https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Embarrassing

Started by flirpit, August 30, 2013, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: sipwell on August 31, 2013, 12:38:02 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on August 31, 2013, 11:46:12 AM
Hope I can control myself when we score.

Correction: Hope I can control myself IF we score.

I hope I could control myself if we scored.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Riverside

Quote from: sipwell on August 31, 2013, 12:38:02 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on August 31, 2013, 11:46:12 AM
Hope I can control myself when we score.

Correction: Hope I can control myself IF we score.

Come on !
Right 1st time
WHEN we score

Airfix

Not going.
Don't feel that I need to justify it.
Not embarrassed.

SP

:group hug:
Quote from: Airfix on August 31, 2013, 01:35:04 PM
Not going.
Don't feel that I need to justify it.
Not embarrassed.

:plus one:

Like most on here, with a full day's activities planned & a decent bottle of wine lined up for tonight the prospect of travelling hundreds of miles simply doesn't appeal.  Each to their own though.

FFC4Life

Wanted to go today but missed any cheap train tickets. At over £100 just for transport, can't really justify it - particularly after having shelled out not far off that to go to Sunderland two weeks ago.

ash

Most regulars went to Burton. Why waste money going to Newcastle and watching the game up with the gods. Premier league sit up and take notice please, or else attendances will continue to dwindle down to pathetic numbers.

God The Mechanic

So... can you blame them?

SP

Who could've predicted we'd let Newcastle score their first goal of the season & secure their first win of the season...

:58:

Travers Barney

Went to watch Surrey v Derbyshire at the Oval...sun out...saw a Fulham bloke who was at my first trip to St James Park in our relegation season of 1979/80...like me he struggles to see the action from where we are sitting in the ground!!!!

Good effort by all those in attendance....deserved more than was offered to them it would appear.

coyw
We are the whites

Travers Barney

Talking of embarrasing after his non show against Burton I saw our Swedish left wingers halfhearted attempt to block Ben Arfa's shot and it just spirralled me into further gloomishness...he really should be nowhere near our starting X1.....ever.

imo!

coyw
We are the whites

win-dup

Quote from: grandad on August 30, 2013, 10:42:14 PM
Last time I went to Newcastle the Football Special rail fare was 19/6d. I was on a weekly wage of £4. Forget how much the entrance was but the day cost me 30% of my wages. The players used the same train & played cards with us on the way back.
first ever away game I went to was at Lincoln where we managed to lose 6-1 can't remember the fair but as you say granddad the players were on the same train as the supporters both ways. We were bloody useless away from home then and we are equally useless away from home now.

Burt

Leyton Orient was my first away day. Cheap as chips. Seem to remember it being a dull goalless draw. Perhaps things don't change too much over the years after all!

Travers Barney

The fare had risen to £12 in 79/80 and I took my girlfriend (wife now)...remember rushing down in my lunch break from Raynes Park to Fulham and picking up the rail tickets...purchased match tickets on the day and stupidly got tickets in the paddock where all their lads were...decided to adjust our viewing arrangements shortly after...lost 2-0.

Recall the hostility back to the station with the few Fulham fans in attendance.. bussed back in Police Vans...trundling over that bridge at Newcastle Station was not pleasant....the 4-1 a few years later was a lot better I'm sure...not there that day....had to wait to the Kamara goal game to see us win at SJP.

coyw
We are the whites

HillingdonFFC

Seen a photo on another messageboard of our support up there saturday, not good viewing. Its strange because we`ve taken some decent turn outs  there in the past, think a night out in Newcastle is generally a good pull.I went up there the first three seasons up, the first year we took 800  for a live monday night game, thought that was a pretty good showing. A couple of seasons ago we took 1200 up there and a lot of so called bigger clubs took less. The worst time was when Sky chose to televise a game up there in 2004? ridiculously late in the day, this after loads of us had booked flights ,trains etc. None of us could get refunds and a lot of people were understandably very unhappy. Fulham layed on a free train for all fans who had booked match tickets, but due to the monday night it was practically empty which was to be expected.
It reminded me of my first trip to the North East in 1988. Went up to Sunderland on one of Chris Topleys supporters club trains, the game was in serious doubt because they had some dodgy weather up there. We all went up  not sure if the game was on , never been so cold at a game in my life, remember the small band of us shivering as a freezing icy wind blew off the North Sea. Lost 2-0.
On the way back we must`ve been on the mail train beacause it took so long to get to Kings Cross I waired for the tubes to start running, went home had afew hours kip and went to work in the afternoon, worked for the old man.lol. Great trip ,still say hello to a few lads I met,  Andy from Bracknell etc

jarv

I don't blame people for not travelling to away games. First, the cost. Second, the switching game times and days by the league.

I do feel that the league has been complicit in deliberately making it difficult (over a long period of time) for away fans to discourage them since the days of hooligans. Can't entirely blame the league for this. I was at Upton Park a few years ago in the neutral section. Lots of scumbag home supporters looking for trouble. Horrible experience and vowed that is one ground I will never go back to.

I made the same vow back in the 70s after a game at Stamford Bridge. To this day, never been back. Never will.

I wonder how many others offer such an unpleasant time.

Burt

Quote from: Travers Barney on September 01, 2013, 09:33:28 PM
the 4-1 a few years later was a lot better I'm sure...not there that day....had to wait to the Kamara goal game to see us win at SJP.

coyw

I was there Mr TB and it was still a bit dodgy... I still remember the "COCKNEYS WILL DIE" in massive letters on the wall outside the away end! I think the only thing that saved us from a pasting that day was a certain Malcolm MacDonald being our manager, and all the coppers were all Mackems!

keith

74/75 season League Cup away to Newcastle on a Tuesday night.Sitting in the station buffet after a 2-0 defeat, and Geordies spitting at middle aged Fulham supporters after the Fulham fans had agreed with them that Newcastle deserved to win.Like Burt said above, the Police were Mackems and assisted greatly.

ash

Quote from: jarv on September 02, 2013, 12:23:55 PM
I don't blame people for not travelling to away games. First, the cost. Second, the switching game times and days by the league.

I do feel that the league has been complicit in deliberately making it difficult (over a long period of time) for away fans to discourage them since the days of hooligans. Can't entirely blame the league for this. I was at Upton Park a few years ago in the neutral section. Lots of scumbag home supporters looking for trouble. Horrible experience and vowed that is one ground I will never go back to.

I made the same vow back in the 70s after a game at Stamford Bridge. To this day, never been back. Never will.

I wonder how many others offer such an unpleasant time.

Agree with the comment about the league deliberately making it difficult for away fans. They keep saying that they would like to keep the "spirit" of away fan culture alive but that is complete bull****.

Jack Fulham

Newcastle's away end is embarrassing.