News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz penalty if you haven't seen it!!

Started by Artful Dodger, August 28, 2013, 08:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberty

Never let the truth get in the way of a good argument
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

nose

Quote from: RaySmith on August 28, 2013, 03:57:14 PM
All the stats  will say is - ' Ruiz, 1 goal, penalty aet.'

The ball ended up legally in the back of the net, and was thus a successful penalty.

yeah, i think the thread is all a bit to serious including me! but ruiz didn't score that is what worries me. he hit the post it cam out away from the goa and went in off the goalkeeprs backside. I saw it live, with my own eyes. i am struggling to understand how that is hitting the target. in the eyes of the dubious goals panel (bless them) I think it would be classed OG, wouldn't it?

I could have sworn ruiz did not manage to place the ball inside the posts at all, did i miss something?

nose

Quote from: Roberty on August 28, 2013, 03:59:57 PM
Never let the truth get in the way of a good argument

I am overly involved in this argument and believe me it isn't a good argument.... there are people that acually think ruiz managed to score despite the evidence of their eyes which shows him hit the post and the ball deflecting in off the goalkeepers backside. therefore a mega fluke (I am pleased it went our way believe me) but how does anybody think missing, even if it is by a whiskier is the same as actually putting between the posts.
I keep saying reither hot the post when the goal was easier to score, he missed, thae fact half an inch the other way would have made it OK, he missed too.

The ruiz penalty was a fluke, end of, it isn't an argument it is a fact. Ruiz failed to hit the target.not a scapegoat, a fact.

sorry to go on, i can't help it. if people say black is white I have to respond I am programmed so to do.

The King

Quote from: nose on August 28, 2013, 02:23:41 PMthe goal was one of the great flukes and no doubt will appear on many 'worst of vidoes'

Yes, without a doubt. Do you remember that freekick against Everton? He is so bad he only hit the crossbar and it had to go in off Howard. What a fluke as well. He must be the worst player the world ever has seen and will be the number one on future Bleacher Report 'Worst EPL Player Ever' lists. Much like Dempsey against Stoke when he hit the crossbar and it went it off Begovic. What a poor player he is as well, Fulham are really the most fluke team in the world and will no doubt be relegated to the Conference next season.

cookieg

Have FIFA changed how a penalty is scored and only those that are perfectly placed count? Because I have checked the score and it says that Ruiz scored. I don't care how they go in, off of whose backside or who scored it - they all count. Ruiz is being slaughtered for scoring a goal, what will be held against him next?? If that goal had won us the FA Cup would you still whinge??

Roberty

The record will always show that Bryan scored the penalty - the reason being that it went into the goal.
The Riether shot will not be recorded as score - the reason being that it did not go into the goal.

It was a fluke for sure and I am sure we are all thankful for that
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

nose

Quote from: The King on August 28, 2013, 04:13:09 PM
Quote from: nose on August 28, 2013, 02:23:41 PMthe goal was one of the great flukes and no doubt will appear on many 'worst of vidoes'

Yes, without a doubt. Do you remember that freekick against Everton? He is so bad he only hit the crossbar and it had to go in off Howard. What a fluke as well. He must be the worst player the world ever has seen and will be the number one on future Bleacher Report 'Worst EPL Player Ever' lists. Much like Dempsey against Stoke when he hit the crossbar and it went it off Begovic. What a poor player he is as well, Fulham are really the most fluke team in the world and will no doubt be relegated to the Conference next season.

i take it all in good humour.
a fluke is a fluke whether you are the best or worst player in the world.

Count Berbatov

Fellas, this was all intentional and planned to embarrass the keeper, coming off his back side. Master stroke
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

nose

Quote from: cookieg on August 28, 2013, 04:22:02 PM
Have FIFA changed how a penalty is scored and only those that are perfectly placed count? Because I have checked the score and it says that Ruiz scored. I don't care how they go in, off of whose backside or who scored it - they all count. Ruiz is being slaughtered for scoring a goal, what will be held against him next?? If that goal had won us the FA Cup would you still whinge??

I apologies i cannot help myself so forgive me for one last comment
In the dubious goals rule, if the ball is heading into the goal when it is deflected then the goal is credited to the person who first hit the ball BUT if the ball was not on target when it was struck and it deflectsd in then the person the deflects the ball is credited with the goal. Hence the ruiz penalty surely was an OG because the ball was travelling away from the goal whenit hit his backside. It is a matter of fact ruiz did not score, it was never going in until the delection, that is the fact.
I cannot understand why anybody distbutes or says other than what you can see on this very post with your very own eyes.

I apologise for going on I promise I am now finished on this tiopic

Holders

Perhaps as well as goal-line technology we need a snickometer in football so that balls that enter the net having touched the woodwork can be ruled out.

Nine times out of ten he'll place them just inside the post or in off it. This one occasion was an exception but that does not make him a bad penalty-taker because he didn't put it plumb between the posts so that the keeper had maximum chance of getting to it.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

valdeingruo

Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Lighthouse

Ruiz or Riise? Ruiz places the penalty and it goes in off the post and bum. But Riise just closes his eyes and hits it down the middle every time. If I was a keeper I know which one I would want to try and face.

Bliimin Riise scored but just by hitting it hard. *

* Will this do as an argument -  seems as tenuous and the Ruiz penalty speculation.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Artful Dodger

Nose, I am with you on this one. The record books should say, Keeper OG, not Ruiz Penalty, therefore Ruiz didn't score, we just got the biggest slice of luck I have ever seen in a penalty shoot out (except when a shot hit the bar, the keeper ran off celebrating and the ball spun slowly back in to the net)!!

Not that I am that bothered of course, just relieved we won. However, I wouldn't judge the value of Ruiz on ine penalty but his overall worth to the team and that is another debate in itself (and I would start it with he would look good if we had a manager who knew what to do with him).
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

nose

Quote from: Artful Dodger on August 28, 2013, 05:18:12 PM
Nose, I am with you on this one. The record books should say, Keeper OG, not Ruiz Penalty, therefore Ruiz didn't score, we just got the biggest slice of luck I have ever seen in a penalty shoot out (except when a shot hit the bar, the keeper ran off celebrating and the ball spun slowly back in to the net)!!

Not that I am that bothered of course, just relieved we won. However, I wouldn't judge the value of Ruiz on ine penalty but his overall worth to the team and that is another debate in itself (and I would start it with he would look good if we had a manager who knew what to do with him).

i am not discussing the ruiz pen again i said i wouldn't but last night i also remembered the same incident you mention in your first para... that surely was the most bizarre penalty ever, if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes i would never have thought it possible... and the reaction of the players as the mood changes so suddenly in both camps is an amazing thing to see.

cookieg

Not sure about an OG but the goalkeeper should certainly be credited with an arse-sist.