference

I've always wondered why we can't do this for league games. I think it makes quite a big difference not giving the away team a set of away fans to attack.

I guess a lot of season ticket holders would have to move and as shown by this new tv gantry, that doesn't go down well. The atmosphere for Juve and Hamburg was crazy though. I remember going to an FA Cup game at the Cottage aginst Peterborough once and I don't think I heard a Fulham chant all game. Nothing will change however much we moan. We sing when it matters. Though every game matters ;-)

Putney

The one thing I can't understand about English fan culture is why a new chant has to be about a player. Players only have a limited spell at the club and therefore their chant becomes redundant when they leave. Instead of creating a chant for a player who has played a handful of games, why don't fans sing about their club who will be there long after the player has gone? The atmosphere at English games is appalling. It's not necessarily Fulham who are bad, 99% of clubs are the same. The only thing I enjoy about the atmosphere at games is when it's very late in the game, Fulham are chasing the lead and we collect the ball on the edge of our own area, the roar from the crowd cannot be topped.

chiefo

Its funny as a youngster I had no inhibitions and sang and shouted at any opportune moment, but sadly today I have people who will look as if the two heads are on display when I get involved, and believe me I do try and carry on, but am left on my todd. Feel like a spare at the wedding. And this for me takes the fun out of it, so away for me if I can!

alfie

I guess it comes down to that favourite old saying

"you only sing when your winning"

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

SP

Funny you raise this old chestnut.  Walking through Bishops Park on Saturday I had the misfortune to hear a Glaswegian 'lady' telling everyone how it was weird there weren't Fulham fans marching in unison to the game like back home.  If this were Glasgow, there'd be banners erected all along the park & stalls setting up, blah blah blah.  All that stuff seems to suit them I'm sure but has never been the Fulham way.  I'm sure things will change if we continue to grow at the current rate, but, personally, I perfectly happy with the Fulham package as is.

JBH

It is because there are to many supporters spending time moaning instead of getting behind the team 065.gif

King_Crud

Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 27, 2013, 12:22:13 AM
Personally, I don't sing much as I don't like to disturb the rowing club.

my mouth is always too full of prawns sandwiches or chablis

terryr

Ok well some people say " shut up I will support the team the way I want".
Yes you can but that ignores the fact that your support helps the boys and really you can get the same experience watching on TV.
Others say " we only cheer when we are winning"
That makes you a crap fan in my book- go support Chelsea or ManU
Others say its the "toffs and tourists"
So the away fans don't cheer because they're intimidated by toffs? Blaming it on others is pathetic. as for tourists.....I bet they would heartily join in and you may be gaining the club a new fan.
I can't really expect this to change but people should realize that we are negating the one advantage a team is supposed to have playing at home. I' m not going to bother on this anymore but will close in saying  that maybe inspiring the players  with vocal support might produce play further inspiring more singing and chanting.
But maybe you all enjoy sitting and watching the away fans chanting and singing making their team feel totally at home and inspired to hand us our heads in "our house" if so then stop bitching about our state of play at home

Jack Fulham

Quote from: TerryR on August 27, 2013, 10:06:57 AM
Ok well some people say " shut up I will support the team the way I want".
Yes you can but that ignores the fact that your support helps the boys and really you can get the same experience watching on TV.
Others say " we only cheer when we are winning"
That makes you a crap fan in my book- go support Chelsea or ManU
Others say its the "toffs and tourists"
So the away fans don't cheer because they're intimidated by toffs? Blaming it on others is pathetic. as for tourists.....I bet they would heartily join in and you may be gaining the club a new fan.
I can't really expect this to change but people should realize that we are negating the one advantage a team is supposed to have playing at home. I' m not going to bother on this anymore but will close in saying  that maybe inspiring the players  with vocal support might produce play further inspiring more singing and chanting.
But maybe you all enjoy sitting and watching the away fans chanting and singing making their team feel totally at home and inspired to hand us our heads in "our house" if so then stop bitching about our state of play at home

I know chanting can help a bit on occassions but Jol and the players are responsible for the state of our play at home. Fans have a right to bitch or criticise regardless of whether they have to chant or not.

FFCByTheRiver

Think it's a bit of a vicious cycle -

Noise made from Hammy doesn't really get heard, so people don't join in, self-consciousness kicks in and those singing stop.

I do think that getting people to join in relies on sustainable noise - stupid as it sounds noone wants to hear themselves singing for a prolonged period, they want to hear the people around them drown them out! I'm not too embarrassed to say that's the problem with where I sit (H4 Row G).

Solutions include relocating the singing area (perhaps more centrally in the Hammy?)/ Preventing the loss of Hammy End noise out the back/ an initiative designed to get all fans interested in making noise in the same area. Preferably all of these.

As far as the argument goes about fans and their choice to sing - I agree with both sides. People should be allowed to not have to worry about this, and these people should be sitting in the Riverside, JH or Putney. The Hammy should really be for the more vocal crowd, who particularly in the second half should make noise in an attempt to 'suck the ball' towards the goal. It's a real phenomenon, honest!

We were good at home vs QPR last year though. So it can be done.

P.S - This is something I'm very naive about but where do songs come from!? I presume Away games - I don't get to enough of them. But I think that creating new chants is an area we as fans need to be more proactive in, especially as we've lost so many good ones recently!