watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How good is Darren Bent

Started by The Swan, August 29, 2013, 08:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I know he scored against Arsenal but he played for two hours against Burton on Tuesday night and did not score. According to reports he had a number of shorts on target and their keeper saved them. I still think he should have scored.
The Swan

horse1031

he should have scored on the mistake their center back made on a back header to the keeper.  He could have rounded the keeper, or headed it over him for that matter.  I thought that was a missed chance and would have won the match.  He is an off the shoulder striker.  He will not track back and defend but will wait for through balls and balls over the top.  If he gets service, he will score.  He is also known for missing some sitters but so has every striker.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

We have got him at the right time, he is keen to play in The World Cup  
so as long as we get enough ball up to him he will bang them in.

nose

i thought bent did ok with precious little service. against arsenal his off the ball ruunds looked good but the service was to slow or non existent to take advantage.
get the ball in or near the box and i am sure he will score goals.

grandad

He´s the best since King Louis Saha
Where there's a will there's a wife

Count Berbatov

If he doesn't score, he's no better than Hugo. That said, his first touch is better than Rodalega's , his positioning and also his finishing used to be decent. Waiting to materialize on it. I think Bent, because he's English, is also a bit overhyped and overrated.
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

MOR :

Scored a cracking penalty though...

farfouille

Quote from: The Swan on August 29, 2013, 08:54:02 PM
According to reports he had a number of shorts on target and their keeper saved them.

Well, some of us watched him via live streaming and he played very well, just wasn't lucky enough to score. Believe me, he should start every match. :)

Regarding his first touch, I noticed that it's not better than Rodallega's but I guess he's not found his feet just yet.
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

HatterDon

I'm no fan of Darren Bent, but I hope we don't see a thread questioning his worth because he played a match without scoring every time that happens.

Stop that! It's silly!

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Bronsons

I close my eyes and imagine Murphy hitting 3 or 4 precision forward balls for Bent every game... Bent scores quite a lot.

Even as it is, with poor service, he's scored 1 in 1.1 games for us. As HD says to the OP, Stop that! It's silly!

rhyspabsolom

I know he scored against Arsenal but he played for two hours against Burton on Tuesday night and did not score. According to reports he had a number of shorts on target and their keeper saved them. I still think he should have scored.

The general lack of understanding of football on this football forum never ceases to amaze me.

EJL

Ahhh, your title confused me. I wasn't sure if it was "How good is Darren Bent?" or "How good is Darren Bent!?"

Humbled

Quote from: Count Berbatov on August 29, 2013, 09:57:40 PM
If he doesn't score, he's no better than Hugo. That said, his first touch is better than Rodalega's , his positioning and also his finishing used to be decent. Waiting to materialize on it. I think Bent, because he's English, is also a bit overhyped and overrated.

I disagree....
His goal record would suggest otherwise also!
Bare in mind he has never played for a top 4 club and remove last season, in the 5 seasons prior (I believe) only Rooney, Drogba and Anelka had scored more!!!

He has had some expensive transfers (imo silly money)
However I think if anything he has been underated by most in his career.

Roberty

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on August 30, 2013, 12:08:29 AM

The general lack of understanding of football on this football forum never ceases to amaze me.

The understanding of the english language is not so good either!
BARE = naked !
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Deanothefulhamfan

Bent was always going to score against Arsenal, as he always scores against them and he usually scores on his debut....

I think berbatov and Bent will be a great partnership

Skatzoffc

I don't think our team know how he plays yet. Against Arsenal he made lots of runs but the ball never came (or wasn't quickly enough). That will come with training ground and match fitness. Coyw
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Humbled

Quote from: Skatzoffc on August 30, 2013, 07:54:26 AM
I don't think our team know how he plays yet. Against Arsenal he made lots of runs but the ball never came (or wasn't quickly enough). That will come with training ground and match fitness. Coyw

Agreed! He makes lots of runs but our players held on to the ball too long, hopefully after a couple of games they will start to get an understanding.
The problem against Burton was Ruiz had a poor game and last season we had noone 'up top' whereas against Burton we had Bent pushed up but then to big a gap to the supporting players. Only Taarabt seemed to get anywhere near Bent.

JBH

I actually thought Bent had a decent game v Burton and his 2 best chances were actually well saved by their keeper  065.gif

earlbeatty

I'm a fan of Bent's and thought he did alright against Burton. He made some good runs but didn't get the service and i think our wide players need to stay out wide and provide him with the service he needs. It gets so congested in the middle of the park with both wide guys wanting to come inside and joining Berba/Kasim/Ruiz, there just isn't much room!!! To my mind if the wide guys stayed out wide, we would cause more threat and provide more options when the midfielders get on the ball. With the pace of Ashkan & Kaka, they should be looking to get one on one with the full back, beat him and whip the balls in for Bent.

Seems simple to me!!

EB

Lighthouse

IF Bent is played alongside Berbatov (with Berba doing his usual walkabout) or Rodders. We will hurt clubs. Yes we will also be hurt by some who will exploit our sieve like midfield, but with Bent and Berbatov playing I can see great things. Against Burton he was isolated and should not have been. Even so he did very well. Yes he missed a chance but  players will make mistakes. As long as they are playing in their best position (not at right back Ruiz) and do some good stuff this team will do well with Bent.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope