watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

can we somehow return to the days when

Started by Tempest, September 18, 2013, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

if you played well, you  stayed in the team and if you didn't then you were dropped. And also, what happened with players playing in their natural position?

This isn't a rant at Jol, every manager seems to do it these days. I'm pretty sure all 92 league managers know better than me but you know what, I could be on to something here.
Live in Falmouth!

Fulham76

Quote from: Tempest on September 18, 2013, 11:00:37 AM
if you played well, you  stayed in the team and if you didn't then you were dropped. And also, what happened with players playing in their natural position?

This isn't a rant at Jol, every manager seems to do it these days. I'm pretty sure all 92 league managers know better than me but you know what, I could be on to something here.

Far too sensible, I'm afraid!

epsomraver

Quote from: Tempest on September 18, 2013, 11:00:37 AM

How do you know other managers do it? I know ours does but I hoped he was unique for all the wrong reasons.

Craven Mad

The problem stems from the inability to maintain consistency throughout a season.. Players who are regularly in the squad will see their form rise and fall endlessly, due to fitness, mentality etc. So comparing them to a player who comes in for one game is somewhat misleading.

I agree that it seems unfair to drop players who have done well, particularly when others (namely the replacement..) have been under performing. But ultimately, talent will prevail over time.

I'd prefer a squad with good talent, rather than good form...

WhiteJC

Quote from: Craven Mad on September 18, 2013, 11:45:06 AM

your not 'Arry the twitch are you?

epsomraver

The problem stems from the inability to maintain consistency throughout a season.. Players who are regularly in the squad will see their form rise and fall endlessly, due to fitness, mentality etc. So comparing them to a player who comes in for one game is somewhat misleading.

I agree that it seems unfair to drop players who have done well, particularly when others (namely the replacement..) have been under performing. But ultimately, talent will prevail over time.

Steve Finnan played a whole season for us , Brede hardly missed a game?

God The Mechanic

Quote from: epsomraver on September 18, 2013, 01:30:00 PM

Brede's form has been very patchy over the last 18 months or so, occasionally unreal but has also made some really bizarre decisions and put in poor performances.

As for the original question, football has come a long way and squads have got bigger and bigger.  Different opponents need different tactics and different partnerships to nullify and attack.  Only on Football Manager can you play the same team over and over again ;)

Craven Mad

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 18, 2013, 01:07:41 PM

your not 'Arry the twitch are you?

Since when does bosingwa, green, dj campbell and swp count as talent?

Quote from: epsomraver on September 18, 2013, 01:30:00 PM

Of course the ideal is a player who is both talented and consistently in good form. But, as the saying goes, form is temporary class is permanent.

Nonetheless, that's not to say that there shouldn't be some form of meritocracy in squad selection..

ron

Probably everyone else in those days stuck to the rules, with the old "W" formation, man to man marking etc. So the best left back (Our Jim!) was set to mark old Stan on the wing, etc, etc, etc.

Put the new ways down to the opposition getting crafty!