https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff...(05/05/10)

Started by WhiteJC, May 05, 2010, 06:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197583
Zamora: 'Whatever Will Be, Will Be' With England
Bobby Zamora remains very much in a 'whatever will be, will be' frame of mind as far as his England chances go, although according to Vital England the Fulham striker deserves his chance.

Vital England says: In terms of what Zamora can offer, as he highlighted himself, he offers what Emile Heskey, Peter Crouch and Carlton Cole all offer, the main difference for him being that he really is the man in form at the moment, and form is an ideal thing to have going into the world cup, right?

Yep, he lacks the international experience but there is time for Capello to look at the 29-year-old in training ahead of the world cup, and give him some friendly outings to see what he can do - what, really, have England go to lose by doing this. We have, potentially, a lot more to lose by not...

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197583#ixzz0n1txlcvX

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=270089&cc=5739
Zamora struggling ahead of Stoke clash

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is unlikely to play any part in Wednesday's Barclays Premier League clash with Stoke.
Zamora is struggling with an Achilles injury and faces a race against time to be fit for the Europa League final against Atletico Madrid next week.

Clint Dempsey will continue to deputise in attack for Fulham's last home match of the season.

Bjorn Helge Riise insists Fulham's first team hopefuls are determined to contribute to a spectacular season by securing a top 10 finish.

Craven Cottage is gripped with excitement over the looming Europa League final against Atletico Madrid at the Hamburg Arena next Wednesday.

With his first-choice side set in stone, manager Roy Hodgson will nurse his resources carefully over the two remaining Premier League matches.

Only four of the side that completed the fairytale march to the final by beating Hamburg last week started Sunday's 3-2 victory over West Ham.

Hodgson is likely to give the second string another run out against Stoke and Riise insists they are ready to answer his call once again.

"We live to play football so there was never any question of us not being up for it against West Ham,'' he told the club's official website.

"For those of us that were on the bench against Hamburg it was a chance to show that we can play football.

"That was important to us and we don't want to lose games, especially in the last weeks of the season and especially when we have a final coming up.

"For us the aim is to get that 10th place and if we beat Stoke we will be close to achieving that.''

Fulham sit one point adrift of 10th place Blackburn but have a game in hand on Rovers.

After meeting Stoke at Craven Cottage they end the Premier League campaign at Arsenal, who could yet be pipped to third place by Tottenham.

Riise is hoping to be involved as much as possible as the finishing touches are put to a season that is already the most successful in the club's 131-year history.

"It was nice to play 90 minutes against West Ham and to win,'' said the Norwegian midfielder.

"A lot of the team haven't played much recently so to beat West Ham 3-2 is a very positive result.

"I enjoyed it a lot and hopefully I'll get to play a bit more in the last three games.

"Now it's important to beat Stoke to secure 10th place.''

Stoke captain Abdoulaye Faye remains an injury doubt.

Faye was absent for Saturday's goalless draw with Everton due to a thigh strain and could miss out again at Craven Cottage.

Asmir Begovic will continue to deputise in goal for Thomas Sorensen, who is recovering from a dislocated elbow.

Ryan Shawcross admits Fulham's success on the continent this season has got him dreaming of a push for Europe with Stoke next year.

The London club made it into Europe by claiming seventh spot last season and Shawcross feels it would be "fantastic'' if the Potters could follow their lead in the next campaign.

"Next season, our first aim will be to reach a points tally where we can't be relegated, and then we will push on from there,'' Shawcross told the Sentinel.

"I would love to play in Europe - ask any of the Stoke lads and they would say the same.

"It is the ultimate for a professional. If we could do it, it would be fantastic, although it is difficult and the first aim is to get to that safety mark.

"But Fulham are a good example of how, if you get off to a good start, you can push on.''

Shawcross was named Stoke's young player of the season on Sunday, while midfielder Matthew Etherington picked up three awards for overall player of the year.

Fabio Capello called Shawcross up to the England squad in February and the defender believes Etherington may have also been given the nod had he not sustained an injury in a match against Manchester City which was being watched by the national coach.

"He has been brilliant this season and it has come as no surprise to me that he has won the awards he has done,'' Shawcross said.

"Matty is a top lad and a top player, and I'm glad for him that he has won these awards.

"I honestly believe that had he not picked up an injury against Manchester City then he would have been in with a shout of an England call-up, that's how good he has been this season.

"Hopefully, he can continue to progress next year and then who knows, hopefully Stoke could have a couple of players in the England squad."

WhiteJC

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/05/04/fulham-v-stoke-preview-top-ten-finish-is-target-for-bjorn-helge/
Fulham v Stoke Preview: Top Ten Finish is Target for Bjorn Helge Riise

FULHAM
Roy Hodgson's side find themselves in the enviable position of still having targets to aim for at this late stage of the season.

The looming Europa League final with Atletico Madrid inevitably dominates thoughts, but the prospect of securing a second successive top ten finish provides additional incentive ahead of the final two league games of the season.

Hodgson had every right to be pleased by his side's response to last week's stirring European semi-final victory over Hamburg by beating West Ham on Sunday when a number of fringe players made the most of a rare starting opportunity.

"It was nice to play 90 minutes and nice to win," Bjorn Helge Riise told fulhamfc.com. "There were a lot of players who haven't played a lot recently so to beat West Ham 3-2 is a very positive result. I enjoyed it a lot and hopefully I'll get to play a bit more in the last three games.

"Now it's important to beat Stoke on Wednesday to secure 10th place. We want to be in that top 10 so that when we look at the table on TV we're there in the top half. And to achieve that after the season we've had, and getting to the Europa League Final, would be a very good season."

Fulham's success has raised questions about Hodgson's long term position at the club with the manager linked with a move to Liverpool this summer, but the primary aim for manager and players is not to lose focus ahead of one of the most important weeks in the club's history.

"We don't want to lose games," added Riise. "Especially in the last weeks of the season and especially when we have a Final. Our aim is to get that 10th place and if we beat Stoke on Wednesday I think we will be close to achieving that."

Strategy: Fulham's approach has rarely changed this season whether they have been facing Juventus or one of their more physical Premier League rivals like Stoke. One of Hodgson's successes this season has been to maintain togetherness within a squad to ensure his fringe players have remained anxious to impress when called upon, rather than itching for a move. That desire to catch the manager's eye will only intensify now with Europa League final places up for grabs and the Cottagers should be able to take full advantage against a Stoke side that has appeared less than united in recent weeks.

Injuy update: Bobby Zamora's achilles injury means the striker will again be missing but Zoltan Gera could return to the line-up after being rested against West Ham.

STOKE
Stoke manager Tony Pulis is preparing for a substantial revamp of his squad this summer but one player who appears to be staying is winger Matthew Etherington.

Tony Pulis has revealed Etherington has had talks over a new contract with chief executive Tony Scholes and is set to agree a four-year extension at the Britannia Stadium before the end of the season. The 28-year-old has had another excellent season with the Potters, with his form even leading to a clamour from Pulis for a call-up to the England squad.

That call almost embarrassed Etherington and now appears rather doubtful but he will be somebody who survives a summer cull to take his place for Stoke's third season in the Premier League.

Pulis told Fanhouse: "We've had talks with Matty over the last week and I expect the contract to be agreed before the end of the season.

"He's an important part of our future and somebody we very much want to keep. We want him to stay here for a very long time. He's got two years left on his contract at the moment so there have never been any fears we would lose him. But he has been one of our better players since we signed him and the sooner we can get him signed up the better."

Strategy: Stoke are preparing for two tricky away games this week, starting at Europa Cup Finalists Fulham tonight before ending the campaign at Manchester United.

And striker Ricardo Fuller has admitted Stoke face a real battle to beat last season's points tally of 45 points, with the club currently on 44. He said: "A lot of people say that teams in the middle of the league have nothing to play for, but you try telling that to us and the lads at Fulham.

"We are desperate to go out there and get the win. Our pride was hurt after what happened at Chelsea, but we restored it against Everton. Now we just want to get that win to take us on to 47 points. That would be a great achievement for this football club and put us in a great position to go to Manchester United at the weekend and hopefully put in a good performance."

Injury Update: Thomas Sorensen is still out with a dislocated elbow, so Asmir Begovic will make a second Premier League start.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/4/1457355/my-5-keys-to-victory-for-fulham
My 5 Keys to Victory for Fulham Against Stoke City

Fulham play tomorrow against Stoke City at Craven Cottage.The game takes place at 8PM UK Time and 3PM EST. The game will be on Fox Soccer Plus live in the United States. In the first match in January,  Stoke City beat Fulham 3 - 2.  Fulham are currently 11th in the league with 46 points. Stoke City are currently 13th with 44 points. This should be another interesting game for Fulham. If the club wants to end up in the top 10 by the end of the season they are going to need some points from their final two matches. I expect a tough challenge from Stoke City.  Below are "my 5 keys to victory for Fulham against Stoke City."   

1. Fulham need to be next to perfect  defending set pieces.In the first match-up, Stoke City took advantage of set pieces to score goals. This was a key from the last match against West Ham. I think this key is very important in the match. If Fulham want to win tomorrow they need to defend set pieces very well tomorrow. Matthew Etherington's kicks off of set pieces set up 2 goals in their last matchup for Stoke.

2. Fulham need to  score early in this match.  If Fulham can score early they could really take control of this match. Just ten days ago Stoke City travelled to Chelsea and lost 7 - 0.  That loss probably hurt Stoke City a great deal. An early goal could affect the confidence of Stoke City.

3. Fulham need to contain Matthew Etherington. This player was really integral in the first match - up against Fulham. He was key on set pieces, and also in the midfield on the left side. Fulham need to do a good job of limiting his effectiveness on the match.

4.  Clint Dempsey again needs to be involved in scoring opportunities.With Bobby Zamora probably being out again,  Dempsey needs to be very involved in this match up to create scoring chances. He was able to score and create other opportunities in the last match up against West Ham. This was a key as well from the last match up.

5. Chris Smalling needs to step up once again and be very solid on defense.  If he is playing in the place of Hangeland tomorrow he needs to be consistent. At time he looks very comfortable, and at other times he looks a little shaky. I think he just needs some more experience. Tomorrow would be a great time for him to be consistent and limit his mistakes.

The big question again will be who will Hodgson be starting tomorrow?  If he puts out the same lineup as the last match-up that would be fine with me. I just hope Fulham can come out strong and take control of this match early. I do expect this match to be a tough game.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197588

Fulham - Lock Hodgson Up!
With numerous column inches being generated relating to the possible snatching of (Sir) Roy Hodgson by a `bigger` club, Mark Schwarzer has come up with a novel way of ensuring he`s not lost to Craven Cottage.

Speaking to the media, and giving Roy a glowing tribute, Mark is quoted as saying,

"We`ll have to make sure he doesn`t go anywhere else. We`ll lock him up in a room or something, so he can`t. Given what our gaffer`s achieved in two and a half years he`s always going to be linked with jobs."

"What he`s done is remarkable given our resources in comparison to other teams."

As long as that room has a television linked to the World Cup I`m not sure Roy would object too much!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197588#ixzz0n1vjNcdq

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197596
Fulham - The Cookie Crumbles!
Sad to hear today that Chris Coleman lost his job at Coventry City.

Chris was a loyal servant to Fulham Football Club enjoying a good playing career, until a car crash put paid to that, he then managed the club between 2003 and 2007, in difficult circumstances.

But, the fact that Coventry finished 19th in the Championship this season ensured that his job was always going t be at risk for an ambitious club with a smart new stadium to fill.

Speaking about his departure, the Coventry chairman, the ex-Manchester City defender Ray Ranson remarked,

"The board would like to place on record their thanks for his efforts over two and a half years."

Has it really been two and a half years since his Real Sociedad debacle ended?

We`d like to wish Chris good luck in attaining another position in what can be a cruel game!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197596#ixzz0n1vspoJQ

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197602
Fulham - Dempsey Milestone Awaits!
After taking the honours in our poll for the man-of-the-match poll against West Ham, Clint Dempsey looks set to reach another milestone tomorrow (Wednesday) evening.

The American who`ll be trying to dent our World Cup hopes in South Africa in a few weeks time, will, if selected, reach 100 league starts for Fulham.

Not a bad achievement we`d suggest.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197602#ixzz0n1wJ0lSg

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-vs-stoke-city-wed-5-may-2010
Fulham Vs Stoke City, Wed 5 May 2010
Fulham Vs Stoke City: Match Preview

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is unlikely to play any part in Wednesday's Barclays Premier League clash with Stoke.
Zamora is struggling with an Achilles injury and faces a race against time to be fit for the Europa League final against Atletico Madrid next week.

Clint Dempsey will continue to deputise in attack for Fulham's last home match of the season.

Bjorn Helge Riise insists Fulham's first team hopefuls are determined to contribute to a spectacular season by securing a top 10 finish.

Craven Cottage is gripped with excitement over the looming Europa League final against Atletico Madrid at the Hamburg Arena next Wednesday.

With his first-choice side set in stone, manager Roy Hodgson will nurse his resources carefully over the two remaining Premier League matches.

Only four of the side that completed the fairytale march to the final by beating Hamburg last week started Sunday's 3-2 victory over West Ham.

Hodgson is likely to give the second string another run out against Stoke and Riise insists they are ready to answer his call once again.

"We live to play football so there was never any question of us not being up for it against West Ham," he told the club's official website.

"For those of us that were on the bench against Hamburg it was a chance to show that we can play football.

"That was important to us and we don't want to lose games, especially in the last weeks of the season and especially when we have a final coming up.

"For us the aim is to get that 10th place and if we beat Stoke we will be close to achieving that."

Fulham sit one point adrift of 10th place Blackburn but have a game in hand on Rovers.

After meeting Stoke at Craven Cottage they end the Premier League campaign at Arsenal, who could yet be pipped to third place by Tottenham.

Riise is hoping to be involved as much as possible as the finishing touches are put to a season that is already the most successful in the club's 131-year history.

"It was nice to play 90 minutes against West Ham and to win," said the Norwegian midfielder.

"A lot of the team haven't played much recently so to beat West Ham 3-2 is a very positive result.

"I enjoyed it a lot and hopefully I'll get to play a bit more in the last three games.

"Now it's important to beat Stoke to secure 10th place."

Stoke captain Abdoulaye Faye remains an injury doubt.

Faye was absent for Saturday's goalless draw with Everton due to a thigh strain and could miss out again at Craven Cottage.

Asmir Begovic will continue to deputise in goal for Thomas Sorensen, who is recovering from a dislocated elbow.

Ryan Shawcross admits Fulham's success on the continent this season has got him dreaming of a push for Europe with Stoke next year.

The London club made it into Europe by claiming seventh spot last season and Shawcross feels it would be "fantastic" if the Potters could follow their lead in the next campaign.

"Next season, our first aim will be to reach a points tally where we can't be relegated, and then we will push on from there," Shawcross told the Sentinel.

"I would love to play in Europe - ask any of the Stoke lads and they would say the same.

"It is the ultimate for a professional. If we could do it, it would be fantastic, although it is difficult and the first aim is to get to that safety mark.

"But Fulham are a good example of how, if you get off to a good start, you can push on."

Shawcross was named Stoke's young player of the season on Sunday, while midfielder Matthew Etherington picked up three awards for overall player of the year.

Fabio Capello called Shawcross up to the England squad in February and the defender believes Etherington may have also been given the nod had he not sustained an injury in a match against Manchester City which was being watched by the national coach.

"He has been brilliant this season and it has come as no surprise to me that he has won the awards he has done," Shawcross said.

"Matty is a top lad and a top player, and I'm glad for him that he has won these awards.

"I honestly believe that had he not picked up an injury against Manchester City then he would have been in with a shout of an England call-up, that's how good he has been this season.

"Hopefully, he can continue to progress next year and then who knows, hopefully Stoke could have a couple of players in the England squad."

WhiteJC

http://www.stoke.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=197632
Fulham vs Stoke preview
This penultimate match of the season has been postponed several times since it was originally planned due to the Cottagers' impressive progression to the Europa League final.

Stoke fans will be hoping that the Fulham players will be concentrating on the bigger challenge of Atletico Madrid in Hamburg next week and that we can come away with all three points ahead of the difficult visit to Old Trafford for the final match on Sunday.

Vital Quotes:Fulham Team News:Leading goalscorer, Bobby Zamora is still nursing an achilles injury that saw him miss out in their 3-2 win over their London rivals West Ham.

Player to watch: Zoltan GeraThe former Baggie is Fulham's second highest goalscorer after Zamora and likely to return after being rested at the weekend.

Stoke City Team News:Stoke will have been buoyed by a good bounce-back from the Chelsea debacle in their goalless draw against Everton and Tony Pulis can name the same side that started on Saturday - if he chooses to leave David Kitson and James Beattie behind. Asmir Begovic is set to make his second start with Thomas Sorensen injured.

Player to watch: Ricardo FullerIt was just like the old days on Saturday with Mamady Sidibe and Ricardo Fuller linking up well at the front - we just need a goal or two from Ric to end the season on a high.

Match Facts & Stats
Ref Watch:Peter Walton. His first time in charge of a Stoke match since THAT match against Arsenal and Ramsey's horrific injury.

Read more: http://www.stoke.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=197632#ixzz0n1xP4600

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/05/04/1908623/stoke-city-centre-back-ryan-shawcross-dreams-of-emulating
Stoke City centre-back Ryan Shawcross dreams of emulating Fulham's European success
Defender hoping Stoke can push for Europa League qualification next campaign

Stoke City defender Ryan Shawcross admits he is envious of Fulham's Europa League success this season and is dreaming of a push for European qualification with the Potters next year.

Craven Cottage is the venue for the clash between Fulham and Stoke on Wednesday night, as Roy Hodgson's Cottagers await the Europa League final after semi-final victory over Hamburg.

Stoke and Fulham have had comparable league form this season, sitting in 13th and 11th respectively.

Fulham snuck into Europe last season after claiming seventh spot and the towering English defender says it would be "fantastic" if his side could work similar wonders next term.

"Next season, our first aim will be to reach a points tally where we can't be relegated, and then we will push on from there," Shawcross told the Sentinel.

"But Fulham are a good example of how, if you get off to a good start, you can push on."

Shawcross was named Stoke's Young Player of the Season on Sunday, while midfielder Matthew Etherington picked up three awards for overall Player of the Year.

Shawcross believes that his left-sided team-mate would have been a prime candidate for World Cup selection if he hadn't succumbed to injury. Shawcross was called up for an England friendly with Egypt in February.

"He [Matthew Etherington] has been brilliant this season and it has come as no surprise to me that he has won the awards he has done," Shawcross said.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/nothing-in-particular/
Nothing in particular
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 9:53 pm

but I was reading a Swedish profile on Roy a day or so ago (I've lost the link now), and in it Roy said to his visitor (words along the lines of) "Stoor is struggling to adapt to the passing side of the English game.  He is used to the Norwegian league where you get time on the ball.   Here you have to know where you are going to play the ball before it arrives.   Still, he's ambitious and a good pro, and I'm sure he'll make a good full-back eventually".

Absolutely paraphrasing there (he said something else about Stoor's passes not finding a teammate very often, too), but it does show just how difficult playing in this league is.   For all the grief Jon Greening gets, he has again gone through a game without giving the ball away more than a couple of times.  I wouldn't say this on a message board, but I remain convinced that there's value in this, and certainly for a backup player (do no harm, etc).

The other thing to remind ourselves is that Kagisho Dikgacoi is still playing in his first season in England.   That's he's done so quite well is extremely promising, I believe.  You never can tell, but if he ups his game a notch next year he could be a real surprise.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/4/1457994/5-possible-reasons-why-i-think
5 Possible Reasons Why I Think Brede Hangeland Rejected Arsenal Last Summer

This morning I read this interesting post on football - talk.co.uk. The post by Fab4 was entitled " Why did Hangeland reject Arsenal?"  I would very much recommend everyone reading it. The writer just wanted to know why Brede Hangeland would not want to come to Arsenal. Fab4 mentions in his post that Arsenal offer Champions League Football. He also mentions that Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in Europe , and that Hangeland would be playing in front of 60,000 fans every other week. These are all very valid reasons why any player would want to play for Arsenal.

Why would Hangeland not want to play for Arsenal? Well, it might not have anything to do with Arsenal. Maybe he just wanted to play for Fulham? I don't know Brede Hangeland and I am not speaking for him. I am just going to give my opinion why I think he did not go to Arsenal last summer. Below are "5 possible reasons why I think Brede Hangeland rejected Arsenal last summer."

1. The relationship between Hangeland and Roy Hodgson could be a reason he rejected Arsenal.  Brede Hangeland played for Roy Hodgson when he was at his former club Viking. When Hodgson came to Fulham one of his first signings was Brede Hangeland.  Under Hodgson the defense for Fulham has tremendously improved. Brede Hangeland has much to do with this. He has thrived while playing for Fulham and Hodgson. There could be a comfort factor between manager and player? 

2. Hangeland was offered a new contract from Fulham back last April.  Fulham were being proactive with Hangeland.  By making this offer way back in April they could have been showing how important the player was to the club.  His initial deal wasn't to expire until after the 2010/2011.  Negotiations can take a long time. He didn't end up signing his new deal until November. The interest from Arsenal might have helped the negotiations with Fulham. In my opinion they were showing Hangeland he was in the their long term plans. He is signed until 2013.

3. Playing with his teammates could be a reason he rejected Arsenal.  Once you have a comfort level with your teammates it could be one reason you would want to stay at the club.  Again, he just might be comfortable in his environment at Craven Cottage.

4. Maybe he really wanted to play in the Europa League? After the hard work of getting 7th place in the league the team qualified for the Europa League. Now, obviously the Champions League competition is better. But, maybe Hangeland just wanted to be rewarded and help Fulham see this journey through in the Europa League.

5. Maybe, Hangeland is just happy at Fulham. This is a simple possible reason. If you are happy in one situation why change?

In concluding, I go back to my second  paragraph. Maybe he just wanted to play for Fulham?

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1272502/Fulham-fans-furious-Europa-League-final-ticket-fiasco.html?ITO=1490
Fulham fans furious over Europa League final ticket fiasco

Furious Fulham supporters who have missed out on Europa League final tickets have blamed the club's controversial distribution policy.

Roy Hodgson's men became the first Fulham side to reach a European final last Thursday, thanks to their heroic 2-1 win over Hamburg at Craven Cottage.

But thousands of loyal fans may miss the biggest night in the club's history. UEFA allocated the club 12,650 tickets for the clash against Atletico Madrid at the 57,000-capacity Nordbank Arena in Hamburg on May 12 - but all were snapped up in under four hours last Friday.

Roy's wonders: Zolton Gera's goal fired Fulham into the Europa League final
Fulham allowed each of their 10,000 season-ticket holders four seats for the final on a 'first come, first served' basis - which has angered the thousands of supporters who failed to get hold of any tickets. Sportsmail also understands tickets cost up to £850 on the black market.

The club has moved to appease fans by contacting UEFA about the possibility of increasing their allocation, but UEFA have warned Fulham their attempt to lobby for more tickets is likely to fail.

A UEFA spokesman said: 'Each club has been allocated 12,650 tickets, the remainder have been allocated in a UEFA ballot and gone on sale to the German public. 'I'm not sure there is much scope to increase the allocation.'
Fulham face Stoke tonight in the club's penultimate match before flying out to Hamburg.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1272502/Fulham-fans-furious-Europa-League-final-ticket-fiasco.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0n1zEKQgw

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/football/Stoke-City-Meet-Fulham-players-likely-line-Stoke/article-2108598-detail/article.html
Stoke City: Meet the Fulham players likely to line up against Stoke

PITCH BATTLE: Fulham winger Damien Duff will be out to impress ahead of next's week Europa League final when he lines up against Stoke tonight.
BETWEEN THE STICKS

MARK SCHWARZER

A FANTASTIC free transfer signing from Middlesbrough by Roy Hodgson. The Aussie keeper is in his second season at Fulham and has rivalled Aaron Hughes and Bobby Zamora as their player of the year.

AT THE BACK

STEPHEN KELLY
SPENT the second half of last season on loan at Stoke, but lost out to Andy Wilkinson in the battle for the right-back spot. The Republic of Ireland international joined Fulham on a free transfer from Birmingham at the end of the season.

AARON HUGHES

THE Northern Ireland international is one of the least heralded but most effective players in the Premier League. The 30-year-old former Aston Villa and Newcastle centre-back has been superb for the Cottagers this season, helped by experience and faultless positional sense.

CHRIS SMALLING

THE 20-year-old was playing for non-league Maidstone two years ago, but he was signed by Manchester United in January for £10m. The England U21 defender will join them on a four-year deal in the summer.

NICKY SHOREY

THE former Reading left-back signed on loan from Aston Villa on February 1. The energetic, attack-minded defender earned two England caps in 2007 after starring for Reading in the Premier League.

MIDFIELD

DICKSON ETUHU
THE former Manchester City and Sunderland midfielder will add some physical strength in his role as the holding player in front of the back four.

JONATHAN GREENING

JOINED the Cottagers on a season-long loan from West Brom last summer. The ex-Baggies captain will need a strong display to force his way into the starting line-up for the Europa League final.

KAGISHO DIKGACOI

UTILITY player who can play in central midfield or on either flank. The South Africa international signed from Golden Arrows, in his home country, last year.

DAMIEN DUFF

THE Republic of Ireland international's career has taken off again under Roy Hodgson. The 31-year-old winger became Chelsea's record signing when he joined from Blackburn for £17m in 2003. He joined Fulham from Newcastle for about £2.5m last summer and has become an integral part of the side.

IN ATTACK

CLINT DEMPSEY
THE 27-year-old, pictured left, USA international will be lining up against England in the World Cup. They won't take him lightly having seen him shine at Fulham as a midfielder and up front.

ERIK NEVLAND

THE 33-year-old Norwegian gets the chance up front as Fulham rest Bobby Zamora. Stoke won't underestimate Nevland after he scored the goal that condemned them to a 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage last April.

ON THE BENCH

PASCAL ZUBERBÜHLER
THE Switzerland international keeper played in the Premier League with West Brom in 2006/07, but hasn't had a sniff with Fulham because of the outstanding form of Schwarzer.

ZOLTAN GERA

ANOTHER former Baggie. The Hungarian attacking midfielder earned a place in Fulham legend by scoring the goal that beat Hamburg to secure a place in the Europa League final.

DAVID ELM

THE striker was picked up from Swedish football by Roy Hodgson last summer and has been described as a Bobby Zamora-type by the manager.

PAUL KONCHESKY

ANDY Wilkinson lookalike who is in his third season with Fulham. The former Charlton and West Ham left-back is likely to be rested tonight with Europe in mind.

JOHN PANTSIL

GHANA international right-back who is a favourite at Fulham. Not so popular in Stoke after his remarkable acting put Ricardo Fuller in danger of a second yellow card at the Brit last season.

STEFANO OKAKA

THE 20-year old Roma striker is an Italy under-21 international who joined Fulham on loan for the rest of the season in January.

DANNY MURPHY

THE former Crewe midfielder pulls the strings in the Fulham midfield – which is why he is likely to be on the bench tonight to be kept fresh for the Europa League final.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/133817/Brede-Hangeland-could-be-target-for-AC-Milan/
BREDE HANGELAND COULD BE TARGET FOR AC MILAN

FULHAM'S giant defender Brede Hangeland is a shock target for AC Milan – if the Italians do not land Manchester United star Nemanja Vidic.

Starsport revealed last month that AC Milan made the acquisition of a world-class centre-back their top priority over the summer – particularly if they lose Thiago Silva, 25, to Chelsea.

Vidic, 28, is the man the Rossoneri want to lead their defensive revamp and they are prepared to splash out £20m on the Serbian hardman.

But San Siro vice-president Adriano Galliani has instructed Milan's global scouts to draw up a shortlist of other targets if the move for Vidic fails.

Hangeland, 28, who signed a new long-term deal last year, has played a huge role in the Craven Cottage side's amazing passage through to the Europa League Final.

And Milan's scouts have been alerted to Hangeland's impressive European form.

Palermo's 21-year-old defender Simon Kjaer – who is a target for Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester United – is also on the Italian giant's shortlist.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1775/asian-editorials/2010/05/05/1909151/asian-debate-could-south-koreas-seol-ki-hyeon-have-been-a-bigger-
Asian Debate: Could South Korea's Seol Ki-Hyeon Have Been A Bigger Star?
The story is not over but Goal.com Asia takes a look back at The Sniper's exploits...

"It was something I expected," said Seol Ki-hyeon after learning that his name was not among the 30 read out by South Korea coach Huh Jung-moo in Seoul last Friday. Seven of the thirty will never make it to South Africa and will learn their fate later this month. Seol has longer to come to terms with his absence.

If he expected it then most fans in his homeland felt the same. It is still a sad moment for the popular player. At the age of 31, Seol's World Cup career is over but it is one that he can look back on with some pride though maybe he will wonder what might have been.

It is ironic that The Sniper came back to play in South Korea for the first time earlier this year in order to get some regular playing time ahead of the World Cup (though the player claims that this is not the only reason) has yet to make his debut for the Pohang Steelers. A knee injury that didn't seem so serious at first has kept him out of action for four months and now keeps him out of South Africa.

Seol was an Asian pioneer, playing his trade in Europe when the likes of Keisuke Honda and Park Chu-young were still at school. It took guts for the versatile forward, another product of the Gangwon Province football conveyor belt, to move to Belgium and Royal Antwerp at the age of 21 with no professional experience under his belt.

A great first season in the city at the centre of the world's diamond trade persuaded Belgian aristocrats Anderlecht that this was an eastern jewel that would look good in their outfit. He moved to Brussels in 2001, became the first Korean to play in the UEFA Champions League and by the time the 2002 World Cup came along, Seol was a regular.

He cemented his status during the global tournament in East Asia, scoring the vital equalizing goal against Italy in the second round that paved the way for Asia's best World Cup result since 1966. It wasn't the smoothest of strikes on a sticky Daejeon night but it will never be forgotten. By the end of a fantastic run to the semi-final, Seol had, the admittedly ambivalent, accolade of being the Most Tackled Player in the whole competition.

Such challenges spurred him on to seek greater ones of his own and as more and more compatriots joined him out west, Seol was keen on a move to the Premier League. Rumours came and went but in 2004, he moved to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Black Country outfit had just been relegated out of the top flight but hopes were high of a swift return under Glenn Hoddle. Seol did enough to show that he had the talent to shine on a big stage though he faded somewhat during his second season.

This has perhaps been a feature of Seol's career and a major factor in the player not being seen in the A-List of European Asians – though his early arrival out west didn't help. The forward's tendency to start seasons well only to lose form as Christmas approached cost him moves to bigger clubs. On the face of it, he had everything necessary to succeed - versatility in attack, an ability to play wide or in the middle and strength in the air.

That was evident at Reading. After the 2006 World Cup, in which Seol created Korea's equaliser against France for Park Ji-sung, the move to the Premier League finally arrived. Just like their new signing, Reading were newly promoted and hungry.

Both started well. Seol shone in a thrilling come-from-behind 3-2 win over Middlesbrough on the opening day. He went from strength to strength. A goal against Sheffield United was quickly followed by a spectacular winner at West Ham and a header against Charlton.

That was as good as it got as injury and loss of form meant that Seol's star was never as high again. He started to become unsettled in Berkshire and in 2007 ended up in London with Fulham. It never quite worked at Craven Cottage and Seol never manage to convince either Lawrie Sanchez or Roy Hodgson that he could cut it in the capital.

Seol did the hard part in the Premier League - he made a name for himself but he never found the consistency to stay in the team, stay among the goals and stay in the headlines.

Now he is back in Korea and out of the World Cup for the first time since 1998. His international career isn't necessarily over but he won't be seen in the red shirt of the Asian Tigers on the global stage again.

He will be fondly remembered for his World Cup and his European exploits and while he still has time to make a significant impact in the K-League and Asia, there is still a sense that Seol Ki-hyeon's career could have been even better.

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/05/fulham-v-stoke-city-if-stoke-get-beat-blame-it-on-dave.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29
Fulham v Stoke City: If Stoke get beat, blame it on Dave!

All is not well at the Britannia Stadium if you read the Press. Tony Pulis has not been happy with the attitude of strikers Tuncay, Beattie or Dave Kitson and the second half of the season has largely been one to forget. This has not been the case for their hosts Fulham who have embarked on an astonishing season which will end with a Europa League Final slot on May 12. However, in the grand scheme of things there is not a lot riding on this game.
Fulham are safe and will have one eye firmly on the final next week while Stoke, who have been safe for ages, will no doubt be planning for next season already. Mind you, Fulham's game against West Ham on Sunday was similar to this scenario and the home side edged a five-goal game. Could the fans see another glut of goals tonight? Maybe, but it's highly unlikely to be from the visitors.
Stoke City have managed just one goal in their past four outings and haven't scored at the Cottage for 14 years. And for those thinking about putting the Potters down for an away win don't – they haven't won there for 19 years. I guess all records are there to be broken but the form Fulham are in right now I don't think it will be now.
Under-fire Stoke striker Dave Kitson has hit back at claims made by Pulis that he is petulant and precious and insists that he is being used as a scapegoat at the club. He told the media: "Cloudy in Stoke? That's Kitson's fault. The traffic's terrible on the way to training? Blame Kitson for that too." You can be sure that if Stoke do get beat tonight the former Reading marksman will be expecting the blame.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/7678261/Fulham-v-Stoke-City-match-preview.html
Fulham v Stoke City: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Wednesday May 5 2010, kick off 20.00 BST.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Baird, Smalling, Konchesky; Riise, Greening, Dikgacoi, Davies; Dempsey, Nevland.
Stoke (4-4-2): Begovic; Wilkinson, Huth, Shawcross, Higginbotham; Delap, Whelan, Whitehead, Etherington; Sidibé, Fuller.
Referee: Peter Walton. Matches: 25. R: 4. Y: 63.

Tale of the game

Europa League finalists Fulham have won 36 of their 46 Premier League points at Craven Cottage and they face a Stoke side that has scored just nine away goals all season – the fewest in the division.

Fulham have lost just one of their last five League games and manager Roy Hodgson will shuffle his pack again ahead of the Europa League final against Atlético Madrid in Hamburg a week on Wednesday.

Bobby Zamora will not be risked, with Hodgson giving the striker the maximum time possible to recover from the recurrence of an Achilles injury. Andrew Johnson is out for the season but otherwise Fulham have a clean bill of health.

Stoke, who 3-0 up against Fulham at the Britannia Stadium in January before winning 3-2, have failed to scored in their last two games and in their last trip to the capital they lost 7-0, at Chelsea. Stoke captain Abdoulaye Faye remains an injury doubt.

He was absent for Saturday's goalless draw with Everton due to a thigh strain and could miss out again at Craven Cottage. Asmir Begovic will continue to deputise in goal for Thomas Sorensen, who is recovering from a dislocated elbow.

This season: Stoke 3 Fulham 2.

Last season: Stoke 0 Fulham 0, Fulham 1 Stoke 0.

Stat of the game: Fulham have gone 20 games since they were last involved in a goalless draw.

Betting tip: Time for a goalless draw, at odds of 17-2.

WhiteJC

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/artikel.php?ID=181375
Birmingham City, Everton, Fulham after Dede Ayew

Three English clubs are among the many European sides seeking to sign Ghanaian midfielder Andre 'Dede' Ayew from French giants Marseille.

According to the source Birmingham City, Everton and Fulham have all approached Marseille to sign the son of legend Abedi Pele.

A football agent with extensive experience in transfers deal between English and French clubs has told Ghanasoccernet exclusively.

The Ghanaian youngster has excelled while on loan at second division side Arles Avignon but his performance during the U20 World Cup and Africa Cup Nations has heightened interest.

Ayew is reported to have snubbed a new offer tabled by Marseille to renew his expiring contract with a permanent offer from Arles unlikely to be accepted by Marseille.

But the agent has said revealed that with many offers on the table for the youngster, he is likely to demand of pound of flesh.

"Birmingham City, Everton and Fulham have all sent their representatives to talk to Marseille about Andre," the French-Cameroonian top agent told Ghanasoccernet under conditions of anonymity.

"I think his performance at the World Youth Championship and also the Africa Cup of Nations have shown that he is matured for the top level.

"But his agents are being difficult because his price could go higher after the World Cup which the English clubs want to avoid. "They have sent scouts to watch him in many matches he has played in including the Youth Cup and the Cup of Nations."

Ayew's contract with Marseille is expected to end next year

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8659373.stm
Fulham    v    Stoke

TEAM NEWS
Fulham's leading scorer Bobby Zamora is still recovering from the Achilles injury which saw him miss Sunday's win over West Ham.

Manager Roy Hodgson could restore Zoltan Gera to the starting line-up after resting him at the weekend.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis has no fresh injury concerns and may name the same team that held Everton on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic is set to continue in place of the injured Thomas Sorensen after a positive full debut.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham

Injured: A Johnson (knee), Zamora (Achilles)

Stoke

Injured: Abdoulaye Faye (groin), Sorensen (elbow)

MATCH PREVIEW
Fulham manager Roy Hodgson says that his side's final two league matches will play an important part in their preparation for the Europa League Final on 12 May.

It is still a very real objective to finish in the top 10 and I believe it is healthy to retain this target

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson
Sunday's 3-2 win over West Ham has kept the Cottagers in confident mood and their immediate target is to finish in the top half of the table. Victory over Stoke would lift them above Blackburn into tenth place.

Stoke's last visit to West London ten days ago resulted in a 7-0 hammering at Chelsea. Tony Pulis' side restored some pride with a point at home to Everton at the weekend and they, like Fulham, have eyed a top half finish.

However, Stoke end their campaign on Sunday at Old Trafford, where Manchester United will be hoping to retain their title. Pulis, who saw his side finish 12th last season, may have to wait until the next campaign to break into the top ten.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Fulham and Stoke have met 66 times. Fulham lead by 27 wins to 24 and there have been 15 draws.

• Stoke's last victory at Craven Cottage came in March 1991, when a Wayne Biggins goal gave them a 1-0 win in the old third division.

• Fulham are unbeaten in their last five home matches in all competitions.

• Fulham's 3-2 win over West Ham on Sunday was the seventh time they've scored at least three goals in a match at Craven Cottage this season.

• Only Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Aston Villa have left Craven Cottage with all three points this term.

• Clint Dempsey has made 99 league starts for Fulham.

Stoke

• Stoke are looking for a first win in five games.

• Stoke have scored just nine away goals in the Premier League this season, fewer than any other team.

• Stoke have lost 22 points from winning positions this season. Only Wigan Athletic have lost more.

• Stoke have conceded 99 goals in their Premier League history.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Fulham

Zamora: 19 goals (8 league); Gera: 10 goals (2 league)

Stoke

Fuller: 8 goals (3 league); Etherington: 6 goals (4 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Peter Walton

Assistant referees: Ron Ganfield & Patrick Keane

Fourth official: Mike Jones

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Fulham (W3-2 v West Ham, h): Pantsil, Baird, Smalling, Konchesky, Riise, Greening, Dikgacoi, Davies (Okaka 70), Dempsey (Elm 85), Nevland. Subs not used: Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Shorey, Gera, Etuhu.

Stoke (D0-0 v Everton, h): Begovic, Wilkinson, Huth, Shawcross, Higginbotham, Delap (Pugh 88), Whelan, Whitehead, Etherington (Lawrence 87), Sidibe (Tuncay 88), Fuller. Subs not used: Simonsen, Diao, Collins, Moult.

MOST RECENT MEETING

Stoke 3-2 Fulham (5 January 2010)

Stoke scorers: Tuncay 12, Abdoulaye Faye 34, Sidibe 37

Fulham scorers: Duff 61, Dempsey 85