watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stek might need surgery

Started by Zu-Meister, September 26, 2013, 11:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zu-Meister

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-worried-maarten-stekelenburg-out-2306666?

Fulham fear they could be without keeper Maarten Stekelenburg for the long-term if he needs a shoulder operation.

The Cottagers' summer signing from Roma got crocked in the win at Sunderland on the opening day of the season, and hasn't featured since.

Stekelenburg aggravated the problem in training and has been having pain-killing injections in a bid to fix it.

Boss Martin Jol said: "He will be out for the next two weeks and then we will make an assessment.

"If it is not right, it probably needs an operation.

"It's a matter of over-stretching all the time and then he feels a lot of pain, so we have to be very careful."

JackyFulham90

Such a shame he is a top keeper, very concerning this injury he has picked up, luckily for us we have a great keeper in Stockdale

valdeingruo

No kidding, imagine if we had sent him out on loan or forbid sold him. No offense to Etheridge, he seems like a good prospect but it wouldnt have been good to throw him in the deep end.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Deanothefulhamfan

I thought Etheridge played really well when he got given his one chance in the Europa league, but that being said, it would be too much to expect of a young keeper to play week in week out at the top level. Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end though.

I think Stockdale has done well this season, and would not drop him as soon as stek was fit anyway.... Stek is a huge worry though, surgery could mean a very long time out... We might not see him before November

Logicalman

I agree, I have confidence in Stockers, he is gaining confidence each game, and showed recently that he can put up when he needs to.

As for Stek though, if the shoulder keeps on being aggravated the way it is, both short and long term don't look good. I used to have niggling injuries to my fingers when I played (many moons back now), and playing with pain killers or strapping is not the way to go for very long. These days I have very minor arthritis in those fingers.

Berserker

Still think there must have been an underlying problem when we bought him. Anyway Stockers for me
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MasterHaynes

Didn't he fall out with Roma manager over an injury.

Dragoman

It's ironic that had Schwarzer stayed he would now be playing instead of Stek and perhaps holding on as first choice for some time. He might have then kept his place in the Australian squad and played in the World Cup. Instead he has been dropped by Australia and is not getting much exposure at Chelsea.

Ordar

Bad news for Stekelenberg. Luckly we have amazing depth at the goalkeeper position so its not as big an issue as it could have been. Stockdale has been great on the whole (except the mistake against Chelsea). I've liked what I've seen from Etheridge aswell. He got outstanding reviews when he was out on loan.

EJL

Quote from: Dragoman on September 27, 2013, 09:25:48 AM
It's ironic that had Schwarzer stayed he would now be playing instead of Stek and perhaps holding on as first choice for some time. He might have then kept his place in the Australian squad and played in the World Cup. Instead he has been dropped by Australia and is not getting much exposure at Chelsea.
Really?

MJG

Quote from: EJL on September 27, 2013, 09:40:57 AM
Quote from: Dragoman on September 27, 2013, 09:25:48 AM
Really?
He was left out of last squad, but the coach said it was to look at the other GK's in case MS got injured

Holders

I'm pleased that Stockers is doing well but Stek is our first choice and I want him fit. Just as well Stockers didn't move on, though, or we'd have been asking for Schwarzer back on loan!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jarv

A few years ago, I had surgery on my shoulder and it took a long time to recover. Nightmare to be honest, difficulty sleeping, etc. It is one of those areas where it is painful to do anything, even things like making a cup of tea.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: jarv on September 27, 2013, 10:52:00 AM
A few years ago, I had surgery on my shoulder and it took a long time to recover. Nightmare to be honest, difficulty sleeping, etc. It is one of those areas where it is painful to do anything, even things like making a cup of tea.

He's a Premier League footballer.

Someone else can make him tea.

the nutflush

I know a pro tennis player who has been out since May and had an operation on his shoulder in late June and he is nowhere near ready to play again.  He had a SLAP labrum tear.  If Stek has the same sort of thing you can expect not to see him again until February and thats if they operate striaght away. 

HatterDon

For all the legendary rigor of our medical staff in vetting potential transfers, we do seem to have signed some folks in the last few years that have, shortly after signing, manifested the same injuries that had derailed their careers at another club.

I was used to my club signing "names" who could no longer cut it at the top level because of injury or just wear, but that was when I supported a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th division team. Based on these injuries and Jol's comments about Boateng, I'm really wondering if there is a master plan for the first team. I know there is for the development squad.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jmh

Very unfortunate.  We're lucky to have a backup as good as Stockdale.

Artful Dodger

Jol said that he was still training and it only hurt when he stretches!?!? Why carry on training if he's not fit??

Quote: "But the strange thing is that he trains with us. It's only a matter of over stretching all the time and then he feels a lot of pain. He had an operation on his other shoulder so we have to be very careful."

Our legendary medical staff must be taking an alternative view on this one...

Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Bassey the warrior

Says a lot for Stocker's performances that I've barely thought about Stekelenburg. Stockdale is doing a fine job by and large.

Pluto

I bet we're glad we didn't accept that £2m bid from Hull now (if the rumours were true). This run has to be doing Stockdale's England chances some good too!