News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is football suffering a slow painful death?

Started by Tempest, September 11, 2013, 08:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

England, Fulham, the PL all a very poor product at the moment. If you look at the top 4 or 5 teams  in the PL there is some quality there but the manner in which the teams are being managed means the players are being strangled in to playing a restricted role, less fluent attacking role. We have some good players but again the on pitch performances are dire. With Fulham, I guess finger can be pointed at Jol but football in general reflects Fulham quite accurately.

Is there too much money in the game that it becomes so much more important to be functional and just get a result? Is it a lack of quality?  Have managers just run out of ideas? Or is it me?

Englands performance in Ukraine was appalling, no drive, no passion, no attacking. So, are we just going through a lull in the sport or are the moneymen throwing obscene £'s in to the game or the bigwigs at the FA to blame for chasing the £'s?

I would love to see the impact of every PL ground empty one weekend - mass protest. Would be interesting to see the impact. Technically clubs don't need crowd revenue because of the money coming in from other areas. So not even sure the fans have a voice these days?
Live in Falmouth!

ScalleysDad

JBH

If the grounds were empty the impact on football would be huge as the TV Companies would not pay the billions they do now to show games taking place in empty stadia.

jarv

Agree, another yes here. Watching games recently (not just Fulham) it has been like a return to the pre premier days, the old first division. The product became so poor and defensive it was tediously boring to watch. Grounds around the country were becoming half full/empty, not helped by hooligans.

YankeeJim

Quote from: JBH on September 11, 2013, 09:39:04 AM
If the grounds were empty the impact on football would be huge as the TV Companies would not pay the billions they do now to show games taking place in empty stadia.

I'm not sure of that. Series A is on regular broadcast here in the US and the stands always seem empty. Maybe the fans can't be seen because they are on the floor clutching their knee.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

sipwell

Football is suffering because England is underperforming... Interesting idea. Perhaps we should cancel the World Cup because England does not qualify?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Holders

I don't think it's dying but it's certainly changed almost beyond recognition.

Money has become the key objective and until and unless some control can be placed upon that internationally there will just be more movement in the same direction. The "financial fair play" regulations are not the answer - something far more radical is required. It's a shame but there it is.

I shall contnue supporting Fulham out of habit and am thankful that we "made the cut" before our being in the PL became impossible. If forums (bad grammar, I know) like this had existed 20 years ago, we'd have been discussing football and the financial aspects would scarcely have entered into it.

England's malaise is a result of that, not a cause.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

Can't see it here in the US where football is about to explode in popularity. I think NBC was very smart in bidding their billions for the right to broadcast the EPL. Also you couldn't tell if you lived in Germany. The Bundesliga will rule the club scene for the foreseeable future.

HatterDon

All of these comments about the dire state of football today really boil down to one thing: the game lost the magic you felt when you first experienced it, and you've been disappointed in trying to find that magic ever since.

It's nowt to do with fitba; it's about you getting OLD.  092.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

Quote from: HatterDon on September 11, 2013, 10:49:17 PM
All of these comments about the dire state of football today really boil down to one thing: the game lost the magic you felt when you first experienced it, and you've been disappointed in trying to find that magic ever since.

It's nowt to do with fitba; it's about you getting OLD.  092.gif

Isn't that what is often said about the notion of romantic love in a relationship,   more commonly called the 'spark'
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MasterHaynes

Relegation once a upon a time  was just dusting ourselves off and getting ready for the challenge of a new season with much the same players, the crowds might be smaller if bad results continued but there wasn't such a massive drop in income and clamour from players to leave the club. The massive reduction in finance and press exposure which accompanies relegation from the premiership has huge implications, its dropping into an abyss for most teams, even if they have big crowds it's difficult to compete.

I feel this is why many teams play possesion football, passing aimlessly across the pitch from side to side and back, eliminating mistakes, forwards are expected to defend space and cover defenders forward movement hindering attacking play. More and more teams outside of the top six seem to be reverting to this game plan so with prices going up (despite what the papers state this morning as they don't include the travel costs) things don't look rosy.

I think you may be right and may be seeing the start of a downard spiral if we grounds start to see empty seats you cab be sure the TV revenue  will drop when contracts are renewed and then top players will move on to other countries and the prodcut becomes even less attractive.

TonyGilroy

The ever increasing amount of money in football reflects its growing popularity. TV companies wouldn't pay fortunes if they couldn't sell subscriptions and advertising.

That I'm afraid is the fact but old school supporters feel ever more estranged from the players and their culture and we just have to take individual decisions as to whether to stick with it.

I maintain that much of our disenchantment stems from the fact that we're about as high up the food chain as we can be - the only way is down.

Lower league clubs always have the prospect of promotion or at least an outside shot at the play offs.

Forever Fulham

When you attend a game today, have you noticed how many people in the crowd have their faces buried in their smart phones?  Have you noticed how many children today are preoccupied with software on mobile devices, with TV, with passive activities, rather than going outside to play?  That's what's killing this and all games.  A generation is here that doesn't care that much for the [insert name of game here].  They aren't riding their bikes, putting together pick up games, going outside all that much.  Tell me I'm wrong.

HatterDon

Quote from: Forever Fulham on September 12, 2013, 11:58:44 AM
When you attend a game today, have you noticed how many people in the crowd have their faces buried in their smart phones?  Have you noticed how many children today are preoccupied with software on mobile devices, with TV, with passive activities, rather than going outside to play?  That's what's killing this and all games.  A generation is here that doesn't care that much for the [insert name of game here].  They aren't riding their bikes, putting together pick up games, going outside all that much.  Tell me I'm wrong.

It's not just games it's killing. I tire of seeing a family of 5 out to dinner and all five having some sort of device activated to save them from talking to each other.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel