https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (24/09/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 24, 2013, 07:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Everton Preview

Fulham - Everton Preview: Premier League sides clash in Capital One Cup

Martin Jol's men are hoping to improve on a poor recent record in the competition but face Roberto Martinez's side who have started the season in some style

Fulham will hope to avoid another early exit from the Capital One Cup when they host Everton in the third round on Tuesday.

The London club were knocked out at this stage in 2011 against Chelsea, before being dumped out a round earlier against Sheffield Wednesday last year.

They have never managed to progress beyond the quarter-finals in the competition's 53-year history.

Their poor record was nearly extended when they almost fell at the first hurdle this time around, with a Hugo Rodallega strike three minutes before the end of extra time taking their clash with Burton Albion to penalties - before they eventually ran out 5-4 winners.

There was a similarly uncomfortable passage into the third round for Roberto Martinez's Everton, who needed a Marouane Fellaini goal in extra time to see off League One outfit Stevenage at Goodison Park.

This game is one of six all-Premier League ties in the draw and, with both sides not in Europe this term, they will surely view the competition as a potential route back to continental football.

Everton have never won the trophy, having lost out in the final in both 1977 and 1984. The first of those instances, against Aston Villa, was decided by a third replay as the first two clashes ended in draws, Villa eventually running out 3-2 winners.

In 1984, their initial final meeting with Merseyside rivals Liverpool ended in a 0-0 draw before the latter won the replay at Maine Road 1-0 thanks to a goal from Graeme Souness.

Victory at Craven Cottage on Tuesday would earn Everton the chance to progress beyond the fourth round of the competition, something they have only achieved once in the last 25 years.

That came in the 2007-08 season, when David Moyes' side reached the semi-final stage only to bow out 3-1 on aggregate to Chelsea.

WhiteJC

Fulham boss assesses Mesca's debut at Chelsea

Buomesca Tue Na Bangna, Fulham. Picture: Andrew Matthews/EMPICS

Fulham manager Martin Jol is excited by the prospect of Buomesca Tue Na Bangna after he made his first Premier League appearance against Chelsea.

The Guinea-Bissau forward, who is known to many as Mesca, came off the bench in the 2-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

The former Chelsea trainee, who has also represented Portugal at youth level, was unable to show his tricks due to the lack of supply but Jol believes he has the talent for the future

"Mesca couldn't show his pace today – he's very quick," the Dutchman said.

"I tried to do something up front with him and said the only thing you have to do is run.

"If the supply isn't there it's a problem. He's a right winger. It's a first step for him.

"He's come from Chelsea. He's been with us for the last two years with two big injuries. He's a good talent."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_assesses_mesca_s_debut_at_chelsea_1_2795717

WhiteJC

Fulham boss bemoans lack of conviction against against 'nervous' Chelsea

Fulham manager Martin Jol was most disappointed at the fact his side couldn't take advantage of Chelsea's problems in Saturday's 2-0 defeat.

The Whites held their own for the first half but a defensive lapse allowed Oscar to score.

The Blues wrapped up the game with a collector's item – a John Obi Mikel goal – his first in 185 Premier League games and ended a 261 game drought.

And Jol was left frustrated after the result as it leaves his side in the relegation zone at this early stage of the season.

He said: "If the opposition have a little problem and I could feel they had a little problem you need to be brave and have more conviction.

"The way we played – we could have done something. The first half was okay – in midfield we played ever so well.

"You saw Fernando [Amorebieta] for the first time – it was his second game after injury. If you defend well against these teams you think you can get a result."

On Chelsea's problems he added: "It's always in hindsight – after two defeats you can do something. I think they were a bit nervous and we couldn't exploit that."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_bemoans_lack_of_conviction_against_against_nervous_chelsea_1_2795719

WhiteJC

Jol eyes Capital One Cup springboard ahead of crunch Everton clash

FULHAM boss Martin Jol admits his side need to get back to winning ways sooner rather than later.

The Whites haven't won in the league since the opening day of the campaign to turn up the heat on the Dutchman.

Fulham's only other victory came in the first round of the Capital One Cup when they edged past lowly League Two Burton on penalties.

The Cottagers host Everton in the second round tomorrow night, and Jol admits his troops need a morale boost.

He said: "It's good for the spirit of the team if we can get back to winning ways. We played three away games in our first five league games, which wasn't easy.

"The West Brom game was very important for us but they scored in the last minute. We need a win."

Jol has been handed a timely boost after star striker Dimitar Berbatov recovered from a hamstring injury and is in contention to feature.

Aaron Hughes is available again after a thigh problem, while Bryan Ruiz, who also missed Saturday's defeat at Chelsea with an ankle knock, could feature.

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/09/23/82029-33876360/?#ixzz2fmzTM2gj

WhiteJC

Bleugh
By rich on September 23, 2013

The defeat at Chelsea was about as predictable as these things get.  Chelsea absolutely battered us for long periods and while we held out for a time, there was no sense of controlled resistance.  The final shots allowed tally was well into the 20s, which is a theme we've all identified and which can't continue if the team is going to pull itself out of this hole.  True, Stockdale was at fault for their opener, but he's made a lot of good saves since his return to the side and the defeat wasn't remotely on his shoulders.

There was a telling moment on Match of the Day where Cardiff's two banks of four were highlighted and praised.   I appreciate that we're not that team anymore, but as Jose Mourinho is pointing out whenever asked about Juan Mata, no team is too good for hard work in defence.  Fulham certainly aren't.

Did you know that Chelsea outshot us 24-4?  Maybe you did.  But I bet you didn't notice that they out tackled us 27-16, too.  (I'm being slightly wrong-headed here, as we intercepted 20 passes to their 2, but still).   Look at the whoscored.com team summary for the season:

That's diabolical.

As we've seen in recent days, the team has had ups and downs like this a few times in the recent past and on each occasion a downward swing has been followed by much better form.

We're due that upswing now, and if it doesn't happen we're in new, bad, territory, and perhaps the angry men have been right all along (although we must remember that many were equally negative about Hodgson, Hughes, and Jol during better times – sometimes it seems as if being negative about a football manager is a minor hobby for many).

It's easy to blather on about things not being well but here, again, is a proposed simple solution: remove one attacking player and introduce one defensive player.  Restore some balance to the team by installing Derek Boateng in front of the back four.  He might not be "the answer" but I was persuaded by Tony Gilroy's interpretation of his performance at Sunderland. Sidwell and Parker are to be defensively minded, too.  These three will be the core of the team, it's soul.  Get back to basics by becoming hard to play against.  Grind out some results.  Earn the right to play.  It's a long season and we have the players to come good, but at the moment we're playing terribly.  A minor tweak like this could make a big difference without sacrificing too much.   Dunno.  We'll see.  Chances are we'll improve without doing much in the next few games so all of this could be moot.  And certainly we don't want to see Jol flailing around for ideas with a new 11 and a new system every week.  So we'll see.  It's not all doom and gloom, but we're due an improvement.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/bleugh/?

WhiteJC

Mesca Keen For More

Buomesca Tue Na Bangna is hoping to build on his Fulham debut by nailing down a regular spot in Martin Jol's squad this season.

The 20-year-old was handed a baptism of fire on Saturday as he made his Whites bow against former club Chelsea, but it was an unhappy ending for Mesca as his current side slipped to a 2-0 defeat.

"The team's a little bit disappointed because we did well in the first half but we didn't use the ball as well in the second half," he told fulhamfc.com. "Then we conceded the goal and it was hard to come back from that, so we're disappointed.

"We lost, but we showed some good stuff in the game I think. It's not an easy game to play away from home. It was hard and the team we were playing is not a small team, they are so big."

After enjoying an 18-minute cameo having come on as a substitute for Alexander Kačaniklić, Na Bangna is now craving more minutes on the pitch to really show the fans what he's capable of.

"The Manager said to me that I was coming on and then he told me to be confident and play on the ball," he said. "I think it was a very big game for me to make my Premier League debut in. It wasn't an easy game to play as well as I can.

"With more time, hopefully I can show my qualities but I'm happy to make my debut and I'm looking forward to playing more games. I want to play in every game, just like everyone else, and prove that I deserve to play. I hope Saturday was the first of many appearances this season.

"I felt great to come on at Stamford Bridge. It felt normal to come on as I've been training with the First Team players, although I think I need more time to get confidence but then everything will be fine. I felt so happy when I saw the fans singing the Fulham songs so I feel like I want to do more to make them feel happier."

The defeat saw the Whites slip into the relegation zone as we enter an important week of the season. Two home matches, against Everton in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday and Cardiff City in the league on Saturday, provide the perfect opportunity for Fulham to kick-start the season.

They're matches that Mesca insists his side will be going all out to win, with the Portugal youth international pinpointing the home supporters as the catalyst for victory.

"We have to keep our heads up and we'll be looking to win both of our games this week – I hope we can do that," he said. "They're both at Craven Cottage so of course we'll have the crowd behind us.

"I'm sure that will help us win because the crowd will stay with us and that will give us confidence, so I think we're going to win."

Everton: Tickets for this match are available on General Sale for just £20 adults and £5 juniors in all four stands. Find out more here.

Cardiff: Tickets are available to all supporters with a Booking History; prices from £35 adults and £15 juniors. Find out more here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/23/mesca-keen-for-more?

WhiteJC

Fans view - Chris Baird

Following the signing of Chris Baird last week, we caught up with Fulham season ticket holder George Johnston (@JohnstonFFC), to ask a few questions about our new acquisition.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1) Were you disappointed to see Baird leave the club in the summer? Was it the right time for him to move on?

Yes, very upset to see Chris 'Bairdinho' Baird leave Fulham, a very underrated player who always gave his all and very rarely let the team down.

2) What are his strengths that you noticed?

His ability to play any position and make it look easy, Right Back, Centre Back or centre midfield he can do a good job.

3) What are his weaknesses that we need to look out for?

In terms of his weakness' he isn't a spring chicken any more and at the age of 31, i don't think he can still play a full 90 minutes once or twice a week

4) Whereabouts on the pitch can he play and how well?

Right Back, Centre Back, Centre midfield, all of these are like second nature to Chris...a real professional.

5) I can remember him scoring a few scorchers last season - were they one-offs or has he got general quality from long range?

He didn't feature much last season for Fulham, but he did score a vital goal at home to Aston villa in a 1-0 home win, A few years ago just after Christmas he scored 2 fantastic early goals in a 2-0 win away at Stoke.

Read more: http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=333248#ixzz2fn0rfuZU

WhiteJC

Fulham set for triple injury boost against Everton

Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov. Picture: John Walton/EMPICS

Dimitar Berbatov, Aaron Hughes and Bryan Ruiz could all return for Fulham's Capital One Cup third-round clash with Everton.

Berbatov (hamstring), Hughes (thigh) and Ruiz (ankle) missed Saturday's 2-0 loss at Chelsea but could improve Martin Jol's options in the all-Premier League clash as the Cottagers bid to end a six-match winless run at home.

Matthew Briggs (hernia) and first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder) are out.

Provisional Squad: Stockdale, Riether, Richardson, Hughes, Senderos, Hangeland, Parker, Sidwell, Berbatov, Kasami, Kacaniklic, Etheridge, Zverotic, Amorebieta, Karagounis, Duff, Taarabt, Ruiz, Rodallega, Bent.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_set_for_triple_injury_boost_against_everton_1_2796308

WhiteJC

Capital One Cup team news: Fulham v Everton

Dimitar Berbatov, Aaron Hughes and Bryan Ruiz could all return for Fulham's Capital One Cup third-round clash with Everton.

Berbatov (hamstring), Hughes (thigh) and Ruiz (ankle) missed Saturday's 2-0 loss at Chelsea but could improve Martin Jol's options in the all-Premier League clash as the Cottagers bid to end a six-match winless run at home.

Matthew Briggs (hernia) and first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder) are out.

Midfielder Darron Gibson could be set for his first appearance of the season for Everton. The Republic of Ireland international has been out with a knee injury but manager Roberto Martinez now considers him fully fit.

Changes are expected from the side which beat West Ham at the weekend but midfielder Steven Pienaar, Antolin Alcaraz (both hamstring) and Leon Osman (groin) will not be risked.

Provisional squads:

Fulham: Stockdale, Riether, Richardson, Hughes, Senderos, Hangeland, Parker, Sidwell, Berbatov, Kasami, Kacaniklic, Etheridge, Zverotic, Amorebieta, Karagounis, Duff, Taarabt, Ruiz, Rodallega, Bent.

Everton: Robles, Hibbert, Heitinga, Jagielka, Oviedo, Naismith, Stones, Deulofeu, Kone, Barkley, Howard, Coleman, Mirallas, Jelavic, Baines, McCarthy, Barry, Lukaku.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-09-23/capital-one-cup-team-news-fulham-v-everton/?

WhiteJC

Capital One Cup – Everton value at 6/5 for another victory in London
After gunning down the Hammers in the league Martin Jol's slow-starting Fulham are in the Toffees' crosshairs.

Everton came from behind twice at West Ham at the weekend to win 3-2 and climb up to sixth in the Premier League and swapping east for west London when they face Fulham in the Capital One Cup can yield another success for Roberto Martinez's side at odds of 6/5.

Martin Jol's Cottagers are 21/10 to halt a miserable run of five games in all competitions without a win in normal time and it's 23/10 about the draw.

Martinez has thus far confounded critics who questioned whether the Spaniard was ready to leave the comfort of lowly Wigan for the brighter lights of Merseyside by going unbeaten since taking over at Goodison Park.

After Liverpool's 1-0 loss against Southampton, Everton are now the only Premier League team that have dodged a loss so far this term and a successful summer on the transfer front suggests there is more to come from the former DW Stadium boss and his charges.

Having led Wigan to FA Cup success last year the 16/1 about Martinez repeating that trick in this slightly less-glamorous competition has to be worth a second look.

Everton made seven changes from their previous league match in the second round stoppage-time victory against Stevenage, but after strengthening his squad considerably on the final day of the transfer window Martinez has plenty of options to freshen up the first-team without a big downturn in quality.

Striker Romelu Lukaku, midfielder James McCarthy and highly-rated England Under-21 defender John Stones are all in-line for a start and they should be too strong for a Fulham team that seem to have forgotten where the goal is.

Jol's side slipped into the bottom three after managing just one shot on target in their 2-0 loss at neighbours Chelsea and a paltry tally of three strikes in the league so far sees them ranked as joint-lowest top flight scorers.

Their opponents have kept clean sheets in three out of six matches so far this season, including three in their last four league games and an Everton win to nil bet at 3/1 could be the best way to boost your profits here.

Top bet: Everton to beat Fulham @ 6/5

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/cups/capital-one-cup/capital-cup-everton-65-victory-london,45383.html?#sthash.5cqGMcfN.dpuf

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton preview

Midfielder Darron Gibson could be set for his first appearance of the season in the Capital One Cup tie at Fulham.

The Republic of Ireland international has been out with a knee injury but manager Roberto Martinez now considers him fully fit.

Changes are expected from the side which beat West Ham at the weekend but midfielder Steven Pienaar, Antolin Alcaraz (both hamstring) and Leon Osman (groin) will not be risked.

http://www.football365.com/match/3668123/preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton

CAPITAL ONE CUP THIRD ROUND
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Tuesday, 24 September
Coverage: Watch highlights on The League Cup Show on Wednesday at 23:05 BST, BBC One.

Dimitar Berbatov, Aaron Hughes and Bryan Ruiz could all return from injury for Fulham's League Cup third-round tie with Everton.

Matthew Briggs and goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg are still sidelined.

Everton pair Darron Gibson and Arouna Kone are expected to make their comebacks from knee problems.

Manager Roberto Martinez is expected to make changes but Antolin Alcaraz, Leon Osman and Steven Pienaar are nursing injuries and will not be risked.

MATCH PREVIEW
Fulham and Everton have failed to make an impact in the League Cup in recent years and both clubs made an ominous start to this season's competition, requiring extra-time to overcome lower league opposition in the last round.

Hugo Rodallega's 117th-minute goal gave Fulham a 5-4 win against League Two Burton Albion, while Everton needed a late Marouane Fellaini strike to defeat League One side Stevenage at Goodison Park.

Fulham have not progressed beyond the third round since 2004 and their failure to win at home since April does not bode well for their prospects on Tuesday night.

Everton are unbeaten this season but they have only once reached the League Cup fourth round in the last quarter of a century. That came in the 2007-08 season, when David Moyes' side advanced to the semi-finals before succumbing 3-1 on aggregate to Chelsea.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
Everton are unbeaten against Fulham in their last eight clashes in all competitions, winning six and drawing two.

Fulham have enjoyed just one home win in their last five games against the Toffees in all competitions, losing two and drawing two.

Fulham
Fulham are without a win in the League Cup in their last four games (D2, L2), failing to score in three of those fixtures.

They have never progressed beyond the quarter-finals.

The Cottagers are winless in their last six home matches (D1, L5).

Bryan Ruiz has scored in each of Fulham's last two home games against Everton.

Everton
Everton are unbeaten in all competitions this season, with three wins and three draws.

However, they have managed just one win in their last six League Cup games on the road, losing four and drawing one.

They have twice been runners-up in this competition, in 1977 and 1984.

WhiteJC

Cottagers boss' cup boost hope

Fulham boss Martin Jol is seeking a morale-boosting Capital One Cup victory in the all-Premier League clash with Everton at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.

The Cottagers will bid to respond from Saturday's 2-0 west London derby loss at Chelsea by ending a six-match winless run at home. The last time Fulham were in action at Craven Cottage they were on course for victory over West Brom, only to concede a stoppage-time equaliser which led to a smattering of booing from the home support at the full-time whistle. "We need a win," said Jol, whose side beat Sunderland on the opening day and defeated Burton in the Capital One Cup second round for their only wins of the campaign.

"It's good for the spirit of the team if we get back to winning games. "We played three away matches in the first five in the league. That wasn't easy. "Against Arsenal (at home), for example, we would like to have got a result and we didn't. "The West Bromwich game was very important for us and they scored in the final minute of added time.

That was a draw." While many top-flight bosses use the League Cup as an opportunity to rotate their squad, Jol is planning to send out a full-strength line-up which could be bolstered by the returns of striker Dimitar Berbatov, defender Aaron Hughes and midfielder Bryan Ruiz.

Berbatov (hamstring), Hughes (thigh) and Ruiz (ankle) missed the trip to Stamford Bridge, along with defender Matthew Briggs (hernia) and first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder), who are both still out. "In our situation I would like to play as many (first-choice) players as possible," Jol said.

Jol may have the opportunity to pair the enigmatic Berbatov with Darren Bent, whose lack of match sharpness was illustrated when he fluffed a one-on-one opportunity to give Fulham the lead at Stamford Bridge.

The duo have scarcely played together in the opening weeks of the season - they did so against Arsenal, when substitute Bent scored, and at Newcastle, when the on-loan Aston Villa striker was injured - but could form a potent strike force. Jol added: "Bent is fit, but Bent didn't play a lot of games for Aston Villa.

That is another thing you have to try to put right. "Also Hugo (Rodallega) was injured over the last two weeks.

The time that he played he scored against Burton in the cup. "Hopefully we can get him fit in the next couple of weeks, Bryan Ruiz comes back and Berbatov, hopefully, and there's more goals in us." A young player waiting for an opportunity up front is Buomesca Tue Na Bangna, who made his debut against former club Chelsea.

The 20-year-old is eager for another opportunity, either against Everton or on Saturday against Cardiff. "I want to play in every game, just like everyone else, and prove that I deserve to play," he told fulhamfc.com. "We have to keep our heads up and we'll be looking to win both of our games this week - I hope we can do that."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-boss-cup-boost-hope-1637956.html?

WhiteJC

Capital One Cup: Martin Jol admits Fulham 'need a win' against Everton

Fulham boss Martin Jol admits he is desperate for a morale-boosting Capital One Cup victory against Everton at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.

The Cottagers have not won any of their last six matches at home, and go into the game on the back of a 2-0 Premier League defeat at Chelsea on Saturday.

In their last home game, they were winning 1-0 against West Brom only to concede a last-minute equaliser and that led to a few boos around the Cottage.

"We need a win," admitted Jol. "It's good for the spirit of the team if we get back to winning games. We played three away matches in the first five in the league. That wasn't easy.

"Against Arsenal (at home), for example, we would like to have got a result and we didn't.

"The West Bromwich game was very important for us and they scored in the final minute of added time. That was a draw."

Jol is therefore planning to send out a full-strength team which could be bolstered by the return of Dimitar Berbatov, defender Aaron Hughes and midfielder Bryan Ruiz.

All three missed the Stamford Bridge trip with injuries but they should be ready for Everton.

"In our situation, I would like to play as many (first-choice) players as possible," said Jol, who is hoping a strike-force of Berbatov and Darren Bent starts producing goals.

"Darren Bent is fit, but Bent didn't play a lot of games for Aston Villa. That is another thing you have to try to put right.

"Also Hugo (Rodallega) was injured over the last two weeks. The time that he played he scored against Burton in the cup.

"Hopefully we can get him fit in the next couple of weeks, Bryan Ruiz comes back and Berbatov, hopefully, and there's more goals in us."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8938067?

WhiteJC

A Bright Future

It`s not a nice feeling being in one of the relegation places.

Already it`s bringing back memories of that dramatic season whereby we orchestrated that great escape by getting a result down at Fratton Park.

I know its early days but already I`m, after another poor performance at Chelsea, looking for something positive.

Perhaps I`ll join Martin Jol in looking towards the future and the role our young Portuguese winger, Buomesca Tue Na Banga can play.

Now recovered from his serious knee injury, the twenty year-old received the following comments from Jol, after his run-out at Stamford Bridge,

"He is very quick and I tried to do something up front with him. I said 'All you have to do is run`

"It`s the first step for him. He has been with us for two years. He had a big injury but is a good talent."

But is this the season he`ll blossom or will it be next season?

Your thoughts would be most welcome!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=333308#ixzz2fpWq4goz

WhiteJC

100 Up!

It`s not surprising we`re occupying one of the relegation slots when you consider the following statistic!

It would appear that in the five games we`ve played so far, we`ve allowed our opponents to unleash a huge 100 shots, okay some might have gotten blocked but that equates to a massive 20 shots per game.

Incidentally, no other club in the Premier League has gotten anywhere near that figure of 100!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=333309#ixzz2fpX4kdUN

WhiteJC

Cardiff boss takes aim at West Ham and Fulham after Spurs loss

Cardiff manager Malky Mackay believes his side's experiences in the Championship mean they will cope better than most with any fixture congestion when they meet West Ham in the Capital One Cup.

The Bluebirds head to Upton Park on Tuesday night for a third-round clash that will take place just two days after their gut-wrenching 1-0 defeat to Tottenham, thanks to Paulinho's stoppage-time winner.

Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas has been heavily critical of his side's cup meeting with Aston Villa on Tuesday, their third game in six days.

But Cardiff's clash with the Hammers is the second of their own run of three games in six days, with a Premier League trip to Fulham on the agenda on Saturday.

Mackay is expected to rotate his squad against Sam Allardyce's team, but expects there to be no drop in the full-blooded effort he has seen in their Premier League fixtures.

"I think it is easier for us to retain that work-rate when we have a number of games as there are slightly fewer games than in the Championship, where we regularly played Tuesday and Saturday," he said.

"You now have more time to recover and we have a lot of good people here in terms of our sport science and medical people who help the players recover.

"They are a very fit bunch, they run hard for each other and that will not change over the course of the season.

"No matter what happens in terms of results the effort will not change, it has not for two years and it will not start now.

"We were terrific against a real top team on Sunday.

"We have played three of last season's top six at home and we have absolutely gone at them toe to toe and our fans have seen that and I am very proud of them and going forward I am glad to be in the trenches with them."

Striker Andreas Cornelius is set to miss out again against West Ham as the Dane tries to shake off an ankle injury suffered at Accrington in the last round.

It has been an injury-hit start to the 20-year-old's time with the club, but Mackay has reassured the £8million forward the pressure will be off him when he returns to full fitness.

"We have sat down and spoken about it to him," said Mackay.

"He realises that so there is no pressure. He is a youngster who has signed a long-term contract at the club, a five-year deal, he is here for a long time and does not need to come here and hit the ground running.

"We have got other forwards. Fraizer Campbell has shown why he is a Premier League player already so it is about nurturing people and bringing them through.

"We did the same with Kim Bo-Kyung last year in terms of adapting and we will do the same with any other players."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/cardiff_boss_takes_aim_at_west_ham_and_fulham_after_spurs_loss_1_2796931

WhiteJC

Fulham boss outlines plans for Everton clash

Fulham boss Martin Jol is seeking a morale-boosting Capital One Cup victory in the all-Premier League clash with Everton at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.

The Cottagers will bid to respond from Saturday's 2-0 west London derby loss at Chelsea by ending a six-match winless run at home.

The last time Fulham were in action at Craven Cottage they were on course for victory over West Brom, only to concede a stoppage-time equaliser which led to a smattering of booing from the home support at the full-time whistle.

"We need a win," said Jol, whose side beat Sunderland on the opening day and defeated Burton Albion in the Capital One Cup second round for their only wins of the campaign.

"It's good for the spirit of the team if we get back to winning games.

"We played three away matches in the first five in the league. That wasn't easy.

"Against Arsenal (at home), for example, we would like to have got a result and we didn't.

"The West Bromwich game was very important for us and they scored in the final minute of added time. That was a draw."

While many top-flight bosses use the League Cup as an opportunity to rotate their squad, Jol is planning to send out a full-strength line-up which could be bolstered by the returns of striker Dimitar Berbatov, defender Aaron Hughes and midfielder Bryan Ruiz.

Berbatov (hamstring), Hughes (thigh) and Ruiz (ankle) missed the trip to Stamford Bridge, along with defender Matthew Briggs (hernia) and first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder), who are both still out.

"In our situation I would like to play as many (first-choice) players as possible," Jol said.

Jol may have the opportunity to pair the enigmatic Berbatov with Darren Bent, whose lack of match sharpness was illustrated when he fluffed a one-on-one opportunity to give Fulham the lead at Stamford Bridge.

The duo have scarcely played together in the opening weeks of the season - they did so against Arsenal, when substitute Bent scored, and at Newcastle, when the on-loan Aston Villa striker was injured - but could form a potent strike force.

Jol added: "Bent is fit, but Bent didn't play a lot of games for Aston Villa. That is another thing you have to try to put right.

"Also Hugo (Rodallega) was injured over the last two weeks. The time that he played he scored against Burton in the cup.

"Hopefully we can get him fit in the next couple of weeks, Bryan Ruiz comes back and Berbatov, hopefully, and there's more goals in us."

A young player waiting for an opportunity up front is Buomesca Tue Na Bangna, who made his debut against former club Chelsea.

The 20-year-old is eager for another opportunity, either against Everton or on Saturday against Cardiff.

"I want to play in every game, just like everyone else, and prove that I deserve to play," he told fulhamfc.com.

"We have to keep our heads up and we'll be looking to win both of our games this week - I hope we can do that."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_outlines_plans_for_everton_clash_1_2796936

jarv

Jol stating we need a win. talk about stating the bleeding obvious (as Basil Fawlty said). fp.gif

WhiteJC

Feeble Fulham must change

Defeat in the derby told us nothing that has not been blindingly obvious for some time. The storm clouds have been gathering for a year now as the good ship Fulham heads for the rocks. Only a man who has lost all reason would deny we have a significant problem. The system deployed is manifestly failing -- and this is not misinformed opinion from one aggrieved bolshie blogger. The facts are staring us in the face. The table does not lie.

In preparing to face Chelsea last Saturday, the staff at Motspur had all week to work on a system that precluded last season's top-scorer Dimitar Berbatov. We've heard enough press conferences from Martin Jol now to read between the lines, and it was evident that Berbatov's hamstring was going to need a full week's rest. But counterbalancing that was the good news Darren Bent would be fit to return.

Fulham's gameplan then didn't take much working out. We had no options to lead the attack other than Bent; it was just a question of who made up the supporting cast. What was the end product witnessed at the Bridge? One solitary chance from the whole game, where Bent raced clear, only to scuff his shot too close to the keeper.

Don't blame Bent for the miss. We are paying this guy a king's ransom each week to fire the bullets we know he is capable of. Heaven knows, we were desperate enough to secure him. But when your prized asset is so starved of service over the course of 90 minutes, serious questions must be put to the coaching staff. The statistics are damning, Jol -- and impossible to defend. Your system is broken.

This state of affairs is not the fault of the players, who turned in an admirable first 45 minutes. Fulham deservedly went in at 0-0. But when it came to stepping it up or adopting a more aggressive approach, Jol's team again found it beyond them. Once the first went in, a scruffy goal to concede, it was all downhill. Fulham finished well beaten even though Chelsea were far from their best.

We have been here so many times. It is immensely frustrating waiting for change and dispiriting to be sitting here repeating themes we have aired for months. Fulham have not come from behind in a league game since January 2012. Jol's record since last spring of just two wins in 13 games is even worse than Paolo Di Canio's. Now that Sunderland have done the sensible thing, it is Jol who finds himself the new bookie's favourite for the chop.

All the hallmarks from this latest loss were apparent in a deflating and drab derby with the old enemy. Toothless in attack, with just two efforts on goal to trouble Petr Cech. Vulnerable again from corners. Defending deeper the longer the match goes on. Tired legs running on empty late in the game with a team of old men. Poor selection policy (Damien Duff at 34 is starting?) and use of substitutes.

Shahid Khan doesn't need to be sitting in the stands for these games, nor does he need a coaching badge in football. One fax at the final whistle quoting the match stats will tell him all he needs to know. This man has an agile business brain. Unlike his octogenarian predecessor, he's in no need of a team of advisors to tell him what's going on. After a prudent period of grace, he's now announced removal of the detested Michael Jackson statue. Who falls next?

What needs to be done to turn things around? People on all the FFC forums are not just expressing their displeasure with the manager, more worryingly are sentiments like, "It's just not fun anymore; I can't justify the cost of tickets for this awful football; the mood at the Cottage is grim." These are views Khan will take seriously, views which go beyond fan abuse of the gaffer and mudslinging.

Could the Dutchman salvage our season? It's possible. Fernando Amorebieta made an assured full debut in trying circumstances. We have big names to come back from injury, Berbatov, for instance, for Tuesday's cup tie with Everton. Scott Parker again showed leadership qualities. People are making comparisons with the Sanchez era but the squad we have now is far superior.

The conundrum is that Jol, a poor tactician and communicator, cannot fashion them into a team. Rene Meulensteen cannot start work quickly enough. Pray he joins the staff this week. Jol needs to start listening to others and get Fulham playing to their strengths. Some feel old-style 4-4-2 is too unsophisticated for the modern EPL. With Bent and Berbatov on the roster, that's the system I would play. Keep it simple, give the players specific, clearly-defined roles and drill them obsessively (remind you of someone?).

Jol has been labouring since 2011 to get Fulham adapting to his lone striker supported by 'four floating interchangeable midfielders'. This is madness. It is creating chaos and confusion, not helped by inconsistent selection choices. As an example, I would tell Ashkan Dejagah he is my first-choice winger till Christmas -- even if he has the odd bad game. I'm sorry, but Duff is emphatically not the future. How Fulham must regret not nailing both Bakary Sako and Tom Huddlestone in the summer. These were supposedly done deals?

That's enough for now. Plenty for us to digest, and all before we're back again with a preview of the Tuesday night cup tie with Everton. I'm looking forward to that one -- not least to gauge what reception Jol gets from the fans.

Tough times at Fulham. This is the first period of more than 48 hours I've blogged with the Whites sitting in the bottom three. More than ever it's time to keep the faith. But after the dreaded vote of confidence at the week-end, I reckon Martin Jol is now just a couple more poor results from being shown the door in SW6.

twitter@fulhamphil

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1345?&cc=5739