more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (24/09/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 24, 2013, 07:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol explains Boateng omission

DEREK Boateng has failed to make Fulham's bench because he isn't versatile enough.

The Ghana midfielder has played just once since his summer switch to Craven Cottage and hasn't featured since the win at Sunderland on the opening day of the season.

Boateng wasn't even among the subs for Saturday's defeat at Chelsea, with deadline-day arrival Elsad Zverotic and veteran Giorgos Karagounis preferred in Martin Jol's matchday 18.

The Dutchman explained: "On the bench I have to make decisions, like can they play in different positions.

"Derek wasn't even in the 18 for the last game.

"He didn't play for a year and it showed. He was good in the first hour [at Sunderland] and then he dropped a bit."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/09/23/82029-33878340/?#ixzz2fpZACmV8

WhiteJC

Cup Preview: Looking Towards Everton & The Pressure On Jol
by FPTaylor on September 23, 2013

To many, a grey cloud is looming over Craven Cottage with the promise of a storm. To me, a fog has spread at Fulham FC, mostly thanks to the supporters who seem to have no intention of supporting. This fog is on his way out in time for a mild sunny autumn period. Fulham are without a win in their last five matches, and are without a home win in seven home matches as well. The end of season form from last season was dire, but thankfully we had done enough to avoid what would be a disastrous drop to the Championship. This form appears to have carried into this season, but I would like to point out the lack of a fully fit and yet to gel squad for the reasons towards our four points from five games; which I would like to point out isn't that bad considering that two of our games were against Chelsea and Arsenal, two away games in the North East which I would expect a point at best from. The only one of our first five games where I would say "Yeah, we should win that one" was West Bromwich Albion at home, and we had that win if not for allowing Gareth McCauley five or six yards to attack a header in the 93rd minute.
It's now time again for the Capital One Cup, a cup in which we haven't had much luck in, Fulham haven't managed to get past the fourth round since 2004/05, with Chris Coleman in charge, Fulham had Edwin Van Der Sar, Zat Knight, Claus Jensen and Andy Cole at the club. Everton are probably the worse team Fulham could have drawn, a known bogey side who are also undefeated this season with three draws and two wins including an impressive 1-0 victory over Chelsea. I hope Martin Jol takes the trophy seriously playing a strong team with a minor number of changes; it's key to keep the back four of Sascha Riether, Brede Hangeland, Fernando Amorebieta and Kieran Richardson together, Saturday evening was the first time our best defence had played together so building a continuity at the back is key, though it wouldn't surprise me if Richardson was to be rested with his recent injury record.

As for the midfield, it will be interesting to see whether Ashkan Dejagah will get his second game of the season having not featured for Fulham in the league since our 3-2 win over Queens Park Rangers, also Fulham's last home win in the Premier League. I think Scott Parker will keep his place though he may be partnered by either Derek Boateng, who we haven't seen since Sunderland away, or Giorgos Karagounis. Another decision for Martin Jol will be left wing; will he give Buomesca Tue Na Bangna (or just Mesca to us) his first Fulham start after his first appearance off of the bench on Saturday? I think Pajtim Kasami's place behind the striker will be taken by Adel Taarabt who scored his first Fulham goal in this competition a few weeks back against Burton Albion with Darren Bent keeping his place up front for Fulham. Tuesday night is a chance to prove your worth to Fulham FC, which should be a positive influence on players like Adel Taarabt, Ashkan Dejagah and Mesca.

Our Merseyside opposition also have an impressive repertoire of players and have further improved after the loss of Marouane Fellaini with the deadline day signings of James McCarthy, Gareth Barry and Romelu Lukaku. Everton played a weaker side in the last round against Stevenage featuring the likes of Tony Hibbert and Bryan Oviedo as they scraped into the next round with a 2-1aet victory. I am not expecting a similar team on Tuesday, though it's possible we'll see Joel over Tim Howard and possibly John Stones instead of Seamus Coleman. Other than that, it's probable that we could see Phil Jagielka partnered in defence by John Heitinga with Leighton Baines the obvious choice at left back. Kevin Mirallas could start, though Roberto Martinez may be tempted to give a starting berth to Steven Naismith. I'm also expected a central midfield of recently fit again Darron Gibson partnered by new signing James McCarthy for his first start in an Everton shirt.

With Steven Pienaar injured, we could see Barcelona starlet Gerard Deulofeu on the left for Everton with one of the better performers of the season, Ross Barkley, playing behind on loan Chelsea striker, Romelu Lukaku. After the appointment of Roberto Martinez, Everton have grown to appreciate possession of the ball more, and are more content with circulation of the football whereas David Moyes' Everton was more direct. The addition of more belief in retaining possession increases the effect the two superb full backs of Everton as it gives them more time to get forward and almost play as wingers. Also, the signing of Gareth Barry improves the ability to hold the football and to constantly recycle the ball thanks to his technical skill.

The two dangers Everton have in their back pocket are certain to cause problems to the Fulham defence. Firstly, Ross Barkley, who should play in the no.10 position provides pace, power and first class ability to the space behind a lone striker and could cause all kinds of problems to the defence and midfield, which is why I'd perhaps look at picking Derek Boateng to "man-mark" or "shadow" Barkley giving him no time on the ball at all. If we give this kid space, Everton will create chances. The second player Fulham should look out for on Tuesday evening is Romelu Lukaku. The boy beast, the man mountain, the steam train scored goals for fun at West Brom last season using his freakish genetics (speed and strength) to bully grown men and power his way through on goal.

Now I wanted to use the end of this article to discuss the situation with regards to Martin Jol. The pressure is indeed building, with a firm selection of supporters campaigning to get our Dutch chairman out of the club; but what I would like to mention is, for the first time, he finally has a squad he can comfortably call his own. With a limited budget, he has built one of the better squads personnel wise Fulham have seen, which is commendable. Some would say to that, "but where are the results of this good team?" and it's a fair question, but I would like to add, teams take time to gel and teams take time to grow match fit as a group. Maarten Stekelenburg, a world class goalkeeper, has played once, as has Fernando Amorebieta, Kieran Richardson has only just returned again from injury, Ashkan Dejagah has been injured and yet to be match fit, Darren Bent also barely had a kick last season, so is understandably lacking match sharpness.

People also blamed Martin Jol for Fulham's performance vs. Chelsea, but I would like to ask, what would the score have been if we had gone for it? We were away from home, against one of the best sides in the league. If we had gone gung-ho, I dread to think what Oscar, Eden Hazard and Andre Schurrle would have done to Brede Hangeland and Fernando Amorebieta. Against Chelsea, we sat back and hoped to counter attack and maybe a fully fit, match sharp Darren Bent would have nestle his chance into the goal and it's a different game. The way we set up against Chelsea was to ask them to pass through us, and even though they won 2-0, they didn't. Even though they won 2-0, they didn't have a clear cut chance.

We are improving slowly, though we have our faults. We seem to die out in the second half of games, especially vs. West Brom and the Chelsea game. We blew West Bromwich Albion away in the first 45' and defended superbly well, looking sharp on the counter vs. Chelsea. The second half comes around and the focus, concentration and intensity appears to go, and I simply cannot think why. Is it a fitness issue? Is it a management issue? I can't tell. Another issue with Fulham under Martin Jol is set pieces. It was a problem last season and it's a problem this season, conceding twice from them already. We have no problem attacking, we've scored twice from them this year, but we can't seem to keep them out. Is this Martin Jol's fault? I'm not sure, and I don't think any of us can be unless we sit in on a weeks worth of Fulham training sessions. It may not be Jol that takes charge of practising set pieces; it may be Michael Lindeman or Billy McKinlay.

A win on Tuesday evening would do wonders for Martin Jol and Fulham in terms of silencing the critics, uniting the squad and building momentum for a difficult game at the weekend against Cardiff. I personally am not going on Tuesday night, but those that do, please get behind the boys and support the club. Though we may not be united on Jol in or out, we are all united in being Fulham supporters and we should do our bit in helping the team, not harming it.
The fog is clearing, come on you whites.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/09/cup-preview-looking-towards-everton-the-pressure-on-jol/?

WhiteJC

Jol vows to pick strongest team as Fulham target overdue win

OTHER Premier League managers may use Capital One Cup ties to rotate their team, but Fulham boss Martin Jol says he has no intention of doing so at home to Everton tonight with his side in desperate need of a victory.

The Cottagers only triumph since the opening day of the season came in the previous round of the Capital One Cup with a penalty shoot-out victory against League Two Burton Albion.

And Jol has promised to field a full-strength team against the Toffees, with striker Dimitar Berbatov, midfielder Brian Ruiz and defender Aaron Hughes in line for a recall having missed the weekend defeat to Chelsea through injury, though goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg remains sidelined.

"We need a win," he said. "It's good for the spirit of the team if we get back to winning games.

"In our situation I would like to play as many [first-choice] players as possible."

- See more at: http://www.cityam.com/article/1379977346/jol-vows-pick-strongest-team-fulham-target-overdue-win?#sthash.wcunA7D1.dpuf

WhiteJC

Fulham's Matthew Briggs undergoes hernia operation
FULHAM defender Matthew Briggs, 22, has undergone a hernia operation.

Briggs faces three weeks on the sidelines after his operation [GETTY]

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/340589/Fulham-s-Matthew-Briggs-undergoes-hernia-operation

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Jol must upset Everton FC to boost morale at Craven Cottage

Fulham haven't won at home for six games

Fulham boss Martin Jol is seeking a morale-boosting Capital One Cup victory in the all-Premier League clash with Everton at Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers will bid to respond from Saturday's 2-0 west London derby loss at Chelsea by ending a six-match winless run at home.

The last time Fulham were in action at Craven Cottage they were on course for victory over West Brom, only to concede a stoppage-time equaliser which led to a smattering of booing from the home support at the full-time whistle.

"We need a win," said Jol, whose side beat Sunderland on the opening day and defeated Burton Albion in the Capital One Cup second round for their only wins of the campaign.

"It's good for the spirit of the team if we get back to winning games.

"We played three away matches in the first five in the league. That wasn't easy.

"Against Arsenal (at home), for example, we would like to have got a result and we didn't.

"The West Bromwich game was very important for us and they scored in the final minute of added time. That was a draw."

While many top-flight bosses use the League Cup as an opportunity to rotate their squad, Jol is planning to send out a full-strength line-up which could be bolstered by the returns of striker Dimitar Berbatov, defender Aaron Hughes and midfielder Bryan Ruiz.

Berbatov (hamstring), Hughes (thigh) and Ruiz (ankle) missed the trip to Stamford Bridge, along with defender Matthew Briggs (hernia) and first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder), who are both still out.

"In our situation I would like to play as many (first-choice) players as possible," Jol said.

Jol may have the opportunity to pair the enigmatic Berbatov with Darren Bent, whose lack of match sharpness was illustrated when he fluffed a one-on-one opportunity to give Fulham the lead at Stamford Bridge.

The duo have scarcely played together in the opening weeks of the season – they did so against Arsenal, when substitute Bent scored, and at Newcastle, when the on-loan Aston Villa striker was injured – but could form a potent strike force.

Jol added: "Bent is fit, but Bent didn't play a lot of games for Aston Villa. That is another thing you have to try to put right.

"Also Hugo (Rodallega) was injured over the last two weeks. The time that he played he scored against Burton in the cup."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-manager-jol-must-upset-6083887?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov lined up for return against Everton

Dimitar Berbatov is in line for a return against Everton tonight.

The Fulham forward, 32, missed Saturday's defeat at Chelsea with a hamstring injury but Martin Jol hopes he will be fit for the Capital One Cup tie.

Jol is expected to play a strong side at Craven Cottage, with Fulham looking to build some momentum following their disappointing start in the Premier League.

The Cottagers have not tasted victory since their penalty shootout success against Burton in the last round and Jol desperately needs a win to boost confidence. Fulham, who are without a home win since April, have slipped into the relegation zone and Jol has even faced calls for his head from a small section of supporters.

Bryan Ruiz and Aaron Hughes could also return after missing the Chelsea game. Buomesca Tue Na Bangna, 20, could get another outing from the bench after making his debut at Stamford Bridge.

Midfielder Derek Boateng hopes to be given an opportunity to impress after falling down the pecking order following Scott Parker's arrival. Boateng, 30, who has not played since the opening-day win at Sunderland, told FFC's match programme: "I will play wherever I am told to, whether that is in a holding role or in a more advanced central midfield position.

"I think I had a good summer, and in the games that I was part of I thought I did well. I am hopeful that I can get back in the starting XI and I am certainly working as hard as I can to make that happen. There is a lot of competition for places but when my chance comes, I am determined to deliver."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-striker-dimitar-berbatov-lined-up-for-return-against-everton-8835720.html

WhiteJC

Rusty Schwarzer dropped by Australia just hours before veteran keeper set to make Chelsea debut

Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has been dropped from the Australian team that will play friendlies against France and Canada next month, calling into question his chances of playing at a third World Cup.

Coach Holger Osieck on Tuesday omitted the 40-year-old Schwarzer, who is Australia's most-capped player with 108 appearances, from his 24-man squad to play France in Paris on October 11 and Canada in London on October 15.

Reports in Australia said Schwarzer's omission was likely due to his move from Fulham to Chelsea, which has meant little playing time behind No1 keeper Petr Cech.

Schwarzer, who looked rusty in Australia's 6-0 loss to Brazil earlier this month, is expected to make his first competitive start for Chelsea against League One Swindon in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night.

'I know what he can do. He's our number one goalkeeper,' Osieck said. 'But if I keep playing him, what about the others we may need?'

Dortmund's Mitchell Langerak and Belgium-based Mat Ryan were named instead as goalkeepers.

'Mitch Langerak deserves a minimum of one game because he's a very good servant to our team," Osieck said.

Japan-based Lucas Neill has also been named to the team and, if he's appointed captain for both matches, he will equal Peter Wilson's record of 60 matches as Australian skipper.

Oliver Bozanic, David Carney and Jason Davidson have been recalled after extended absences from the national team, while Tim Cahill and Luke Wilkshie are both set to return after missing the Brazil match due to injury.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2430336/Rusty-Schwarzer-dropped-Australia-just-hours-veteran-keeper-set-make-Chelsea-debut.html#ixzz2fpbXcPQg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton: Capital One Cup match preview
A look ahead to tonight's Capital One Cup fixture at Craven Cottage

Fulham will hope that the return of Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and Aaron Hughes can inspire them to their first win at Craven Cottage this season, when they face Everton in the third round of the League Cup tonight.

The London side find themselves in the relegation zone after a disappointing start to the Premier League season, and were taken to penalties by League Two outfit Burton Albion in the second round.

Holland international keeper Martin Stekelenberg remains on the sidelines after picking up a shoulder injury in Fulham's only win of the league season at Sunderland, as does Matthew Briggs.

Their opponents Everton were also less than convincing in the second round, needing a goal in extra-time by Marouane Fellaini to squeeze past Stevenage.

Roberto Martinez will have to go without the services of Antolin Alcaraz, Leon Osman and Steven Pienaar for the tie, but could give Romelu Lukaku his first start for the club after he netted the winner against West Ham on Saturday.

Darron Gibson and Arouna Kone may return from injury, as the Merseyside club look to continue an unbeaten start to the new campaign.

KICK-OFF: Tuesday, 8.00pm

PAST THREE MEETINGS...

Everton 1 (Pienaar) Fulham 0, Premier League, April 2013

Fulham 2 (Ruiz, Sidwell) Everton 2 (Fellaini), Premier League, November 2012

Everton 4 (Jelavic 2, Fellaini, Cahill) Fulham 0, Premier League, April 2012

STATS...

Fulham haven't recorded a win in eight meetings between the sides, stretching back to when goals from Paul Konchesky and Damien Duff overturned a 1-0 half-time deficit at Craven Cottage over four years ago.

The teams have never faced each other in the League Cup despite playing 58 times since 1926. Both needed extra time to defeat their lower league opponents in the second round, with Fulham taken to penalties by Burton Albion.

Fulham have only one league win this season which came on the opening day, and they are the joint lowest scorers in the table with only three goals.

ODDS...

Fulham to win: 3.25

Everton to win: 2.38

Draw: 3.55

TV: Highlights on BBC, Wednesday at 11.05pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/fulham-v-everton-capital-one-cup-match-preview-8836721.html