watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Credit where credit is due - thoughts from the Cottage

Started by Jimpav, September 25, 2013, 12:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Jol's substitutions were spot on and effectively won us the game.

I haven't had anything good to say about him for a while but he played his hand well tonight. Bent made an immediate impact and freed up Berbatov to get stuck in and help out without hindering our attack.

Taarabt was below par tonight and deserved to come off. Hopefully this won't knock his confidence. Riise was also poor and looked like he had a niggle when he came off. Amirobeta was excellent despite not playing CB.

Stockdale made some important saves but had Everton been sharper we could have been 3-0 down at half time. He's a talented young keeper though and as his confidence grows and our defence stabilise I can see him going far.

Kasami was impressive tonight. He worked hard and looked like he had a point to prove. He provided some attacking intent that we have lacked.

Karagounis did well to last 90 mins. Worked his socks off and made a good partnership with Parker. Shame we couldn't have signed him a few years earlier - he would make a good captain.

The first half was pretty shocking but the muppets that booed were out of order. Booing is bad enough at the end of a match but to boo when we are only 1-0 down is mind boggling.

Generally it was a good atmosphere tonight though. We made a lot of noise and the majority of the hammy end were on their feet for the last 10 minutes. Everton fans were unusually quiet and only really sang once they scored and to acknowledge Miralles. There were no songs directed at Jol or Khan but it's early days.

I enjoyed Kasami geeing up the crowd tonight and also appreciated the applause at the end from Parker, Bent, Kasami, Stockdale and Hangeland. A nice touch.

It's hard to read much into a cup game but it was good to see us win and some good performances from the team.

Cardiff will be a big test, I just hope that Jol is up to the challenge.

The Bronsons

I would LOVE to be proved wrong about Martin Jol. Tonight was a good start.

Logicalman

Quote from: The Bronsons on September 25, 2013, 12:47:29 AM
I would LOVE to be proved wrong about Martin Jol. Tonight was a good start.

That's good to hear. Hopefully he will continue, fingers crossed on that one.

Pluto

SimpleTactics

Hate to be pessimistic but as it stands it was a one off, yet still a good performance. We will see if we can carry on the more fluent attacking play in the premier league.

Logicalman

Quote from: SimpleTactics on September 25, 2013, 01:17:23 AM
Hate to be pessimistic but as it stands it was a one off, yet still a good performance. We will see if we can carry on the more fluent attacking play in the premier league.

I agree totally, though, even a one-off does provide both some relief from the immense pressure the team, the club and the fans were feeling, together with a realisation that it can be done, and Jol can do it.

Notwithstanding though, the double-edged sword can also signal that after seeing what CAN be achieved, future failure to maintain that status  might prove doubly fatal for Jol. He has put up once, he will need to repeat that a number of times to sway over those fans that still want to believe in him.

ChesterTheTabby

I want to truly believe in Jol, and even though at times he seems 'lost in the sauce', there are times like tonight where he made the right decisions and in the second half 'his players' showed up big time. I want to believe in Martin, and a win against Cardiff and a win/draw (At the worst) against Stoke while playing some attractive and fluent football like he touts he wants Fulham to represent would win me completely over.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Deanothefulhamfan

I think the performance yesterday was just as important as the result. We all know we have a good squad on paper, whoch is probably why some of us are so frustrated when we play as poorly as we have been doing this season.

Jol got it spot on last night and dsserves the credit... Made the right subs, and actually playing kaca on the right worked wonders.  He had a very competent zverotic behind him, but put in his best performance of the season.

Cardiff is the must win though.... we need to perform like we did yeseterday for 65 minutes and we will be fine

The Old Count

Coming from behind was doubly important. It shows there is belief in the squad. It's all set up for Cardiff, stoke and Palace. 7 points from those three and we'll be back on track.

MrProphet

Gotta say I agree that the people booing are muppets but not entirely unexpected as at half time it looked to be yet another painful Home performance

While it was heartening to watch a very good second half performance I would ask the question why we yet again started poorly. To appease the boo boys we need two good entire game performances against Cardiff and stoke or last night means nothing

BestOfBrede

As the players begin to gel we will see alot more good performances - they just need time.

Karagounis: Great worker and good player but please please stop going down at the slightest touch! Then rolling around as if really hurt until you realise that the ref has awarded a free kick, and get up as if nothing has happened! It's not Fulham.

Crowd: Booing a reasonable performance where most were giving everything to the cause and we were only 1 nil down is a disgrace! I'm sure some 'supporters' really wanted us to lose just so they can have another go at the Manager.  

Deanothefulhamfan

Karagounis does annoy me a little bit with his antics, but at the same time he is funny to watch. I agree it is not the Fulham way but I really like him as a player, so I won't be overly critical....

He has done it his whole career, and as the saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

BishopsParkFantastic

That was an excellent result last night, and real positives that our players showed some passion, commitment and energy in making the comeback from one nil down. It is clear that Jol made effective substitutions. Football is about individual character and chemistry of players working well together as a team and trusting each other - even when things get tough. I think the players on the pitch at the end of the match deserve to keep their places and formation for the Cardiff match, and I know that would put Kasami out of position (with Berba and Bent up front) - hopefully, Deja will be on the bench as a potential sub for wide right position and Mesca potentially for Kaca.

Without discrediting last night's managerial performance from Jol (his half time motivation and positional changes obviously worked), I still have questions over the quality of his original team selection, particularly with the selection of Taarbadt, Kaca on the right, and not putting Bent and Berba together up front.

Boo boys exist at Premiership matches because everything is media and money driven towards the mantra of winning - but the level and quality of performance is for me, the imperative. Unfortunately, boo boys seem to be a modern product of the game.

We should not lower our expectations - to win against Cardiff and to win against Stoke!

RoyTund

Booing has become cheap and it will only mean the management of the club will take no notice.

Bent is hugely important to our season.  Kasami could be making the breakthrough I had hoped for.

shnlwswlkr

I would never Boo Fulham, but maybe them getting boo'd at half time was the kick up the backside they needed.   They came straight out with intent, playing much better from 2nd half kick off, I wouldn't be so fast to put it down to martin jols subs.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

God The Mechanic

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on September 25, 2013, 10:30:30 AM
I would never Boo Fulham, but maybe them getting boo'd at half time was the kick up the backside they needed.   They came straight out with intent, playing much better from 2nd half kick off, I wouldn't be so fast to put it down to martin jols subs.

If booing was the kick up the arse they needed, the poor run wouldn't have lasted as long as it has :P

premFlem

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on September 25, 2013, 08:58:42 AM
That was an excellent result last night, and real positives that our players showed some passion, commitment and energy in making the comeback from one nil down. It is clear that Jol made effective substitutions. Football is about individual character and chemistry of players working well together as a team and trusting each other - even when things get tough. I think the players on the pitch at the end of the match deserve to keep their places and formation for the Cardiff match, and I know that would put Kasami out of position (with Berba and Bent up front) - hopefully, Deja will be on the bench as a potential sub for wide right position and Mesca potentially for Kaca.

Without discrediting last night's managerial performance from Jol (his half time motivation and positional changes obviously worked), I still have questions over the quality of his original team selection, particularly with the selection of Taarbadt, Kaca on the right, and not putting Bent and Berba together up front.

Boo boys exist at Premiership matches because everything is media and money driven towards the mantra of winning - but the level and quality of performance is for me, the imperative. Unfortunately, boo boys seem to be a modern product of the game.

We should not lower our expectations - to win against Cardiff and to win against Stoke!

I've heard booing at Fulham through all four divisions and can honestly say its always been aimed at the manager and not the team, the buck stops there. As far as last night goes we hadnt won at the cottage for six months and the first half was more of the same so found the boo's understandable, those who pay have their say. I found the second half encouraging and really hope Jol can turn this around.....we'll see after cardiff stoke and palace.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

The Old Count

I don't remember any booing when Bill Dodgin Jnr was the manager or Stock or McDonald.

The worst Booing  I ever heard was against Dicks. That and of course the now legendary chant, starting at windy corner and going all round the ground like a Mexican Wave,  of 'Dicks Out'

nose

Mao said, the longest journey starts with the first step.
If the second half last night was the first step then I am happy to be optimistic.
I am prepared to believe we will be more positive and adopt a more pressing style from now on and let's see what happens. If we go back to what was dished up in the first half then I will not..... BUT for now I am optimistic things are about to change, why not?

Peabody

Hate to disagree with you all but I really enjoyed the game last night. I was worried at first but about 20 mins into the first half, I thought Everton seemed to think they had the game won and by the end of 45 mins, we were on top. I was really taken aback at the booing, which was, as always, uncalled for. Second half was, in my opinion,  all ours.

, Everton did have their moments but our players defended really well for a well deserved victory