watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tired of all this pessimism

Started by Sheepskin Junior, September 08, 2013, 08:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremyfulham

Good point about the year we finished 7th.
I would appeal to all our supporters to be patient give the new players a chance to gel !

Roberty

Quote from: Fulham76 on September 09, 2013, 01:04:14 PM
Quote from: Roberty on September 09, 2013, 12:51:52 PM
I am somewhat at a loss to understand how many points you believe we should have after 3 matches?

You need to go back to 08/09 to find a season when we had more points after 3 matches, so the worst that could be said is that it is average.

3 points from 2 away games & a home game against Arsenal probably is a decent return but the football we've played has been terrible, and it's been terrible for most of this year. Away from home it is embarrassing! We simply don't try to win these games. Jol sets up to not get beaten, which is probably fine against the top 4 but against teams like Newcastle & Sunderland? We should be a match for them but instead we make it too easy for them by sitting back. 9 times out of 10, eventually they will score, & usually do. Then we have to completely change our game plan & start chasing the game.
If we were a little more adventurous, (with the players we have), we may surprise ourselves. We pass it around the back 4 nicely enough but being so negative & slow going forward is cr*p to watch & won't get the results we need!

Given the high regard that we all hold Roy in - I am hesitant to point out that 39 goals in 2008/9 does not show that we had a lot of atacking intent back then.

He got us to where he did by organising our defense so that we only let in 34 goals.

I guess times have changed and winning is not good enough any more.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Roberty

Quote from: jarv on September 09, 2013, 04:17:06 PM
I can only echo others. The product on the pitch is dire, almost unwatchable at times. Not just this season's 3 games. Nothing has changed from last season's woeful, pathetic displays.
It costs a fortune to go to games. If I lived in UK I certainly would not waste my money on Jol's product.

I do pay for a season ticket.

In my book playing pretty football for people to watch on TV comes a distant second to getting enough points to stay in the Premier League.

HatterDon

Well, "all this pessimism" can be a drag, but after last season's "Jol is the best manager we've ever had" and "Jol is a brilliant coach" and "Jol can take us to the top six" remarks on here CONSTANTLY as we were dropping down the league after Christmas was a LOT harder to take.

I'm fairly sure there were a few threads then that were titled: "I'm tired of all this brainless optimism."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fulham76

Quote from: Roberty on September 09, 2013, 05:44:51 PM
I can only echo others. The product on the pitch is dire, almost unwatchable at times. Not just this season's 3 games. Nothing has changed from last season's woeful, pathetic displays.
It costs a fortune to go to games. If I lived in UK I certainly would not waste my money on Jol's product.

In my book playing pretty football for people to watch on TV comes a distant second to getting enough points to stay in the Premier League.

I think getting enough points to stay in the premier league is what people are concerned about - I certainly am. We're not as strong defensively as we were under Roy & absolutely hopeless going forward.

NogoodBoyo

Sir Roy had a system that began and ended with defence - understandable, even laudable for a club of our size.  For over a season, Jol's team has looked poor in attack, in midfield AND in defence.  He never replaced Murphy, let alone Dembele.
His team just looks confused.
Nogood "confounding, itis" Boyo

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Fulham76

Buffalo76

jmh

Quote from: Roberty on September 09, 2013, 12:51:52 PM
I am somewhat at a loss to understand how many points you believe we should have after 3 matches?

You need to go back to 08/09 to find a season when we had more points after 3 matches, so the worst that could be said is that it is average.
And, as I've noted a few times, three fixtures which netted us one point last season.  It's not like we got 3 points from the first 3 matches and they were at home vs. Palace and Cardiff and Hull.

Lighthouse

So ambition is just to stay up playing negative football? Pretty football is going away having two shots at goal? Enjoy your season ticket.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Roberty

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 09, 2013, 11:34:51 PM

So ambition is just to stay up playing negative football? Pretty football is going away having two shots at goal? Enjoy your season ticket.

I do enjoy my season ticket.

I didn't say anything at all about ambition - you added that to justify whatever cause you are promoting - I said that getting enough point to stay in the Premier League was my priority.

For the sake of clarity - my ambition is for us to get back into one of the European competitions - we did that when Roy was here and his priority was always to get enough points to remain in the Premier League.

Deanothefulhamfan

I agree with Roberty in some extent ( shock horror) getting enough points for premier league survival is what every Fulham wants deep down. Regardless of the way we play survival is key..... BUT I would rather us play some decent football in the process, I would take a 17th place finish with us trying to  play decent football and bringing youngsters through, than us say finish 13th with us playing awful football ( similar to how we are playing now )

I know this sounds like a ludicrious statement as our club we love will finish lower, and earn less money for final league standings, but least I would be able to enjoy us play week in week out, and hopefully the youth that have come through would act as a counter balance to our loss of earnings

Deanothefulhamfan

It also must be said that I am not a S/T holder.... but it would make my saturday nights here in Shanghai more enjoyable :)

Roberty

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on September 10, 2013, 05:12:58 AM
It also must be said that I am not a S/T holder.... but it would make my saturday nights here in Shanghai more enjoyable :)

Being in Shanghai would make my Saturday nights enjoyable.

epsomraver

I used to go to football to be entertained, I have not been under Jol's reign, I am not alone in this thinking, I am paying 45 quid on Saturday to hopefully see an improved game, if it is much of the same then I will vote with my feet for future games.

Lighthouse

It still shocks me that Fulham fans after thirteen years in the Prem consider survival before greater ambition. It should be already guaranteed as much as such things can be. Jol agrees with you which is why negative football with attacking players will see us be relegated sooner rather than later.

If we are to lose 1-0, better to have had a shot or two than have ten men behind the ball and consider it a good result to lose 1-0 because we didn't concede until late against a poor side.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

The key problem with the Premier League is that 14 clubs (at least) have no chance of coming close to winning it so their primary aim is to make sure that they don't get relegated.

That's a simple fact. It's not Jol's fault and the truth is that, in terms of league results, he's no better or worse than Tigana, Coleman, Hodgson and Hughes. The first two left when MAF feared relegation and the other two left because they felt they were worthy of better things.

Khan may inject vast amounts of cash but unless he does we'll be a midtable club avoiding relegation until we don't.

An occasional cup run would be nice but the bottom line is that a Fulham manager succeeds if he can cobble together 40 to 50 points however that's managed.

I like us to win home games which we've stopped doing of course but I have to say that I don't much mind how we get our wins.

Burt

But survival is the main ambition, and there is nothing wrong with that. A good cup run is a plus.

We (like most of the rest of the premier league) have no chance of becoming an established top 5 club. We just don't have the size, scale and resources to make that realistic or sustainable.

I have long settled for this "ambition", which after too many years of seeing us scubbing around the lower leagues is something I am actually OK with.

Now having said all that, this ambition is not incompatible with playing well, and the disturbing thing for me last season was the number of games where the team weren't at the races. My hope is that Jol is able to fix that for this season.

jarv

Don't get me wrong with my earlier statement. I meant, given the dire football I would not pay 45 quid on the chance ythat I "might" see a decent game of football and hopefully, win.
If I did live in UK, I have no doubt I would have a season ticket along with all the other old gits and moan about the game every week 092.gif
It is vital Fulham stay in the premier, else I won't get to see them on tv in usa.