watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Paris

Started by aaronmcguigan, September 24, 2013, 11:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronmcguigan

Heading to Paris at the end of the week with the ladyfriend.
Any of you got any useful tourist tips / advice. Staying at the Kyriad close to Disneyland, but will spend a lot of time in central Paris.

Any help appreciated

Sammyffc

Make sure you've got liam neeson on standby incase you get taken  :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:

No need to praise me , such an amazing joke  094.gif

chiefo

Paris a great city for that, but take a lot of dosh you're gonna need plenty.  The Louvre is a must .  092.gif

wonderfulthingFFC

Quote from: Sammyffc on September 25, 2013, 12:36:24 AM
Make sure you've got liam neeson on standby incase you get taken  :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:

No need to praise me , such an amazing joke  094.gif
go to Cafe Varenne and say hello to Eric for me, on the corner of rue de varenne and rue du bac, used to be my local when i lived there and travelled back for every game

costarican white

Lovely city, one tip I constantly give to my friends is -if you don´t speak french- you do better with spanish than english, french people is not that eaguer to speak english... I guess is not that helpful for you.

Here´s a good one, do not stop to talk or even see to the eye to the street sellers, they are quite annoying and can sell you your own mother if you let them, it is that disturbing and they are all over the main attractions.

Subway is not as clear as London, be careful with that.

Enjoy!!!
Wherever there's a Costa Rican... there's peace.

Logicalman

Thanks for these replies y'all, I'm looking to take the trouble over there for her mid-Century next year, and the last time I went there was nigh on 40 years back (and they deported me that time!!)

The Equalizer

A word of warning to Americans: The sign on the front of Notre Dame de Paris that states 'NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY' and 'NO TALKING WHILE THE SERVICE IS ON' is there to be ignored as best as possible.

At least that's what old Fred and Wilma did when I was last there mid-service with the choir singing the most beautiful and haunting hymns when suddenly there's a massive flash-bomb goes off, the whole cathedral is lit up with the light of 10 suns and the choir stop dead, then I hear very loudly:

"Oh my Gwooaaad, look Howie, that's just so beautiful!"

Truly the most ignorant couple I've ever come across in my life.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Logicalman

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 25, 2013, 01:11:32 PM
A word of warning to Americans: The sign on the front of Notre Dame de Paris that states 'NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY' and 'NO TALKING WHILE THE SERVICE IS ON' is there to be ignored as best as possible.

At least that's what old Fred and Wilma did when I was last there mid-service with the choir singing the most beautiful and haunting hymns when suddenly there's a massive flash-bomb goes off, the whole cathedral is lit up with the light of 10 suns and the choir stop dead, then I hear very loudly:

"Oh my Gwooaaad, look Howie, that's just so beautiful!"

Truly the most ignorant couple I've ever come across in my life.

Uh-huh, I'll keep that in mind Mr Eq (or at least let the other half know)

Berserker

Paris is magical, love it. Only been once but want to go back. Yes try to speak French if possible, saying that if you are rubbish like me they soon start speaking English back to you. I found that when i went into a restaurant they presumed i wanted to eat rubbishy English junk food, and was surprised when i wanted somthing French.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

FFC1987

I went last year and loved it. I'd recommend at least visiting sac re cur for the views at the top, the guys drawing in the streets and for the church. I got some amazing macaroons there too. All sorts of strange flavours like passionfruit and oregano flavour!

Kentish Gent

As Michael McIntyre would say: "Paris is my very FAVOURITE city in the whole world". And it is.

For a never-to-be-forgotten treat for you and your lady, have dinner at La Coupole, the largest and most famous bistro in the city. Ask for a table near the centre of the restaurant, and enjoy people watching as much as you enjoy the food. Fabulous atmosphere, and take a look at the paintings above the pillars - they were all done by famous artists in exchange for a meal.

Alternatively, get a bateau mouche, one of the glass-topped river cruisers which take you up and down the Seine so you see all the sights. Push the boat out ('scuse dreadful pun!) by having lunch or dinner on board.

And have a great time.

aaronmcguigan

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Will try and pack in all the suggestions as ell as brushing off my A Level french!

HatterDon

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on September 25, 2013, 02:14:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Will try and pack in all the suggestions as ell as brushing off my A Level french!

On our last visit, I spoke mostly German. I got FANTASTIC service. it was a significant improvement over the visits where I spoke English.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Vinnieffc

I have been to Paris many times and would recommend a dinner cruise on the Seine on a 'Bateau Mouche'. From what I remember they have dinner packages which include wine, however be wary they have limited supplies and my alcohol intake was drastically reduced due to a party of very thirsty Scandinavians hogging the booze.. Well worth doing though for great sights of all the imposing landmarks by night enhanced by brilliant lighting.. Enjoy !!

King_Crud

get the business class Eurostar over (I've gone for too many business trips there but haven't had time to sight see since about 15 years ago). That's all I can recommend.

Also please blow up the Paris office of my company. Also can you change the employment laws in France while you're there, so we can at least fire some of the staff in our Paris office.

No, no, I'm not bitter about anything......

King_Crud

Actually learn some basic French for ordering things and you'll find the service is great. This should do:

Bonour - hello
Je Voudrais - I would like
Un - a
Avec - with
le vin rouge/blanc - the red/white wine
Grande - large
Petit - small
Merci - thanks

You should pretty much be able to order most things with those words if you have a menu with you.

Logicalman

Quote from: King_Crud on September 25, 2013, 03:54:27 PM
Actually learn some basic French for ordering things and you'll find the service is great. This should do:

Bonour - hello
Je Voudrais - I would like
Un - a
Avec - with
le vin rouge/blanc - the red/white wine
Grande - large
Petit - small
Merci - thanks

You should pretty much be able to order most things with those words if you have a menu with you.

.. and if your single AND still remember the song by Labelle, there's another phrase for you.

HatterDon

The best advice I ever got about getting on with Parisians:

1. Try the language
2. Ask for help -- directions, etc. -- like New Yorkers, Parisians have a horrible reputation but love to help out-of-towners.
3. GENTLY flirt -- with members of the opposite sex.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Only Me

I found the Parisians to be very rude, they are not very keen on English people, however beautiful city. The best bargain is the Batobus Boat trip down the Seine, you can get on and off several times if you wish, it takes you to all the main tourist places, Notre-Dame is magnificent. Enjoy

Huxley

Try "Bonjour, parlez vous anglais?" .... they will typically say "un peux" or "a little bit/not much"... if they say non... nothing to loose witch butchered french, some english words and charades.

In terms of toristic things to do... La Sainte-Chapelle is a magical small church on Ilse d'Paris. Bit of a queue sometimes, but worth the wait.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Chapelle

Skip Notre Dame interior, just like any great cathedral in Europe, nothing too special and fairly small. Instead do the Catacombes, entrance nearby

Musee d'orsay is a great alternative to the Luvre. Too much too see at the Luvre, unless you narrow it down to a certain style of art. Mona Lisa (have been told) is a waste of time, as you only have 10 seconds to see it. Very vierw across paris through teh clockface at the Musee D'Orsay.

Watch out for dog s#it. Also, pick pockets around Montmatre (at the top and below). Great views across Paris from up there.

Although a tourist trap, you gotta go up the Eifferl Tower.

Palace of Versailles is amazing. 1 hr from central Paris. Buy tickets online to avoid the first ticket buying queue. There is still a 2nd queue to get through security.