watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol on Rodders

Started by Lighthouse, August 30, 2013, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

MARTIN Jol has challenged Hugo Rodallega to prove his worth at Fulham.

The Colombian forward managed just three goals in 33 appearances for the Whites last campaign after signing from Wigan Athletic.

He has dropped down the Craven Cottage pecking order following the arrival of Darren Bent on loan from Aston Villa.

But the 28-year-old gave boss Martin Jol food for thought with a goalscoring cameo on his first appearance of the season in Tuesday night's Capital One Cup win at League Two Burton Albion.

And the Dutchman called on Rodallega to reproduce those exploits.

He said: "It's about being successful. If he scores two or three goals in a match – he scored four, years ago – hopefully he can do that.

"He had three goals last year – three headers. I remember against Reading he had four chances [and never scored].

"If he can deliver and be productive he will get games. I'm not sure the competition will help him.

"He has to be strong and show us he can be valuable to Fulham."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/08/30/82029-33787096/#ixzz2dRcpKHhq
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

A bit too critical as usual. Pointing out the chances Rodders missed. Yet Jol never said the same about Petric and never says anything critical about his little darlings.

Big Martin Jol

I think it's fair enough. Nobody's perfect (including Berbatov and Bent, as we know) but Rodallega just hasn't hit the net enough to place above them in the pecking order.

Jol's saying that he will get the odd opportunity - like Burton - and if he makes the most of them then he can still carve a decent future for himself at Fulham.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

FFC1987

I like his comment but, hating to agree with Lighthouse.....I believe in a level playing field and hope his comments aren't just going to be addressed to fringe players. The 'stars' also need a kick up the backside to avoid complacency etc. Alienating parts of the squad is never a good tactic.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Lighthouse link=topic=32202.msg424637#msg42463
Yet Jol never said the same about Petric and never says anything critical about his little darlings.
/quote]

Would that be the Petric who rarely played and wasn't offered a new contract?

Lighthouse

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 30, 2013, 11:24:58 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse link=topic=32202.msg424637#msg42463
Yet Jol never said the same about Petric and never says anything critical about his little darlings.
/quote]

Would that be the Petric who rarely played and wasn't offered a new contract?

I would have liked Jol to say -Petric wasn't offered a contract because of that awful miss and blimey remember when he stopped Senderos effort and went offside and still missed from the line. That's why we didn't offer him a contract.  :023:

TonyGilroy

Which would, of course, have been good management in Lighthouseland.

Burt

Can't really fault what Jol says.

If Dave steps up to the plate and puts the goals in, then he will get the games. If he doesn't do what he was brought in to do, then he won't.

Sounds fair to me.

Lighthouse

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 30, 2013, 12:00:31 PM

Which would, of course, have been good management in Lighthouseland.

:005:

HatterDon

He didn't tear up any trees during his last season and a half at Wigan in terms of scoring goals. His return for us pretty much matches his return for them. I can understand supporters expecting Rodallega to score more; Jol -- if he was paying attention last summer -- certainly shouldn't have been expecting him to be a 10 goal striker.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Brown@FFC

He said the same about Ruiz. He wants him to get 10 goals a season, not 5. Berbatov and Bent will get most of our goals, and Taarabt will be up their as well. Like to start seeing Dejagah shoot more too.

Burt

He scored 24 goals in 112 appearances at Wigan (a goal every 4.6 matches).

His record here is 3 goals in 27 appearances (a goal every 9 matches).

He needs to rediscover is Necaxa form, where his ratio was a goal for every 2.1 matches.

MJG

Well give him a good run as a STRIKER and not stick him out on the wing and lets then see what happens.

Riverside

Quote from: MJG on August 30, 2013, 03:53:31 PM
Well give him a good run as a STRIKER and not stick him out on the wing and lets then see what happens.

Agreed
I still insist we looked better last year when he was playing as a striker .
I think he can rotate well with Bent in that position .
Making sure we don't have to have Berba as lone striker again .

Count Berbatov

Jol is being unfair. He judges him on goals scored, when he didn't play him much, or mostly as a sub or even out on the wing.
Torres could not score if his life depended on it, yet became a first choice at Chelski . And we kept hearing how strikers shouldn't be judged on goals only, that there's so much more to his game etc...

If Jol wanted a prolific striker, should have got Owen for example. Or how about Chicharito Hernandez.

Hugo will be out the door soon
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

MikeR

Quote from: Brown@FFC on August 30, 2013, 03:43:49 PM
...Like to start seeing Dejagah shoot more too.
Dejagah will need to score once before I start wishing that he would shoot more.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken