Main Menu

Did we ever decide

Started by SP, September 16, 2013, 09:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

If West Brom was a must win game?

:023:

ScalleysDad

Have to say it was. If you looked at the fixtures when they came out back in July Arsenal might have edged the first home game but for most people WBA at home would have been the proper start of the home campaign with three points. If you still had those nightmares about the end of season performances, lets discount Swansea as one of those days, WBA was certainly a need to win fixture if only to prove Jol had got his team set and knew his first fifteen. If you added the end of the season mess with the home friendlies then you would certainly be hoping that the WBA game would be the turnaround. Finally if you analysed the opening fixtures of both teams and the needs and wants a performance and a result by our lot was essential and the odds should have been favourable based on the WBA performances. With the 'up and at them' approach of Cardiff and Stoke to come and the Champions and silky skills of Swansea in the next few weeks we needed the points, a settled performance and in a way a statement of intent of how we are going to play. Right from the warm ups it was clear we were not up for the task ahead. Focus is essential and the warm ups set the tone. They were flat and messy. I was aware Bent was injured but when I saw the two groups on the pitch and the missing personnel on The Cottage balcony I was somewhat perplexed. A winger who cannot get a cross into the danger area is called a substitute and the lopsided look to the starting eleven spelt trouble. Okay we played alright in parts but we still can't pass inventively, free kicks and corners are often wasted and I do not think Parker and Sidwell running thirty odd yards into a brick wall of Albions back four is the way forward. I recall somebody post match saying that the WBA corner that led to the equaliser was mishit through the laces. If only our lot were capable of placing a weighted corner right into the danger area. What a numpty.   

jmh

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 16, 2013, 10:32:28 PMIf only our lot were capable of placing a weighted corner right into the danger area. What a numpty.   
We did score our goal on a corner, no?  And our goal at Sunderland too? 

ScalleysDad

Quote from: jmh on September 16, 2013, 10:41:14 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 16, 2013, 10:32:28 PMIf only our lot were capable of placing a weighted corner right into the danger area. What a numpty.   
We did score our goal on a corner, no?  And our goal at Sunderland too? 

I get your point and yes we have two goals from corners but due in the main to sloppy defending, What I was getting at was a perfect corner into the mix that the opposition, or us, could attack in numbers whilst the defence is standing rigid wondering where the ball is going to go............... as West Brom did.

HatterDon

Well, both managers are still working and there's been no hairdrying that we're aware of, so it obviously wasn't the "must win" that both teams said it was.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

St Eve

It was a "must win" for us. Low confidence, haven't won at CC for ages, Chelsea up next, difference between 13th and top ten, relegation and comfort, W Brom haven't scored all season, they normally lose to us, haven't won at CC since 1967, manager under pressure, fans getting restless, an endless list. 3points would have changed a lot

Burt

Must win? No... Too early in the season for all that. Although I do get the confidence angle. The fact that we dropped two points at the death would not have been good for that. I just hope the team took the positives from it, as there were plenty.

Deanothefulhamfan

After looking at the teams we have played so far, I think Sunderland and wba will both be down fighting relegation towards the end of the season.

We have 4 points off them, 1 home and 1 away. If we beat sunderand at home and draw with wba away we have not given them an advantage, Saying that I think Saturday was a must win game, more for our alarming home record than anything, We won't get many easier games at the cottage this season than a poor side, with low confidence. Next 5 games are critical 10 points from 15 would be required imo

St Eve

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on September 17, 2013, 01:04:04 PM
After looking at the teams we have played so far, I think Sunderland and wba will both be down fighting relegation towards the end of the season.

We have 4 points off them, 1 home and 1 away. If we beat sunderand at home and draw with wba away we have not given them an advantage, Saying that I think Saturday was a must win game, more for our alarming home record than anything, We won't get many easier games at the cottage this season than a poor side, with low confidence. Next 5 games are critical 10 points from 15 would be required imo
Unfortunately it will be 10 out of 12 assuming we lose on Saturday

filham

The West Brom game was a must win should win game which we failed to win. No doubt we are in for a thrashing at The Bridge, then pressure to get results in the next two games at the Cottage, Cardiff and Stoke, will be enormous.

LordNelson

I believe it was.  These are the types of matches, especially at home, that we "must win" to avoid relegation.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Skatzoffc

The difference, (re crosses), was Brunt. He was awesome all game. Low trajectory with pace but a couple of far posts as well. Easily their best player. I've said before on here that IMO, WBA are relegation material. The only thing they can hope for is that Sessingyon hits the ground running, once his permit is sorted. 
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !