more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tim Tebow talk resurfacing for Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback position

Started by Forever Fulham, September 10, 2013, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Uh, oh. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/blaine-gabbert-ruled-week-2-jaguars-ask-tim-203438944--nfl.html

Just look at how empty the stadium got during the 28-2 blowout loss in Week 1 of the new NFL season! 

For those of you who aren't North American, Tim Tebow was a highly decorated/honoured U.S. college (American) football quarterback who has failed to 'stick' with a pro team after the draft.  He won the top honour in college football, The Heisman Award, and led his Jacksonville, Florida-based university team to one or two national championships (I can't remember the number).  It is said of him, "All he does is win."   But he's become a lightning rod of sorts to sports fans, based in part on the showiness of his Christian faith.  And, well, other things.  For instance, he's a virgin, saving himself for marriage.  Ahem.  He often makes a showing of a quick silent prayer on field.  That sort of thing.  I'm not making any comments in that department.  But it's been fodder for polarizing positions among fans.  And he has an ungainly throwing motion when he passes the football.  Sometimes it looks like a wounded duck floating toward the receiver.  It ain't pretty.  Sometimes he can't hit a barn.  Other times he threads a needle.  But he is a natural leader on the field, and teammates tend to love him.  And as rushing quarterbacks go (that's when they run with the ball for yardage, instead of passing the ball), he's top notch.  Anyway, he was just cut by the New England Patriots NFL team, and is looking for a team to make him an offer to play quarterback, even if just as a backup.  Hence, the press speculation about the Jacksonville Jaguars possibly acquiring him.  He still has a huge fan base in Jacksonville and 200 miles  in every direction from that city based on his college exploits. Tebow stories tend to suck all of the oxygen out of the room.  A distraction Khan and coaching staff don't need right now as they try to right the ship.  A distracted Khan is an owner paying less attention to Fulham.

Jimpav

Just because I have a new Step father  051 I really don't care what his other kids get up to..

Rhys Lightning 63

The way he has been treated has been nothing short of disgraceful. Done absolutely nothing wrong for either Denver or The Jets (where he never got a chance to shine) and was never going to dethrone Brady at New England.

Purely for jersey sales, The Jaguars should have drafted him back in 2010 when they had the chance, maybe that's why they want to sign him now, sell the jerseys and push the attendances up. Give him the starting QB role and he will thrive in the AFC South
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

epsomraver

rhyspabsolom

Quote from: epsomraver on September 10, 2013, 11:21:19 PM
What has any of this got to do with Fulham or football at all

Oh, the Fulham owner also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars.
They're an NFL team.

Forever Fulham

Epsom, Tebow is media circus all his own.  Kahn owns both teams. Kahn's Jaguars are currently considered the worst team in the NFL.  I think it's unfair that the team is stuck with that label so early into the season (Week 1), but there you have it.  The Jaguars represent the far bigger investment to-date in Khan's pro sports portfolio.  And if the team continues to do poorly, if it keeps losing, then it will divert the owner's attention away from Fulham and what matters to you and me and the rest of the FofF board.  If, for whatever reason, the Jags decide to offer hometown-boy-done-good a contract, then it will likely create a whirlwind of attention and debate and noise which further detracts attention on Fulham.  I want quiet and success for the Jags, only because it means Khan can turn his attention (and money) to Fulham.  Hope that makes sense.

Logicalman

As per the previous thread about Jaguars, this one will be moved to the Overseas Exiles Forum shortly.

We all know that Khan owns both teams, but the General Discussion Forum is basically for Fulham related posts only. MLS, NFL, etc, etc are posted to the exiles forum.

Thanks,

Forever Fulham

I could care less about the Jaguars.  The post was clearly tied to Fulham.  We vie for the owner's limited attention and available funds.  A Jaguars losing streak and a media circus over a FAMOUS lightning rod player relating to the Jags is only apt to distract our owner from focusing on 1. Jol; 2. how our team is doing; 3. talent acquistion discussions that arise; 4. the stadium and grounds; and so on.  Am I the only one that sees that?  I don't think so.  But, fine, do what you want.

YankeeJim

Quote from: epsomraver on September 10, 2013, 11:21:19 PM
What has any of this got to do with Fulham or football at all

This sort of thread is why this forum was started.  Go on back to the big house with the rest of the proper Fulham fans.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

Well,  the bring-Tebow-to-Jacksonville crowd had their rally and only a handful showed up.  However, in the process of reading that new report, I stumbled upon a reader comments section full of the same assertions: The team's home game attendance figures continue to be very disappointing; and the team's performance is abysmal.  I haven't seen a Jaguars game on TV yet.  Who can give us a first person account of home game attendance and quality of play?  I have a sneaking suspicion that the NFL convinced Kahn of a plan to permanently relocate the team within the next xx years to London, that the move would somehow be more lucrative than staying put in impoverished Jacksonville, that Khan would in the first wave of internationalists bringing the game to a larger fan base.  If so, I think it's a doomed premise.  But  if I'm right, then I wonder if the plan included converting the Cottage into a multipurpose facility... No, certainly this is just fevered imaginings with absolutely no possibility of fruition, right?

YankeeJim

There is no chance the Cottage could be a multi use facility. The NFL needs crowds in excess of 50k to be viable. Besides, the good folks of SW6 would grab their torches and pitch forks if an attempt was made to do so & rightfully so. That & the travel time/jet lag would kill a team. You fly from Frisco to London, play a game and fly back for a game the next Sunday? When do you prep? My concern is that an owner who seems to satisfied with poor on field performances with the Jags will be the same with the Whites. Problem is that poor performances in the EPL are punished by relegation.

A lot remains to be seen.

Logicalman

Barring the exhibition matches that they are slated to be the 'home' team for up to 2016, I doubt bringing any NFL team permanently to the UK would pan out honestly, as there are very few who make up such a fan base that would sustain anything more than those currently scheduled matches.

I guess there is always a novelty value, but once that has worn off, the revenue-to-expenditure would fall off dramatically for anything regular.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Logicalman on September 18, 2013, 09:46:36 PM
Barring the exhibition matches that they are slated to be the 'home' team for up to 2016, I doubt bringing any NFL team permanently to the UK would pan out honestly, as there are very few who make up such a fan base that would sustain anything more than those currently scheduled matches.

I guess there is always a novelty value, but once that has worn off, the revenue-to-expenditure would fall off dramatically for anything regular.

Some have said the same about soccer in 'merka.

Logicalman

Quote from: YankeeJim on September 18, 2013, 10:21:43 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on September 18, 2013, 09:46:36 PM

Some have said the same about soccer in 'merka.

.. and they might well be right!

Forever Fulham

This is all old ground that we went over.  I agree that NFL teams in the U.K. don't make sense.  But the league seems committed to making it happen.  Therefore, since Khan owns both teams, and since the Jaguars look to be playing to a poorly filled stadium, and is reported to have the worst team in the NFL, the Jaguars would seem to be the likely choice for a team to uproot and move.  They don't have decades of storied tradition.  They don't have an entrenched and fiercely loyal fan base.  And the NFL isn't staging games in London as nothing more than a novelty act, or to cater to expatriates.  There is more going on here.  We just don't have the details.

Logicalman

It seems then that either Khan and/or the US powers-that-be, believe this can be a money-maker. Personally I believe that they will have the same issues, perhaps even more, that soccer faced when trying to get a foothold in the US, perhaps even facing a more entrenched public against importing sports from the US.

Obviously the advertisers will look upon this opportunity with some Branston (sorry - relish), until they see the response, which might not be the same as it is over here, at any level. If those that believe they can just up and move teams to wherever they want and expect success, then they need to review the history of the MK Dons. I recall that move, just a decade ago or so, the boycott and furor that ensued took the owners by surprise then.

We wait to see the plans.

sacffc

NFL Europe never attracted more than a trickle of support.  You would think its complete failure would discourage the powers that be from trying to expand to Europe.
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

dino1828

I am a season ticket holder and there first home game sold 60,000 tickets they may be a crap team but they still seal tickets and they are not moving he spending piles of money on the stadium here, they will not sign Tebow GM said they never will, so have a nice day.

Logicalman

Quote from: dino1828 on September 23, 2013, 06:01:56 AM
I am a season ticket holder and there first home game sold 60,000 tickets they may be a crap team but they still seal tickets and they are not moving he spending piles of money on the stadium here, they will not sign Tebow GM said they never will, so have a nice day.

So, what is your overall opinion of Khan as it relates to spending on teams he owns? Is he someone that will stick with Fulham through the harder years?