https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Neck and Neck

Started by sunburywhite, August 28, 2013, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nutflush

How about taking more
Quote from: RaySmith on August 29, 2013, 12:05:29 PM
Yes it was - a very good away win on our first game of the season at a difficult place.

There are other qualities in football besides  scoring goals - and this a very good defensive performan
Quote from: RaySmith on August 29, 2013, 12:05:29 PM
Yes it was - a very good away win on our first game of the season at a difficult place.

There are other qualities in football besides  scoring goals - and this a very good defensive performance.

How about taking more than three shots?  If you enjoyed watching that then may I suggest you read "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich"  A jolly read. 

TonyGilroy

We played defensively at Sunderland and won but gave it a go against Arsenal yet lost.

Sunderland made me very happy. Arsenal less so.

the nutflush

We only played defen
Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 29, 2013, 12:16:24 PM

We played defensively at Sunderland and won but gave it a go against Arsenal yet lost.

Sunderland made me very happy. Arsenal les
Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 29, 2013, 12:16:24 PM

Sunderland made me very happy. Arsenal less so.

We only played defensively at Sunderland because we weren't good enough to get the ball off them.  Gees if we go out there with the intent to "play defensively" we might as well not turn up.

jarv

Jol....plus points (there are not many) I think the players he has brought in make the squad (on paper) look quite good. It takes time to gel and I also think Bent and Parker will be the team's saviour this season. Time will tell.

Nothing will happen until at least November to see where we are in the table. If near the bottom, Jol on thin ice.

Performances so far....abysmal. Very limp display against Arsenal. Fulham had their moments but to get caught on the break so often is chapter one in the coaching manual....how to defend against fast breaks. I guess chapter two is how to defend corners and free kicks.

Roy got this part of the game dead right. The football wasn't always the best on show but somehow it was mostly very entertaining. Fulham never used to ship 3 goals or more. A regular occurance under Jol.

I have never been convinced about his managerial and coaching skills but we do have a good team, better than at least 6 others so time wil tell.

If Newcastle is a bad performance and a loss, this board will light up. 090.gif

TonyGilroy

We only played defensively at Sunderland because we weren't good enough to get the ball off them.  Gees if we go out there with the intent to "play defensively" we might as well not turn up.
[/quote]

That's a big assumption. Most teams go away aiming to be tight and get a result without bothering about entertaining the crowd.

Jol said we were hoping for a draw and that's the solid defensive performance I saw.

For some people he really is damned whatever. Get the result and the performance somehow wasn't attractive enough. Lose and there can be no mitigation.

the nutflush

It was an absolute fluke that result.  It wasnt Jols planning.  I reckon it was one of the worst performances ever from a side that got three points. 

TonyGilroy

Quote from: the nutflush on August 29, 2013, 12:53:47 PM
It was an absolute fluke that result.  It wasnt Jols planning.  I reckon it was one of the worst performances ever from a side that got three points. 

I was there.

I saw a solid defensive display against a team going at us but unable to get through. Sunderland huffed and puffed but created very little.

Luck that we won perhaps but not conceding was down to our defensive strength and organisation.

No way of course that Jol can be given any credit.

Berserker

I loved being at Sunderland, so glad we beat them, so glad we got one over on DiCanio, made my flipping day and holiday in Edinburgh, plus Simon Munnery helped with the latter and Stewart Lee smiling at me
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Roberty

It was an absolute fluke that result.  It wasnt Jols planning.  I reckon it was one of the worst performances ever from a side that got three points.  

Is it your intention that a fluky goal should be disallowed?

Would you be happy it were a brilliant performance for no points?

That is such a brilliant idea - beautiful football and relegation.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

the nutflush

Quote from: Roberty on August 29, 2013, 01:07:04 PM

Is it your intention that a fluky goal should be disallowed?

Would you be happy it were a brilliant performance for no points?

That is such a brilliant idea - beautiful football and relegation.
[/quote

fp.gif 

Andy S

You lot are off your trolley if you think Jol is going anywhere. Khan won't sack him as he regards him as somewhat of an expert. Jol won't walk so don't even think it should happen because it won't. Jol has done a good job with the players he has had up to now. I believe he will continue to do so. If he doesn't then Christmas will be the time and not before

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

The Old Count

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 29, 2013, 01:01:54 PM

I was there.

I saw a solid defensive display against a team going at us but unable to get through. Sunderland huffed and puffed but created very little.

Luck that we won perhaps but not conceding was down to our defensive strength and organisation.

No way of course that Jol can be given any credit.

I was there too.  Spot on assessment. I thought we played well in defence.  Almost reminded me of performances away under Woy.