News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz penalty if you haven't seen it!!

Started by Artful Dodger, August 28, 2013, 08:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artful Dodger

Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Holders

It was actually one inch away from being a great penalty.

The ironic thing is that it was going out until it hit the keeper.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

aFFCn_Fan

He could probably feel quite smug about that
@hincharoo

Fulham1959

Burt

If it had been an inch further in and gone straight in off the post, it would be a case of "superb penalty".

Such are the tight margins between skill and luck.

Roberty

To paraphrase what Napoleon Bonaparte said

We know he's a good player but thankfully he's lucky
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

cmg

It's a long time since I last played billiards - but don't you get 3 points for one of them?

nose

It is a terrible penalty!
It could have cost us the game, he missed the target from 10 yards, we scored with a fluke.
A player of ruiz's 'supposed' quality should be capable of doing what all five of the burton players manged to do, and that is get it on target!
Thankfully a poorer attempt and splendid save from stockdale meant we went through but Ruiz surely should never take another spot kick!

Holders

I respectfully disagree, he's a good penalty taker and if it had been half an inch to the left people would have been raving about it.

Roberty

Quote from: nose on August 28, 2013, 11:39:23 AM
It could have cost us the game, he missed the target from 10 yards, we scored with a fluke.
A player of ruiz's 'supposed' quality should be capable of doing what all five of the burton players manged to do, and that is get it on target!
Thankfully a poorer attempt and splendid save from stockdale meant we went through but Ruiz surely should never take another spot kick!

Maybe he was just showing off?
He did what all of the Burton players didn't do - score
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rhyspabsolom

I don't think you understand about penalties.

Burt

Jimpav

Ruiz was as lucky but its the keeper who had the biggest shocker.

nose

Quote from: Roberty on August 28, 2013, 11:54:23 AM

I know you are being light hearted BUT he didn't score,
the goalkeeper scored,
ruiz missed the target,
every burton player hit the target....
the goal was one of the great flukes and no doubt will appear on many 'worst of vidoes'

Fulham1959

Quote from: nose on August 28, 2013, 02:23:41 PM

the goalkeeper scored,
ruiz missed the target,
the goal was one of the great flukes and no doubt will appear on many 'worst of vidoes'

To my knowledge, and I thought every football fan's, it is 12 yards at the shortest distance.

So, Ruiz is the first Premiership footballer or international player not to hit the target from a penalty kick, then ?  Every penalty kick is a lottery of a sort  -  though heavily weighted in favour of the kicker  -  and long may it continue that way.

nose

Quote from: Fulham1959 on August 28, 2013, 02:37:58 PM

the goalkeeper scored,
ruiz missed the target,

To my knowledge, and I thought every football fan's, it is 12 yards at the shortest distance.

So, Ruiz is the first Premiership footballer or international player not to hit the target from a penalty kick, then ?  Every penalty kick is a lottery of a sort  -  though heavily weighted in favour of the kicker  -  and long may it continue that way.

Oh yeah 12 yards!! Well spotted!!!!  Maybe they should let him go a bit closer
other players miss, of course they do, elven Blake missed one and he was the best penalty taker I ever saw (though berba runs him close)
My  point is that ruiz is endlessly discussed for his value to the team, a player of his supposed ability should have buried the ball in the top corner but he chose to be clever clever and place it low and failed.... it is indicative of his whole value. Rodders, a far less gifted player came on and thumped his in as hard as he could....
and ruiz failed to clear a simple ball that lead to a burton goal, he wanted to fanny about doing something intricate and clever when the big boot was required.... but for the price tag he would be on loan at wycombe wanderers or similar.

Holders

Quote from: nose on August 28, 2013, 03:05:28 PM

the goalkeeper scored,
ruiz missed the target,

So, Ruiz is the first Premiership footballer or international player not to hit the target from a penalty kick, then ?  Every penalty kick is a lottery of a sort  -  though heavily weighted in favour of the kicker  -  and long may it continue that way.

Oh yeah 12 yards!! Well spotted!!!!  Maybe they should let him go a bit closer
other players miss, of course they do, elven Blake missed one and he was the best penalty taker I ever saw (though berba runs him close)
My  point is that ruiz is endlessly discussed for his value to the team, a player of his supposed ability should have buried the ball in the top corner but he chose to be clever clever and place it low and failed.... it is indicative of his whole value. Rodders, a far less gifted player came on and thumped his in as hard as he could....
and ruiz failed to clear a simple ball that lead to a burton goal, he wanted to fanny about doing something intricate and clever when the big boot was required.... but for the price tag he would be on loan at wycombe wanderers or similar.

If you've chosen Ruiz to be scapegoat over a penalty that he scored which, if half an inch to the left would have been a great one, then there's nothing that anyone can say to convince you otherwise.

nose

Quote from: Holders on August 28, 2013, 03:11:38 PM
Quote from: nose on August 28, 2013, 03:05:28 PM

the goalkeeper scored,
ruiz missed the target,

So, Ruiz is the first Premiership footballer or international player not to hit the target from a penalty kick, then ?  Every penalty kick is a lottery of a sort  -  though heavily weighted in favour of the kicker  -  and long may it continue that way.

Oh yeah 12 yards!! Well spotted!!!!  Maybe they should let him go a bit closer
My  point is that ruiz is endlessly discussed for his value to the team, a player of his supposed ability should have buried the ball in the top corner but he chose to be clever clever and place it low and failed.... it is indicative of his whole value. Rodders, a far less gifted player came on and thumped his in as hard as he could....

If you've chosen Ruiz to be scapegoat over a penalty that he scored which, if half an inch to the left would have been a great one, then there's nothing that anyone can say to convince you otherwise.

He isn't a scapegoat he actually missed, the ball hit the post and came back, away from the goal, that means he missed! The fact it subsequently hit the goalkeeprs backside was lucky for us but nothing to do with him, it would be credited as an own goal I believe!
Not scapegoat, that would mean he was being unfairly singled out, but misser of the a penalty kick, it struck the post and came out, if the goalkeeper would have been awake he would have caught it.
IT was a miss no more no less!

reitheralso  hit the post when he had an open goal in front of him.... he missed too no more no less, half an inch and he would have saved the day! But reither was in free play , ruiz was a deadball and we got lucky.

RaySmith

All the stats  will say is - ' Ruiz, 1 goal, penalty aet.'

The ball ended up legally in the back of the net, and was thus a successful penalty.