more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (21/09/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 21, 2013, 06:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chelsea v Fulham: Mourinho likely to put clean sheet first

Andrew Atherley expects a back-to-basics approach from Jose Mourinho that makes a Chelsea win-to-nil a good bet

Chelsea v Fulham
Saturday, 17.30 BST
Live on Sky Sports 1

"Bring back Rafael Benitez" is a cry that will never be heard around Stamford Bridge but, in a week where Jose Mourinho lost back-to-back games away at Everton and home to Basel, it is worth remembering that the much-maligned Spaniard won four out of four against those two opponents during his six months in charge of Chelsea.

Mourinho will look for some home comfort against Fulham and this match certainly represents a drop in class from a good Champions League side (Basel took four points against Manchester United two seasons ago) and unbeaten Everton.

Fulham, by contrast, have taken points this season only against the bottom two, West Brom and Sunderland.

Match Odds

Jose Mourinho has built his teams on outstanding home form, wherever he has been, and his Premier League home record in his first spell at Stamford Bridge was W46 D14 L0, while in the Champions League it was W11 D5 L1. The sole defeat came when his 10-man side was beaten by Barcelona (with the winning goal scored by Samuel Eto'o) and that emphasises just how shocking Tuesday's loss to Basel was.

At this stage it has to be regarded as a blip, although there were some warning signs in Chelsea's last Premier League home game against Aston Villa, which they were arguably fortunate to win after key refereeing decisions went their way.

But if we include this season's wins over Hull and Villa, Mourinho's Chelsea sides have won 29 out of 33 at home to bottom-half teams and, if Fulham fall into that category, a home win looks even more likely than odds of 1.32 indicate.

Fulham's best hope looks to be a draw, which they achieved last season with a 0-0 (in Benitez's second match in charge, when the fan hatred towards him was at its height). In the four seasons since the big six was formed, Fulham's away record against them is W2 D7 L17.

Chelsea Clean Sheet

This is a new Chelsea side and they can't be expected to match Mourinho's best teams yet, but there are standards he will expect them to reach, and perhaps especially so now.

One is to keep a clean sheet, which they have managed only once at home this season. In Mourinho's first spell, Chelsea kept a clean sheet in 65% of their Premier League home games and in 63% of their Champions League games.

It is notable that, on eight of the nine previous occasions after a Premier League defeat, Mourinho has had a clean sheet in his next league game (the sole exception came when he lost back-to-back games at the end of the 2005-06 season when the title was already won).

And Mourinho's Chelsea sides have won to nil on every single occasion they have kept a clean sheet at home to a bottom-half team - which has occurred in 64% of games.

With Mourinho likely to insist on a back-to-basics approach, the figures make a Chelsea clean sheet appealing at 1.94, along with a Chelsea win to nil at 2.24. In a match where the home win odds are so short, either of those options looks good for a bigger price.

Best Cash Out Opportunity

With the suspicion being that Mourinho will insist on locking the back door as a first priority, over 2.5 goals looks awfully short at 1.71. In games where the visitors have failed to score against Mourinho's Chelsea sides, only 35% have had over 2.5 goals, which means under 2.5 goals is an interesting starting point at 2.38, especially with the Chelsea strikers struggling for goals.

Recommended Bet
Back Chelsea to Win to Nil at 2.24

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/chelsea-v-fulham-mourinho-likely-to-put-clean-sheet-first-200913-148.html?

WhiteJC

Spurs and Fulham voice rainbow laces concerns as Premier League clubs left frustrated

Joey Barton's rainbow laces. Picture: John Walton/PA Wire

Tottenham and Fulham are among the Premier League clubs to have been left miffed, frustrated and angry by the way the rainbow laces campaign was launched without consultation.

The gay rights charity Stonewall has linked up with betting firm Paddy Power to send laces to all 92 professional clubs in England, plus the 42 in Scotland.

Their hope is that the players will wear the laces as part of the 'Right Behind Gay Footballers' campaign, but the Premier League was not consulted about the initiative.

The lack of communication has irritated clubs, with one telling Press Association Sport that a serious message is being lost in guerilla marketing, while another revealed security officials had to step in after campaigners broken into their training ground and attempted to unfurl a flag.

Champions Manchester United and Tottenham have confirmed they will not be partaking in the rainbow laces initiative, as have Sunderland, Norwich and Southampton.

A statement from Spurs read: "Whilst the campaign message is positive and one we support, there was unfortunately no prior consultation with ourselves, the Premier League or other clubs.

"Such consultation would have enabled us to avoid issues in respect of associated third-party commercial entities.

"We have contacted Stonewall directly and let them know that we are supportive and keen to discuss ways in which we can work together going forward.

"We are committed to working with organisations such as Stonewall and other agencies to eradicate homophobia in football and society."

Joey Barton, one of the campaign's figureheads, wore the laces in QPR's 0-0 draw with Brighton on Wednesday, while Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale confirmed on Twitter he planned to wear them.

His club, though, are another irked at the way the initiative has been handled.

In a statement, Fulham said: "The players have been given the opportunity to wear the laces, entirely at their discretion.

"The underlying message behind this campaign is a good one, and we work hard to ensure the whole equalities agenda is something we are engaged in.

"This campaign was initiated without consultation with clubs or the League. Had we been involved earlier in the process we could have worked with Stonewall to consider it more carefully.

"Fulham remains committed to supporting and promoting equality throughout all sectors of society as our work within local communities would confirm."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will also allow his players to wear the laces in this weekend's clash with Stoke.

"I am personally against [homophobia], for me that is linked with racism, every single week you could find a reason to fight against it," he said.

"It's a kind of racism and that should all be included in the fight against racism. In our club everybody is free to have his own opinion of these kind of things."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/spurs_and_fulham_voice_rainbow_laces_concerns_as_premier_league_clubs_left_frustrated_1_2760376

WhiteJC

Fans entitled to their opinion - Jol

Fulham boss Martin Jol has admitted he was wrong to lash out and react to jeers from fans after last weekend's draw with West Brom.

The Cottagers have picked up four points from their opening four games of the campaign, leaving some sections of the fans unhappy with the progress. The Dutchman left the pitch to chants of 'Jol out' after his side conceded a late goal against the Baggies to go away with a 1-1 draw. Jol labelled the fans actions as disappointing in the post match press conference and he also questioned their expectations for the club. However, the former Tottenham manager believes he overstepped the line and understands that the supporters are allowed to express their opinions. Jol said: "I think it is better not to talk about it, but I did, and I shouldn't have because they are entitled to express themselves. "They pay us to play football for them and they have got an opinion, and to lose (two points) in the 92nd minute was very disappointing - not only for them, but for me and the club. "I talked about the fact that expectations can make you very unhappy at any club - Chelsea, even Manchester United, big clubs, smaller clubs, and especially at Fulham as well."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fans-entitled-to-their-opinion---jol-1635692.html?

WhiteJC

Khan: Statue removal 'the right thing'

New Fulham owner Shahid Khan has said that he decided to remove the statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage after consultation with the fans.

Former Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed, who sold the club to Jacksonville Jaguars owner Khan for £150 million in the summer, previously said the statue would remain outside the ground but the new regime has decided to return it to him.

"Craven Cottage means the world to generations of Fulham supporters, and I have heard from many of them over the past two months," read a statement from Khan on the Fulham website.

"Our supporters' views on the statue have been made clear. I respect Mr Al Fayed and know he had good intentions in paying an individual tribute. However, the removal of the statue is the right thing for Fulham Football Club."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1558398?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Chelsea v Fulham: Martin Jol equally in need of a morale-boosting win as Jose Mourinho

Jose Mourinho is not the only manager in west London to have had a difficult week.

Like his opposite number in the Stamford Bridge dugout tomorrow, the Portuguese had jeers ringing in his ears after a costly late goal and is under pressure to impress a demanding billionaire owner.

But while the expectations placed on Fulham's Martin Jol and the Chelsea boss are worlds apart, their need for a morale-boosting victory against local rivals is equally apposite.

The big Dutchman had fans calling for him to resign after last weekend's draw with West Brom and, while that unrest may be premature after just four Premier League games, Jol has been forced to defend his position for the first time since his appointment in 2011.

The former Tottenham, Hamburg and Ajax manager's contract is up at the end of the season and, while he has the backing of new owner Shahid Khan, his future at Craven Cottage will naturally be the subject of debate when results do not go Fulham's way.

Khan spoke in glowing terms about Jol when interviewed in these pages in August and has no plans to make a change so soon after buying the club from Mohamed Fayed.

But the Pakistan-born businessman has shown a ruthless streak as owner of American football franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars. He took over the Florida NFL team in January of last year and sacked their general manager and head coach within 12 months.

Calls for Jol's head after the West Brom game came from a vocal minority but some supporters are clearly unhappy after taking just four points from their first four games.

Jol last week accused some fans of having unrealistic expectations but has since admitted he was wrong to respond to the flak he received.

"It is better not to talk about it and I did," he said. "But I shouldn't have. They are entitled to express themselves because they pay us to play for them. To concede in the 93rd minute was very disappointing, not only for the fans but for me and the club.

"I do not think there is a lot of pressure on us or on teams like West Brom or Swansea. We are doing better than people give us credit for."

Jol believes the expectations of some supporters should be lowered. "I never fight with expectations because you always lose," he said. "When I went to Spurs, they were 14th and if you had said I would get them to fifth, they would have loved me. Then we were fifth twice and then they said we have to be in the top four."

The criticism has disappointed Jol, who deserves credit for his record since replacing Mark Hughes two years ago. He guided Fulham to ninth and 12th in his first two seasons and is confident fortunes will improve sooner rather than later.

Patience is needed as new signings Darren Bent, Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt take time to settle, so Jol is targeting an inviting run of fixtures after tomorrow's game.

Following next week's Capital One Cup tie at home to Everton, Fulham host Cardiff and Stoke before trips to Crystal Palace and Southampton.

"The draw with West Brom was disappointing but we have had two away matches — Sunderland and Newcastle — and we have played Arsenal, who are always difficult," said Jol, who has built a squad capable of a top-10 finish. "As soon as we gel, we will be fine."

At Stamford Bridge, Jol is up against a manager — and friend — in need of a win after back-to-back defeats against Everton and Basle but recognises the difference between their situations.

"When they [Chelsea fans] were booing on Wednesday, I do not think they aimed that at Mourinho," said Jol. "In our home game against West Brom it was different because it was focused on me. So it is a bit different. I talked about the fact that expectations can make you very unhappy, even at big clubs like Chelsea.

"It will probably be the first time they have ever lost three games in a week [if Fulham win]. It puts a little bit more pressure on them and I think it is a must-win game for Chelsea because they want to be champions. But I am not sure that is advantage for us."

Though he needs a positive result against Mourinho, Jol admits he's glad the Portuguese is back at Chelsea.

"With or without Mourinho, this is the best league in the world but I'm happy that he's back," said Jol. "He's almost like a friend to me — he's a very nice guy so we've got a little connection with each other."

A win against Chelsea — and a manager he only got the better of once during his three years at White Hart Lane — and any uncertainty about Jol's future will be forgotten.

Fulham have never won at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League era — and have only beaten their local rivals once since their promotion in 2001 — but have secured draws on their previous two trips across west London.

Jol said: "Maybe that will help but they have a new manager now. Last year we could have won there so we are quite confident."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-v-fulham-martin-jol-equally-in-need-of-a-moraleboosting-win-as-jose-mourinho-8829460.html

WhiteJC

Chris Baird: Reading sign former Fulham defender

Reading have handed ex-Fulham defender Chris Baird a deal until January.

The 31-year-old was released by Fulham in July, having joined in 2007 as one of a string of Northern Ireland players recruited by then-boss Lawrie Sanchez.

Also capable of playing in midfield, Baird has moved to the Royals after Jem Karacan suffered a serious knee injury in Wednesday's 1-0 win over Leeds.

Baird, who had been training with QPR, won his 61st international cap earlier this month in a 4-2 defeat to Portugal.

Reading are waiting for Football League clearance and hope to have received it before Saturday's clash with Derby County.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24175921?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Martin Jol says Fulham can go to Chelsea with confidence

Manager Martin Jol says Fulham's players must believe they can beat Chelsea in the West London derby on Saturday.

Fulham have drawn five of their last seven matches with Chelsea, but with Jose Mourinho's men struggling for form having lost their last two matches, Jol fancies an upset.

Mourinho has never lost a Premier League home game, winning 48 and drawing 14, an impressive record which stretches back through his first spell in charge.

Jol, though, will focus on producing a positive mental attitude.

"I have to put it in the minds of my players that we had good results (there)," he said.

"I can remember a few games - the penalty kick with Pajtim Kasami that we should have won, but that was for the cup.

"We had a few situations last year in the away match where we could have scored in the last 10 minutes, so we could have had a win.

"It is a good thing that we haven't lost (there recently), although remember that we lost at home (3-0 to Chelsea) a couple of months ago (in April last season).

"They changed managers, although Mourinho plays almost a similar system now to Rafa Benitez. Before Mourinho played a different system in a 4-3-3, he changed it a bit so that is different, but we are quite confident."

The former Tottenham boss has reminded his squad how important the match is for the supporters.

The Dutchman said: "It is 10 minutes from our place, so it is the same as a home game almost.

"We have got good support from our supporters, and hopefully we can do something nice.

"We are in the Fulham area with Chelsea and their stadium is in the Fulham area, so that is why it is a big and important derby.

"If you look at the support we always get at Chelsea from our away fans, it is terrific."

What will be the outcome in the match Chelsea vs Fulham?

Chelsea   
Draw   
Fulham   

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8931946?

WhiteJC

Jol calls for Fulham belief

Manager Martin Jol has called on his Fulham players to believe they can pull off their own 'mission impossible' and inflict a third straight defeat on Chelsea when they head to Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

The Blues slumped to a surprise 2-1 home loss against Swiss club Basle in the Champions League on Wednesday evening, as Jose Mourinho's men failed to shrug off the Barclays Premier League reverse at Everton.

Jol is not having it all his own way this season either, the Dutch coach apologising for his public outburst against those supporters who booed the 1-1 draw with West Brom last weekend, where the home side conceded a costly equaliser in stoppage-time.

While Jol accepts it will be a stern challenge to take all three points the mile or so back down Fulham Road to the banks of the Thames, he believes the squad can take confident from recent performances against their neighbours, having drawn five of the last seven meetings, which included a penalty shoot-out defeat in their 2011/2012 Carling Cup tie.

Mourinho has never lost a Premier League home game, winning 48 and drawing 14, an impressive record which stretches back through his first spell in charge. Jol, though, will focus on producing a positive mental attitude.

"I have to put it in the minds of my players that we had good results (there)," the Fulham manager said at a press conference.

"I don't know what that means to have good results in the away matches against them, but we still know the way we played against them, so maybe that will help.

"I can remember a few games - the penalty kick with Pajtim Kasami that we should have won, but that was for the cup.

"We had a few situations last year in the away match where we could have scored in the last 10 minutes, so we could have had a win.

"It is a good thing that we haven't lost (there recently), although remember that we lost at home (3-0 to Chelsea) a couple of months ago (in April last season)."

Jol continued: "They changed managers, although he [Mourinho] plays almost a similar system now to Rafa Benitez.

"Before he (Mourinho) played a different system in a 4-3-3, he changed it a bit so that is different, but we are quite confident."

Fulham Supporters Trust have given their backing to Jol, who has one year left on his contract.

The former Tottenham boss is hoping to give the travelling fans something to remember from Saturday's early evening kick-off.

The Dutchman added: "It is 10 minutes from our place, so it is the same as a home game almost.

"We have got good support from our supporters, and hopefully we can do something nice.

"We are in the Fulham area with Chelsea and their stadium is in the Fulham area, so that is why it is a big and important derby.

"If you look at the support we always get at Chelsea from our away fans, it is terrific."

Striker Dimitar Berbatov will have a fitness test on a hamstring problem, and Bryan Ruiz (ankle) misses out, but forward Darren Bent should be back in the squad following his own hamstring issues which forced him to miss the West Brom match.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan, meanwhile, believes removing the controversial Michael Jackson statue outside Craven Cottage is the "right thing" to do.

Former owner Mohamed Al Fayed, a close friend of the late performer, commissioned the sculpture which was erected outside the west London stadium in April 2011, but it is now set to be returned to the flamboyant Egyptian-born entrepreneur as Fulham press on with the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand.

"Our supporters' views on the statue have been made clear," said American-based Khan, who completed his £150million buy-out earlier in the summer.

"I respect Mr Al Fayed and know he had good intentions in paying an individual tribute. However, the removal of the statue is the right thing for Fulham Football Club."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8931949/-?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell in talks over new contract

Steve Sidwell: Fulham midfielder has opened talks over a new deal

Fulham have opened talks with midfielder Steve Sidwell over a new deal at Craven Cottage.

Sidwell's current contract with the Cottagers expires at the end of the season and he could leave on a free transfer.

The 30-year-old, who scored in last weekend's draw with West Brom, has established himself as a key player since arriving from Aston Villa in January 2011.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is a big admirer of Sidwell and is hopeful he is will sign a new contract.

"He's done well," Jol told the Fulham Chronicle. "We're talking to him to extend his contract.

"I think he wants to stay."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8931982?

WhiteJC

Chelsea boss wary of Fulham's well of Prem experience

Chelsea v Fulham - Saturday, 5.30pm

JOSE Mourinho says he is expecting a tough examination from Fulham, because they have so many years of experience in the top flight to call upon.

The Saturday tea-time clash is the first of two weekend derbies for the Blues – with a trip to Spurs coming up next week – and the Chelsea boss knows how demanding those matches can be.

"I think they [Fulham] have a very good, experienced manager and an experienced team with players completely adapted to the Premier League," Mourinho said.

"They know everything about the Premier League derbies. A midfield of [Scott] Parker and [Steve] Sidwell. This is a great example of experience at this level. They know how to play.

"They have talented players in attack. In the centre [Dimitar] Berbatov, and [Darren]Bent is fast. I think they are a difficult opponent.

"At Stamford Bridge, they show it's not easy. In seven matches I think they drew four times at the Bridge so the situation is close. We need points. They need points. They have different objectives to us. A local derby is always a local derby. I think it'll be a proper derby."

The Blues have no injury worries ahead of the match as they try to recover from successive defeats to Everton in the league and FC Basel in the Champions League.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/chelsea-fc-ealing/2013/09/20/82029-33866729/?

WhiteJC

Former Fulham defender Chris Baird rejects QPR offer for move to rivals Reading

Rs boss Harry Redknapp said: "We made him a decent offer and were hoping to get it done, then got a phone call to say he's gone to Reading"

Chris Baird and Keith Fahey

Chris Baird has snubbed QPR to join Championship rivals Reading.

The former Fulham defender has been training with Harry Redknapp's side for more than a month and was offered a contract at Loftus Road.

Rangers tried to push through the signing yesterday, only for the Royals to hijack the deal and make the Northern Irishman a better offer.

It comes as a big blow for Redknapp, who has just two fit centre-backs for tomorrow's trip to Yeovil after Nedum Onuoha was ruled out with a serious hamstring injury.

But the former Spurs chief insists QPR did all they could to land the versatile 31-year-old.

"I tried to sign him yesterday but he's gone to Reading," Redknapp confirmed.

Decent offer made: Harry Redknapp says the club were keen to sign Baird
Alex Broadway

"He would've been perfect for us. We made him a decent offer and were hoping to get it done, then got a phone call to say he's gone to Reading.

"I don't know what happened. He obviously got offered more money at Reading and decided to go there.

"We made him a very fair offer and couldn't have done any more."

Redknapp is desperate to bolster his backline and is also scouring the loan market to bring in a striker following injuries to Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson.

He added: "We're looking around for one or two players. We need a central defender and at least one striker."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-fulham-defender-chris-baird-2288355#ixzz2fVKxVGNK
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Sorry Jol looking for right balance

FULHAM manager Martin Jol admits he was wrong to react to booing from home supporters and accepts they have a right to express frustration following an inconsistent start to the season.

The Cottagers have failed to build on their 1-0 win at Sunderland on the opening day, losing to Arsenal and also away to Newcastle before conceding a stoppage-time equaliser to West Brom last weekend.

Jeers and cries of "Jol out" from some sections of the home support followed the final whistle against the Baggies, which the Dutchman described as "disappointing" in his post-match interviews.

Fulham Supporters' Trust has called for everyone to get behind the manager.

Jol has been in charge since replacing Mark Hughes in 2011 and continues to have the support of new owner Shahid Khan – ahead of tomorrow's west London derby with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Jol though, expressed some regret at his choice of words last weekend, when he also questioned what fans of a club of Fulham's stature should realistically expect.

"I think it is better not to talk about it, but I did, and I shouldn't have because they are entitled to express themselves," Jol said.

"They pay us to play football for them and they have got an opinion, and to lose (two points) in the 92nd minute was very disappointing – not only for them, but for me and the club.

"I talked about the fact that expectations can make you very unhappy at any club – big clubs, smaller clubs, and especially at Fulham as well.

"We have got good players, but five of the seven new players were not even there last week so we still have to find a balance."

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/sorry-jol-looking-for-right-balance-29593679.html

WhiteJC

Martin Jol confident ahead of west London derby
Martin Jol is looking for a result as Fulham travel away to west London rivals Chelsea

Fulham manager Martin Jol is confident ahead of this weekend's west London derby.

Fulham have drawn five of their last seven matches against Chelsea, and with Jose Mourinho's men currently struggling to to clinch a win in their last four matches Jol feels the Cottagers can take away three points in this weekend's clash.

The former Tottenham boss wants to instil confidence and belief in his side before the Premier League tie on Saturday.

"I have to put it in the minds of my players that we had good results there," The 57-year-old manager told reporters. "I can remember a few games - the penalty kick with Pajtim Kasami that we should have won, but that was for the cup.

Jol stated that his Fulham side should travel to Stamford Bridge with confidence as recent away games against the Blues have often gone Fulham's way.

"It is a good thing that we haven't lost (there recently), although remember that we lost at home (3-0 to Chelsea) a couple of months ago (in April last season)," the Dutchman concluded.

"They changed managers, although Mourinho plays almost a similar system now to Rafa Benitez. Before Mourinho played a different system in a 4-3-3, he changed it a bit so that is different, but we are quite confident'

Chelsea will not make it easy for the visitors as the Blues will be looking to bounce back after their 2-1 home defeat against FC Basel mid-week.

Mourinho has never lost a Premier League home game, winning 48 and drawing 14, which stretches back through his first spell in charge. The Blues boss will want to extend this record in this weekend's derby.

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

http://www.givemesport.com/382676-martin-jol-confident-ahead-of-west-london-derby?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

Where is Ashkan Dejagah?

From hero to zero; that seems to have been the path of the Iranian winger in the eyes of Martin Jol. Having been one of Fulham's best players last season – although that doesn't say a huge amount – Ashkan Dejagah has been conspicuous by his absence so far this term. He was allowed 84 minutes in the League Cup tie at Burton a few weeks ago but has failed to make the first team squad on every other occasion. Something is up.

In April, Dejagah's season came to a premature end after sustaining an ankle ligament injury in the game against QPR; maybe he's struggling to get back to full fitness. Maybe he'll get more game time in the League Cup game against Everton on Tuesday night. Jol has made it clear that he needs to prove he's first choice in his position but surely the Dutchman can see that his team is currently totally unbalanced; Dejagah is the answer to his problems.

While personnel seem to change with alarming regularity under his leadership, the one constant is Jol's tactical set-up. Four at the back, two deep holding midfielders, two attacking wide men, someone in the hole between midfield and attack, and a lone striker; it never changes. Yet the attacking wingers need to bring plenty to the party; they need pace for the counter, the ability to drive at the opposition full back and beat them both ways, and the work-rate to get back and provide cover for their respective full backs. Dejagah is the only Fulham player fully capable of ticking all of these boxes.

Damian Duff works hard but he hasn't beaten his man since the mid-2000s; Adel Taarabt is a very talented footballer but he has never been someone to stick to his wing, let alone track back; while Bryan Ruiz is no winger and provides an unhelpful handbrake every time he is used out wide. Only Alex Kacaniklic can maybe claim to perform a similar all-action wide role, although he still has a tendency to drift in and out of games. As an opposition manager facing the Cottagers, you don't have to be a tactical genius to pinpoint the isolated Fulham full back as our main area of weakness.

Dejagah's right-sided partnership with Sascha Riether was one of the highlights of last season. The Iranian's drive, hard work and pace caused no end of problems for opposition full backs. But above all, he provided a huge amount of tactical stability to the side; we will struggle until that is resolved. We are in desperate need of balance; we are in desperate need of Dejagah.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/20-09-2013/where-is-ashkan-dejagah/847738?#ixzz2fVMGhAdB

WhiteJC

Chelsea v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Chelsea and Fulham at Stamford Bridge on Saturday Sep 21, 2013, kick-off 17.30 (BST).

Saturday, September 21 2013
Chelsea v Fulham
Stamford Bridge
Kick-off: 17.30 BST.
TV: Live Sky Sports 1, Highlights BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Chelsea (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Cech; Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole; Ramires, Lampard; Oscar, Mata, Hazard; Torres.
Out: Kallas (leg).

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-2): Stockdale; Riether, Hangeland, Senderos, Richardson; Duff, Sidwell, Parker, Kacaniklic; Bent, Berbatov.
Out: Briggs (hip), Hughes (thigh), Ruiz (ankle), Stekelenburg (shoulder).
Test: Berbatov (hamstring).

Referee: Andre Marriner. Matches: 4. R1 Y18.

Team News
Ramires is available following his European suspension as Chelsea bid to end a four-match winless run in Saturday's west London derby with Fulham.

The Brazilian missed Wednesday's 2-1 Champions League Group E defeat to Basle, as did fellow midfielder Michael Essien, who is not part of the European squad, but is available domestically.

Manager Jose Mourinho is expected to rotate his options, with Fernando Torres in line for a recall up front, as he puts his record of 62 unbeaten Premier League games at Stamford Bridge on the line against the Cottagers.

Meanwhile, Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov will have a fitness test ahead of the short trip to Stamford Bridge.

Forward Darren Bent is back in the squad, but Bryan Ruiz (ankle) will miss out.

Defenders Aaron Hughes and Matthew Briggs are still sidelined along with first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg.

Match Notes
Three consecutive losses have left Chelsea facing the prospect of a crisis that had seemed unthinkable only three weeks ago when they were within seconds of defeating Bayern Munich for the European Super Cup.

Jose Mourinho had brilliantly set up his team that night to soak up Munich pressure and pounce on the counter-attack. They have subsequently struggled when they have been required to take the initiative, with Mourinho seemingly uncertain of his best combinations at centre-back, central midfield and through his entire attack.

Fulham have also made a mixed start to the season and the visit to Stamford Bridge against their neighbours should allow Chelsea to get back on track.

Betting: Home 2-7, Away 17-2, Draw 19-5.

Stat of the game: Chelsea have seven points, their worst total from four games for 11 years.

Jeremy Wilson's prediction: Chelsea 2 Fulham 1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10311051/Chelsea-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

No Fulham Offer for Max Clayton Insists Crewe Alexandra Boss Steve Davis

Crewe Alexandra boss Steve Davis has dismissed suggestions that Fulham made a £50,000 bid for striker Max Clayton before the transfer window closed.

Clayton, who has been linked with Arsenal and Liverpool over the last 12 months, has refused to extend his contract at Crewe, which expires next summer.

The 19-year-old, considered one of Crewe's brightest talents, has attracted his fair share of attention from Premier League clubs.

But no offer arrived from Martin Jol's men, Davis confirmed.

"I think that was just the agent doing his job", the Crewe boss was quoted as saying by the Crewe Guardian.

"There's been nothing concrete from anybody."

Clayton has recently been booed by Crewe supporters angry at his refusal to extend his contract at Gresty Road, a situation Davis admits he is uncomfortable with.

"I understand the frustrations", he said.

"Boo him if he doesn't try by all means, but just as he enters the pitch is wrong.

"If they want to boo someone they should boo me. I'll take that away from him. Let the players work hard and turn things around."

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/09/20/no-fulham-offer-for-max-clayton-insists-crewe-alexandra-boss-steve-davis/100976/#wj8Hv1wSxF0X9BbH.99

WhiteJC

Fulham Most Accurate EPL Shooters In The Area In But Is Is Enough To Beat Chelsea?

Chelsea – Fulham

Date: 21st September 2013

Venue: Stamford Bridge

KO: 17:30

Chelsea and Jose Mourinho go into their West London derby versus Fulham on Saturday evening with a lot of pressure hanging over them. Having gone four games without a win in all competitions, this is the worst start ever for a Chelsea manager during the Roman Abramovich era, so can they bounce back against their local rivals?

Team news: Chelsea
Chelsea have no new injury concerns ahead of this fixture. Eden Hazard could be dropped after his poor showing against Basel which might see a recall for Juan Mata. Ramires will come in for Marco van Ginkel, having returned from suspension.

Team news: Fulham
David Stockdale will continue in goal due to an injury to Martin Stekelenburg. Bryan Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov will both be fit for the tie, whilst Pajitim Kasami should also continue to start after making a good start to the season under Martin Jol.

Recent form

Neither team has been in very good form lately. Fulham fans have been chanting 'Jol out' after their 1-1 draw against West Brom last weekend. Chelsea fans also booed their side off after a limp 2-1 defeat to Basel on Wednesday night. Neither team can really afford a slip-up in these circumstances, with pressure mounting on both respective managers.

Player to watch:
Chelsea: Juan Mata

Juan Mata (if selected) will hold the key for Chelsea. He has suffered with fitness and there are rumours that he isn't really a Jose Mourinho type of player. That being said Eden Hazard was poor both in attack and in defence against Basel so will surely be dropped. If he is, Mata can come in and make a real impact. The club's back to back player of the year will have a point to prove and nobody is more capable of opening up opposition sides than the man who created 95 chances for his team-mates last season.

Fulham: Dimitar Berbatov

Much of the attention at Fulham goes to Dimitar Berbatov, but in truth Bryan Ruiz is probably their most influential player. The Costa Rican forward is crucial at linking the play between midfield and attack, as well as having the quality to chip in with goals himself. The 48 chances that Ruiz created for his team-mates last season was more than any of his team-mates.Further to this he scored five goals and worked hard in defence, averaging three defensive actions per game, as well as completing 90% of his attempted 48 tackles. Chelsea's midfield pivot will thus have to watch Ruiz carefully, especially as he looks to get in between the lines.

Prediction
This game will probably be a lot tighter than people think. Fulham will be no pushovers, whilst it may be a nervy afternoon for Chelsea fans who will want their side to bounce back. Jose Mourinho though will surely have an answer to his sides recent slump and get his all-star side to respond with a victory.

2-1 victory for Chelsea

http://squawka.com/news/2013/09/20/fulham-most-accurate-epl-shooters-in-the-area-in-but-is-is-enough-to-beat-chelsea/2013092022049?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Chelsea v Fulham (17:30 BST)

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has not had a good week, with defeats by Everton in the Premier League and then Basel in the Champions League.

They had lots of chances against Everton but, against Basel, I just thought they were trying to be too cute.

You wonder if one or two people are now starting to realise what a good job Rafa Benitez did at Stamford Bridge last season.

Mourinho's first problem is trying to get all of his wonderful attacking midfield players into his system, because he really is spoilt for choice.

His other issue is that none of them are much good to him when they have not got the ball.

Although I still think they will be too strong for Fulham, it could be that he has to try to balance his team differently.

Chelsea have an excellent record in this derby, though, and I cannot see that changing this weekend. If Fulham do win, then some Chelsea fans might be crying for Benitez to come back.

Meanwhile, Fulham boss Martin Jol is coming in for some criticism, which I think is harsh.

I just hope their new owner Shahid Khan was not sitting there listening to chants of 'Jol out' during their draw with West Brom - the Dutchman is a good manager.

Prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24152623

WhiteJC

Chelsea v Fulham: Squad sheets

José Mourinho's second coming has been a splutter to date, the period of adaptation rather too error-strewn for comfort. The visit of local rivals in Fulham, without a win at Stamford Bridge in 34 years and labouring this term, would normally constitute an opportunity for light relief, but it is hard to predict what Chelsea will muster these days. Four winless matches have raised the stakes already. Martin Jol's side will take encouragement from Basel's midweek success here as they seek to kick-start their own campaign, with their former Chelsea midfielder, Steve Sidwell, having opened talks over a new deal at the club. Dominic Fifield

Kick-off Saturday 5.30pm

Venue Stamford Bridge

Last season Chelsea 0 Fulham 0

Live Sky Sports 1

Referee A Marriner

This season G4, Y18, R1, 4.6 cards per game

Odds H 1-3 A 12-1 D 5-1

Chelsea v Fulham: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Illustration: Graphic

Chelsea

Subs from Hilário, Schwarzer, Essien, Bertrand, Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Ba, Van Ginkel, Mata, Eto'o, Lampard, Willian, De Bruyne, McEachran

Doubtful None

Injured Kalas (broken leg, unknown)

Suspended None

Form LDWWWW

Discipline Y7 R0

Leading scorers Ivanovic, Lampard, Oscar 1

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Amorebieta, Riise, Zverotic, Dejagah, Boateng, Karagounis, Taarabt, Rodallega, Bent

Doubtful Bent (hamstring), Bent (hamstring)

Injured Stekelenburg (shoulder, 28 Sep), Hughes (thigh, 5 Oct), Ruiz (ankle, 5 Oct), Briggs (groin, 19 Oct)

Suspended None

Form DLLWWL

Discipline Y7 R0

Leading scorers Bent, Kasami, Sidwell 1

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/20/chelsea-fulham-squad-sheets

WhiteJC

Chelsea v Fulham

By Steve Bower
BBC Match of the Day commentator
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Stamford Bridge Date: Saturday, 21 September

Chelsea captain John Terry is likely to return after being rested in midweek.
Ramires sat out Wednesday's defeat by Basel through suspension but is available for domestic action, while Juan Mata will hope to earn a recall.

Darren Bent is fit for Fulham but fellow forward Dimitar Berbatov will have a fitness test on a hamstring problem.
Bryan Ruiz's ankle injury means he joins Aaron Hughes, Matthew Briggs and Maarten Stekelenburg on the sidelines.

MATCH PREVIEW

The Premier League season is only four games old but the return of the 'Special One' has so far not been a 'perfect one' or a 'contented one'.

It will have been a long week for Jose Mourinho, which will have reminded him once again that he has inherited a very different Chelsea squad to the one he left six years ago.

It's clearly a team that he is still learning about. He's used 20 different players already in the opening four league matches, with varied success.

He has compared his side to "beautiful young eggs" but that is perhaps slightly misleading - the average age of the starting line-up in the defeat by Basel was 27.

Plenty of clubs would be satisfied with a return of seven points from a possible 12, but the fact that it's the lowest tally in the Roman Abramovich era shows how high the standards and expectations have become.

Mourinho isn't used to defeat, particularly at Stamford Bridge, where of course he's yet to lose in the Premier League. But his team selection and the response from them will be fascinating.

Fulham have often frustrated their west London neighbours, taking a point in all but one of the last five derbies.

Manager Martin Jol hasn't yet been able to field all his attacking talent at the same time and is still bedding in some of his new players but his team have only won twice and lost eight times in their last 12 matches.

Mourinho is never far away from any headline, but an unthinkable third straight defeat in eight days would be the only back page news on Sunday morning.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Fulham have only beaten Chelsea once in 34 league and cup meetings, a run spanning 34 years.

That solitary win was 1-0 at Craven Cottage in March 2006, when Luis Boa Morte scored the only goal.

Chelsea have not lost this fixture at home since October 1979, when Fulham won 2-0 in the old Second Division courtesy of goals by Gordon Davies and John Beck.

Fulham's last top-flight victory at Stamford Bridge came in March 1964.

Four of the last five league meetings have ended in draws.

Chelsea
With seven points from four games, the Blues have made their poorest start to a Premier League season since Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003.
Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 11 Premier League games at Stamford Bridge (W9, D2).
Their last home defeat was against near neighbours QPR on 2 January.
Jose Mourinho has never lost a Premier League home game (W48, D14).
If goals from strikers were excluded this season then Chelsea would be top of the table.

Fulham
The Whites are often considered poor travellers but they have claimed 12 league points away from Craven Cottage this calendar year, compared to just 11 on home turf.
Martin Jol's side have won two of their last 12 top-flight matches (W2, D2, L8).
Prior to this weekend, Fulham had conceded more corners than any other Premier League side so far this season (32).
They have managed only 11 shots from inside the penalty area this season, the lowest figure in this season's Premier League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24089657