News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Platini seeking to change the transfer process...

Started by Burt, August 30, 2013, 12:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Michel Platini believes changes need to be made to the transfer process

Michel Platini is to push for the transfer window to be shortened, and claims the fees paid for players are "a robbery".

Real Madrid are set to pay around £86million for Gareth Bale and Platini said although the Spanish club can afford the Tottenham player, there needs to be a healthier approach to transfers generally.

Platini told reporters in Monaco: "In terms of the morality (of the fee), this question was being asked when (Diego) Maradona was transferred. People said 'wow, 5million for a player' and then it was Mr Zidane and then Cristiano Ronaldo and now Mr Bale - 100million euros.

"There is certainly money for this kind of transfer. Real Madrid have a turnover of more than 250million (euros) and if they buy three players for a total sum of 100million, this question would not be asked, and they could pay in instalments.

"Today a player is more a product than a footballer."

"I think transfers are a robbery. When I was playing, every time I had finished a contract I was free to go wherever I went. I think it's an opportunity for a lot of people to make a lot of money.

"Today a player is more a product than a footballer with a whole pile of people trying to get commissions.

"I think we and FIFA should think about that and find something more healthy."

In terms of the transfer window, Platini said UEFA's strategic committee would look into the issue and could suggest that all European leagues start at the same time to reduce the length of the window.

He added: "I agree it is too long but the whole world is involved and don't play at the same time as we do. The clubs also want to have transfers finished before the start of their competition.

"The strategic committee includes the clubs and leagues and we will ask FIFA to have a look into what we propose and for all European leagues to start at the same time.

"I agree this window is too long and will have to shorten it."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8896808/michel-platini-believes-changes-need-to-be-made-to-the-transfer-process

jarv

Don't see how shortening it will do anything to help. If anything, will increase panic buying.

Do away with it and go back to the old system but put caps on it (if the European labour laws allow that). If you play championship manager, you are only allowed to make so many changes. Besides, the loan system makes a mockery of the transfer system. You can get anyone in or out at any time as long as the clubs agree....I don't get it.

FFC1987

'They can afford it'? Only on handouts and crippled debts, otherwise sure...

Roberty

The money is just going round - buy Bale - sell 3 players - cost Zero - Sell Bale - buy 4 or 5 players - cost Zero

The real issue is the transfer window - it should shut before the season starts.

Why does it need to be open for 3 months surely 2 months should be enough with it only open for June and July because for most of it nothing happens anyway.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

HatterDon

It took UEFA 800 years to get goal line technology. Now Platini wants to go to European businesses and tell them how much money they can spend improving their product and marketing? What a self-serving joke the guy is.

And as for the transfer periods, as much as I hate the hype associated with them, I much prefer this system than the "on sale all the time" that we had for years. How many teams were relegated or failed to get promoted in the past because they lost their best player when a player for a bigger team got injured in the last two months of the season? I never minded seeing a player get a chance with a big club, but to lose a guy who could have gotten us from the 3rd to the 2nd division and then watch him play maybe 1 of his new club's remaining 8 games ... .
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MikeR

No way he's going to get a handle on transfer fees - too many countries involved.

One simple change that I think is possible and would improve things, though, is to treat domestic league play the same as a cup competition - a player is tied to a team for the duration of a competition once he's appeared for them once. This wouldn't stop last-minute intra-league transfers, but it would have prevented Dembele from going to Spurs the way he did. Of course, it would also have prevented us from offloading Zamora as we did, so an argument could be made for just leaving things as they are.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Roberty on August 30, 2013, 01:36:22 PM
Why does it need to be open for 3 months surely 2 months should be enough with it only open for June and July because for most of it nothing happens anyway.

Different leagues operate at different times of the year.  That doesn't mean that there can't be a rule that basically allows players to move from a club during the off season.  So players can be between English teams from say a week after the end of the season until a week before the start of the season, but if an English team wants to buy a player from the Norwegian league then they can buy them between December and March.  Equally, a Norwegian team can only buy players from England between May and August.

It's probably easier to say the selling club has to be in their off season :P

Lighthouse

The older I become the more I wish they had stopped messing with my game. Offsides, transfer windows. Why couldn't they just leave it alone.

http://youtu.be/Cqg3kcwAgso
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

timmyg

If it's competitiveness he's after, caps and windows won't do anything. Only solution really is to abolish the purchasing/selling system, and new club/new contract system. So, only allow trades. Which will never happen.

(Don or whomever, why *is* the purchase/sell transaction system not common practice stateside? Is it illegal, or senseless due to single entity??)
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

HatterDon

Quote from: timmyg on August 30, 2013, 05:58:05 PM
If it's competitiveness he's after, caps and windows won't do anything. Only solution really is to abolish the purchasing/selling system, and new club/new contract system. So, only allow trades. Which will never happen.

(Don or whomever, why *is* the purchase/sell transaction system not common practice stateside? Is it illegal, or senseless due to single entity??)

In the MLS? I'm not sure. I think if we're signing players from Europe, Asia, South America, we have the same restrictions that they do. I'm watching more MLS matches these past couple of seasons, but I don't follow the press all that much.

MJG

I would have a very short window in january, maybe 2 weeks. A break in all fixtures as well to allow all clubs/players to be available.
Transfers in the summer should be June 1 to July 31st.

All transfers should be put through the domestic leagues FA. Using them like a clearing house. All transfer fees should be shown along with Agent fees.

Either that or everyone meets up at say the O2 and gets it all sorted over one weekend.

HatterDon

Unfortunately, that would restrict the transfer period to mid-season of the Scandinavian leagues and the North American Leagues.

There's no easy solution.

The Bronsons

Quote from: Roberty on August 30, 2013, 01:36:22 PM
The money is just going round - buy Bale - sell 3 players - cost Zero - Sell Bale - buy 4 or 5 players - cost Zero

That would only be true if there were no kickbacks, backhanders and agents' fees.