watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WHY BERBATOV WAS A BAD BUY FOR FULHAM

Started by NogoodBoyo, September 07, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScalleysDad

Now, everyone wants him gone, as if no Fulham player has ever had two bad games in a row.

Not so sure its just two though. Parma and Betis were a bit half arsed, the three Prem games have been a poor effort, (not only him by any means), which even led to our very feature on motd. I remember at the end of last season some people thinking that he was done and going so average performances, considering the talent, are becoming the norm and costly. The last time he had me jumping out of my seat was the Stoke game ........... and age ago.

farfouille

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 08, 2013, 04:53:22 PM
The last time he had me jumping out of my seat was the Stoke game ........... and age ago.

Huh, apart from that "goal of the season", I am pretty sure that wasn't one of his best matches. You are not looking only at the goals, are you? :)
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

ScalleysDad

Quote from: farfouille on September 08, 2013, 05:10:32 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 08, 2013, 04:53:22 PM
The last time he had me jumping out of my seat was the Stoke game ........... and age ago.

Huh, apart from that "goal of the season", I am pretty sure that wasn't one of his best matches. You are not looking only at the goals, are you? :)

Not at all. I am looking for the talent to infect the team and give the younger players something to look up to. I'm looking for Berbatov to talk to team mates, applaud Kaca for trying to beat a man and then drop a hint as to how. I'm looking for the marquee signing to stand out and be the talisman he is supposed to be. I do feel sorry for him on some counts. There is nobody else on his wavelength but that's where the talent should come through. Nobody is going to be thinking 'right I'm off into that space as Berbatov is going to play a cheeky little flick off his other foot which no one will see coming and I'll be away'. The team are five seconds behind that mindset so Berbatov should be able to adapt accordingly.......................... but cannot drop to that level. Therefore he is a luxury these days when grinding out a game let alone a result seems to be the game plan.

Lighthouse

I wish to have one question answered. Was it managers instruction or player decision away to Newcasatle to have Bent so badly isolated from Berbatov. Berbatov was playing SOOO deep as to make him a pointless extra.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Ruiz is back tackling and Berbatov is out side his own area more times than in the opposition half away from home.

Whoevers decision it was. Jol has either no idea how to play in a  positive manner or cannot control his team. Either way I am no longer angry just bored of my once beloved religion of Fulham. Christ they are dull to watch, especially away.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RaySmith

Well players react to what is happening on the pitch - perhaps Ruiz and Berba felt they had to drop back to help defend and just to get some possession.

Pre-match plans are one thing, but actually playing in the match is another.

Our away record is notorious, so we are unlikely to go for all out attack away - and few teams do. We were 5 mins from a well earned point anyway.

If you're bored then that's your prerogative,
I'm fascinated by how a game pans out - we're talking about elite pros here, not Sunday League or even Div 3 - and every match is highly competitive, with the spectre of relegation hanging over 2 thirds of Prem teams, and with  intense atmospheres

Plus as a Fulham supporter, the drama of supporting Fulham is never boring - i was gutted when that newcastle goal went in, after 5 mins prior yelling an expletive when the keeper saved Taarabt's shot.

I wasn't there, but in the past  I've spent a lot of money following fulham - usually to  see defeats, yet I'd still go if i could afford it. In fact you have more  likelihood of seeing an away victory  under Jol, then any other fulham Prem manager.

But we obviously respond to games in different ways.

Forever Fulham

The central question is WHY is he playing so deep?  Fix that one thing first.  He's playing the hand he has been dealt.  But now that Bent is here, and the managerial staff has had time this break to review the first few games at length in light of the current roster, the next game's line-up should be telling.  Settle down and let's wait and see.  Any chance Diara will be available to play?

cmg

I may have come out as a confirmed Berba-worshipper, but even I had to laugh at this quote from the FFC site report on the Petrov fundraiser:

"Berbatov got his second just before the break as a burst of pace saw him get beyond the defence to slide a cross home with ease and the Stiliyan XI went in 3-1 leaders."

Impressive stuff...until you start to calculate the average age and weight of the defence. I don't think Danny McGrain was on the pitch at the time, but I'm sure I saw him on the touchline.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: The Bronsons on September 07, 2013, 11:55:05 PM
It's Jol's fault, and Berbatov's. They're both supposed to be professionals at the top of their profession. Jol should be able to manage Berbatov; but Berbatov should be responsible enough at this stage of his career not to need "managing".

I'm sick of the sight of both of them, and the sooner they go the better.
All the best footballer's need managing. It's a fine balance between ego stroking and discipline and Jol has the balance wrong. He comes down too hard on some players and not hard enough on others.

The Old Count

Quote from: The Moose on September 08, 2013, 06:56:57 PM
Quote from: The Bronsons on September 07, 2013, 11:55:05 PM
It's Jol's fault, and Berbatov's. They're both supposed to be professionals at the top of their profession. Jol should be able to manage Berbatov; but Berbatov should be responsible enough at this stage of his career not to need "managing".

I'm sick of the sight of both of them, and the sooner they go the better.
All the best footballer's need managing. It's a fine balance between ego stroking and discipline and Jol has the balance wrong. He comes down too hard on some players and not hard enough on others.
Spot on The Moose. Absolutely right.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: Burt on September 08, 2013, 03:55:18 PM
Berba was a terrific buy.

Problem is he is surrounded by a team that don't play to his strengths, and managed by someone who has yet to sort the team out to get the best out of him.

Nogood "left speechless as old Burt hit it on the head in just two short sentences, isit" Boyo

P.S. But I enjoyed reading many of the lengthier replies -especially those who disagree with my judgement.  To be honest, I thought my hectoring tome would generate a deal more hostility.  It would seem as if the majority sees the problem as plain as daylight.  I'm sure Jol does too.  Does he have the eggs to do something about it?  His joljob depends on it in my view.  He may surprise us all but I can't see this man changing.  As I tried to point out, it's not just him - it's his whole coaching staff that seems to be bereft of talent and decent decision-making skills.  That's what MacKenzie needs to look at and that's what he needs to act on.
And when the change comes, as I suspect it will, the good news is that the new manager would have a much better squad with which to work than did Sir Roy when he came in after the Sanchezisaster.